Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Robert, with 2S you won't break anymore than you will with NiMH's. Not much difference except the power is there when you need it most.I was nervous too in the beginning but it is the best change I made ever, longer run times, more power and maybe better speed. A lipo bag will do in your environment just fine. Like said before up grade as you break things, easier on the wallet.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Robert, with 2S you won't break anymore than you will with NiMH's. Not much difference except the power is there when you need it most.I was nervous too in the beginning but it is the best change I made ever, longer run times, more power and maybe better speed. A lipo bag will do in your environment just fine. Like said before up grade as you break things, easier on the wallet.
    Well the goal is to try not to break the stock parts before upgrading because I want to build another slash 4x4 after I do the LCG conversion and upgrade everything. But if I do, there is always dollar hobbyz.
    Bash the Slash!

+1 to DollarHobbyz but if I need to replace a stock broken part I look towards RPM,STRC or Traxxas, Any plastic going back plastic get's RPM and any part I can get away with aluminum goes to STRC and Traxxas.
    Stampede/Rustler

+1 to DollarHobbyz but if I need to replace a stock broken part I look towards RPM,STRC or Traxxas, Any plastic going back plastic get's RPM and any part I can get away with aluminum goes to STRC and Traxxas.
    I know, I mean for stock parts just for a spare rc
    Bash the Slash!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just wait until something breaks. Then upgrade. Both of my neighbors have Slash 4x4s now and both are running just fine and are pretty close to stock. Plastic motor mount and all. Both only run 2s.

So I need to buy:
    Venom Pro 3 Charger
    Traxxas charger connector
    Lipo Bag
    2s LiPo

I don't have any money for rc right now so it will probably be a long time before I can get those things. But, they are next on the list.
    Bash the Slash!

Sorry. Looking at another post.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why not just keep the Traxxas charger? That will keep costs down. I'm not sure what you meant by "I can't stop it". You simply unplug it from the wall. If you want to charge it on your dresser, just go buy a 99 cent floor tile from Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Why not just keep the Traxxas charger? That will keep costs down. I'm not sure what you meant by "I can't stop it". You simply unplug it from the wall. If you want to charge it on your dresser, just go buy a 99 cent floor tile from Home Depot.
    It is supposed to stop when you press to stop button, but it doesn't.
    Bash the Slash!

Alfredmadere
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ311 View Post
    I really don't want to have to deal with fires or anything for just driving my RC. So I've decided to just stay away from lipos and use strictly nimh. My RC may not perform as well, but I can just drive it and have fun instead of thinking about how I would put a fire out. So what nimh battery do you guys recommend?
    i have never had any problems for 3 years, i have no lipo bag

It is supposed to stop when you press to stop button, but it doesn't.
    Which model charger do you have? How long ago did you purchase it? Have you tried contacting Traxxas, they are always there for you.
    Stampede/Rustler

Which model charger do you have? How long ago did you purchase it? Have you tried contacting Traxxas, they are always there for you.
    It is the Ez peak plus ID 4 amp charger. I've had it for 3 months and it has always done this. I have not called them. Also, the fan gets stuck or something and makes a loud grinding noise. I have to start charging on its side and slowly set it flat for it not to do that.
    Bash the Slash!

It is the Ez peak plus ID 4 amp charger. I've had it for 3 months and it has always done this. I have not called them. Also, the fan gets stuck or something and makes a loud grinding noise. I have to start charging on its side and slowly set it flat for it not to do that.
    I would not hesitate to give them a call.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    I charge mine in my parents car. like when going to school. if something catches fire, its not my stuff

and

any battery will do crazy things if you dont treat it properly. if you treat a nimh like trash it will explode or something. same with a lipo. if you're just caustious nothing will happen. just get a good lipo, a good lipo charger and a lipo bag. (I dont use a lipo bag)

and most catching fire vids are old. lipos nowdays are safer
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if something catches fire, its not my stuff
    WOW... you should have more respect for your parents "stuff" than that.

I charge mine in my parents car. like when going to school. if something catches fire, its not my stuff
    This is what you think of the people that feed you, clothes you and keep a roof over your head, and more then likely bought your truck in the first place.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Woah, my friends, let's ease up on Jelle318. I hope this young kid was just being facetious. I recently got viciously attacked on this forum for my humor! We got to be more mellow dudes. Nevertheless, you'd better have been kidding Jelle318!
    Obstacle Magnet

Alfredmadere
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Woah, my friends, let's ease up on Jelle318. I hope this young kid was just being facetious. I recently got viciously attacked on this forum for my humor! We got to be more mellow dudes. Nevertheless, you'd better have been kidding Jelle318!
    i agree yes i do

Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post

and

any battery will do crazy things if you dont treat it properly. if you treat a nimh like trash it will explode or something. same with a lipo. if you're just caustious nothing will happen. just get a good lipo, a good lipo charger and a lipo bag. (I dont use a lipo bag)

and most catching fire vids are old. lipos nowdays are safer
    AS Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory would say " Sarcasm ?"
    Thanks
    Fred

AS Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory would say " Sarcasm ?"
    I want to believe so as he has always seemed like a fine young man.
    I recently got viciously attacked on this forum for my humor
    You always throw the word "Sarcasm" in there for those who have yet to figure out your brand of humor.

You may want to remember there stuff is your stuff Jelle318.

We've all made are share of mistakes, I'm sure one day I'm bound to make one
    "Sarcasm".
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-26-2015 at 06:02 PM.

I'm never wrong.
    I thought I was once... but I was only mistaken.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    well, the reason why my parents bought me my rc and stuff and spent over 10 000 euro, is because Im a responsible kid. I do the dishes, the clothes, a water the plants etc, chores. I win tennis tournaments and I do not game that often. so my parents say that I deserve all these stuff. and remember, I'm an expat kid.

Woah, my friends, let's ease up on Jelle318. I hope this young kid was just being facetious. I recently got viciously attacked on this forum for my humor!
    No way! Let me at em' let me at em'
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I'm never wrong.
    I thought I was once... but I was only mistaken.
    Now that's funny stuff right there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post
    well, the reason why my parents bought me my rc and stuff and spent over 10 000 euro, is because Im a responsible kid. I do the dishes, the clothes, a water the plants etc, chores. I win tennis tournaments and I do not game that often. so my parents say that I deserve all these stuff. and remember, I'm an expat kid.
    Well at least you earn your keep! Sounds like you are an outstanding young lad and your parents realize it. Keep up the good work.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think Jelle318 is a fine young man and a good online friend. Never said he wasn't. I just wanted to "yell" at him for making that "not my stuff" statement. LOL

RC Qualifier
    I just wanted to "yell" at him for making that "not my stuff" statement. LOL
    haha.

atleast I'm not like the kids sitting behing their computers constantly or being rude and drinking all sodas. did I mention that I hardly eat junk food like chips and soda?

Ouch, that hurt. I just finished a can of Coca-cola.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Ouch, that hurt. I just finished a can of Coca-cola.
    lol

(10 characters)

RC Competitor
    Alright back on topic. On my opinion traxxas or duatrax nimh's are the best. Use your nimh until you build your driving skills, then jump to lipo's. Call traxxas about your charger it seems to have some issues. I personally wouldn't use it at all if the buttons don't work properly. If they won't fix the problem (wich they most likely will) I recommend getting the Onyx 235 or 245 charger, they are the same except the 245 can charge 2 batteries at a time. The 245 is around $110 - 120 the 235 can be gotten around $80-90. SPC make great lipo's and are very affordable charge them near you so you can monitor them and hear when charging is done. As for a lipo bag I don't use one never have wasn't gunna drop the cash on one, but get creative I charge mine in a modified stove pot if I'm not at my work bench. Took the handle off drilled some holes in the lid good to go.

How does the Onyx compare with Hyperion?

You can get a new Onyx 235 for $70!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onyx-235-rc-...item2c9ecd507e
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by puddmaxx View Post
    Alright back on topic. On my opinion traxxas or duatrax nimh's are the best. Use your nimh until you build your driving skills, then jump to lipo's. Call traxxas about your charger it seems to have some issues. I personally wouldn't use it at all if the buttons don't work properly. If they won't fix the problem (wich they most likely will) I recommend getting the Onyx 235 or 245 charger, they are the same except the 245 can charge 2 batteries at a time. The 245 is around $110 - 120 the 235 can be gotten around $80-90. SPC make great lipo's and are very affordable charge them near you so you can monitor them and hear when charging is done. As for a lipo bag I don't use one never have wasn't gunna drop the cash on one, but get creative I charge mine in a modified stove pot if I'm not at my work bench. Took the handle off drilled some holes in the lid good to go.
    The 245 has 100-7500mah range.
    The 235 has a 50-9900mah range.
    There are a few other subtle differences but nothing that would be a deal breaker for either one.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with your Onyx, I still use mine from time to time, its never failed me after three years.
    I bought a 235 before I realized I was going to be in the hobby for a while and then bought the best, well best imo powerlab6.

Quote Originally Posted by puddmaxx View Post
    SPC make great lipo's and are very affordable charge them near you so you can monitor them and hear when charging is done. As for a lipo bag I don't use one never have wasn't gunna drop the cash on one, but get creative I charge mine in a modified stove pot if I'm not at my work bench. Took the handle off drilled some holes in the lid good to go.
    SPC and SMC are for sure the best bang for the buck right now. I like your idea of using the stove pot to charge your packs...good thinking. However I feel a lipo bag is also a simple alternative to store/charge lipos. Cost can't be a factor here as most lipo sacks are $10 or less. We spend $100s on this hobby so a $10 lipo bag is definitely an affordable solution to the lipo storage issue. Is it a perfect solution? No, but a solution none the less.
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 07-28-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Smc, imo, hold more mah for a given rating vs any other brand. I have a 2s 5000mAh 50c lipo, one from smc and two from spc, and when run all the way down (7v) the spc charges to just under 5000mAh, an the spc charges all the way to jut under 6000mah. They are both good, but I like smc better

For a LiPo safety container while charging, I recommend only using these: http://www.liposack.com/

Most other packs can't even compare to the safety of the Liposack from what I've read.
    Obstacle Magnet

How does the Onyx compare with Hyperion?

You can get a new Onyx 235 for $70!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onyx-235-rc-...item2c9ecd507e
    I have had a Hyperion charger for many years and I absolutely love it! it is 180 watts and it does what it is supposed to do. If I get the right connectors it is able to charge four 3s lipos at the same time! I highly recommend Hyperion chargers
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I've had the Hyperion Eos720I Net 3 for over five years now and I love it. What Hyperion model do you have El Sob?
    Obstacle Magnet

UPDATE: I have been using only my SPC 2s, no nimh at all, for awhile now and I am looking into a 3s lipo soon. I am so glad I started using lipos! Thanks guys.
    Bash the Slash!

UPDATE: I have been using only my SPC 2s, no nimh at all, for awhile now and I am looking into a 3s lipo soon. I am so glad I started using lipos! Thanks guys.
    Great to hear it.

I stopped using NiMH completely about six years ago and am only using LiPo. I wish I had made the change to LiPo sooner!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    To be honest they are no more dangerous than the batteries that power your smartphones and laptops. You have one of those dont you? and You leave the laptop in your house and your phone in your pocket but they still happen to "burn".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12