Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stripping gears...

I never had a problem stripping gears until I started getting big air off jumps. What gives? I got a sla2h that I recently switched over to 32p gears and I can't keep a spur gear on it. I was having trouble with the pinion moving and that I fixed by adding a little groove on my motor shaft. I still use the paper trick to set my gear spacing. I have went through 6 spur gears and I'm kinda getting tired of it. An I jumping it to hard?
    Just another bash addict...

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
    I never had a problem stripping gears until I started getting big air off jumps. What gives? I got a sla2h that I recently switched over to 32p gears and I can't keep a spur gear on it. I was having trouble with the pinion moving and that I fixed by adding a little groove on my motor shaft. I still use the paper trick to set my gear spacing. I have went through 6 spur gears and I'm kinda getting tired of it. An I jumping it to hard?
    Are you letting off the throttle when the truck lands, are the motor bearings in good shape.
    Have you tried listening to the mesh rather then the paper method, imo the paper method is a little to tight for 32p gears.
    I like to put my finger on the spur and hear it hit the pinion when moved back and forth.
    Also turn your spur 180 after you set your mesh, its possible the spur may not be spinning true for some reason.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Landing with full power is hard on your drive train, but your slipper should absorb most of that.

Started out using paper to set gear mesh, now I just have a feel for it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Are you letting off the throttle when the truck lands, are the motor bearings in good shape.
    Have you tried listening to the mesh rather then the paper method, imo the paper method is a little to tight for 32p gears.
    I like to put my finger on the spur and hear it hit the pinion when moved back and forth.
    Also turn your spur 180 after you set your mesh, its possible the spur may not be spinning true for some reason.
    I'm using the throttle only up to the point the truck takes off. Sometimes I may blip the throttle to pull the front up but I hardly jump with the front low, in fact, most of the time I tap the brake to get the front down.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Landing with full power is hard on your drive train, but your slipper should absorb most of that.

Started out using paper to set gear mesh, now I just have a feel for it.
    I learned early on to never land full throttle, thanks to this forum. But as far as gear mesh, I had gotten pretty good with the 48p gears, but these 32 pitch it seems a little different. Should there just barely be a gap between both gear points when they come together? Does a little gear cause problems?

I can post a picture of the gear mesh as soon as I get new spur gears.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-27-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I've had great luck with my gears on mine. Bashing, some racing, never had any stripped gears. When jumping are you letting off the throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike mechanic View Post
    I've had great luck with my gears on mine. Bashing, some racing, never had any stripped gears. When jumping are you letting off the throttle?
    I just answered this question. I do not make it a habit to land in this manor. Like I said, I never had this issue either until I started getting big air, 6ft+.

RC Enthusiast
    How much tension are you running on your slipper? How many turns out are you from full compress? Are you running a metal/metal or metal/plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean724 View Post
    How much tension are you running on your slipper? How many turns out are you from full compress? Are you running a metal/metal or metal/plastic?
    Metal pinion & plastic spur. I tighten down the slipper until tight, then back it off about 1/4 to 3/4 turn. The last spur gear I stripped I was backing it out at least 3/4 turn.

Metal pinion & plastic spur. I tighten down the slipper until tight, then back it off about 1/4 to 3/4 turn. The last spur gear I stripped I was backing it out at least 3/4 turn.
    Its starting to sound like more of a flex upon impact thing then a gear mesh issue.
    It might take a bit but I would start to dismantle the rig with a close eye starting with the trans and look for cracks, something that can flex enough to separate the gears causing them to strip when they slam back together.
    I know it sounds a bit extreme but after we exhaust all the logical things we have to search beyond logic.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-27-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Its starting to sound like more of a flex upon impact thing then a gear mesh issue.
    It might take a bit but I would start to dismantle the rig with a close eye starting with the trans and look for cracks, something that can flex enough to separate the gears causing them to strip when they slam back together.
    I know it sounds a bit extreme but after we exhaust all the logical things we have to search beyond logic.
    I get what your saying. I actually went through the transmission before I seen this post. I can look again, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm pushing my sla2h to far from what it's capable of. This jump I have is made of wood and there's times the truck is 10-12ft off the ground, if not more. I know it's different from landing on wood rather than dirt.

RC Racer
    As said before, if the gear mesh is right, next the problem is your bearings. To much play on the upper shaft bearings. Is the transmission shimmed properly?

Quote Originally Posted by radugns View Post
    Is the transmission shimmed properly?
    Shimmed? I put it back together just as it was taken back apart.

Paper method:
    [IMG][IMG]

This is what I got that felt right when rotating the gears:
    [IMG][IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Paper method:
    [IMG][IMG]

This is what I got that felt right when rotating the gears:
    [IMG][IMG]
    Your current mesh looks a bit too loose to me, but no matter what method you use, be sure that you check the mesh in multiple spots, most spur gears are a little out of round. Just my $.02
    DRIVER CARRIES NO CASH!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan55 View Post
    Your current mesh looks a bit too loose to me, but no matter what method you use, be sure that you check the mesh in multiple spots, most spur gears are a little out of round. Just my $.02
    The mesh I am going for is having just barely a gap in between gears - but I'm trying to learn more by feel than just looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan55 View Post
    So just barely a little but tighter mesh? Kind of in between these two pictures.

So just barely a little but tighter mesh? Kind of in between these two pictures.
    I would give in between a go then as I stated in post two rotate your lay shaft and spur to be certain the mesh stays the same.
    The lay shaft (top gear or spur shaft) maybe bent ever so slightly.
    Heres a pic of my 23/56 setup, with these gears nothing is going to hurt them, something else in the drive train will give first.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I can go by sound as well, the quieter the better for me.
    I do this on a stand with both high speed rigs as well as my crawlers.

So, billy, are those metal on metal gears?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    So, billy, are those metal on metal gears?
    Its a hardened Absolute Robinson Racing spur and a Robinson Racing Absolute pinion.
    If you dont run a hardened pinion that spur will eat in within a pack.
    Believe it or not the gears your looking at have over two years of use on them, I change pinions here and there but the spur remains the same.
    Pay more in the beginning and save in the long run, I have 9-23 tooth 32p RR hardened pinions for the above 2wd rig, my 2wd FLM rig and scx10 scale rig.

Same spur two years ago after an off road race, same tekno axles as well, yes tekno are that good.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-28-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added olde gear pic.

RC Enthusiast
    That Robinson set up looks tough as nails. How's the noise factor and slipper feel with the Robinson spur? I've haven't seen one in person yet.

RC Qualifier
    Check the top shaft bearings for any play, and make sure that the bearing bores in the trans case aren't wallowed out. Look for any warping or hairline fractures in the case. If everything is kosher, try either the Robinson slipper like Billy has, or a Hot Racing steel spur. I have the HR spur on my rig, no problems to report after many miles. I chose it over the Robinson because it is much, much lighter, and, in my mind, must be easier on the top shaft bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    Check the top shaft bearings for any play, and make sure that the bearing bores in the trans case aren't wallowed out. Look for any warping or hairline fractures in the case. If everything is kosher, try either the Robinson slipper like Billy has, or a Hot Racing steel spur. I have the HR spur on my rig, no problems to report after many miles. I chose it over the Robinson because it is much, much lighter, and, in my mind, must be easier on the top shaft bearings.
    Check the top shaft bearings for any play, and make sure that the bearing bores in the trans case aren't wallowed out. Look for any warping or hairline fractures in the case.
    Agreed 100%, time to look for the things that can often be over looked at first glance.

That Robinson set up looks tough as nails. How's the noise factor and slipper feel with the Robinson spur? I've haven't seen one in person yet.
    This has a lot to do with mesh, also one of the reasons I do it on a bench.
    I've found the best mesh is when they are running the quietest.
    More then once I've been approached with surprise when fellow racers find I'm running metal to metal gears.
    Almost forgot, the slipper rocks because it can be let to slip to the point of melting any plastic spur, run 3s and 4s through a 2400 kv at 23/56 can be a push.
    I had it blue with heat at 330 before, just didn't want to stop with five laps left.

I would like to add a disclaimer, running metal to metal gears can cause more damage to other things in your drive line as they will fail to give as a $3 plastic spur.
    This can add to a much larger repair bill should something get lodged between them causing and instant stop from high rpm's.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-28-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added slipper imfo.

Do you run a cover over your gears?

Do you run a cover over your gears?
    It depends, as a rule yes, on a track you have to so the marshals dont get their finger tore up.
    Also not running a cover just increases the chances of a pebble getting caught in there.

In the above pic with everything covered with sand , it was raining and everyone was in a hurry so I didnt bother, but also had to wait for the marshals to confirm my fingers where nowhere near the throttle before they would put it back on all fours.

It depends, as a rule yes, on a track you have to so the marshals dont get their finger tore up.
    Also not running a cover just increases the chances of a pebble getting caught in there.

In the above pic with everything covered with sand , it was raining and everyone was in a hurry so I didnt bother, but also had to wait for the marshals to confirm my fingers where nowhere near the throttle before they would put it back on all fours.
    I've learned pretty quickly that if I want to use 32 pitch spurs I have to use either a 52 or 54 tooth to keep my cover on.

I've learned pretty quickly that if I want to use 32 pitch spurs I have to use either a 52 or 54 tooth to keep my cover on.
    I can cover the 56 tooth Robinson with an rpm cover with no problems, it close but works.
    I haven't used a stock cover in longer then I can recall, the hole by the axle kind of defeated the purpose imo.

I can cover the 56 tooth Robinson with an rpm cover with no problems, it close but works.
    I haven't used a stock cover in longer then I can recall, the hole by the axle kind of defeated the purpose imo.
    That's good to know. I just ordered this:
    [IMG][IMG]

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I'm not sure I would go with that. RPM makes very good products, but I feel this is not one of them. The screws connecting the chassis to this gearbox pulled out of the plastic in a short amount of time. I too, do a lot of hard jumping and finally got an FLM tranny case. My problem was keeping a tranny attatched to my chassis! After 3 stock ones, the RPM one, my FLM unit is holding up great! Are you sure your motor isn't slipping upon hard landings? That was a common problem for me. Nothing on my truck is stock.

I pretty much only bash at the local skate park.

Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    I'm not sure I would go with that. RPM makes very good products, but I feel this is not one of them. The screws connecting the chassis to this gearbox pulled out of the plastic in a short amount of time. I too, do a lot of hard jumping and finally got an FLM tranny case. My problem was keeping a tranny attatched to my chassis! After 3 stock ones, the RPM one, my FLM unit is holding up great! Are you sure your motor isn't slipping upon hard landings? That was a common problem for me. Nothing on my truck is stock.
    I will make these changes as my wife allows me to spend more money, lol.

I've had great luck with both my rpm trans cases, one is going on a sand rig pretty soon.
    I run a flm also but have never had an issue with rpm.
    I have heard of a few people with issues but masses raving about the rpm trans case.
    I run two an neither has given me reason for concern.
    I will add some care should be used when tightening the screws, they are going into plastic and can strip if your not careful.

One more thing, if you use tekno axles you'll have to remove a small amount of the aluminum plate as it will interfere with the axle yoke.

One more thing, if you use tekno axles you'll have to remove a small amount of the aluminum plate as it will interfere with the axle yoke.
    Good to know.

So, I really worked on my gear mesh and modified my stock cover to allow it to stay on and not rub the gear, everything now seems to be fine. The one time I had an issue a small stick had gotten in between the gears so I am definitely keeping the cover on when just bashing. Removing the cover for racing, does that help with heat transfer?

So, I really worked on my gear mesh and modified my stock cover to allow it to stay on and not rub the gear, everything now seems to be fine. The one time I had an issue a small stick had gotten in between the gears so I am definitely keeping the cover on when just bashing. Removing the cover for racing, does that help with heat transfer?
    Running the rpm case without a cover does a better job of keeping the temps down.
    Once you cover the plate heat cant escape as fast.

Running the rpm case without a cover does a better job of keeping the temps down.
    Once you cover the plate heat cant escape as fast.
    So for racing, remove cover, temps stay lower - for bashing, keep cover on to keep sticks, rock etc out but monitor temps a little closer, right?

So for racing, remove cover, temps stay lower - for bashing, keep cover on to keep sticks, rock etc out but monitor temps a little closer, right?
    No roar track will let you run without a cover, the marshals like their fingers the way they are.
    If your just bashing around keep the cover off if you like, you stand the chance of debris getting in the gears but that a chance you have to decide if you do or dont want to take.

No roar track will let you run without a cover, the marshals like their fingers the way they are.
    If your just bashing around keep the cover off if you like, you stand the chance of debris getting in the gears but that a chance you have to decide if you do or don't want to take.
    I didn't mean to say racing in competition, lol. Racing for fun. But I have been told a cover is needed for competition.

I didn't mean to say racing in competition, lol. Racing for fun. But I have been told a cover is needed for competition.
    Okay, know I understand.
    With 32p gears I wouldn't be as concerned about them being covered, tes there is a risk of something get it caught in there but as much as I enjoy both my rpm trans cases there is a definite difference without the cover.

RC Competitor
    i dont trust your top shaft bearings/topshaft can you move the top shaft up/down/left/right at ALL?
    i am sponsored by nobody and supported by my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester The Joker View Post
    i dont trust your top shaft bearings/topshaft can you move the top shaft up/down/left/right at ALL?
    I can. Have been able to since I purchased the truck. I actually started setting my gear mesh with this in mind, thought it was normal just like the bearings @ the hubs.

I started this project last night:
    [IMG][IMG]

I replaced all bearings and still felt some play once I got the covers secured together. Took it apart, doubled up the washers @ the output shaft and the play is gone, but I still have good smooth rotation. Think this will help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast