RC Racer

Mamba Monster X Install (Photos Included)

I recently acquired the Mamba Monster X and 2200kv Motor combo and decided to swap it out for the Sidewinder 8th system that I ran for about 1 year. The MMX ESC is bigger than the Sidewinder so I had to keep the same layout on the MMX...

Here is before...

... and here is After...

The ESC is being held down by a zip tie and it's not going anywhere... I drilled a whole on the side of the chassis and through the ESC stand and finally through the 1st wall of the center drive shaft space... The I looped the zip tie through the whole and around the ESC and you can even see that the center drive shaft cover had be dremmeled down to pass the zip tie...

There is more than enough space on both side on the ESC to keep the components from rubbing between the Servo and ESC...

... and between the motor...

Finally the ESC comes with an AUX cable and I left that one sticking out the receiver box to make it easier to fine tune the beast with the Castle Link... (White Cable sticking out receiver box)

Hope this helps future Mamba Monster X owners that need some reference on how to fit it in the very limit space provided in the Stampede 4x4 chassis... Any questions feel free to ask!

Are you having glitches with the datalogging? Mine has recorded a temp of -14f. It's 80 degrees here.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Are you having glitches with the datalogging? Mine has recorded a temp of -14f. It's 80 degrees here.
    To be honest that us something I have not tried... but will post as soon as I have something...

RC Racer
    So today I received something very nice in the mail... a new battery... a 4s lipo...

Can't wait to drive it!!! But I will have to wait until my day off from work... Wednesday can't come soon enough!!!

Still looks so crazy to me to have all that stuffed into the stampede 4x4 chassis.

I don't even like to run 3S. How do you even keep 4S on the ground?

RC Racer
    The nice thing about the MMX that I'm running is that I can fine tune every aspect of how the truck truck handles... so because of that you can go from an uncontrollable beast to a tamed puppy... or anything in between lol

RC Qualifier
    I'm stuck on the idea of cramming the strongest motor I can in my P4de but when I watch videos and they can't even give it half throttle without it being uncontrollable it leans me there other direction. Is the only benefit of the lower kV motor combos temp management on lipo?

RC Competitor
    cpstack suspension setup, tire & wheel combo is what will keep your truck in control no matter how big motor/esc combo is... my T bone wheelie bar also really helps keep control under power unless of course you enjoy backflips!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    I'm stuck on the idea of cramming the strongest motor I can in my P4de but when I watch videos and they can't even give it half throttle without it being uncontrollable it leans me there other direction. Is the only benefit of the lower kV motor combos temp management on lipo?
    temps will be no issue whatsoever for this truck and this system.
    guys are going to do it because they can but in all honesty a motor system like this while awesome is so over the top for a p4de it's hilarious. with the extra weight and length a sl4sh has it the power is at least manageable.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgjr47 View Post
    cpstack suspension setup, tire & wheel combo is what will keep your truck in control no matter how big motor/esc combo is... my T bone wheelie bar also really helps keep control under power unless of course you enjoy backflips!!!
    I agree with this 100% too... when I had the sidewinder 8th and 2200kv combo on my Stampede I had the suspension set up where I would be able to corner at high speeds without rolling over... but the castle link really helps on controlling the stampede...

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Sinuhe_0123. How did you like the Sidewinder 8th combo? I want to put that combo in my p4de but I have heard some bad things about the Sidewinder. I liked the way you mounted the esc against the motor, but does the esc get hotter then it normally would if its mounted like that?

Sorry for all the questions, I like to do a lot of research

Thanks,
    Samtheman801
    Stampede 4x4
    AKA: "The Money Pit"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Samtheman801 View Post
    Hi Sinuhe_0123. How did you like the Sidewinder 8th combo? I want to put that combo in my p4de but I have heard some bad things about the Sidewinder. I liked the way you mounted the esc against the motor, but does the esc get hotter then it normally would if its mounted like that?

Sorry for all the questions, I like to do a lot of research

Thanks,
    Samtheman801
    To answer your question I never had any problems with my Sidewinder 8th... I'm running that combo on my slash along a 2200kv motor and honestly never had an issue... it all depends on what you want to do with your stampede... the Sidewinder 8th will be an awesome system for bashing on 3S or 4S bur if you are looking into speed runs it does not have the same performance as a mamba monster... it is a cheaper option and I never looked back once I got it... also you have to look at budget... if it's not an issue I would go for the Mamba... otherwise the sidewinder 8th will keep a smile on your face...

Also the sidewinder is not mounted against the motor... there is about 2 mm between them to allow for air flow... and never had a problem with the esc getting hot... and here in texas I run it 100 degree weather...

Hope this helps... any questions just shoot....

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhe_0123 View Post
    To answer your question I never had any problems with my Sidewinder 8th... I'm running that combo on my slash along a 2200kv motor and honestly never had an issue... it all depends on what you want to do with your stampede... the Sidewinder 8th will be an awesome system for bashing on 3S or 4S bur if you are looking into speed runs it does not have the same performance as a mamba monster... it is a cheaper option and I never looked back once I got it... also you have to look at budget... if it's not an issue I would go for the Mamba... otherwise the sidewinder 8th will keep a smile on your face...

Also the sidewinder is not mounted against the motor... there is about 2 mm between them to allow for air flow... and never had a problem with the esc getting hot... and here in texas I run it 100 degree weather...

Hope this helps... any questions just shoot....
    Well then it seems that the Sidewinder is perfect for me. I can't spend 250 on a mamba monster, and I would only do bashing on 3s-4s.

One question -
    What gearing do you run on it for bashing on 3-4s lipo? I was thinking I would want to run 18-54. I want wheelie popping torque but I don't want the top speed to be ridiculously low. I will only ever run the thing in 80 degree weather at the hottest, So heat issues won't be a problem .
    I hate how I hit thermal shutdown on the vxl-3s in like 10 minutes while running 3s.

Thanks,
    Samtheman801
    Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Samtheman801 View Post
    Well then it seems that the Sidewinder is perfect for me. I can't spend 250 on a mamba monster, and I would only do bashing on 3s-4s.

One question -
    What gearing do you run on it for bashing on 3-4s lipo? I was thinking I would want to run 18-54. I want wheelie popping torque but I don't want the top speed to be ridiculously low. I will only ever run the thing in 80 degree weather at the hottest, So heat issues won't be a problem .
    I hate how I hit thermal shutdown on the vxl-3s in like 10 minutes while running 3s.

Thanks,
    Samtheman801
    Sounds like you have a winner!!! I have the sidewinder geared 18/54... the torque is crazy and also the speed is more than enough to keep control of the stampede... you will be very pleased with that esc and motor combo... also try getting the castle link system to fine tune the esc to your liking...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhe_0123 View Post
    Sounds like you have a winner!!! I have the sidewinder geared 18/54... the torque is crazy and also the speed is more than enough to keep control of the stampede... you will be very pleased with that esc and motor combo... also try getting the castle link system to fine tune the esc to your liking...
    Awesome!
    Thanks for all your help!

Samtheman801
    Stampede 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Apologies for posting on a older thread, but I just installed the mmx on my p4de and thought I would share another way too mount the esc for future x owners. You can also mount it up front as well. I took some sheet metal and cut out a plate too bolt up front in the stock receiver location. I shoe gooed the esc too the mount and when I take out the two bolts it comes off as one piece.

Nice truck,but overpowered by way to much power.

Better too have too much power than not enough lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Nice truck,but overpowered by way to much power.
    That is a good thing. Will mean it requires less power to get it up to speed, and that means cooler electronics.....

Final install pic, looks great. So for future mmx owners these are two good options on how too mount your esc. Can do it like the op has done, or do it like I have it. Either way will work just fine.

RC Racer
    Nice installation... good thing about your set up is you went with the 2650kv so that gives you a lot more space to work with... I like the shrink wrap making the cables look black...

Thanks, I thought about the 2200 at first like you, but since it's longer than the 2650 and space is already very limited on this chassis. I just went ahead and got the 2650. The wire stuff I used is called expanding sleeve, not very expensive and makes your wires look neater.

Borrowed a 2200kv from the lhs too try out. Left my MMX up front and used the stock stampede receiver box. The I made a lexan plate that bolts too the steering servo and then bolted the receiver box too the lexan plate. Clean install and everything is bolted down no shoegoo, glue, or velcro holding anything down.

RC poster
    Isn't that white AUX wire supposed to be plugged into the receiver??

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne View Post
    Isn't that white AUX wire supposed to be plugged into the receiver??
    Only if you have a compatible tx/rx too use it, if you don't have that then it is not used. Mine is jut sitting inside my receiver box unhooked.

Couple weeks ago I improved upon my esc mounting. Too begin with my esc was originally shoe gooed too my esc plate which worked perfect, however I decided I could do better than that. I took a MM2 mount and modified it too where it would fit over the MMX and it is now screwed down. With this done my entire install is screwed down with no shoe goo or double sided tape holding anything down.

Member of the triple digit club 100mph p4de
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-21-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    What modifications did you have to do to get the mamba monster x esc and 2200kv motor

Quote Originally Posted by Jboswell83 View Post
    What modifications did you have to do to get the mamba monster x esc and 2200kv motor
    Dremel the chassis a little bit for the motor to clear and making a mount for esc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Where at on the chassis do I dremel

Heres my build. 1. Dremel where motor is going and side of center drive tunnel.Once motor is in and can mesh pinion and spur properly then move on to relocating rx box. 2. Youll need to make some risers so that rx box sits above side rail and wont interfere with center drive shaft. On this build I used the round pede body posts and screwed through bottom of chassis. Then on top mounted a piece of plexi to risers for rx box to either screw to, shoe glue to or double side sticky tape box to. 3. Relocate esc to where rx box used to be. I used a piece of carbon fiber plate and cut to fit shape of chassis. You could use use plexi or metal whatever you think is easiest to use. I used the old rx box screw holes to hold carbon fiber plate to chassis(red arrows). Mounted esc cage to plate and on/off switch(pink arrow) to it by batt tray. I do have to remove the whole plate to access front bulkhead screws buts its only 2 screws so no biggie. In pic with colored arrows you can see the plexiglass plate I cut to fit around servo and what I mounted rx box to and how I routed motor wires under it to hold them and for a cleaner looking install. Eventually I took a sharpie and colored plexi black. Then as you can see put exposed wires in black wire loom. I like my setup a lot, its also really nice because you can tuck and hide a lot of esc, servo and front led headlight wires under that plate for a super clean look.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-17-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Where at on the chassis do I dremel
    Hereís a video on a 2650 install, same applies to 2200kv. https://youtu.be/MYt1AKQVf2E

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Yeah what Gpede said! Lol. Heres my build. 1. Dremel where motor is going and side of center drive tunnel.

Thanks for showing those, Iíve lost all my old pics lol

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    Thanks for showing those, Iíve lost all my old pics lol

No problem buddy I got you covered. Your the one that got me through the install so hats off to the true pioneer . Oh mine is a MM2 esc but still same install for MMX esc...

Last edited by Briber; 04-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...