RC poster

Beating a Dead Horse - Motor Upgrade

Hello all!
    I have been a lurker for a while now. Great site and community.
    I have read up so much about motor upgrades, my head is spinning.
    I'm running the Slash Ultimate 4x4 and I'm ready to upgrade the motor and esc.
    The existing motor tends to heat up quickly with the way I have it geared (18/54) on 2s lipo's.
    I would like a motor that can handle 3s lipo's without having heat issues. I'm planning on stepping up to 3's with this upgrade and possibly 4's down the road.
    My ultimate goal would to be able to get a higher top speed and perform well while bashing. I want the thing to rip!
    Being waterproof is important as well.
    Lastly, what upgrades will in need with the new motor? I have x-duty's all the way around and aaluminum motor mount.
    Looking into the X0-1 differentials, but can't find the complete differential. If someone has a link, that would be great. I can rebuilt the existing, if I need to.
    Thank you in advance!

RC Racer
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/catalog/...e-differential

Or ebay for XO-1 diffs so many choices for motor upgrgades. Matts had a sicko cheap combo that seemed super fast not sure if it was waterproof. or just a 2400 funny car motor upgrade on existing esc does ok from what I have read not sure how hard you can go 3s with it 4s would still be a no no but the 2400 be loads fast on 3s for bashing be insane geared right.
    Last edited by nizzfoshizz; 07-27-2015 at 02:00 AM.
    X Maxx, Sl4sh MM2 2650, Sl2sh's 3800/3500

RC poster
    Thank you for the ink, nizz.
    I saw that one in my searching, but the 1/7 in the description threw me off.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

There are lots of different choices for motor system upgrades. I love the El Sob special! It runs extremely well on 3s! I have mine geared 20/50 and it has good power and speed.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    or if you're crazy and have a lot of money, go for poseidon rc. its up to you. there are litterly a ton of rc systems, without this place, I wouldn't know have of them.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC poster
    Thank you for the suggestions, guys!
    El Sob, the "El Sob Special" sounds perfect for me.
    Reading into it, the firmware update has me a little nervous. I am not the most computer savvy guy.
    Is it a nessecary step in making the switch to that motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Check out this combo: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXETYK&P=ML

I absolutely love it... and it's waterproof. It runs nice and cool on 3s.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

There are lots of different choices for motor system upgrades. I love the El Sob special! It runs extremely well on 3s! I have mine geared 20/50 and it has good power and speed.
    Had a question on el sob special, Ran it for first time today on 2s with mod 1 gearing at 15/40, seemed to be a tad slower than when I ran my stock velineon 3500 4 pole at 15/40. is this due to not running a 3s, is 3s where I will see the extra speed and power for the el sob special. i do like how the motor did stay cooler than the velineon.
    Thanks in advance

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbztech88 View Post
    Had a question on el sob special, Ran it for first time today on 2s with mod 1 gearing at 15/40, seemed to be a tad slower than when I ran my stock velineon 3500 4 pole at 15/40. is this due to not running a 3s, is 3s where I will see the extra speed and power for the el sob special. i do like how the motor did stay cooler than the velineon.
    Thanks in advance
    Gear for gear. Battery for battery a lower kv will run slower then a higher kv. Voltage times Kv equals rpm. In order for you to run same speed or faster you'll have to step up to a bigger battery. Even then depending on kv you might still run slower if so then gear up.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Gear for gear. Battery for battery a lower kv will run slower then a higher kv. Voltage times Kv equals rpm. In order for you to run same speed or faster you'll have to step up to a bigger battery. Even then depending on kv you might still run slower if so then gear up.
    ok, thanks, gonna go 3s then bigger gears. or vice versa. I do like the cooler temps, my velineon would get a little to warm.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ok, thanks, gonna go 3s then bigger gears. or vice versa. I do like the cooler temps, my velineon would get a little to warm.
    With that gearing I see why it got hot.(3500) That's like running 20or21/54. Yikes. From what I've read that is the sweet spot of the 2400. I don't or haven't ran that motor the small shaft pushes me away

Thanks in advance
    To me that's the beauty of that 2400kv. Gear it up(I run 18/54 at the moment) and with a 2s it's comparable to the 3500 geared 13/54. But throw in a 3s,still geared up and it will fly and never get hot. I bash on 2s and 3s and never change gears.....swap batteries and go!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post

looks like a hw sc8 esc. that motor is huge. i think its about the same size as the CC 2200kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post

So this system is performing well? That esc is HW-SC8 right?, which is pretty much the best there is so it all comes down to that motor....do you know what company makes it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    So this system is performing well? That esc is HW-SC8 right?, which is pretty much the best there is so it all comes down to that motor....do you know what company makes it?
    Very well. I've been running the snot out of it for over a month now with zero issues. The ESC is just a re-stickered HobbyWing and the motor is (I'm 99% sure) a Leopard.

I like it so much, I ordered the smaller system for my Rustler.

yeah it does look a lot like a leopard. they have so many different motors.

RC poster
    Thank you all for the help! I haven't been able to get on the site for a couple days.
    Mike, for some reason the link you provided isn't working for me. It says the stock number is invalid.
    Hopefully they aren't sold out.

RC Qualifier
    Btw I'm fairly confident the Kershaw design motors are leopards as well.

RC Qualifier
    It said that the stock number was invalid when he posted the link a few days ago
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgibby88 View Post
    It said that the stock number was invalid when he posted the link a few days ago
    I talked to Tower Hobbies via email. They had to pull all the ESCs temporarily because of a mis-packaging problem.