Thread: spur gear cover

RC Qualifier

spur gear cover

Hey guys I need some help with spur gear covers. I'm running 32 pitch spur gear and I have no cover that fits. I have tried both rpm and traxxas gear cover. I melt the rpm gear cover by forcing on and running it. Does any one have an idea for another cover that will fit.
    My current gearing is 16/54

There is no cover that will fit besides you don't need one running 32p gears.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I'm trying to find one because I run in sand a lot. Is there another car that has a gear cover that will work. Has anyone made one?

Have not heard or seen one made, you could be a first. Even in sand it's not needed just clean off when done.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

This is one of the reasons I dont convert to 32 pitch gears.48P works and fits under the cover. Many will say you dont need a cover with 32P because they are so much stronger, this is true until you get a pebble or some debris in between the gears. 32p gears are tougher, so much so that sometimes the motor shaft becomes the weak link and snaps rather than the inexpensive spur gear.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I used some thick plastic like plexi glass about 1/8 inch thick ,,,,I laid the gear cover on the plastic (any thick plastic will do)
    and trace the outside shape of the gear cover then drilled the mounting holes to match.,,, after making a hole on inside area of the gear cover I use a dremel to remove all the rest of the material needed ...I then had two really thick gaskets or spacers
    that give me the clearance I need to cover my 32 pc gears....I made 2 spacers but if I had thicker plastic I would have just drilled the mounting hole and screwed the cover to the plastic and used the dremel to shape the spacer as needed.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    not a real good shot but you can see one of the spacers with the tab and mounting hole the first spacer was shaped smaller to fit down into the lip of the transmission and the two spacers were glued with abs glue to make the odd shaped spacer one piece.

RC Qualifier
    The gasket is a good idea I'm going to try that. Do you sand your spur gears to make them fit.

RC Qualifier
    I don't understand,,, what would I sand to make them fit.. I you use the gasket spacers and you have the clearance there should not be any need to sand the spur gear ... but feel free to explain ,,,and if you need any help/pictures send me a PM.

RC Qualifier
    I wa thinking of sanding the outside of the spur gear to make it smaller width. How thick was the gasket you used?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsy18 View Post
    I wa thinking of sanding the outside of the spur gear to make it smaller width. How thick was the gasket you used?
    definitely wont be sanding mine. each layer of plastic was 3/16 in thick or 5mm . it moved the cover out 3/8 and that did the trick .

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Hot racing makes steel 32p spurs that are shaped same as stock, and fit under the cover just fine. However, they are quite expensive. About 25 bucks. They do last forever with hardened steel opinions.I have a hr combo that has been used without a cover for over 5 years and are still like new. Cost was 33, but have not thought about it in about 1000 runs maybe? Never broke a 3mm shaft on my castle and vol motors. Now all my shafts are 5mm.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...