RC Qualifier

Alright, what's the problem?

Alrighty ladies and gents- we got a problem

Traxxas stampede- bought about 5 years ago, it's my tank and my workhorse. Now, for the first time, run at the beach. Only run in dry sand and at high Tide Mark at low tide. So still dry, just compact. So here's the problem

It will not steer, anything but crawling speed th turning circle is huge! Like top speed is hundred yards for 90 degrees. Now, here's what I know.

1. Diff is good, tested against my brothers stampede, same as far as I can tell, but when it was driving on asphalt and loose, dead leaves, as well as a thin layer of dirt/sand, and it seemed tight, to the point of nearly locked

2. Servo/ steering mechanism is good, again, tested against other stampede, and is exactly the same, under weight and not.

I'm thinking the issue is somethin in the diff, something expensive and something I'm not comfortable working on. Sadly, this is the FIRST part other than normal a arms and diff, that has broken. External pics can be provided, but on vacation, I don't have the luxury of a workshop.

Thanks in advance, love this truck and don't like seeing it broken
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

did you put the servo on another and it worked fine? if so the ball bearings in the bellcrank may need to be replaced. what servo are you using? i ran my slash 4x4 at the beach and i ended up having to get a new servo shortly after, but i did run thru the water even though i knew it wasnt a good idea. i wont be doing that again
    Last edited by skmfkr; 08-02-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    did you put the servo on another and it worked fine? if so the ball bearings in the bellcrank may need to be replaced. what servo are you using? i ran my slash 4x4 at the beach and i ended up having to get a new servo shortly after, but i did run thru the water even though i knew it wasnt a good idea. i wont be doing that again
    The Stampede does not have a bellcrank.
    Servo saver is good?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I thought it was the same as my rustler? then again I don't remember if it has bearings or not. I know my 4x4 does

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The Stampede does not have a bellcrank.
    Servo saver is good?
    Servo saver appears good, will take that off tonight or tomorrow morning, and report back with pictures shortly after

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like something is binding up. Start taking it apart and cleaning everything. Just to note salt might be hard to see, and. An definitely jam things up

RC Racer
    Do the tires turn all the way left to right?

It's sounds to me like you're simply trying to turn with the throttle pinned. The problem is the stampede sits so high that there's very little weight on the front tires and it just doesn't turn.

Try this. When it's making that wide 100 yard turn simply let off the throttle. Does it turn then?

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Saltwater + electronics = destruction.
    Saltwater + metal gears, bearings = corrosion.
    Sand + gears, bearings = damage.

The beach can be a real RC hater.

I think jimbo74 might be right about something binding.

I hope you problem is a quick, cheap and easy fix.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Okay everyone, the answer to all questions,
    Sprayed it with hose, got a bit better, will take It apart and clean when I get home. At any speed the steering is worse, but it is worse at high speed

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    Okay everyone, the answer to all questions,
    Sprayed it with hose, got a bit better, will take It apart and clean when I get home. At any speed the steering is worse, but it is worse at high speed
    With the throttle pinned and good traction at the rear tires the front tires are barely touching the ground. I can almost drive in a straight line with wheel turned all the way if i'm running full throttle. You could start messing with the shocks to change this behavior but it really comes down to throttle control.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Basher 1 View Post
    With the throttle pinned and good traction at the rear tires the front tires are barely touching the ground. I can almost drive in a straight line with wheel turned all the way if i'm running full throttle. You could start messing with the shocks to change this behavior but it really comes down to throttle control.
    Yes, I understand that, I've been Driving the p2de for years with the same setup. But I'm saying that at the top speed where the front tires are on the ground (usually 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, maybe less with the tire setup I have for the sand) the steering is a lot less than my brother (who has the very same setup, tires and all!) I drove his truck and he drove mine and we both agreed, even at slow speed (with the throttle just barely pulled) the turning circle is very large, about twice the size of my brothers. Something mechanical is wrong with it, No insult to you, but I understand that pull throttle turning is nearly useless on a p2de, and it is very tail heavy, combined with the torque the motor has lifts the front tires a load more. But it is most certainly something mechanical, it still doesn't turn at all at high speed, if my previous posts don't reflect that, sorry, but to make myself clear, the turning circle is less at all speeds, but is the worse at low and medium speeds, and is not much worse at high speeds, due to that turning circle being dismal all the time. Hope this clarifies anything, this truck is my tank, and I wanna get as many opinions as possible before I have to take the whole front end apart, not looking foreword to that.

RC Champion
    commando, I've been thinking about your problem but I don't really have any good ides. You said that when the truck is not moving, with all four tires on the ground, the truck turns fine, right? So there is no way that you have some chipped teeth in your servo or maybe your servo saver isn't mating up right with the servo?
    Maybe try unhooking your servo saver from the servo and make sure that the steering blocks are moving freely back and forth on both sides. Then inspect the splines on your servo & servo saver to be sure that they're not stripped.
    Are you running a stock servo or have you replaced it recently?