Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another broken shaft!!!!

I am done with the ET-2400 motor! This is the second one that has broken the motor shaft! I am done! Time for a new motor! Any recommendations?

Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear El sob, this is why I won't buy anything bigger than a castle 3800kv with a only 3.2mm shaft.

Time to get a RCgearshop motor like Matts I think.

(Was going to mention gluing it with professional glue but thought that was a bit bad taste...)
    40+ RC's, 4 = Traxxas. Doing this since the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas Tauranga View Post
    Sorry to hear El sob, this is why I won't buy anything bigger than a castle 3800kv with a only 3.2mm shaft.

Time to get a RCgearshop motor like Matts I think.

(Was going to mention gluing it with professional glue but thought that was a bit bad taste...)
    I tried that with the other motor. I will probably try again with this motor. It is just very frustrating to have two break in just a couple months. I am about to buy the RC Gear Shop motor. Seeing if anyone else has a recommendation first.

RC Champion
    I just pulled the trigger on the Castle 2650kv motor & SW8 ESC. It is highly recommended by several members here and I can't wait to try it out myself. My buddy at work just today upgraded his Slash to the El Sob Special, I hope he has better luck with his 2400kv motor. It will be a few weeks before I get all my new parts together and installed but I am anxious to get a side-by-side comparison of the SW8/2650kv system in my truck and the El Sob Special in his. Maybe you can wait that long?

RC Qualifier
    I love my dynamite fuze 2500kv motor!
    Bashing Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

RC Qualifier
    The Kershaw 2700kv that's on sale is a beast for its price. It's a finned 36x74mm with 5mm shaft 4 pole motor. It's quite powerful and I haven't had any heat issues out of it. May want to give it a shot for the price.

Again the blue can, I believe Pro Mod is the only one to have issue with a green can motor.
    I know there should be now difference. just cant understand how I push mine so hard and never a problem.
    Sorry ElSob, at least you were faithful to the motor till the end.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Sad to hear you broke another shaft.

$109.98 is an awesome deal if your going with Matts' combo!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I am done with the ET-2400 motor! This is the second one that has broken the motor shaft! I am done! Time for a new motor! Any recommendations?

noooo00!!! I just put that motor in my truck haven't even run a 3s on it, Hopefully I will have better luck, used the 5mm sleeve and Mod 1 gearing. Sorry to hear that El SOB, please keep us posted on what motor you go with.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Broken motor shaft! That's a bummer El Sob. Time for a motor with a 5mm shaft. Shucks.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Champion
    Losi 2800kv with 5mm shaft. Cheap on ebay
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Aw man..that's not right!! Sorry to hear. Just came in from beating a 3s pack through mine and I see this. Having 2nd thoughts about my 4s venture for sure. Oh well, that's what we do....beat it till it breaks then fix it so it won't break again. Starting to think I made the right decision to upgrade my esc...I think I'll have more options when it comes time to replace my 2400kv. So far I'm liking that 2650kv RC Gear Shop that Matts has. Good luck getting your Slash back up and running!!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I have the losi 2800 motor, and it's a beast. I haven't seen one on eBay in a long time, though.

Does castle not offer a 5mm shafted version like with their 3800?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Yes they do. And, their 2200kv and 2650kv motors have 5mm shafts too.
    Obstacle Magnet

Well I know that, but they (the 2200 and 2650) tend to be overkill.

So why not just pick up a 5mm shafted 2400 el sob?

Were you running a gear cover?

Well I know that, but they (the 2200 and 2650) tend to be overkill.

So why not just pick up a 5mm shafted 2400...?
    Castle 1415 motors with 5mm shafts are not in production, neither is the optional rebuild kit, part # 011-0025-00.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Losi 2800kv with 5mm shaft. Cheap on ebay
    Gotta be a different eBay than the one I'm seeing.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-04-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have the losi 2800 motor, and it's a beast. I haven't seen one on eBay in a long time, though.

Discontinued

That's one reason why I haven't bought the 2400 cause of the small shaft and small set screw.

Elsob:
    I like the 2650 motor in well let's see both my boys has them and now I just built my wife one and it has a 2650 all slash. And I have a spare one for when I decide to build another one for me. 1 is a castle and the rest are the neewer 2650 cheap motors but are doing very good with power and temp

I have experimented with varying motors trying to find the sweet spot on 3S... 3800Kv, Vanguard 3150Kv, 2650Kv, & 2200Kv. For me, the castle 2650Kv on 3S is it. It's stout, has a 5mm shaft, & the 1/8 size is not too big... If the 2400Kv had a 5mm shaft...but alas, no more 5mm shaft versions. So, 2650Kv it is for me. El Slob, sorry about the carnage, sucks shelling out money for the same product more than once...
    2650Kv sl4sh 8S Rally erevo 2 sl4sh 4 kids

Quote Originally Posted by natrix500 View Post
    For me, the castle 2650Kv on 3S is it. It's stout, has a 5mm shaft, & the 1/8 size is not too big..
    I share your opinion and that's my Sl4sh setup too.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Again the blue can, I believe Pro Mod is the only one to have issue with a green can motor.
    I know there should be now difference. just cant understand how I push mine so hard and never a problem.
    Sorry ElSob, at least you were faithful to the motor till the end.
    Yes but only once. Castle warrantied it. I run green cans in all 4 of my trucks and what I have found is the stock motor bearings are junk. I replaced all motor bearings with AVID ceramics with great success. I found this out months ago when my slash 4X4 started eating spurs like candy and everything was set RIGHT. The motor bearing on pinion end would start to go bad and the motor shaft would wobble messing up gear mesh and eating spurs. Since the switch to a quality ceramic motor bearing spur gear problems are GONE.
    just a basher

i was just saying today that the 2400kv is a good motor but has its flaws. i really think it's better suited in a stampede 4x4 as it's a bit lighter.
    i have to say i really like the range i get with a 2200kv sidewinder 1:8th and is a great match for a hardcore 3s+ slash. i'd check out the 2650 too but i have no experience with it.
    Last edited by JohnnyHildo; 08-04-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Yes but only once. Castle warrantied it. I run green cans in all 4 of my trucks and what I have found is the stock motor bearings are junk. I replaced all motor bearings with AVID ceramics with great success. I found this out months ago when my slash 4X4 started eating spurs like candy and everything was set RIGHT. The motor bearing on pinion end would start to go bad and the motor shaft would wobble messing up gear mesh and eating spurs. Since the switch to a quality ceramic motor bearing spur gear problems are GONE.
    I haven't switched to ceramic but have changed a lot more front then rear 2400kv bearings, I use Novak brand, or who ever makes theirs for them.
    A loose or failing bearing could have a lot to do with shaft failure, bad bearings can equal heat and heat can cause all kinds of problems.
    Thank you for the information of only one green can failure which was warrantied as well.
    I run 3 2400kv 3mm shaft motors on 3 and 4s all the time and have yet to experience any shaft failure.
    Thanks again, I think I'll look into upgrading my bearings upon there next maintenance session.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

I have to agree with most here, the Castle 2650 seems to fit the bill perfectly. It's a bit faster than the 2400 and much beefier so it should last a LONG time. The Kershaw Designs 2700kv is a much cheaper option that is a pretty decent motor as well. Geared the same it does run a bit warmer than the 2650 and is just slightly faster, but for under $40 it's hard to beat.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anyone ever seen this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3670-2150KV-...item1c543d65a5

It's so darn cheap.... if you only got 6 months out of it, you'd still be ahead.

RC Qualifier
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/KERSHAW-DESIGN...-/321779415973

I'd take this one, it's what I'm running now. Geared reasonably it runs well, has great power, no temp issues.

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Anyone ever seen this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3670-2150KV-...item1c543d65a5

It's so darn cheap.... if you only got 6 months out of it, you'd still be ahead.
    I looked at that one before and it seems like a very viable option. The only reason I didn't go with it is because I run on 2s a lot and I think the lower KV will be too hard on those unless I gear way down. I went with the Kershaw Designs 2700 because of the higher KV.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/KERSHAW-DESIGN...-/321779415973

I'd take this one, it's what I'm running now. Geared reasonably it runs well, has great power, no temp issues.
    Just for clarification on my post above, like Wilson says, the Kershaw Designs motor does run great and with proper gearing heat will not be an issue. The Castle 2650 just runs a bit cooler since it has a much larger can. The Kershaw motor is almost identical to the Castle 2400 in size.

RC Racer
    Dang El Sob,
    Sorry to hear about the motor shaft. And I was just looking to drop this into my rig for an upgrade.
    Does the Castle 2650 run well on 2s as well ? Probably have to do a bit of shopping before I decide on a new motor.

Keep us informed on what you move into mate

I haven't heard of this KD motor. Sounds like something worth looking into! I have been planning to get myself a Neewer 2650. Seems hard to beat too.

I have an xo-1 en route to my house to turn into an off roader. I have to decide in a powerplant for that. I'm set up best for 4s and I think the stock motor probably needs more. Plus it's so big and heavy.

RC Qualifier
    The big 2200kv/2650kv castle motors are hard to beat with their 5mm shaft. Big power and torque geared correctly soothes any fear of overheating or broken shafts. There is no substitute.
    Slash 4x4 - MM2 / 2200Kv
    Rustler SV3 / 4600Kv

RC Qualifier
    I haven't heard of this KD motor. Sounds like something worth looking into! I have been planning to get myself a Neewer 2650. Seems hard to beat too.

I have an xo-1 en route to my house to turn into an off roader. I have to decide in a powerplant for that. I'm set up best for 4s and I think the stock motor probably needs more. Plus it's so big and heavy.
    You're gonna turn what, into what? That sounds like a beast and a half, can't wait to see the build thread on that! But el sob, I think the best thing to do is go try out the Kershaw designs motor, my friend just picked one up for his rusty and says it is way overpowered.
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

Another broken shaft!!!!

It would be beneficial to know the circumstances of the breakage or a guess as to why it occurred. This might help the next guy.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    You're gonna turn what, into what? That sounds like a beast and a half, can't wait to see the build thread on that! But el sob, I think the best thing to do is go try out the Kershaw designs motor, my friend just picked one up for his rusty and says it is way overpowered.
    Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I saw it done on urc. The largest drawback is that there is anti dive engineered into the xo1 front bulk, and no kickup. I saw a member dremel both a slash bulk and an xo bulk and effectively combine them. Turned out sweet. It would never make a superb racer, but I like the open chassis as a basher.

I can't decide whether to put it in the xo forum or the slash forum, lol. The xo guys think it's silly.

RC poster
    Just got an ET-2400! What is the warranty on these things? Would breaking a shaft be covered? I would think so!

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It would be beneficial to know the circumstances of the breakage or a guess as to why it occurred. This might help the next guy.
    I agree 100%! Lots of us running that motor and we all use our trucks differently. I think ElSob is more of a asphalt/parking lot basher, where as I'm more of a grass/dirt/jumps basher. Maybe those who've had shaft failures could give us some detailed circumstances when it happened? During WOT, start-off, after a jump, power used,motor/esc set-up, tires/wheels,etc. May help us all? Thanks!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    If you can find it I know castle released a rotor upgrade/rebuild kit that replaces the 3mm shaft with a full 5mm shaft. That would fix your shaft breakage problem.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptKlink View Post
    If you can find it I know castle released a rotor upgrade/rebuild kit that replaces the 3mm shaft with a full 5mm shaft. That would fix your shaft breakage problem.
    Key word here being "if".

Exactly! IF I was able to find one. I have looked far and wide. Called even the smallest place that calls themselves a hobby shop and it has been to no avail. Oh well, on to the next one. Just sucks that it will take time to get my new motor. So now is the best time for me to tear into my truck and get it ready for the next adventure

RC Champion
    What about warranty? This was your second motor, maybe you can send them both back for rotor replacement so you'll have a spare if it happens a third time.
    Of course that won't help get you back on the road today...

Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    What about warranty? This was your second motor, maybe you can send them both back for rotor replacement so you'll have a spare if it happens a third time.
    Of course that won't help get you back on the road today...
    I have been working on that. I have been in contact with different people from different companies to see if it is possible to get a replacement for at least one of the motors. I will keep everyone informed of my progress.

it seems ridiculous they wouldn't have a re-build kit on them still available. the motor is seemingly on the edge of too much power for such a small shaft and breakage is becoming very common as more people run them.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast