RC poster

ESC or servo problem - intermittently switching off

Trying to illustrate problem I am lately having more and more often, today´s bashing was rather carrying the car than driving.

First few minutes everything works without a glitch a then suddenly car stops, one of the fans powered from ESC switches off, second powered from receiver box stays on. ESC itself is either completely off or flashing red and green. After problem starts appearing I can recreate it just by steering from left to right or just by keeping wheels in full left or right. When I lift the car, suddenly, ESC is on, servo returns wheels in centre position and car can drive again. Unfortunately it works either for few meters only or until first bigger bump. Switching the battery off and on sometimes helps sometimes not at all. Today it got into such extreme, that it worked for 1 meter and than happens again.

Came home, checked all possible cables, all seemed good. So I went into the garden to try it out and mainly to recreate the problem to have it on video and after 3 minutes of speed runs and bumps and collisions suddenly it switched off.

So my idea at the moment is either wrong ESC or rather malfunctioning servo. Servo problems seems more probable since after it starts happening it is enough to steer couple of times and here comes the problem and after I release the pressure from the servo by lifting the car all suddenly works...

If embedded video is not working, here is direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJj4zuIq-Pg

Would be very grateful for any suggestions...

RC Champion
    whats the temp? could be thermal shutdown, and after a few times it just got fried.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 08-07-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    I don´t know any specific temps, though it was hot today outside. I had this problem happening since spring when air temps were low and ESC temps probably as well. When I was making video ESC wasn´t hot at all so I presume it is not about temps. When you check strange behaviour in video during steering, it doesn´t look to me like a too high temp problem.

RC Competitor
    I had this problem one week ago on a stampede 4x4 vxl. First i tought it was a internal bec problem. I already had an external bec to supply my 3 fan but i used the internal one for the servo and the receiver. I tried to supply everything with my external bec. The problem still there so i replaced the servo (it was old and started to be weak). Now everything is running great.

RC Qualifier
    If you steer all the time and it happends, it could be multiple things. But if you lift the car from the ground and it works again, that's odd. Would suggest to replace your servo, it was the solution for joss789, so hopefully that's your problem also.

RC Champion
    a IR temp gun is worth more than its weight in gold in this hobby.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GuessWh0oo View Post
    If you steer all the time and it happends, it could be multiple things. But if you lift the car from the ground and it works again, that's odd. Would suggest to replace your servo, it was the solution for joss789, so hopefully that's your problem also.
    Yes it´s strange I would also opt for servo change but how would it be possible that broken servo manages to switch off even ESC and receiver? On the top of everything I stripped few teeth in my servo 3 months ago so I exchanged all the insides, of course apart from electronics so I cannot imagine servo would be "week" at the moment, it steers amazingly well. Will try to take it apart and see if I can figure out something with electronics even though that´s out of despair

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    a IR temp gun is worth more than its weight in gold in this hobby.
    Yes I know. I also know I would never take it with me into the field and having it sitting at home I might just use it for measuring my own temps ...

RC Competitor
    Same thing happened to me few months ago the servo went bad it would cut power to everything for a few seconds everytime I turned the wheel . New servo solved my problem

RC poster
    OK, will go into new servo. Would SAVOX - SW-0230MG be good replacement for stock 2075? Similar price but metal gears.
    Btw. I somehow hoped it was toasted ESC which would give me excuse to invest into Mamba Max Pro or Hobbywing EZRun SC8

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha, servo isn't a expensive replacement. Unless you go for an upgraded one. I would first check if I could borrow a 2075 from another car and test it out. You will know for sure if that's the problem and can replace it from there.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GuessWh0oo View Post
    Hahaha, servo isn't a expensive replacement. Unless you go for an upgraded one. I would first check if I could borrow a 2075 from another car and test it out. You will know for sure if that's the problem and can replace it from there.
    Borrowing from somebody unfortunately is not an option. Not many people driving traxxas RC cars in the woods around here I will try to order aforementioned Savox and we´ll see.

RC Qualifier
    Ookay! Hope it will solve the problem!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I hear savox servos are power hungry. Plus the one you mentioned has less torque then the stock one. I also had similar problem last year when I first got into rc's. I thought it was esc took it to my lhs and he slapped in a new servo to test it and everything worked. So after building 4 trucks and a 5th on the way I still keep a servo, motor, and esc as a spare incase something happens again.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I hear savox servos are power hungry. Plus the one you mentioned has less torque then the stock one. I also had similar problem last year when I first got into rc's. I thought it was esc took it to my lhs and he slapped in a new servo to test it and everything worked. So after building 4 trucks and a 5th on the way I still keep a servo, motor, and esc as a spare incase something happens again.
    So just a follow up: I bought SAVOX SW-0230MG and installed it. It caught me by surprise that steering was reversed, thanks to google it was fixed in a minute. During waiting time for new servo I managed to destroy my quadrocopter so I figured out I could turn my stampede into FPV truck using parts from grounded quad. Yesterday I went for heavy bashing into stone quarry to do some serious testing of my "switching off" problem. I had all the time FPV gear connected (powered from the main 3s battery, since my FPV camera and transmitter need 12V). I went through 2 3s battery packs and all seemed good. Then my ESC went into overheat protection, yes it was hot to touch. Gave it a rest for 10 mins and connected spare 2s battery (FPV gear disconnected) and it went for 10 meters and power was gone once again. This time it seemed totally switched off, did not start working when lifting the which seemed to help in my original post. Tried this several times and always the same.
    Today morning tested 2s battery once again on totally cold ESC and motor and after 1 minute of slow riding it happened again. So I connected 3s, did heavy bashing around the house and no problem.
    So this leads me to the idea of malfunctioning internal BEC in ESC or just "power hungry savox servo" as suggested by Er33 thus on 2S BEC did not make it to power 2x 5V fans + hungry servo + transmitter.
    At the moment I am thinking of buying Hobbywing EZRUN WP-SC8 and run it with stock motor. Do you thing it´s a good idea?

As for servo I agree that the torque is slightly smaller compared to stock one but in real life it works very well (i chose it over stock for metal gears only)..as you can see in yesterday´s stone quarry video (not all is FPV) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqraqO-4zY8
    Last edited by kubais; 08-16-2015 at 04:32 AM.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Shucks, I'm late to this party. When I ruin a plastic gear in my stock servo, I replace them all with Savox MG-0251 metal gears. They are a direct drop in and work fantastic.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would get an external bec to run that servo and two fans.

The Castle Creations BEC is a good one.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    The Castle Creations BEC is a good one.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
    Would having external BEC also mean lower temps of ESC? If not I would get new ESC probably anyway since I am quite fed up with overheating of stock ESC.

Would this BEC be suitable for my needs, since I already have it at home waiting for its use?
    http://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-3A...-p-915037.html

I am a big time Traxxas fan. However, I'm not loving on the VXL-3s. For many years now Castle has been my go to and I have never been disappointed. I am very impressed with my Sl4sh running with the Castle Sidewinder 8th combo. Goodbye temp problems. Hello overpowered. All smiles and happiness.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I am a big time Traxxas fan. However, I'm not loving on the VXL-3s. For many years now Castle has been my go to and I have never been disappointed. I am very impressed with my Sl4sh running with the Castle Sidewinder 8th combo. Goodbye temp problems. Hello overpowered. All smiles and happiness.
    I was reading about overheating problems of CS8 when running on 3s. You don´t have such problems at all?

As the Castle website says, "Anything weighing in at up to 11lbs and running up to 6S LiPo is fair game." I was only able to get my temps up high when I ran stupid hard on tarmac and had the truck way, way overgeared.

Cutting fast laps with stock gearing even on a hot summer's day, the Castle Sidewinder 8th combo still sings Frosty The Snowman.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    I am sorry. I mistook SC8 for SV2. 8th is "a bit" over my expected budget. I weas as just thinking of upgrading ESC only and HW SC8 seemed like a good option but found many photos of burned ones for no reason so will probably reconsider

The Sv2 is too weak of an ESC for a P4de in my opinion / experience. I run the MMP / 2400 combo in my P4de uber hard and still get great temps.
    Obstacle Magnet