RC Qualifier

Killed my 3rd 14.4v DeWalt motor.

Ok so I love the 14.4V DeWalt motors! They have power, they have torque, but I keep killing the things!

So is it the motor failing, or is the stock ESC causing this problem?

The motors seam to lose some power, (They start to feel more like the stock motor) then they die shortly after that.

I have been watching there temps and have yet to get one over 180. The ESC is staying around 160 to 170.

I don't run them in water. I clean them after every 3rd pack and re-oil them. And I break them in unloaded in distilled water with a larger pinion gear on them for about an hour. This last one I skipped the brake in, and just installed it in the truck and drove it nice for a full pack before I started to really bash on it.

It lasted no longer then the other 2.

I get about 15 packs threw them and they start to lose power. I stop, and clean and re-oil them, but they never regain there power. 1-2 packs later they fail. (Brushes still look good on all 3, but they all smell burnt.)

The stock motor lasted about the same. (It went out in a plume of smoke tho. LOL)

Oh and I am running 2s 9,400mah SMC packs. I spend about 30% of my time in 1st gear, and about 70% in 2nd.
    I am running the stock spur gear and a 15t pinion gear and a set of Mudslinger on Axial narrows.

Other then that and an external BEC for the steering servos its fairly stock.

So whats causing this?

What should I do to fix it?

And is there a better option then the DeWalt motor out there?

Killed my 3rd 14.4v DeWalt motor.

180F is way too hot for a brushed motor.
    As for what to do to fix it, the obvious answer from your post is to gear down.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    180F is way too hot for a brushed motor.
    As for what to do to fix it, the obvious answer from your post is to gear down.
    Ksb is right on the money there. I've never run Mudslingers, but others who do run them have mentioned gearing down is absolutely necessary. On the Kershaw Designs site, for the Dewalt Kit options, they show pinions going down to 11T. I think I've seen people mention even going down to 9T. Googling it, Traxxas makes a 9T 32P pinion. It's part number 6745 and it's $4 on Amazon.

I think I might even have you beat on an overgearing mistake, although I'm hoping it hasn't killed the motor yet. I bought a used Summit that had been upgraded to DeWalt motor, but the previous owner had only ever run NiMh batteries and maybe he wasn't a WOT maniac like I was when I did a 30-min test run on receiving the truck. I put my 8200 mAh SPC LiPos in and drove WOT in high gear for 30 minutes. I didn't bother to check that he had a 22T pinion on it, and I can't remember if the spur was stock or 65T. End result was the motor wires desoldered themselves from the brushes during that 30 minute run. I ordered heavier gauge wires and lower tooth pinion and new brushes, but never got around to fixing truck. Got busy with work and moving to another state. Planning to rebuild it this fall some time.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    I'd look into getting a brushless system. If you weren't happy with the stock system and upgraded to a Dewalt, gearing down from a 15T to a 9T or even a 11T is going to seem very, very slow.

Unless you're not after speed just torque in which case a geared down Dewalt will give you more torque and will run cooler and last longer.

I would also look for some BL Upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    I pulled the truck apart and I was running 15/68.

Many people run 17t pinions with the DeWalt motors. So I don't see why mine is so much hotter then theirs.

I looked in to brushless systems. But none of them will crawl for crap unless you go sensored. And I run in water often enough for that to not be an option. And I am not willing to rip open a new expensive system and try and water proof it just void the warranty.

I may decide to just sell this truck and build a dedicated crawler, and a dedicated basher.

I love this truck, but there dose not seam to be any good motor/ESC system out there that will really let it reach its full potential. Every thing on the market is a compromise of some sort.

Try an 18volt dewalt, it would be slow on your current gearing but I think it could handle a more aggressive gearing set up and still run cool. And if you want more speed you can step it up to 5s lipo power.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    Does the truck roll free with out the motor? I run a 17 tooth pinion and stock spur. I haven't took a real temp reading but I can touch the motor after a few WOT passes. While it maybe hot I can hold my finger on it for few secounds.

Are you running a chassis shroud by any chance? I did once and it got really hot. It was also kind of warm out to begin with.

My set up is the dewalt 14.4 with a mm2 esc and I run mudslingers.

*edit*

I was just thinking is you slipper to lose? Maybe letting the motor free spin at high rpms?
    Last edited by dirtandstreet; 08-29-2015 at 06:35 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    I pulled the truck apart and I was running 15/68.

Many people run 17t pinions with the DeWalt motors. So I don't see why mine is so much hotter then theirs.

I looked in to brushless systems. But none of them will crawl for crap unless you go sensored. And I run in water often enough for that to not be an option. And I am not willing to rip open a new expensive system and try and water proof it just void the warranty.
    I may decide to just sell this truck and build a dedicated crawler, and a dedicated basher.

I love this truck, but there dose not seam to be any good motor/ESC system out there that will really let it reach its full potential. Every thing on the market is a compromise of some sort.
    I agree - Put the stock spur gear and an 11t pinion gear on the Dewalt and use it for your dedicated crawler. Then get something faster for bashing. I have one of my Summits with this setup dedicated just for crawling and it really does well. I also have a different brand dedicated crawler with way more money in it and my Summit crawler can keep right up with it.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Dewalt 18v I used to run 18t pinion and never went over 160. Motor went through many many many packs never a problem. All this on mudslingers as well. You may have some binding issues or maybe the 14.4 can't handle the load a summit puts on it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtandstreet View Post
    Does the truck roll free with out the motor? I run a 17 tooth pinion and stock spur. I haven't took a real temp reading but I can touch the motor after a few WOT passes. While it maybe hot I can hold my finger on it for few secounds.

Are you running a chassis shroud by any chance? I did once and it got really hot. It was also kind of warm out to begin with.

My set up is the dewalt 14.4 with a mm2 esc and I run mudslingers.

*edit*

I was just thinking is you slipper to lose? Maybe letting the motor free spin at high rpms?
    Truck rolls free with motor out. (I just rebuilt the rear diff as well. And cleaned and oiled all the bearings.)

Slipper is not lose. It is set a little tighter then stock do to the extra torque of the DeWalt motor.

I can also touch the motor after a few WOT passes. But after a bit more running, it gets hotter. And before the packs are dead it is vary hot.

Oh and no chassis shroud.

Maybe I should change the MM2? Could it be the ESC is making the motor work to hard by not supplying it with the power it needs?

Did you see any change in how your truck performed after changing to the MM2?

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Try an 18volt dewalt, it would be slow on your current gearing but I think it could handle a more aggressive gearing set up and still run cool. And if you want more speed you can step it up to 5s lipo power.
    I thought of that. But I don't trust the stock ESC to handle 5S for vary long.

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I agree - Put the stock spur gear and an 11t pinion gear on the Dewalt and use it for your dedicated crawler. Then get something faster for bashing. I have one of my Summits with this setup dedicated just for crawling and it really does well. I also have a different brand dedicated crawler with way more money in it and my Summit crawler can keep right up with it.
    I may end up doing this. Not sure yet. I love to crawl, but there are vary few places around here to have any fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    Dewalt 18v I used to run 18t pinion and never went over 160. Motor went through many many many packs never a problem. All this on mudslingers as well. You may have some binding issues or maybe the 14.4 can't handle the load a summit puts on it.
    I know I don't have any binding problems. I am also running mudslingers. And geared lower.
    I think it has to do with my driving style, and the weight of the Summit. (I came from a Brushless slash, and like to run fast some times.)

I have a new charger on the way. And I just installed a new DeWalt 14.4 in it as well. This one I cleaned, painted black, oiled, did a 2 hour brake in in distilled water with a 23T pinion on it. Cleaned and dried it. Oiled it and installed it.

I ran the truck for a few min on a borrowed 5000mah 2S pack set. It ran fine.

I also re-geared it. Before I was at 15-68, now I am at 12-65.

I now have a heat sink installed on the motor with a fan as well. It is hard wired to one of the battery terminals so as soon as I plug the battery in its on.

RC Racer
    Ive heard a few things about the motors shorting out after breaking them in with distilled water
    1/10 Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit man View Post
    Ive heard a few things about the motors shorting out after breaking them in with distilled water
    If you don't get them good and dry before you run them, or if you get some water that was not distilled properly that can happen.

I have never had a problem with any of my other brushed motors after braking them in that way. And the both the stock motor, and the one I did not brake in in distilled water failed.

I think I was over heating the motors. They never got over 180*, but some people say that any thing over 160* is to hot for a brushed motor.
    I will have my new charger and power supply up and running soon. So I will get some bashing time in and report back.
    Its going to be in the upper 80s here for the next week. So it will be a good test to see if the new heatsink and fan will help to keep the motor cool or not.

I'm not 100% happy with the one I have right now. But it was the only one I could find that I was sure would fit this DeWalt motor.

Ill post some pics of everything after I get a run or two on the new motor.

If this one fails I'm ether going to mod the trans to be locked in 1st gear permanently and make this a dedicated crawler, or give up and sell the truck. I would love a Brushless system, but I just can not see spending that kind of cash for something that's not water proof. (As in a sensored system)
    And I am not willing to water proof it my self.

I don't run in water. But that dosn't mean my truck could never end up in water. Where we run it could end up getting wet as we run on trails that follow a river. And we crawl on the rocks at the rivers edge. Lots of fun. But one wrong move and your rig could end up in the drink.

RC Qualifier
    Just get a good sensored brushless system, you said in your first post that you don't run the truck in water so why are you now concerned with waterproofing?

Also making a system waterproof and certainly water resistant, is a lot easier than you think.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    Just get a good sensored brushless system, you said in your first post that you don't run the truck in water so why are you now concerned with waterproofing?

Also making a system waterproof and certainly water resistant, is a lot easier than you think.
    Read my last post please.

My buddy had his truck end up in the river last year!

I'm not going to void the warranty on an expensive brushless system by screwing with it trying to make it water proof. Will it work if done right? Probably.
    But I'm not willing to risk it at this point.

I don't have the cash to spend $200+ on a good brushless system and then kill it when the truck ends up in the river. (Mine has almost ended up in the river a few times now. But at this point has not gotten wet yet.)

Also I'm not looking for massive power here!

All I want is something that will push the Summit to about 25-30mph, with a bit more torque then the 14.4v DeWalt motor has when its geared to do about 18-20mph.

But still be water proof in the event I end up in water, or decide to go threw some water. And not over heat because its geared to high.

I would love the longer run times of a brushless system as well!

I wonder what would happen if you took the stock brushless system from an Erevo and geared it down?
    Say gearing it down to 15/65?
    On 4S power with stock Erevo tires this would give you a top speed of about 25mph.
    On Mudlingers if you geared it 12/65 it would have a top speed of about 25.5mph on 4S power.
    On Mudlsingers geared 10/65 running 6S you would top out at around 32mph.

I like these numbers. I'm just not sure how smooth the truck would be in 1st gear crawling with this system and this gearing.

I may give it a try and see. If I don't like it I can just drop the system in a go fast truck and go back to whats in there now.
    The motor and ESC can be had new for under $240 shipped as well. So the price point is right about top of my budget for a new water proof BL system.
    All I would need at that point is a new pinion gear.
    Last edited by Badmunky; 09-05-2015 at 12:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    And my EVX-2 went up in smoke!

I just go the new DeWalt 14.4 fully broken in and the ESC melted. GREAT!

So now the question. I don't have the cash for a full brushless system right now. But I need a new ESC to keep the truck going.

So could I just buy the MXL-6 and run the DeWalt motor off that for a while? I have read others say it works. But I was not 100% sure if that ESC can run a brushed motor or not.

Then later on I can get a new brushless motor for it.

And I could run the MXL-6 on 5s to right?

Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    And my EVX-2 went up in smoke!

I just go the new DeWalt 14.4 fully broken in and the ESC melted. GREAT!

So now the question. I don't have the cash for a full brushless system right now. But I need a new ESC to keep the truck going.

So could I just buy the MXL-6 and run the DeWalt motor off that for a while? I have read others say it works. But I was not 100% sure if that ESC can run a brushed motor or not.

Then later on I can get a new brushless motor for it.

And I could run the MXL-6 on 5s to right?
    Yes the mxl-6 can be programmed to run a brushed (dewalt) motor, and then later program it back to a brushless less motor (but only a sensorless brushless motor)
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !