Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Suggestions on spending $1000.00

To some this may sound like a silly question but this is a very rare situation for me. Im the kind of guy who manages to make ends meet but usually don't have a whole lot extra to dedicate to my new hobby. I've been doing small upgrades here and there. Today I found out that I have a little bit of unexpected cash coming my way in a couple weeks. Once I put new tires on my wife's car and my truck (1:1) and take care of a few other things, Im going to have about $1000 to spend towards this hobby. Only issue is that my head is spinning from the excitement that im having a hard time coming up with a good plan of attack. This will probably be the only time in my life where I will have a lump sum of money to throw into this hobby so I want to make good decisions.

Here are a few of my sporadic thoughts I had.

The models I currently have are slash lcg 4x4 vxl and a brushed rustler (my sons)

I'm thinking about getting an 8th scale motor/electronics setup for my slash and the necessary upgrades to handle that power. then put velineon motor/electronics in my son's Rustler although he really wants a truck like daddy's.

Possibly converting the rustler to a slash or buying a slash roller for the velineon motor/electronics. If I buy a slash roller then maybe do a project build with the rustler.....still have to look into my options with the rustler.

Or just say the heck with all of that and buy an e revo. That is actually what I wanted when I first started looking into this hobby but there was no way I could afford it. I really had to scrape together and squeeze for a little bit just to save up to get the slash that I have now.

Sorry if I'm kind of all over the place, like I said my head is spinning with the thought of having a nice amount of money to spend. I have about 3 weeks until I will actually have the money so hopefully I will settle down and be able to think clearly. oh yea, I'm definitely going to get the f11 wheels and some good tires. The stock ones are getting pretty worn and I've had to re glue one of the tires.

As much as I like my Slash,
    get the E-Revo (since you've always wanted one)
    and give your son your Slash.
    Now both of you are happy!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Champion
    I'd do just what you're thinking, get a nice power system, nice battery, all the drivetrain goodies to handle the power, tires to handle the speed and power of the system, call it done, maybe a new body or something to top it off.

Throw the rest in the bank and call it good.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    As much as I like my Slash,
    get the E-Revo (since you've always wanted one)
    and give your son your Slash.
    Now both of you are happy!
    You know... after reading the story and then this response... this totally makes sense. Do it!!!

Keep the Rustler as a spare rig, so that if either one of your new trucks are broken and you are waiting on parts... you have something to goof around with.

RC Racer
    I guess I'm just hesitant on that because I really love my slash and I have no idea what the revo is actually like...all I know is that it sounds awesome when i read the description. That is the main reason I want one in the first place. Because when I was reading and through all the vehicles on the Traxxas site before I made my first purchase that sounded like the baddest electric one and most expensive one.... so I figured it must be the best one. But now that I have my slash and I have put so much time Into it doing upgrades, learning and driving it I'm kind of not sure what to do.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any hobby shops by you have demo vehicles? A few around here do and they actually let you drive before you buy. I've never owned one, but they look pretty darn awesome and look like they'd handle quit a beating.

But if you are really set on keeping the Slash. We can help you with that (such as which parts to buy)... no problem.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    I am actually in the middle of an e revo build. Im ordering the spares and body etc. then for sinterklaas and christmas, I'm getting the e revo roller with the hobbywing 150A/2200kv or the castle sv8 with the spektrum dx4c. the slash has more hop up parts and parts availibility than the e revo
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Qualifier
    You buy a Erevo for $800 and a 1/8 system for $200

Put the 1/8 system in the Slash, put the Slash's velineon system in the Rustler, leave your brand new Erevo as is.

Three awesome trucks!

RC Qualifier
    For $1000 buy a used $500 1/8th scale race kit, some good 4s lipos, a nice charger, and a few sets of tires. Any decent 1/8th buggy or truggy will amaze you with the durability they offer.

RC Qualifier
    I have a brushless Revo. I bought it new about 6 months ago. AWESOME TRUCK!
    If you stay on 4s your pretty safe. If you're planning on running 6s be prepared to fix things. The stock talons don't last long no matter what. Buy the Castle link to tone it down a bit.

RC Qualifier
    E Revo with 4 lipos, a set of Proline Road Rage and a set of Badlands.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    For $1000 buy a used $500 1/8th scale race kit, some good 4s lipos, a nice charger, and a few sets of tires. Any decent 1/8th buggy or truggy will amaze you with the durability they offer.
    Now that you mention it. I have always wanted a truggy also. I'm really not familiar with "race kits"s so I guess I'll have to look into those. I have to say though that I have enjoyed the tinkering, part upgrading and building aspect of this hobby just as much and possibly even more and the driving aspect. Another reason that im on the fence about buying the revo....rtr.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    You buy a Erevo for $800 and a 1/8 system for $200

Put the 1/8 system in the Slash, put the Slash's velineon system in the Rustler, leave your brand new Erevo as is.

Three awesome trucks!
    Great idea... but I would still have to spend a couple 100 to spend on upgrading other parts to handle the power, which I could do over time not all at once. Thanks

Ok...1st off you came to a bunch of enablers asking how to spend $$ on your addiction.....this could turn into a long thread...lol...kidding! Anyhow...you said your son wants a truck like daddy's, does he realize how fast his Rustler will be with that Velenion? I just did that swap. I upgraded my Slash motor/esc and put the vxl/3500kv into a brushed Rustler I bought off Craigslist. The Rustler is a blast on 2s, it should be silly fast on 3s. My vote is to buy the big power system for your Slash(and all the necessary support pieces)and move the 3500kv into the Rustler(with all the support stuff) and save the leftover money into an upkeep account to help when stuff breaks/wears out. You said it's not often you have leftover money to spend so having 3 trucks to maintain may prove frustrating....bullet-proof the 2 you have and have fun!! Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

if you want to keep cash away for later i'd go 1/8th motor/esc, x-duty's, hot racing 17mm adapters and wheels...hmm wait a second... that's what i did do lol.
    honestly though, you could probably get all of that for under $500 and it makes for a sweet set-up.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Ok...1st off you came to a bunch of enablers asking how to spend $$ on your addiction.....this could turn into a long thread...lol...kidding! Anyhow...you said your son wants a truck like daddy's, does he realize how fast his Rustler will be with that Velenion? I just did that swap. I upgraded my Slash motor/esc and put the vxl/3500kv into a brushed Rustler I bought off Craigslist. The Rustler is a blast on 2s, it should be silly fast on 3s. My vote is to buy the big power system for your Slash(and all the necessary support pieces)and move the 3500kv into the Rustler(with all the support stuff) and save the leftover money into an upkeep account to help when stuff breaks/wears out. You said it's not often you have leftover money to spend so having 3 trucks to maintain may prove frustrating....bullet-proof the 2 you have and have fun!! Good luck!!
    I'm with him. or get the boy a matching ride off of craigslist. and awesome as the erevo sounds that money can get you a lot farther with more then just buying a new truck. but thats my .02
    slash 4wd upgraded

I agree! I have had several Slash 4x4's but I have never had a new one. I always get mine used. You get them a lot cheaper and you still have a Slash 4x4!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Bought mine used too, saved a bunch and came with a bunch of upgrades.I got 2 young boys too, that wanted a truck like daddy too but I can't afford that. I just got them some cheap 1/18 scale wl toys truck and they love. Actually I love it too thinking of getting one for me now lols.

I would get the erevo as squeegie, mentioned, it took me a few rc before I got there, 10 years plus.....but once I got the 2wd pdes; (2) then the slash 4X4, I had to get the beast and now very happy....my slash 4X4 and the erevo and revo 3.3 are my favourites.......

You can alwasy get upgrades for the other trucks later, the rusty as you kid grows up, the slash, there are good affordable 1/8 combos some mmbres use...you will not spend a lot uless you have to change practicaly everything; MIP drives x duty drive shafts, kingheadz motor mounts, aluminum bearing adapter, sway bars......etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    as far as the physical size goes....is the e revo bigger than the slash?
    Last edited by RynRC; 08-30-2015 at 03:53 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    You can alwasy get upgrades for the other trucks later, the rusty as you kid grows up, the slash, there are good affordable 1/8 combos some mmbres use...you will not spend a lot uless you have to change practicaly everything; MIP drives x duty drive shafts, kingheadz motor mounts, aluminum bearing adapter, sway bars......etc.
    On my slash I already have an aluminium motor mount [hot racing], traxxas aluminum bearing adapter, sway bars, gtr shocks, hot racing double slipper, I have proline f-11 wheels on the way but still have to buy tires. I was already planning on getting the mip x dutys eventually but since i snapped one of the shafts today I guess I will be getting them sooner than I thought...lol. where is the cheapest place to buy them?

I got to drive my cousins new VXL Ruster today and I have to say that was alot of fun but I'm still partial to my slash. Maybe I could buy a used revo and a slash roller and 1/8 motor set up. then sell the Rustler to re coupe some cash.

I bought my MIPs from these guys...no issues had them in a few days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIP-V2-Front...125356846?rd=1
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    I bought my MIPs from these guys...no issues had them in a few days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIP-V2-Front...125356846?rd=1
    Thanks for the link. That happens to be be one of the places I bought some other upgrades. I didn't realize they had them.

RC Racer
    Question, why doesn't traxxas make a truggy? It would be nice also if the rustler had a 4wd option.

Here's another link for ya...guy selling a Revo in the marketplace:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...03-fs-ft-erevo
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Here's another link for ya...guy selling a Revo in the marketplace:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...03-fs-ft-erevo
    Thanks again Dcuda69. As I keep reading different threads... more and more I keep thinking to myself to just go with the slash upgrades. Regardless, of what I do, I will be following the advice of you and a few others and will get something used if I decide to go with the new rig.

RC Racer
    Well, I should have my first deposit today. In the past few weeks I have decided not to spend it on buying a brand new revo. I'm going to focus on continuing to upgrade my slash and my son's Rustler. Then I'm going to keep an eye out for a good ebay deal on a used 1/8 racer buggy or truggy. I did the front end wide mod with slash rear arms to the rustler over the this pats weekend. Big improvement in handling. First up is new tires and wheels for both. I already have one brand new set of 2.2/3.0 trenchers. Anyone ever use short course size wheels on the rustler?

Yes I used them liked the looks and handling. actually enjoyed it way more than with my 2.8" trenchers. Imo just too big for the rusty.

RC Racer
    Thanks timmey77. That body looks really cool. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by RynRC View Post
    Thanks timmey77. That body looks really cool. What is it?
    Looks to be the Bulldog body. I have and love that body.
    Been following this thread to see where you go and I think your making a good decision.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Racer
    Thanks JerrysMaxx. I figure going used on a roller is a goid option. I bought my first rc (slash lcg 4x4) brand new new not realizing that between the upgrade I have already done and future upgrades most of the original parts will be removed from it. I just purchased the aluminum axle carriers and C hubs that come off of the platinum edition. :-) happy days! Next up is axles and a new motor and esc setup. Still deciding on x-dutys/teknos axles and which motor. Castle 2200,2650 or el sob special...then I still have to do more research on esc. I'm going to also ho with castle for the esc but I'm not sure which one.
    Last edited by RynRC; 09-10-2015 at 07:23 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you definitely want to stick with Castle for the motor ESC, I'd go with the Sidewinder 8th combo. Already waterproof and it's more than enough for a Slash.

RC Competitor
    I love the bulldog body. Have one on my slash truggy. I had thought about getting a e-revo to. But my opinion as most of everyone else's is to stick with the slash and upgrade it and the rusty. The slash is plenty of fun and the sw8 combo just adds that much more fun.

RC Racer
    I would look at all options in the category you like from all manufactures, if your looking for a monster truck or a truggy there's a lot of them used or as rollers but it all depends on what kind of rig your looking for I'd check around before getting a new Erevo. I like rigs with twin vertical chassis plates they seem to be the toughest for bashing.

I would get the summit, a nice BL System, good lipos, better tires for bashing eg. trencher x, stiffer rear springs, some rpm parts....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    If you definitely want to stick with Castle for the motor ESC, I'd go with the Sidewinder 8th combo. Already waterproof and it's more than enough for a Slash.
    Well I thought I was definitely going with castle until I was reading about the Hobbywing sc8 esc. Sounds like it is more powerful, less expensive and easier to program. Still not sure though so I am open to suggestions. If I do get that esc, what would be the best motor to pair with it? I would like something that works with 2s-4s although I will mostly be running 3s.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RynRC View Post
    Well I thought I was definitely going with castle until I was reading about the Hobbywing sc8 esc. Sounds like it is more powerful, less expensive and easier to program. Still not sure though so I am open to suggestions. If I do get that esc, what would be the best motor to pair with it? I would like something that works with 2s-4s although I will mostly be running 3s.
    Well... one good thing about it is that if you buy it from a place such as Ebay or Amazon... you do have 30 days to return it to the seller if any problems arise. If something was ever "defective", it's usually going to blow up right away, not later down the road.

For motors, there are LOTS of choices. My favorite, of course, is the RC Gear Shop 2150kv. It's only $44 and it's a real beast @ 40mm x 74mm. That ESC will also work very well with the Traxxas 2400kv, The Kershaw Designs 2700kv, The Castle 2200kv and the Castle 2650kv and MANY Leopard and Tacon 40mm motors. We were talking about this in another thread... everyone has their favorite. There is no wrong choice. It's what YOU like. I can give you a little guidance though. If you are mostly going to drive off-road (grass)... go with the lower kv for stump pulling torque such as the 2150kv or 2200kv. If you want to run mostly on-road (or very hard packed dirt) go with the higher kv such as the 2650kv or the 2700kv.

RC Racer
    Wow. That is a really good price for the RC gearshop motor. I was not aware of that one. I mainly run on very low cut (1") zoysia grass which dies off and turns hard in fall/winter, mainly leaving the roots flat to the surface. Once and a while I run it up and down the street for speed runs.

RC Racer
    I run the hobbywing SC8 with the traxxas 2400kv motor on 3s...all I can say is holly cow...love this ESC and motor combo...definitely can't go wrong with this set up. Everything runs and stays cool.

RC Racer
    THanks for the insight Wfraser. I really appreciate it. I'm going with the sc8. Just ordered it and I'm getting ready to order the 2150 rc gearshop. Im trying to save a dollar wherever possible. My ebay cart is already up to 280 and I'm still not done. Boy this is one expensive hobby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast