Thread: storage

RC Enthusiast

storage

i put my batteries on storage mode.it discharged lipos to 3.91 and 3.92 per cell(didnt finish my fun ,so had to discharge a bit).64% of capacity it says on my battery checker.is it still ok or a little too high?help pls

3.8-3.85v per cell

3.9V is fine, it's really not that critical to hit the exact 3.85V that is commonly used as storage voltage.

RC Enthusiast
    Here's a question: Is it Ok to run a lipo battery after charging to "storage" voltage? In other words, let's say I charged my lipo in storage mode a few days ago. Today I want to run it but don't want to wait to charge it fully. Is it OK to run the battery at 3.8 volts or is it going to take valuable cycles off my battery if I don't charge it up to a full 4.2 volts per cell before using it?
    RC to have fun!

its fine. it just wont run that long

Quote Originally Posted by Brad9126 View Post
    Here's a question: Is it Ok to run a lipo battery after charging to "storage" voltage? In other words, let's say I charged my lipo in storage mode a few days ago. Today I want to run it but don't want to wait to charge it fully. Is it OK to run the battery at 3.8 volts or is it going to take valuable cycles off my battery if I don't charge it up to a full 4.2 volts per cell before using it?
    No need to fully charge it but still recommended to do a short balance charge after storage to balance out the cells. As for valuable battery cycles, partial charges do not take away a full cycle off the LiPo life. Smart batteries ( the ones with integrated charge controllers ) in electronics see a battery cycle as a charge of the full capacity ( e.g. a 5000 mAh LiPo received a charge of 5000mA) and the counter only increments if the value was reached which can be cumulative over several short partial capacity charges or at one full capacity charge.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Panamon. So this brings up the next question: Since my initial motivation for using the battery in the stored state was lazyness and instant gratification, what constitutes a "short balance charge"?
    My charger is a Hitec X4ACplus which is fully automatic in all modes of charging and generally take about 3 hours to balance charge (after the last storage charge) at 1C rate (5 amps on a 5000 mAh). So... how would I do a "short" balance charge. Would I simply stop it in the middle of a balance charge at some point? If so, when?
    RC to have fun!

With a short balance charge I mean to have all cells balanced out to the same voltage since they may go out of balance during storage ( usually not a problem with new good quality LiPo with well matched cells). Hmmm 3 hours for a full balance charge is long. Your charger has 50 watts per channel so it would charge at around 4 amps max with a 3S LiPo but if cell voltages are out of balance it would reduce the charge current to equalize the cells (0.8 amps or so). Long balance charging times could indicate a cell mismatch problem.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
    With a short balance charge I mean to have all cells balanced out to the same voltage since they may go out of balance during storage ( usually not a problem with new good quality LiPo with well matched cells). Hmmm 3 hours for a full balance charge is long. Your charger has 50 watts per channel so it would charge at around 4 amps max with a 3S LiPo but if cell voltages are out of balance it would reduce the charge current to equalize the cells (0.8 amps or so). Long balance charging times could indicate a cell mismatch problem.
    That's interesting. I've had the same issue with my hitec x4ac, but the last time I balanced my duratrax batteries, it worked while the time before it wouldn't complete.

I'll try to notice again when I get my gens ace batteries out of storage.

RC Enthusiast
    you say storage between 3.8-3.85.i charged mine to between 3.806 and 3.809.one is 2S the 0ther 3S.both are 5600mah 60C my battery checker hyperion eos sentry.it also shows precentage.it shows 34%.yet my battery mfg says to keep it at 50-60%.that would be a lot more than 3.80 i guess around 3.90? im guessing.these are spc batteries.am i hurting them by keeping it at 3.806?

No you can even keep them above 3.9

I personally store at 3.7 to 3.9

All ok

RC Enthusiast
    also why is there a difference in reading battery voltage on my hyperion super duo charger and my hyperion eos sentry battery checker?during charging i can see individual cell voltage lets say it shows 3.85.when i connect it to my battery checker it shows 3.78 .which one should i trust???i tend to trust battery checker ,because when i got my batteries it showed 3.82 to 3.85 on each cell.any help would be appreciated....

Is the charger reading while charging? If so, it should read higher.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    I think it should read lower. During charging it shows each individual cell and what voltage it currently has. Let's say it shows 3.85 at which point I stop charging. When i connect it to my eos battery checker it shows 3.78

What's your charge rate set at? With high charge rates you'll get a larger reduction in cell voltage after it stopped then if low charge rates are used.

Quote Originally Posted by kremo View Post
    I think it should read lower. During charging it shows each individual cell and what voltage it currently has. Let's say it shows 3.85 at which point I stop charging. When i connect it to my eos battery checker it shows 3.78
    That is normal behavior.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    I charge at 2C

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
    What's your charge rate set at? With high charge rates you'll get a larger reduction in cell voltage after it stopped then if low charge rates are used.
    I agree. My understanding of Ohm's law is that you can't force amperage into a load (the load here being the battery) so therefore when you set the charge current higher (0.5c vs 2c for example) the charger basically ups the voltage so the battery "draws" more current (amperage) thus charging faster. This is why you see the difference in voltage readings between the charger display while charging vs the tester after removing it from the charger. This has been my experience over 30 years of experience with various types of batteries (lead acid mostly in cars, bikes, quads, etc) NOT lipos, I"m new to these and still learning.

Since starting this hobby about 8 months ago (I know... complete nube!) I've tracked my NiMH and my lipos for each and every charge since new. The NiMH batteries always show a lower tester voltage, on avg 0.6 volt lower than the charger displays at the end of the charge cycle. With lipos on the other hand, readings between charger and tester always show within 0.05 volts of each other and sometimes the tester voltage is higher.

My guess as to why would be that I use the Balance Mode of charging so each lipo cell is truly fully charged.
    I also find it interesting that while being stored a NiMH will drop in voltage very quickly compared to a Lipo which if checked several days after storage charging will be within a couple 1/100ths of a volt to what it was when it came off the charger. Ahh.... the miracle of Lipo technology!
    RC to have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Just for grins & giggles I charged one of my 2S 5000/40Cs on storage mode at 0.1 amps. It took 20 hrs, 45 minutes to finish! Both cells measured within 0.1 volt of each other at start. When done the charger read 7.60, my meter read 3.81/3.81 & 7.62. I'd say they're balanced!
    RC to have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    One more question about nimh batteries my truck came with.do they need to be charged little bit when i don't use them? So far i just charge them and run my truck till it stops,then i just put them away and charge again when i want to play next time.is that the way to do it?thx

RC Enthusiast
    One more question about nimh batteries my truck came with.do they need to be charged little bit when i don't use them? So far i just charge them and run my truck till it stops,then i just put them away and charge again when i want to play next time.is that the way to do it?thx
    The owner of my LHS told me that after a NiMH sits overnight or longer to "top them off" before running them. His explanation, which makes perfect sense to me, is that NiMH batteries loose charge at a fairly fast rate so if you use them as is you don't get the full capacity (run time) out of them. He followed this up with the consensus that NiMH batteries don't have the memory that Ni-Cads are known for so it doesn't hurt to "top them off" in this manner.
    I've been doing this with mine for months now and it doesn't seem to hurt them, in the sense that they give me the same run time now as they did when they were new.

You mentioned you run your NiMHs till the truck stops. I've heard this is not good for the NiMHs. I run mine till I see a noticeable decrease in "punch" or acceleration response then charge them (after they cool of course!)
    RC to have fun!

NIMH are far less sensitive to charge levels while stored than LiPo batteries are but I'd keep them charged when putting them away. They should be cycled every couple of weeks in case they are stored for extended periods of time otherwise they'll get an internal crystal build up that significantly increases the self discharge rate (often misinterpreted as "Memory effect" which has been eliminated in modern day NiMH and NiCd batteries) and a low discharge conditioning is required for the crystals to dissolve.
    NiMH are sensitive to high temperatures and running them down until your car doesn't move anymore may heat the battery significantly up thus is not recommended.

RC Enthusiast
    how do you check nimh batteries for voltage levels if it only has traxxas connector to charge them?

how do you check nimh batteries for voltage levels if it only has traxxas connector to charge them?
    Good chargers show the voltage.

RC Enthusiast
    ok thx.hyperion eos sentry battery checker says it can check nimh batteries.how?anybody knows?

RC Enthusiast
    Hi all. I am new so please keep me right. So when I purchase my traxxas rustler xl -5 I put the battery on charge. Right? Once it's charged do I plug it into car and run it or let it cool off for 30min 1 hour? And if I decide time to stop playing what do I do? 1 let it cool and then trickle charge or 2 let it cool and storage charge. And then if I want to play aging do I charge it again or can I plug it in and run? Sorry but it's all new to me and needing help

RC Champion
    Charge it and run it. Once done for the week, then let it cool and storage charge. When you are ready to play again, charge it and play.

Quote Originally Posted by uktraxxa5 View Post
    Hi all. I am new so please keep me right. So when I purchase my traxxas rustler xl -5 I put the battery on charge. Right? Once it's charged do I plug it into car and run it or let it cool off for 30min 1 hour? And if I decide time to stop playing what do I do? 1 let it cool and then trickle charge or 2 let it cool and storage charge. And then if I want to play aging do I charge it again or can I plug it in and run? Sorry but it's all new to me and needing help
    Nimhs have best performance directly after the charge when they are still warm.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Nimhs have best performance directly after the charge when they are still warm.
    Thanks for the info. What's your opinion for the rest of my questions?

Quote Originally Posted by uktraxxa5 View Post
    Thanks for the info. What's your opinion for the rest of my questions?
    First a quick question, are your asking about NiMH or LiPo batteries?

RC Enthusiast
    Just what would come with the RTR rustler xl -5

That would be a NiMH battery
    Please post your question in the Traxxas NiMH forum since this thread and forum is specifically for Traxxas LiPo batteries.

RC Racer
    I have traxxas ID charger, does it mean it automatic set to certain voltage when I set to Storage mode?