RC Qualifier

SCT 3800 set up highest gearing?

Ok so I've gone big on motors before and it's just starting to lose its fun. I want to make a small motor and voltage feel big. So I have the sct 3800 set up in my pede. I'm going cooling fan and sir movement crazy, but I ran a 15/54 at 125℉ today and I have bigger better plans to keep this thing cool. I'm just curious how high anyone else has successfully run this system on 2s without overheating anything?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There isn't a gearing magic number, and thus, not an exact answer. There are too many variables. Gear as aggressively as possible and stay under 160*

RC Qualifier
    No I'm not looking for a magic number. I wanted to see if anyone else had ever tried to keep this system cool enough to push beyond reasonable gearing. The turbo V6 vs a V8 ideal comes to mind. Can I find a way to make this system compete with a bigger system is more what I meant.

RC Qualifier
    There is no way for your smaller system to perform with as much power as the bigger systems, these aren't internal combustion engines there are no super/turbo chgrs, no DOHC, no DI, no 5valves/cyl, no hemis....

Right now with brushless motors, bigger is better.

RC Qualifier
    I feel as though the idea behind this thread is being missed. I'm aware that these motors are very different from a car. Having said that the principal is still the same. How do you push a power train to its full potential?

Quote Originally Posted by K Money View Post
    I feel as though the idea behind this thread is being missed. I'm aware that these motors are very different from a car. Having said that the principal is still the same. How do you push a power train to its full potential?
    i'm fairly certain everybody gets what you're trying to do and we get your analogy. the problem is rc cars don't deal with heat like a 1:1 car does. the smaller the motor is the more heat it's going produce when pushing the same weight, especially when it's a 4x4.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Qualifier
    Well I will let you guys know how it turns out I guess. I just see this becoming an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by K Money View Post
    Well I will let you guys know how it turns out I guess. I just see this becoming an argument.
    nobody here is arguing with you but we definitely are trying to steer you in a direction that saves you from having to replace a motor. the velineon 3500 struggles to run the stampede or slash which is why you'll notice that new motor/esc combos are among the most popular upgrades for these. a 3800 is only going to get warmer quicker.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Qualifier
    Ok maybe I should have been more clear. I have two mmp systems laying around along with a sidewinder 8th. I have been doing this a while and know what is typical of these trucks. This is my 3rd p4de. My plan is to prove the typical is wrong. 1:1 cars have implemented systems to cool them. The velineon system doesn't even come with a fan. The sv3 system comes with a dinky little fan that might actually restrict airflow more than support it. The 3800 system geared up has plenty of power to move the truck it just gets hot. That's not a failure of the system to preform the job it's just a problem to address. I'm addressing that problem and looking for any info people have about the 3800 system so I know when/if I have made a difference