RC poster

New to the game, with a Brushless Stampede 4x4 VXL with TSM

Whats up, boys and girls!

New to the game, just got myself a new Brushless Stampede 4x4 VXL with TSM around 2 weeks ago, been enjoying it on the NiMh battery it comes with, loads of fun. But now I'm ready to move upto the 2s and maybe ocasionly 3s on tarmac/loose gravel. Would I need change gears, if so what would be the ideal gearing I would use, and I heard they run really hot with the lipos?

Also totally stripped out one of my hub hexs and wheel hex, so looking to upgrade to 17mm hex, which conversion set is the best, and do they make the truck have a little wider stance? Going to get the F-11 2.8" 17mm hex wheels to fit, with trenchers.

Cheers team, Im sure Ill have many more questions!

Mash
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-05-2016 at 02:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    Be ready to spend a pretty penny if you decide to go to 3s. Not sure about 2s as i don't have one.

You'll be upgrading axles (CV shafts), adapters (12mm to 17mm hex, bearing adapter), and cooling fan/heat sink if you want a solid day of bashing. Because of sheer speed, you'll break a hub axle/caster block/steering block here and there so upgrade to aluminum when those break. As for the bumpers, RPM makes a solid wide front bumper that absorbs lots of impact and same with their a-arms. The Traxxas performance aluminum w/ rubber wheelie bar wheels are awesome and provide a much more stable wheelie.

From my experience, gearing is fine stock and i run pretty hard and it doesn't get overly hot (though I am in Canada and only run in in temperatures 10 C, 50 F to 30 C, 86 F).
    Adriano C.
    Moded 'Pede 44

I would not go to 3s unless you are ready to spend alot more cash on it unless you are purely doing speed runs on flat tarmac. This may sound strange but you could easily buy another different type of experience Traxxas RC instead of upgrading the Stampede.

A big win with that solution is if one of them break you always have the other one to drive while the broken one awaits parts and repair. If you choose to go with 3s, check this Stampede 4x4 forum, there are numerous threads/posts about upgrades and tips.

Edit, i went 3s and lets just say my Stampede 4x4 VXL TSM likes cash and repair time, so its good that im blessed with another Traxxas RC to drive during the process.
    Last edited by cazrack; 08-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mashprimrose View Post
    Whats up, boys and girls!

New to the game, just got myself a new Brushless Stampede 4x4 VXL with TSM around 2 weeks ago, been enjoying it on the NiMh battery it comes with, loads of fun. But now I'm ready to move upto the 2s and maybe ocasionly 3s on tarmac/loose gravel. Would I need change gears, if so what would be the ideal gearing I would use, and I heard they run really hot with the lipos?

Also totally stripped out one of my hub hexs and wheel hex, so looking to upgrade to 17mm hex, which conversion set is the best, and do they make the truck have a little wider stance? Going to get the F-11 2.8" 17mm hex wheels to fit, with trenchers.

Cheers team, Im sure Ill have many more questions!

Mash
    For a couple hundred more you can run vxl fine on 3s.

Get metal driveshafts. I use mip but others swear by Trx drives, Tekno drives, etc. I'd probably upgrade driveshafts before getting 17mm adapters.

Also get 17mm hex adapters like you planned. There is adapters by Hot racing that add 10mm of width or offset to truck. I have those on one of my pedes on the other 2 I use mip adapters. I like the look of the Mip adapters. Its really just what ever look you prefer. Hot racing adapters.MIP adapters.

Get the Trx esc fan and a motor fan but leave gearing alone. It's fine on stock gearing.

You need to upgrade shocks. GTRs are good for pede, D8's are the best imo. If you don't upgrade to a different shock then at least get the aluminum shock caps. The plastic ones pop off real easy.

Upgrade your bearing adapter to aluminum on slipper clutch. The stock one is plastic and will melt eventually. Search threads on it, ill see if I can find it. While it's apart go ahead and upgrade to revo slipper. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6148985The blue part is the bearing adapter.

The very first thing to buy is a good hex driver set so you can work on it. The very next thing every hobby grade rc owner should have is a temp gun. They start at 10usd and go up. Temps tell you everything. 130 -160 on motor temp and 120 - 140 on esc temp.

2s lipo is the same voltage as nimh. The difference is the Lipo gives you a consistent power until it needs recharging. The nimh battery starts strong and gets weaker(truck gets slower) until dead and needing recharging.

If you want your body to last do the shoe glue body mod. Take shoe glue and fiberglass mesh drywall tape and reinforce the body like this.

Also if you get tires in water they will fill up so drill small holes in them to allow water to come out like this. Just 2 holes 180 from each other is fine.

So to sum it up. Tools, then temp gun, then bearing adapter and revo slipper, then driveshafts, then 17mm adapters and wheels n tires, last shocks. Unless you break something then just upgrade whats broke. The aluminum hubs and castors can wait. Had mine for almost a year and just now starting to replace those...

This has been my experience so far.
    Other than that enjoy and most of all... Welcome to the family and the rc addiction lol....

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-05-2016 at 02:26 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    Can you link me to the thread to the revo slipper upgrade?
    I don't need to completely go to revo slipper aye? just some parts?

RC poster
    Thanks so much team, especially Briber! Great write up! Just about to make my first order, just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

CVD - LXAAVG and LXAAVF (But was wondering if the techno ones are cheaper? Can't seem to find them...
    Slipper - LXAAHD , LXZUH8 and LXHGC5
    17mm Hex - LXELYP

And then got the F-11 17mm hex, with 2.8" trenchers
    and an RPM wide front bumper.

In a couple weeks, I'll get the shocks and upgrade the plastic parts to aluminum, as well as fans (its pretty cold here in New Zealand at the moment around 10 degree celsius which is 50f ), the traxxas wheelie wheels, and lastley proline body with shoe glue!

Then I should be good to go? With 2s and 3s?

RC Competitor
    Ya, all the product codes look right
    techno driveshafts are cheaper (from what I've seen). But from what I've heard, from not only here but other forums as well, is that the MIP work better.
    There are people that love the techno ones, however.
    Personally I will be getting the MIP's.

These MIP are cheaper btw, lots of prices here beat any other website. (Never ordered from here). Don't know if the ship to new zealand, you'll have to see.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/MIP-X-Du...p/mip11110.htm
    http://www.rcsuperstore.com/MIP-X-Du...p/mip11109.htm

you're set for 3s, some people prefer the extra power some are satisfied with the 2s.
    If you have the money i would recommend the 3s, you don't have to pull the trigger down all the way lol. you can also go training mode.
    2s is plenty for your first hobby grade though. (I used NiMH for my first one lol)
    Last edited by Svillax; 09-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.

RC poster
    I ended up getting the MIP's, all the gear should be here in two long weeks!

Now just setting up the second order, I saw this , was wondering if anyone has done something similar or have used the same kit, and does it add on much extra wight or strain the motor etc? Also is it necessary to change all these parts to aluminum, or should I just get the ones that are necessary to change?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFVVG&P=7

And are these the right shocks for my stampede, and what wight oil should I use?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HOT-BODI...-/311393448022

Thanks so much Team, can't wait to get her back bashing!!

RC Competitor
    i personally wouldn't get the suspension kit, you can if you want.
    I would rather break an a-arm than something more expensive. I don't like too much aluminum :P
    I bet you're motor will be fine. If you want you can lol.

I'm pretty sure those should fit.
    as for oil weight, idk lol. on other trucks i tend to go 50 rear and around 40 front. i have a feeling the p4de will need much different oil.

RC poster
    Yeah did more research into them , not keen anymore specially from what I've read about that company. Hmm I just want some decent shocks that will fit with no modifications.

Thanks team

RC Racer
    You can use these shocks from a slash and they are priced well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SLASH-ULT...gAAOSwGvhUGeyf

RC poster
    Will they last, unlike my stock one's? and would it be best to get aluminium shock caps for them?

Yeah did more research into them , not keen anymore specially from what I've read about that company. Hmm I just want some decent shocks that will fit with no modifications.

Thanks team
    Gtr or d8s are really good shocks. No mods. D8s need a spacer called a standoff on front top only of shock no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Svillax View Post
    Can you link me to the thread to the revo slipper upgrade?
    I don't need to completely go to revo slipper aye? just some parts?
    Look above in my post. Click on blue link in slipper part of my post. Or here it is https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6148985

RC poster

First post but I would really like to thank Briber for that long post. I have no rc experience but wife and I loved them at a nhra event. Have a pede 4x4 and a pede 2x4, for her, on the way. Thanks for everyone's info. I'll be soaking up this forum for awhile

Please watch the language.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-06-2016 at 10:04 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by illiniharrison View Post
    First post but I would really like to thank Briber for that long post. I have no rc experience but wife and I loved them at a nhra event. Have a pede 4x4 and a pede 2x4, for her, on the way. Thanks for everyone's info. I'll be soaking up this forum for awhile

ksb51rl
    Ya, these guys (especially briber and a couple others) always answer thoroughly no matter how much you bug them about every single little detail lol.
    Enjoy your new toys!

RC Racer
    They will last and no need for an alloy shock cap as the body is alloy. it's only when you get plastic on plastic that they will pop off. It's worthwhile chasing up variable damping kit too, part no 5461, its about $6. Drill the piston holes out to 1.6mm.

ksb51rl
    Your welcome, which nhra event?

Quote Originally Posted by Svillax View Post
    Ya, these guys (especially briber and a couple others) always answer thoroughly no matter how much you bug them about every single little detail lol.
    Enjoy your new toys!
    Bug me, it's all good lol, if I can save someone from making a mistake or help them get back up and running faster it's all worth it....

Last edited by Briber; 09-07-2016 at 04:29 AM.

RC poster
    We go to the Joilet event everyyear. Almost went to to Indy but had to pick son up from basic training

We go to the Joilet event everyyear. Almost went to to Indy but had to pick son up from basic training
    I live across the river in MO, coworker and I try to go to KC and Chicago(Joilet) every year but that's hit and miss. We always go to Gateway and Indi. This is the first year in 15 that I missed Indi. I was in WA state with my brother running rc s.

Thanks team
    Check out this post on D8's, they are direct replacement, no mods needed. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6263476 I run 50w shock oil in all my rcs.

Last edited by Briber; 09-17-2016 at 10:57 AM.