RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Sway Bar Install

Hey guys,

I bought a traxxas sway bar kit today (unfortunately the guy couldn't order the Tekno one and I am a little impatient so I went with the traxxas). Can anyone provide me some info about how to properly install this thing? ie, videos, descriptions, pictures etc. Honestly a step by step would be insanly great lol

RC Qualifier
    Search on google or youtube. 'revo sway bar install', enough to find

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm, So the more I google I actually hear people say not to install the sway bar because of some complications after install such as broken rocker arms etc. Do any of you find a disadvantage of installing the traxxas sway bar kit? I know tekno is the easier install but I ended up going with traxxas. Should I just return this one and get the tekno or not even install this?

Anyone have opinions on the improvements of sway bars and if any. Please list your experiences. Thanks

It is fairly easy, just follow wisely the instructions on the paper and you should be fine.

How ever this is one of the easier videos to follow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiQcd-tLNM
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    I went through the same thing and had to follow that video to get a better understanding of how it was installed.
    Even after watching the video, I got it wrong. I found it a tad hard to follow the instructions, but that could have been cause I was in a rush to get it installed.

The front suspension plastic support retainer that holds the sway bar, was installed wrong because the sway bar was not sitting in the slot. so the sway bar was actually stuck in one position. I only figured out about my mistake after a month of having it installed, that it was wrong cause the revo would not turn properly. Also the fact that I removed the plastic support retainer and spotted my mistake.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh brother ! I am a little nervous to do this now haha. Thanks for the scare Masda.

And thanks Jezza, I watched that video already. I feel like I need a more basic video then that basic video on youtube HA

RC Competitor
    Nah mate, don't feel like that. We have to learn from our mistakes.
    If you want close up pics of the Install, let me know.

I am pretty sure you won't break anything if installed incorrectly.

RC Qualifier
    The traxxas sway bar install is a lot easier than it looks. I also have yet to break a rocker with them installed, and I have the traxxas kit on 2 revo's 1 brushless and a nitro one. Just take your time and see how the parts fit together. The hardest part I found was running the long screws in for the rear sway bar attachment, just trying to line it all up.

RC Competitor
    DomKud, just for you. Please dont pay attention to the state of the car. she is due for a complete overhaul. she will be taken apart and everything cleaned. suspension will be replaced with rebuilt gtr suspension that came with the car.
    Compressed air will clean all dust and she will be cleaned down with Silicone oil as well.

http://imgur.com/a/ytRPS#Qs9pkXj

I had the same issue with the rear sway bar and getting it all aligned. that was hard. it would have been easier with an electric screwdriver..........
    Drilling the holes in the rockers was easy after watching the video.
    I thought that was going to be the hardest part. it was the easiest if you screw things in.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Masda, I took a look at the pictures. I think I know how to get her done now. With the videos, pictures and me reading the manual 5 times, I think I can manage this ( I GOT THIS! lol). And I just bought an air compressor just for this RC. I cant even get my air compressor to function properly LOL. The quick coupler on my hose is letting air escape. Not sure if I am suppose to tape the ends or what not. I swear I am not a complete idiot. And my gf things I am crazy for doing all this. My friend got me into this hobby and she wants to kick his bu** because she knows how much time and money I spend on this stuff. Ohhhhhh well ! ha

And jdavi, thanks for the confidence. I guess I will know in a couple of days if I have it done right. Oh and I am assuming I need to tighten the front (long) links to shorten them when putting them on the front sway bar right? I have seen some guys running their links longer (bc they didnt tighten them) and it hits the transmission covering. I am right about tightening ( screwing them shorter) the links right?

RC Competitor
    Just a heads up. The last photo shows where I have the rear sway bar connected to the rocker, but it also shows how I shimmed the rocker post. I have placed a shim between the chassis and the rocker post to lift the suspension higher so it does not rub on the chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Domkud, yes you should tighten the front sway links all the way down, this will clear the shaft on the transmission.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks jdavi!

And Masda, I do not see that in the picture. But will I need to do this step or is it okay not to shim the rocker? What is this for?

RC Enthusiast
    Oh and what is the best combo with the black and silver sway bars? silver front and silver back or silver front black back? I am looking for the combo to be versatile. I do off road terrains and street as well.

RC Competitor
    It is okay if you don't do this step.
    It is merely to stop the suspension springs from rubbing on the chassis.

Look at the rocker at the back.
    See where the sway arm push rod connects to the rocker?
    To the left of that is the rocker post that holds it to the chassis. At the bottom, there is a 1mm thick washer. That lifts the suspension and stops it rubbing.
    http://i.imgur.com/ZNcfdDSh.jpg

In regards to the sway bar combo, stick with just the silver bars for off road. For road or track applications, use the black bars. You could experiment by mixing them and see what combo suits your driving style.
    Last edited by Masda74; 09-09-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Add more info

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I am actually on this step now. As I was installing this I realize this is going to be a problem. Does the washer that the kit come with do the trick or do you think I will need to install a thicker washer?

RC Competitor
    I actually used my own washer which I believe is close to 1mm thick. I found that the supplied washer was to shallow and the suspension spring still rubbed on the chassis.
    Keep in mind that the location on the chassis where the support rocker pole screws into, has been worn out a fair bit and the pole was sinking into the chassis. Due to this happening, this is the reason I used my own washer.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Masda,

So I had to halt this little project because one of the screws are so tight I couldnt complete the second rocker install on the rear. I am like 80 percent complete. The traxxas kit came with a 6x10x2mm washer. It looks pretty narrow but it will do the trick considering your telling me you used an even smaller one.

Ill have to continue this project tomorrow. Can't believe a 30 min sway bar install turned into a 2 day venture. lol

RC Competitor
    all good. you learn from the experience. next time you will be able to do it in 30min.
    I am contemplating getting a second revo.

RC Enthusiast
    Finally got my sway bar completed. You know what, after thinking about it this sway bar install isn't that difficult to install. I watched the video on youtube and the guy said the difficulty level is like 7 out of 10. Id probably say its a 5.

Excited to take her on the road to see if theres any change in handling.

And Masda, you should !

Thanks for all the help guys