RC poster

Best Castle system for Rustler?

My brushless velineon system on my Rustler has recently broke down, and I want to fix this and at the same time make it better in the most efficient way possible. What Castle systems can I use with my stock 25/83 gearing without having any problems? Also, what motor would be my best choice for just having fun with my car without spending too much money? Thanks.

This is the one I have and it is great on 2s and insane on 3s....
    http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creatio.../dp/B00AQYMP8K
    Others like this one which is also a good set up.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creatio.../dp/B00FRH7XWO
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Champion
    That 4600 is a great system ! The 3800 is nice as well but tons of torque for a 2wd system.
    1 Slash 3 Rustys & visits with my old P4de/SC8

The 3800 and 4600 combos are both great systems for running 2S. Forget the KV figures though as the 3800 is a much bigger motor than the 4600 and is the more powerful system. As a result it can be geared higher and never breaks into a sweat. Just make sure you feed it with a lipo that can comfortably meet its current draw.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC poster
    Yup. Well maybe not, but I do want something that will last and make my car work really good, and I figured that since Castle is classified as 'the best', I thought i'd go with it.

RC poster
    Can any of the two run without problems on 25/83 gearing?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBerez View Post
    Can any of the two run without problems on 25/83 gearing?
    I ran it on 23/83 and it only hit 140F, even on grass. 25/83 should be no problem for it. That Castle 3800kv systems will run 25/83 as well. The 4600kv system, might have to go like 21/83... not sure on that though. I've never had that particular motor. Generally... the higher the kv, the lower the pinion gear needs to be to keep heat under control.

I figured that since Castle is classified as 'the best', I thought i'd go with it.
    Meh... I've seen just as many blown up Castle products as any other. I wouldn't say "The best" I would just say "Most popular". If you wanted "The best" you'd want to look at maybe Tekin or Novak systems. They are very pricey though and you were saying "without spending too much money". I'm not trying to steer you away from Castle. It is not a bad product at all. I just wanted you to be aware that they have their flaws too. In the end though... it all goes by the way you take care of it, no matter which brand it is... meaning... not overheating it constantly.

So... comparing the 3900kv system I pointed out vs. the Castle 3800kv system, both are going to be pretty much equal in performance. The difference will be that Castle just has a better "no nonsense" warranty, where as the RC Gear Shop system will be hit and miss on the warranty. RC Gearshop = Hobbywing, BTW. You just need to figure out if the $35.00 difference is worth it to you or not.

I've got both the 4600 and 3800. I would think 25/83 is a bit toppy for the 4600. I've mainly run it with 14/54 which is roughly the same as 21/83 and it was fine - it stayed under 150F most of the time.

I love their motors for bashing but I'm no longer a fan of Castle's ESCs and would rather put my money into something like a Hobbywing SC8-WP these days - beefy 120A capability and full 3A BEC for running a powerful servo. If that RC Gearshop stuff is rebadged HW then IMO it's a bargain.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    but I'm no longer a fan of Castle's ESCs
    What's bad about their ESCs?

RC poster
    does the sidewinder 3 overheat on 3s? Also, what is the top speed you can get from it on 25/83 gearing?

RC poster
    What is the difference between a Castle SCT 3800kv and a Sidewinder 3 3800kv? which one is better?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    does the sidewinder 3 overheat on 3s?
    1/10th scale Sidewinder ESCs are kind of "iffy" on 3s.

Also, what is the top speed you can get from it on 25/83 gearing?
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

What is the difference between a Castle SCT 3800kv and a Sidewinder 3 3800kv? which one is better?
    They are the exact same ESC. The SCT version just comes with a fan.

Honestly though... if you want to run 3s... you should be looking at The Mamba Max Pro or the Hobbywing WP-SC8.

What's bad about their ESCs?
    First I should say my Castle products comprise two SCT 3800 combos (both the older SV2 models), two MMPs and one 1406 4600 motor and they have all been reliable.

Things I don't like:

About both ESCs - weak BECs, flimsy construction (have cracked two MMPs cases to date but at least they're a replaceable part), price vs. competition (also the SCT 3800 combo is good value due to the motor you get)

About the Sidewinders - very hot running (need a fan), not very smooth power delivery, cannot run sensored motors

About the MMPs - no turbo mode (which means it's uncompetitive in certain racing classes)

I do like their reliability (although I know many others that don't share this view) and the ease of use of the Castlelink software.

RC Champion
    If Hobbywing had a program software like castle's link system they would be one of the best imo hands down. That link system on your computer is just really awesome ! But agree with wolf. The Sidewinder esc's are not that great.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    If Hobbywing had a program software like castle's link system they would be one of the best imo hands down. That link system on your computer is just really awesome ! But agree with wolf. The Sidewinder esc's are not that great.
    Hobbywing does... it's been out for a while. You can even download it and play with it in demo mode, even if you don't have an ESC.

http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=218

RC Champion
    Ooooo Well then I'm sold hahaha I haven't bought an ESC in awhile so this is news to me Now if only the other Hobby people will make one haha.

RC Qualifier
    castle 2400 on 4s geared to the moon!!!