Thread: Best upgrades?

RC Racer

Best upgrades?

So my 4wd Slash OBA/TSM/LCG arrived today and I was wondering what you guys consider the best upgrades, besides the battery? (My SPC Lipo 2s is arriving tomorrow)

I kinda wish the rims and tires were a little larger. Any recommendations on that? I'm hoping that I don't have to cut the body if I go a little larger.

Congrats on your purchase.

Aluminum motor mount and aluminum bearing adapter.

If you want larger tires/wheels, you can always raise the body instead of cutting it...

Have fun!

Edit:
    A good set to tools and an IR Temp Gun is essential!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-17-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Everything Squeegie said... plus maybe some GTR shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item235921d038

For larger wheels tires... anything that will fit a Stampede 4x4, will bolt right on to a Slash 4x4. As Squeegie said, you just have to raise the body 1/2".

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. Car runs great. The only thing I'm disappointed in is the charger I bought. For some reason just before it hits 4.2 volts on each cell of my 2s lipo, the amp/charge rate slows down tremendously and takes forever to finish the charge. I bought this one and in the review section someone complained about the exact same thing that happened to me. Do all chargers do this? I'm thinking about returning it and buying something else.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-X1-T.../dp/B00BM4Q4IA

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My old one did that.. so I sold it and got a new one. Same thing. It would charge right up to like 4.18...4.19 and then it would sit there and fiddle around for like 1.5 hours trying to balance. Very annoying.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    My old one did that.. so I sold it and got a new one. Same thing. It would charge right up to like 4.18...4.19 and then it would sit there and fiddle around for like 1.5 hours trying to balance. Very annoying.
    Did you find one that you like that didn't do this nonsense? I would like one with similar options. Storage mode would be nice to have as well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo View Post
    Did you find one that you like that didn't do this nonsense? I would like one with similar options. Storage mode would be nice to have as well.
    Yes. My new one is great... but unfortunately it's out of stock right now. PM my your email address and I'll email you the link. Maybe it'll be back in stock soon.

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 chargers that I use constantly, the onyx 245 and the Hyperion eoso606i. Both have been around a while and are reasonable to purchase.

RC Qualifier
    So my 4wd Slash OBA/TSM/LCG arrived today and I was wondering what you guys consider the best upgrades, besides the battery? (My SPC Lipo 2s is arriving tomorrow)

I kinda wish the rims and tires were a little larger. Any recommendations on that? I'm hoping that I don't have to cut the body if I go a little larger.
    Do you like the OBA? Do you think it's something you'll use after the novelty has warn off? I'm considering the same truck. I'm debating between yours and an Ultimate with LiPo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    Do you like the OBA? Do you think it's something you'll use after the novelty has warn off? I'm considering the same truck. I'm debating between yours and an Ultimate with LiPo.
    If you do end up getting the LiPo one. I highly recommend NOT running that 3s that comes with it until you are 100% comfortable with the truck and have done a bunch of upgrades. 3s LiPo in a bone stock truck = breakage every 5 minutes. I'm not sure why they even sell a package with a battery that can literally tear the truck apart???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    If you do end up getting the LiPo one. I highly recommend NOT running that 3s that comes with it until you are 100% comfortable with the truck and have done a bunch of upgrades. 3s LiPo in a bone stock truck = breakage every 5 minutes. I'm not sure why they even sell a package with a battery that can literally tear the truck apart???
    It now comes with the 2S Lipo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It now comes with the 2S Lipo
    Ohh. Good. Probably too many warranty returns. LOL

RC Racer
    I think the OBA is pretty cool. It actually sounds realistic which is a plus. A couple of my friends who run nitro were actually pleasantly surprised when they heard it. It's definitely gimmicky but you can also turn it off which is a plus.

In regard to the 3s Lipo, I would hold off at first like the other guys are telling you. My boss bought the Slash at the same time I did and he bought a 3s Lipo. It's definitely quicker then my 2s Lipo but he also broke parts on 3 separate runs already because he drives like a maniac. 3s is a bit overkill if you ask me, but I'm sure I'll buy one down the road once I get more comfortable with the truck.

RC Qualifier
    I think the OBA is pretty cool. It actually sounds realistic which is a plus. A couple of my friends who run nitro were actually pleasantly surprised when they heard it. It's definitely gimmicky but you can also turn it off which is a plus.

In regard to the 3s Lipo, I would hold off at first like the other guys are telling you. My boss bought the Slash at the same time I did and he bought a 3s Lipo. It's definitely quicker then my 2s Lipo but he also broke parts on 3 separate runs already because he drives like a maniac. 3s is a bit overkill if you ask me, but I'm sure I'll buy one down the road once I get more comfortable with the truck.
    Thanks, I just ordered the same truck as you, Slash 4x4 TSM, OBA from the local hobby shop. I'm sticking with the NiMH batteries for now until I get used to driving it. I'll order a couple of 2S & a charger soon.

RC Racer
    I bought a Slash Ultimate about a week ago, the NiMH battery and charger it came with is terrible. Can't wait to get my new charger and Lipo batteries this week.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    oh yeah, do you have a good set of tools? MIP hex wrench set is a good investment. aluminum motor mount (traxxas makes one, no problem with theirs. you can try kingzhead) aluminum bearing adapter. I would skip NIMH, skip to Lipos. SPC lipos are great according to forum meambers, I use gens ace and team corally. and a good lipo charger. and a lipo bag.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Racer
    Does the Ultimate come with aluminum motor mount or no?

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    Quote Originally Posted by VisitorQ View Post
    Does the Ultimate come with aluminum motor mount or no?
    good question and the answer is no. atleast judging from google pictures. just grab your truck. look at the motor. by the motor you have this blue thick thing connected to it. that is the motor plate. beside/behind the plate, a blue anodized thing should be there (if you have the traxxas aluminum motor mount), if its black then its just the plastic one.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Racer
    Do you have a link to the aluminum one?

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZUpfEngec
    Last edited by VisitorQ; 09-22-2015 at 01:36 PM.