Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Michaelsjo's STRC chassi Backslash

I've always liked all the Backslashes here on the forum so I decided to try to make one. I never got around to finish my "regular" Slash so I'm using the parts from that project

All the parts arrived safe and sound. I've opted for a blue STRC bellcrank as I'm trying to stay in my gun-metal-and-blue theme.

Perfect tolerances all around and everything fits without the slightest problem. Note that a HotRacing slipper (the steel spur thingy with the large blue plate) doesn't fit - the slipper construction rubs against both bottom plate and top plate. I suppose I want a center diff anyway so I got one of those instead. Note that the spur has lots of play (forward and back) so I followed STRC's own tip and added two trusty old 1985:s on the small stub of the center diff that goes in to the rear diff. My shiny new Alturn servo was a bit too tall and the horn didn't stay in the bottom plate indent. I flipped the servo mounts, moving the servo aft a few millimeters, to solve that.

I started with some ProLine ProTrac arms but reverted to stock since my drive shafts (axles?) extend beyond what I deem suitable.

I'm using the wing mount from a HPI Trophy. Initially I mounted it partly on top pf the rear shock tower (the holes lines up exactly with the body mount holes so there are many ways of getting this wing mount to sit well on a Slash), but I want a lower wing so I took it apart and screwed it tight with the rear differential case screws (top). I then used screws and shims that I forced in the low corners of the openings in the STRC shock tower. This will put the wing mounts a little too close to each other, but with a little force I could put the thing back together with the somewhat wider top parts. It looks very clean and it's very tight - it will definitely survive many crashes. I'll be using a JConcepts 1/8 Finisher wing but I didn't have M4 screws short enough to work (the wing will need something like 6mm or 8mm screws and all my Summit screws are longer). More pics in later posts.

I'm planning on using a forward cab JConcepts body for Tekno EB48 (still in mail). I'll use one of my Summit receiver boxes that has an integrated antenna mount. I bent the tube using the lighter trick.

More pics will come. I'll be stuck with my VXL system for a while but I'm confident that it will be powerful enough to handle the extra weight anyway (like Matts wrote in another thread). I'm also waiting for some actual Ofna shock standoffs as well as some shorter Ofna shock ends to eliminate some of my home-depot-style solutions and for a somewhat lower stance.

As for body mounts, I'm sure the rather clean top plate will allow a very tight and low body with very few (if any) McGyver solutions. More on that in later posts.

So, first reactions to the STRC chassis? Absolutely great! But if I could wish for one thing it would be a neat option to use velcro battery straps instead of the carbon plate they've included.

And as always with my posts - sorry about the poor photography.
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

Keep it up and us posted!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

So the backslash craze continues.
    In the words of the wisdom filled Squeegie "Keep it up and us posted".
    I like the pictures.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier

Thumbs up

Looks like a very nice build! Keep up the good work!
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC Qualifier
    Man. I'm about to jump on the backslash train myself with my Rally. I'm loving reading all these backslash threads, and yours is no different. Keep up the good work!
    1/10 ERBE & Rally
    1/16 MERV, KB Fiesta & Rally

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    looking good already! I noticed you 'love' integy by looking at your trail slash build and stuff, why is that?
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I think it looks AWESOME! I love strc stuff. That is a bad *ss looking roller.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone

Jelle, it's not that I love Integy per se. I think their alloy is quite soft and that fitment sometines can be a little iffy. I would definitely buy Traxxas, HR, GPM and STRC over Integy. My Slash Trail Thingy doesn't have much (if any) Integy stuff but my Summit does. Integy is the only company still making new stuff for the Summit so there's not much to choose from if you, like me, love "upgrading". That said, if we just look at design and not durability, I definitely like how Integy has designed their newest Summit items. So I will continue buying Integy parts that aren't subject to heavy abuse (gear covers, bling elements etc) while avoiding their other stuff (with exceptions, I must add). I absolutely understand that some of my trucks, in the eyes of this forum, appears to grow into shelf queens but I bash all of them and I have yet to break one single alloy item (not entirely true, but it's true about alloy items I've shown on this forum). All in all, I admit that I'm an RC poser. If I find an alloy item that looks cool I will buy it. If and when it breaks, I'll replace it with whatever I deem a better (or better looking) part. This isn't science to me, it's just vanity.

This car will have at least one Integy item - a protector cap for the back end of the VXL can, replacing the plastic one with a blue alloy one matching the theme of the car. Necessary? Absolutely not. Good looks? IMHO yes

Looking good....
    Soon there will be a backslash race category....
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Just to show what I'm talking about in post #8 above

RC Qualifier
    Body arrived! I cut it to fit immediately. I will drill holes in the chassis top carbon plate to hold some very short body posts. I'll post the end results as soon as I get there

RC Qualifier
    I drilled the top plate as planned and fastened two of the (very) short posts from the Traxxas 1914r kit. This makes everything as tight as possible and with a drop-in fit.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks to this forum I'm now back on ProTrac arms. The width, IMHO, looks way better. That said, I have no idea of how well looks and performance works together in this case...

The parts needed to make the Traxxas steel CVD:s longer is 4x TRX6752 (longer male shafts from the 2WD Rustler).

RC Qualifier
    Finished!!! I must say I absolutely love how my buggy turned out! I'm crazy about my Backslash! Below you'll find a set of photos. I ended up with Badlands on discs (pre mounted). I had originally been looking at small-tread tires (even carpet style ones) because I think they look so cool, but where I drive I would have slicks in a minute. I also ended up moving the wing backwards by shimming the mount where it connects to the rear shock tower. I simply wanted the "cut outs" in the wing to perfectly match the wheels when suspension is fully compressed (I guess that's the idea anyway).

All in all, this has been a fantastic build. Everything fits, works and looks great. I would have to cut away a little more from the body to make room for the motor fan but I don't want to do that until I'm sure what motor I will end up with (if not stock). The Tekno EB48 buggy body fiths my Slash perfectly, and I can confirm that the body will NOT fit the stock LCG chassis.

I still want to do small fixes - I would like Traxxas C-hubs, and as soon as I have them, I would also like some hinge pins that goes all the way through (STRC's maybe). I would like to do some research about motors to find if there are stronger ones that will fit. The STRC chassis doesn't allow 1/8 size cans, so I'd like to know what other options are available. The new motor can be longer than stock, but not thicker (must be same-ish cylinder diameter as stock). I don't have any means of weighing the buggy, but it's a little heavier than stock. However, it's completely rigid. I tried using some Ofna 1/8 shocks, but there was no way I could get the droop/ride-height/travel setting I wanted. The GTR:s did a much better job. I have the Losi spring set but I got the best allround setting with the stock springs

Job well done... Very nice!

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    bruv, love the body, and the chassis!!! I dunno why, but that chassis just looks awesome! I also love the quality of the pics, they just look good.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

That is looking sweet, I Wonder how much bigger are your wheels compared to the lock up 1/8 buggy duratrax ones I have, funny thing is the threads of the lock up and badlands are very simmilar and handle almost the same I would say as i have them alos on the erevo, the badlands I have on SC wheels have not yet seen dirt...

As I mentioned earlier soon, we wil have aa backslah category race....I love mine as well, tried a small run with my body over the wknd before against a losieight and wow, tail to tail....he was veru surprised how it performs alogside a already race breed truck...unfortuantely on a 6s test run, I lost some C hub screws...and realised I have no more spares...
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Looks great!
    "Splash" ProLine Slash
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I like the eb48 body I have an EB48SL and an EB48.2 the .2 I recognized the body right away. Very nice build!
    slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsjo View Post
    Car came out awesome, nice work!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!

Does anyone know what would be a good motor/ESC for this car? I like the VXL very much, but I suppose there are even stronger systems out there that can bring extra punch to this buggy. Note that the can can't be thicker than the VXL - only longer. I have no idea what to look for

This guy stuck in a HobbiKing XK3665. They come in a few different kV and are the same diameter as the Velineon, just longer and more powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81IHyJ8TKAQ

RC Qualifier
    Thanks RazorRC22 - I'll definitely check them out!

RC Qualifier
    What about this one?

Aaaahhh... the company that sounds like (but with a Y) is banned?

Yes, that company is not allowed to be discussed on these forums due to questionable business practices.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-09-2015 at 08:35 AM.

The Velineon system is actually pretty darn good. I wish the motors were sensored, but otherwise I find them reliable, plenty of power, runs cool, good stuff. They're not crazy fast, but even as is they're too fast for newbs, so they hit the sweet spot pretty well.

RC Qualifier
    I completely agree! I'll see what happens on 3S and go from there. But I would have enjoyed the option of a, say, 1/8 motor with a 36 mm can but I suppose that's one of the base differences between 1/10 and 1/8 in the first place.

Your backslash looks awesome.

You also may have a look of castle creations ranges

The mmp with a 3800 or if you want to go extreme then with the 2400 motor or the El Sob special as we like to call it for the traxxws version.

If you are a speedster or basher then you could even think of the mm2, sv8 or other 1/8 system of your choice.
    Live life to the fullest

AWESOME build! you have done an excellent pictorial thread here. I am in the planning stages to build one myself.
    Thanks for sharing.
    A detailed list of parts would be great!
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 10-11-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm... I'm not sure if I can remember everything, but here goes:

Traxxas
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    XO-1 diffs
    17 mm hex kit
    Sway bar kit
    Sawed-off rear sway bar mount from a Stampede 4x4 wheelie bar
    Steel axle kit (with longer male axles coming, normally intended for the 2wd platform)
    Body posts from TRX1914r (the smallest ones)
    Summit receiver box with alloy nut
    Some 1985:s here and there
    Stampede 4x4 front bumper (only the small part that holds the hinge pins and kinda looks like a buggy bumper)
    GTR shocks (the best shocks I've ever used, by the way)

STRC
    Chassis kit
    Front and rear shock tower
    Bell crank

ProLine
    Badlands on discs (for 1/8)
    ProTrac arms with the included turnbuckles

JC Concepts
    Tekno EB48 body (Finnisher)
    Finnisher wing (1/8)

GPM
    Front and rear carriers and C:s

Integy
    End cap for VXL can

HotRacing
    Motor cooling fan

HPI
    HPI 1/8 Trophy Buggy Flux wing mount

Alturn
    Alturn Servo HS/TG (24.8kg/0.07s)

LHS
    Lots of screws and other bits to get a new, freash start
    Thread lock

Future parts
    If needed - a new motor and ESC
    Tekno center drive shaft
    I'll try to fit some TRX5464 shock boots and report

RC Qualifier
    YAY! I ordered the Jato shock boot kits (#5464) for my GTR:s. I knew the boots themselves were short and would only fit the front shocks, but I had a hunch that my Ofna shock boots would fit. They do! The bottom caps from the Jato kit has a slightly smaller "groove" for the boots to latch on to compared to the Ofna ones, but with a little work they snugly grab hold

RC Qualifier
    I received the longer 2WD splines (#6752) for the Traxxas steel drive axles yesterday and the difference in length (compared to stock) is just about the same as the extra width given from the ProTrac arms. Perfect!!

Looks great so far. Hope it all works out for you.

By the way, have you decided on a motor/ESC combo yet?

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I have ordered a Kershaw motor and will likely pair it with a HW 120A (following a tip in another thread)

RC Competitor
    What is the servo in your truck? Alturn but what model?

RC Qualifier
    I don't have it in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's this specific one:

http://alturn-usa.com/products/AHBS-2407HTG+HV.htm

By the way - bought my HW Ezrun WP SC8 120A yesterday

RC Qualifier
    Everything is coming together again. The new diff cup (along with Robinson pinion and spur) as well as the Tekno shaft fits nicely

The long can of the Kershaw motor wouldn't fit without removing the rear-most post for the upper plate. This plate is still secured in several other places so I don't worry. The ESC juuuuuuuust fit under the top plate. A taller ESC (even by a fraction) and it wouldn't work with this chassi.

Very clean install! Let us know what you think once you've given it a few runs!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build how wide is the stance with protrac and 1/8 scale tires? I was considering the kit for my backslash but I plan on racing mine and need to keep within the allowed width.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast