RC Racer

nimh in paralell?

sorry if i am asking something that has been asked already. Can you run nimh in parallel?
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Yes but like with any parallel battery connection there are two things to be aware of. One the two batteries have to have the same cell count / voltage, two the charge level (voltage) of the two batteries has to be the same when connecting them together otherwise a large current flows between the batteries until the voltage equalized.

RC Racer
    sorry i am fairly new to the hobby, so i could not use a series 3 3300mah with a series 4 4200 mah correct? they are both 7 cell nimh from traxxas
    Last edited by JP24RC; 09-25-2015 at 10:02 AM.
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Quote Originally Posted by JP24RC View Post
    sorry i am fairly new to the hobby, so i could not use a series 3 3300mah with a series 4 4200 mah correct? they are both 7 cell nimh from traxxas
    Yes you can. They dont have to be the same capacity.

RC Racer
    awesome thank you very much guys, this forum is great so many helpful people. especially for someone new to the hobby thanks again guys
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Why would you want to do this and in which vehicle?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    well i only have those 2 batteries for now, dont have money to buy lipo's/charger. and its for my sla2h brushed version.
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Sorry I read series instead of parallel. No you cant run different capacities in parallel.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-25-2015 at 11:06 AM.

RC Racer
    ok lol thanks good to know
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Quote Originally Posted by JP24RC View Post
    ok lol thanks good to know
    Dude I am not quite sure about that. I never ran different capacities in parallel. Maybe it will be ok.

Sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-25-2015 at 11:17 AM.

RC Racer
    well time for my old friend google to help lol, just thought i would ask here first, lots of knowledgeable people here
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Parallel connected packs need to be of the same voltage and really should be of similar capacity, i.e. not 4200mAh and 1200mAh run together. However...

There's no way I would want to run two packs in parallel in a 1:10 Slash.
    None of the various parts or systems will thank you for adding that much unnecessary weight.
    Changing the batteries out one at a time is a much better procedure.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-25-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    ok thanks that is what i will do then was just curios
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Hold the horses here

You can run different capacity batteries in a parallel connection but Voltage/cell count has to be the same on the two batteries ( from what I understand that's what you are trying to do). The capacity of the two batteries just add up so your 3300 + 4400 will give you a total of 7700 mAh for longer run time. Also discharge rate will add up between the two batteries.

You should not run different capacity batteries in a Serial type connection since the lower capacity one will discharge faster than the higher capacity one. Not so critical for NiMH since they are not so sensitive to low voltage as LiPo but the lower capacity one still could overheat if pushed hard which permanently damages the battery. A serial connection can be done with different voltages and the two voltages will add up.
    Last edited by Panamon Creel; 09-25-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
    Hold the horses here

You can run different capacity batteries in a parallel connection but Voltage/cell count has to be the same on the two batteries ( from what I understand that's what you are trying to do). The capacity of the two batteries just add up so your 3300 + 4400 will give you a total of 7700 mAh for longer run time. Also discharge rate will add up between the two batteries.

You should not run different capacity batteries in a Serial type connection since the lower capacity one will discharge faster than the higher capacity one. Not so critical for NiMH since they are not so sensitive to low voltage as LiPo but the lower capacity one still could overheat if pushed hard which permanently damages the battery. A serial connection can be done with different voltages and the two voltages will add up.
    Thanks dude for clearing things up. I was mixing things up

RC Racer
    well they are both the 8.4v traxxas batteries and both 7 cell
    Battery, Series 4 Power Cell, 4200mAh (NiMH, 7-C flat, 8.4V) not id connector as far as i know (thats how i bought it new)lol had to send it to traxxas after a single use had bad cells. just waiting to get it back now should be here next week i hope.
    Battery, Series 3 Power Cell, 3300mAh (NiMH, 7-C flat, 8.4V)- the stock battery
    also i run in cooler conditions as i live up here in Canada lol recently the motor is barely warm after a full run same with the esc.
    hopefully this helps a little more
    Last edited by JP24RC; 09-25-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

RC Racer
    so it is OK to run the 2 batteries i have in parallel if i want to? and wont wreck anything? just want to make sure before i do, like i said before i'm new to this kinda thing lol.
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

Yes you can run them in parallel but, as said previously, make sure the two batteries are at the same charge level / voltage when you connect them to the parallel Y connector.

RC Racer
    Thank you very much again for making it clear for me lol im such a noob
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv