RC Qualifier

Can't steer. What am I missing.

So, I cannot steer to the right while my emaxx is on the ground. I have Savox sw 0231 x2. Even using BEC to power them. Had done a run with the stock servo horns and those got chewed up, as expected. Went last night and got aluminum servo horns from the LHS and this thing will not turn right. Turns to the left no problem. I must be doing something wrong.

Linkage. Standard set up. I do have aftermarket aluminium servosaver and all that....

Maxed to the left

To the right

Left on the ground

Right on the ground.

Note: It is the same in the grass. It will slightly turn while I am moving. I know these servos have enough torque to turn the wheels. What am I doing wrong?

RC Champion
    Is the saver compressing the spring? With two servos that thing should be slapping those wheels and forth.

Also check the pillow balls and the tie rod ends.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    Is the saver compressing the spring? With two servos that thing should be slapping those wheels and forth.

Also check the pillow balls and the tie rod ends.
    Not sure what that means. I have a video, but will have to wait until tonight to upload because of my crappy internet. When, I put it on the ground, the servos are turning just fine, but the wheels still do not turn. It is really weird.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Selluminis View Post
    Not sure what that means. I have a video, but will have to wait until tonight to upload because of my crappy internet. When, I put it on the ground, the servos are turning just fine, but the wheels still do not turn. It is really weird.
    Servo turns just fine but the wheels don't move?

Stripped servo gear???
    I'm just trying to increase my post count.

RC Champion
    It sounds like the servo saver is not transferring the movement through to the wheels.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like the servo saver is not transferring the movement through to the wheels.
    Ok, I think you are on to something here. How do I check or fix that?

RC Champion
    If it's adjustable tighten the spring up. If not, then you will have to shim it. Mine is stock and shimmed.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Competitor
    I had a similar problem. Essentially, a pebble got trapped under the skid plate and was interfering with the likage. The servos would move in both directions but the wheels would only turn fully in one direction while on the ground. When I flipped it over to examine the situation, the wheels would turn fully in both direction - the pebble moved just enough to allow for proper movement. Once I started to remove the skid plate, the pebble fell free. So, in short, grab a hex wrench and remove the front skid plate...

Also, personally, I would not use aluminum servo horns. The horns are easy enough to replace and the plastic horns will help preserve your servos.
    Proud member of the red card club.

RC Qualifier
    If it's adjustable tighten the spring up. If not, then you will have to shim it. Mine is stock and shimmed.
    I will have to look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
    I had a similar problem. Essentially, a pebble got trapped under the skid plate and was interfering with the likage. The servos would move in both directions but the wheels would only turn fully in one direction while on the ground. When I flipped it over to examine the situation, the wheels would turn fully in both direction - the pebble moved just enough to allow for proper movement. Once I started to remove the skid plate, the pebble fell free. So, in short, grab a hex wrench and remove the front skid plate...

Also, personally, I would not use aluminum servo horns. The horns are easy enough to replace and the plastic horns will help preserve your servos.
    I actually had all that apart before this post. I though my issue was rounded out horns, so I replaced them with aluminium ones. Had the whole skid plate apart then.

Looks like the issue is with the servo saver assembly. Going to have to mess with it.

RC Qualifier
    I had a similar issue with a tmaxx a while back, the problem ended up being in the receiver on the truck. I replaced it on a shot in the dark as I went thru and replaced the servo, lubricated all the steering components and that did not fix it. To rule out the receiver, try moving the steering over to another channel is possible and see if you get full movement.

RC Qualifier
    Still have some trouble shooting to do, but here is the video.

You will see a blue spacer on top of the servo server spring. Tighten it down to put more pressure onto the spring.
    My RC Cycle:
    Build it, Drive it, Brake it.

RC Champion
    definitely a loose servo saver. tighten it up and that should help.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ausprime View Post
    You will see a blue spacer on top of the servo server spring. Tighten it down to put more pressure onto the spring.
    definitely a loose servo saver. tighten it up and that should help.
    Ok, servo saver is deff the issue. Thanks. I still have one question, it still does not turn as far right as left. The wheels do not turn nearly as far. Is this inherent with emaxx or is there something else I can adjust? Seems like that small tie rod that hooks the servo saver to the seeing servo might be adjustable, but not sure...

It would still be the servo saver.
    It will engage while turning in one direction, but wont engage in the other direction.
    You could try a dual servo saver setup. or get a stiffer saver. But then you risk damaging the servo.
    My RC Cycle:

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Selluminis View Post
    Thanks. I still have one question, it still does not turn as far right as left. The wheels do not turn nearly as far. Is this inherent with emaxx or is there something else I can adjust?
    usually its the cause of using your "trim" function while setting your steering. ill explain it like this;
    think of a complete rotation of the servo right and left as 100 which is below, marked with 20"." for a complete cycle. a full turn right is 10 "." to the right of the center "|" and the ends are signified by the same icon.

|..........|..........|
    this would signify being perfectly dead center and track straight while driving, this never happens, i will call center 50.

now if the horns are installed at 40, (slightly left)
    |........|............|
    (which is left of true center) and you set your servo trim to make it track straight, then your CENTER for the controller and the servo will be set at 40. that will give you 80% of your turning radius for turning left. and 120% of the true radius turning right. there for it will turn sharper right then left.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 10-10-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

Very good point austin!
    So i went back and watch the video again, with the wheels of the ground. The trim and the end points look the same.
    If the end points are out, it doesn't look like it in the video.
    If anything, the left front wheel looks like it has a little to much toe-out.
    Last edited by ausprime; 10-11-2015 at 08:17 AM.
    My RC Cycle:

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    usually its the cause of using your "trim" function while setting your steering. ill explain it like this;
    think of a complete rotation of the servo right and left as 100 which is below, marked with 20"." for a complete cycle. a full turn right is 10 "." to the right of the center "|" and the ends are signified by the same icon.

|..........|..........|
    this would signify being perfectly dead center and track straight while driving, this never happens, i will call center 50.

now if the horns are installed at 40, (slightly left)
    |........|............|
    (which is left of true center) and you set your servo trim to make it track straight, then your CENTER for the controller and the servo will be set at 40. that will give you 80% of your turning radius for turning left. and 120% of the true radius turning right. there for it will turn sharper right then left.
    Quote Originally Posted by ausprime View Post
    Very good point austin!
    So i went back and watch the video again, with the wheels of the ground. The trim and the end points look the same.
    If the end points are out, it doesn't look like it in the video.
    If anything, the left front wheel looks like it has a little to much toe-out.
    Awesome guys! Was thinking about it and I did not zero out the trim on the transmitter when I installed the horns. I will do that. Make all the adjustments. Will also check out the toe on the front left too.