Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12

    Battery run time

    Hi, how long will a Stampede 4x4 (brushed) battery last? The battery is Traxxas 2961X 5000mAh 8.4V Hump NiMH ID. I mostly run on flat woods and grass. It is all mostly flat but there is some hills. So if you know how long it will last, thank you!

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,361
    Probably around 15 to 20 minutes.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12
    Thank you. I hear people say they get an HOUR of run time and I don't know what batteries, I need help so if you know, please tell me what you recommend a good battery to use.

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brossard, QC
    Posts
    1,211
    With a 10000mah lipo... You'd get a pretty long runtime.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4
    Is that 10000 mah battery a lipo or what? And is that a 2s or 3s

  6. #6
    RC Racer C0BRAX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee93 View Post
    Is that 10000 mah battery a lipo or what? And is that a 2s or 3s
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    With a 10000mah lipo... You'd get a pretty long runtime.

    Note the bold underlined part. Chances are 3s but I'm sure there are some 2s that have capacities that high. I've seen 8000 mAh 2s batteries.
    Happy Motoring!

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brossard, QC
    Posts
    1,211
    Top of my head, SMC makes a 9000mah 2s.

    Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Hi,
    I know this is an old thread and I kind of know the answer to my own question but wanted to put it out there.

    I've got a standard 4x4 Stampede. And was running a standard 2941X Battery, Series 3 Power Cell, 3300mAh (NiMH, 7-C hump, 8.4V). Recently bought myself 2961X Battery, Series 5 Power Cell, 5000mAh (NiMH, 7-C hump, 8.4V).

    Truck was running with the 2941x 3300mAh battery first for approx 20 mins, then switched to 2961x battery (first time use) for approx another 20 mins in training mode, when it lost steering and gave me a flashing light on the XL-5 ESC. Couldn't turn of the ESC and a little while later lights went off and can't turn on the ESC anymore.

    Might be a coincidence, but is there 'any' reason why the higher amp battery might have overheated my ESC? As long as I stay in the same 8.4 voltage, there shouldn't be any issues right?

    Having a hard time believing the extra run time of running 2 batteries after each other would be enought to fry the ESC.

    All thoughts and ideas much appreciated.
    Grts

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    327
    It's not the battery or the runtime I think. My XL2.5 does the same thing, when it goes into LVC, for some weird reason it won't turn off via the button like normal. I have to unplug it. But when I then plug in a fresh battery, it operates normally. No idea why it does this, but it sounds familiar to what you are experiencing.

    I think training mode on the brushed ESC may make it overheat. I run my mini summit (brushed with XL2.5) around as FPV, and so I spend a lot of time going super slow, and it gets so freaking hot. Esc, but motor too. I think the XL series ESCs are just not great at efficiency, and thus produce a ton of heat at low speeds. So training mode may make your XL5 run extra hot. I don't know if you roasted yours, but it doesn't sound like what mine does when it goes into thermal shutdown.

    The batteries are essentially the same. I suppose the 5000mah battery would be a bit more powerful, but not so much more that it would cause your ESC to melt down. In the world of lipos though, the capacity does make a big difference in the battery's power supplying capabilities, but for Nimh, I would think the power levels are so much lower that one shouldn't work fine and the other cause a meltdown.

    Check your ESC and motor temps regularly though, and gear down if you need to. That can cause melted down electronics, as can binding in the drivetrain.

    -Mike

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    It's not the battery or the runtime I think. My XL2.5 does the same thing, when it goes into LVC, for some weird reason it won't turn off via the button like normal. I have to unplug it. But when I then plug in a fresh battery, it operates normally. No idea why it does this, but it sounds familiar to what you are experiencing.

    I think training mode on the brushed ESC may make it overheat. I run my mini summit (brushed with XL2.5) around as FPV, and so I spend a lot of time going super slow, and it gets so freaking hot. Esc, but motor too. I think the XL series ESCs are just not great at efficiency, and thus produce a ton of heat at low speeds. So training mode may make your XL5 run extra hot. I don't know if you roasted yours, but it doesn't sound like what mine does when it goes into thermal shutdown.

    The batteries are essentially the same. I suppose the 5000mah battery would be a bit more powerful, but not so much more that it would cause your ESC to melt down. In the world of lipos though, the capacity does make a big difference in the battery's power supplying capabilities, but for Nimh, I would think the power levels are so much lower that one shouldn't work fine and the other cause a meltdown.

    Check your ESC and motor temps regularly though, and gear down if you need to. That can cause melted down electronics, as can binding in the drivetrain.

    -Mike

    Thanks Mike, appreciate the comments. That's some good advice - hadn't thought about the impact of slow speeds on ESC temp.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    327
    Yeah it's a bummer. I think it's just poor design or not designed for training mode and/or what I am trying to do with mine. I think say for example, a crawling brushed ESC would do really well at low throttle positions, and probably has better components that are built to handle chopping down the battery voltage the whole drive.

    Where as the XL series traxxas escs are probably designed for the nutcase driver who just wants to go full throttle everywhere. Which means all it has to do is just feed 100% of the battery voltage to the motor, without burning off any of the extra voltage as heat.

    I'm in the same boat as you, and I don't want to spend the cash, so I may just gear my vehicle wayyyyyy down, maybe get a cheap higher turn motor too. Glad I could help.

    -Mike

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •