RC Qualifier

New to LiPo - a few questions

I have four Traxxas 5800 2s Lipo and two Dual EZ Peak chargers.
    These are used in a Slash 4x4 TSM OBA and a Stampede 4x4 XL5. Everything is new.
    I have a few questions:

1. How long will a battery stay fully charged unused?
    2. Is it best to "top off" the battery if it was charged more than 24 hours ago, what about 48 hours ago?
    3. When should Storage charge be used?
    4. How important is a LiPo charging bag?
    5. What conditions could cause a fire?

Here is a nice read up you could do.
    http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

1. Read the instructiosn that came with the battery.
    2. Charge them always balanced at the recommended rate and depending on your battery volume, 5000Mah or lower etc or higher and cahrge rate 1c or 2c, recommendation is to charge always at 1c
    3. Balanced , well charge battery will always be good for its life span and safety.
    4. The bag aor a metal tool is a great precaustion should the unexpected happen, I have had lipos for over two years without issues.
    5. If you do not intend to use you car as often as some of us do, then the storage voltage rate is necessary.

Fires could be because the Lipos where not charge, discharged or used properly....puffed etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    I just want add that 24-48hours charged on a shelf is not going to kill a battery, but if you drive only on the weekend for instance, use the storage option for until you drive again.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jezza and IllusionX. I found the instructions under the front label of the battery. It all makes sense now.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Here is a nice read up you could do.
    http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

1. Read the instructiosn that came with the battery.
    2. Charge them always balanced at the recommended rate and depending on your battery volume, 5000Mah or lower etc or higher and cahrge rate 1c or 2c, recommendation is to charge always at 1c
    3. Balanced , well charge battery will always be good for its life span and safety.
    4. The bag aor a metal tool is a great precaustion should the unexpected happen, I have had lipos for over two years without issues.
    5. If you do not intend to use you car as often as some of us do, then the storage voltage rate is necessary.

Fires could be because the Lipos where not charge, discharged or used properly....puffed etc.
    What does it mean a battery is "puffed"?

RC Champion
    When the battery is puffed, it looks like am obese battery.. And if you poke the puffed part, if will feel mushy, and not hard as it is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Electromen View Post
    What does it mean a battery is "puffed"?
    Expands, bloated like a blow fish....and as Illusionx mentions, it feels squishy, spongy
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Thank both of you,