RC Racer

4S Slash 4x4 Ultimate Traxxas telemetry GPS-module speedrun

Hello guys!

Not many people are talking about the traxxas GPS-module for the telemetry, but I am one of them who have one for my Slash 4x4 Ultimate I really like the telemetry stuff.

It is a Slash LCG #6809 model. And I have put a Mamba Max Pro SCT ecu and 2400kv motor in it. I run it on 3S most of the time, but also have a 4S 5000mAh 65C Lipo for max power. Use 18/50 as a general setup.

The car

I logged a speedrun with the Traxxas Link app on my phone using the GPS-module and 4S Lipo
    Still 18/50 gearing, stock Goodrich tires, stock Ultimate chassi, but with no body mounted

The results on 4S, 65mph/104km/h On 3S with same setup it does 45mph/72km/h
    This is a screenshot from the log-recording

Later on I want to try my 22t pinion and see if it does 70mph or maybe even more.

I donīt know why the app does not show top speed on the logfile, and on the realtime dashboard the speedo shows km/h like I want it to, but the top speed are showed in mph....?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-01-2015 at 07:09 AM.
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

RC Qualifier
    This is interesting, I run my slash with mm2 2200kv on 4s with 21/50. So if you get a speed run that'll be kool. I just bash mine and sometimes run 5s and talk about insane lol

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to buy the GPS and temperature sensor. I have the Slash 4x4 TSM OBA.
    Right now the WiFi link is not compatible with iPhone OS 9.0 like I have.
    I already bought the WiFi link, I'm waiting for Traxxas to fix the app.

RC Racer
    Does the Ultimate version come with any of this stuff? I get MPH, RPM, TEMP & VOLTS when I link my Slash to my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by VisitorQ View Post
    Does the Ultimate version come with any of this stuff? I get MPH, RPM, TEMP & VOLTS when I link my Slash to my phone.
    I thought the Ultimate came with all the telemetry.
    I'd wait for someone else to confirm that but I'm fairly sure.
    The temp and battery voltage would be nice, the speed has been said to be off quite a bit.

Heres a good way to get an idea of what your slash can do speed wise.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    I have the GPS with the telemetry expander. i have only the communication cable hooked up and running to the TSM communication port. Also the temperature wire around the motor plugged into expander. I an getting speed and rpm but not from gps from magnet setup and wire going to tsm to the rpm slot.
    My expander blinks green constantly and doesnt show temperature. Anyone Got ths smarts about these expanders and gps

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I thought the Ultimate came with all the telemetry.
    I'd wait for someone else to confirm that but I'm fairly sure.
    The temp and battery voltage would be nice, the speed has been said to be off quite a bit.
    I'm pretty sure it may, like I said I get all the read outs when I link it to my phone. I now know that the zip tie around my motor is holding a temp sensor and what about the wire going into the rear motor mount, is that a sensor for something as well?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm pretty sure it may, like I said I get all the read outs when I link it to my phone. I now know that the zip tie around my motor is holding a temp sensor and what about the wire going into the rear motor mount, is that a sensor for something as well?

The one going into the motor mount is your rpm/speed sensor. What the op is using is the optional gps modual.

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    The one going into the motor mount is your rpm/speed sensor. What the op is using is the optional gps modual.
    Yep. The one on the tie wrap around the motor is motor temp, the one going to the motor mount is rpm(speed is calculated based on rpm and all the other data you enter into the app) and the small red wire going up to your battery connector is batt voltage(obviously). Those sensors and the receiver are standard on the Ultimate. I like the telemetry as well, just be aware the speed calculation is only as accurate as the info you input and even then its questionable. You can add the GPS module and tell your app to use that as speed data and it will be correct no matter what mods you do to your truck. I personally just pay attention to temp and voltage...highly doubt I'll spend the $100 on a gps module.
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 09-30-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Ok... So what the OP is talking about is something I don't have but can add to my Slash that will give me a more accurate speed reading on the Traxxas App?

Ok... So what the OP is talking about is something I don't have but can add to my Slash that will give me a more accurate speed reading on the Traxxas App?
    You are correct.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t.../6551gpsmodule
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

To my knowledge the LCG Ultimate Edition has always been equipped with the telemetry. It is a great tool. I played around with the different tires and gear ratios until I found what matched the speed of my truck when I followed it in my car. It was very time consuming but we'll worth it.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    To my knowledge the LCG Ultimate Edition has always been equipped with the telemetry. It is a great tool. I played around with the different tires and gear ratios until I found what matched the speed of my truck when I followed it in my car. It was very time consuming but we'll worth it.
    You can for sure mess with it and get it close but the problem is all the selections are Traxxas items. So I could get close when my Slash was using the 3500 or the 2400 with the vxl-3s and the BFG S1 tires or the Talon 2.8s. But now if I use a HW SC8 and a Kershaw 2700 and Trenchers.....it's all out the window because I don't have those items to select in the model set-up. Sure i can get close but it would be great if Traxxas would allow us to enter custom info instead of choosing from existing items.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Werd.

I updated my Ultimate to TSM already, this could be next. Any pictures of this installed?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    You can for sure mess with it and get it close but the problem is all the selections are Traxxas items. So I could get close when my Slash was using the 3500 or the 2400 with the vxl-3s and the BFG S1 tires or the Talon 2.8s. But now if I use a HW SC8 and a Kershaw 2700 and Trenchers.....it's all out the window because I don't have those items to select in the model set-up. Sure i can get close but it would be great if Traxxas would allow us to enter custom info instead of choosing from existing items.
    You are correct. I had exact same problem. Running sw8 and grp tires I was never close. It was cheaper for me to get a garmin off ebay then the traxxas gps.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the response

Yes the Ultimate version comes with telemetry, but that is not with the expander and GPS-module. Stock it messures pulses on the spurgear to get motor rpm and calculated speed, and you also get motortemp and voltage, very useful, but the speed is not 100% correct even if you finetune the settings because the tires ballones when you go faster, so if you fintune the topspeed the lower speeds will not be correct or vice versa. With the GPS-module you always get the correct speed nomatter what (if you have GPS signal, otherwise it use the pulses from the spurgear)

I have put the telemetry expander in the front, and I also have a second temp-sensor that I have put on the ESC

Here is how my setup looks:
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisse977 View Post
    Thanks for the response

Yes the Ultimate version comes with telemetry, but that is not with the expander and GPS-module. Stock it messures pulses on the spurgear to get motor rpm and calculated speed, and you also get motortemp and voltage, very useful, but the speed is not 100% correct even if you finetune the settings because the tires ballones when you go faster, so if you fintune the topspeed the lower speeds will not be correct or vice versa. With the GPS-module you always get the correct speed nomatter what (if you have GPS signal, otherwise it use the pulses from the spurgear)

I have put the telemetry expander in the front, and I also have a second temp-sensor that I have put on the ESC

Here is how my setup looks:
    Looks Good! Is there any reason you didn't buy the mount for it? Would it install it in the same place you have your I wonder?

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t...Jato-6555-Over

RC Racer
    Thanks!

The plan was to make a bolt-on plastic mount, but until then I just taped it onto the chassi.
    The reason for not buying the Traxxas-mount is that it's bulky and is to be fitted in the back. And why would I do that when there is a perfect spot in the front!?
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisse977 View Post
    Thanks!

The plan was to make a bolt-on plastic mount, but until then I just taped it onto the chassi.
    The reason for not buying the Traxxas-mount is that it's bulky and is to be fitted in the back. And why would I do that when there is a perfect spot in the front!?
    What every works I guess. For me personally I would rather have the amount and for less than 10 bucks, it seems like a steal.

Buy the way RPM makea a nice esc mount too, used for the MMp and also the smaller sidewinders, I am not too sure if the SV8 would go in....

Infact I have one , but untill now I have not used it, as all my rigs have 1/8 systems.

Nice set up by the way, also some photography skills there
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    I'm still on the fence if I want or need this... I mean I don't need it but it is pretty cool. LOL!

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    dang son, you got it up to 104 kmh? I managed to get it up to 109 kmh once, try to beat me!
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Buy the way RPM makea a nice esc mount too, used for the MMp and also the smaller sidewinders, I am not too sure if the SV8 would go in....

Infact I have one , but untill now I have not used it, as all my rigs have 1/8 systems.

Nice set up by the way, also some photography skills there
    Thanks man!

Oh I did not know that RPM made esc mounts. Good info, but I like to fabricate my own stuff, then I get exactly what I want

I'm still on the fence if I want or need this... I mean I don't need it but it is pretty cool. LOL!
    Haha, of course you "need it"

Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post
    dang son, you got it up to 104 kmh? I managed to get it up to 109 kmh once, try to beat me!
    Yes I will Have just changed from 18t to 22t pinion. That should do the trick.
    I had a couple of broken ballbearings when I did the 104km/h run, now I am changing all the wheelbearings, hope that make it go even faster.
    Last edited by Nisse977; 10-01-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv

RC Qualifier
    haha! I love it. I love the challenge! Come beat me! good luck. nice rig though

70mph shouldn't be a problem on 4s with the 2400kv castle geared 22/50.
    Just watch the temps close, the 2400kv gets hot on 4s when you start to push it.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    yep, el sob got it to 79.9 mph or 80mph. maybe a dual hit sink fan would help even more with temps. how about 25/50 would that work.

RC Racer
    I have a dual heatsinkfan laying around But I have not installed it yet.. And I did not recive any information about where to take the power for it or how much voltage the fans are suppose to have. But I figure it is supposed to be connected to the receiver!?

To be honest, I do not normally use this car for speedruns, just bashing around on 3S But it is a bit interesting to know how fast it can go I do not have any bigger pinions than the 22t, and do not plan to buy any. So 22/50 is the tallest gearing I will try
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv

RC Racer
    I had a quick run this morning with the 22t, the new RPM hubs and new bearings. I have more toe-in in the rear now, but I donīt know if it matters much. So the chassi is pretty stock regarding wheel angels, ridehight and so on.
    Anyway, i got 121km/h on the log, thats 75,6mph. Pretty ok I think
    Did El Sob get 80mph with the same gearing, same tires?

Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv

Yes! I got consistent 79.9 mph on 4s geared 22/50! I strapped my GPS on the truck and she was good to go! I was not running the stock tires on those runs. I was running two different brands of tires. I ran Dynamite Robbers and Duratrax Bandito's. I ran 79.9 mph on my aluminum beadlock wheels! I believe that the extra weight helped keep it grounded. That and I didn't run a body.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    yes, I suppose it does help not using the stock body. the body will act like a parachute. to slow you down? lol. BAAAAA you beat me!!!!!! nice job man. next job, beat el sob. then go for 100mph!

RC Racer
    No body on my slash either It becomes airborn before 60mph if I do mount it..

Tires makes big difference on real cars and maybe wheel angels makes some difference? On RCs I donīt know

I have now put back the 18t pinion, I will see if it still does 65mph with that one, so the other stuff I did to it not made it slower (thinking about the toe in I got with the RPM parts in the rear) Otherwise I am happy as it is.
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv