Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Upgrading to Mamba monster 2200kv and ESC

Hello again everyone, I am upgrading and need to know if Im going to need anything else for this upgrade. Im getting the Mamba Monster 2, 2200kv motor and esc combo, Im also getting the MIP front and rear X-Duty CVD kit for my slash 4x4. Is there anything else thats necessary or you would recommend? Thanks in advance.

You must move the receiver box to the front of the vehicle. If you have LCG Slash 4x4 the stock receiver box bolts to the holes at the front of the chassis behind the shock tower. If you have the HCG chassis you need the receiver box from the Stampede 4x4 to mount at the front.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gLippa View Post
    Hello again everyone, I am upgrading and need to know if Im going to need anything else for this upgrade. Im getting the Mamba Monster 2, 2200kv motor and esc combo, Im also getting the MIP front and rear X-Duty CVD kit for my slash 4x4. Is there anything else thats necessary or you would recommend? Thanks in advance.
    Maybe aluminum motor mount with oversized bearing. But honestly I would just let it ride and upgrade as you break stuff..
    slash 4x4

If LCG chassis, get an aluminum motor mount and bearing adapter.
    After that, have fun and repair/replace/upgrade what breaks!

Pics of what MM2 w/ 2200kV looks like in a LCH chassis:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5953648

If you have the HCG chassis, ??? I don't have one and can't comment.

Good luck and keep us posted on your build!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    I have a complete stock slash 4x4(HCG). but thats it? A stampede 4x4 receiver box and an optional aluminum motor mount? I thought I've seen someone say on another post they'd need a mounting plate for the esc. Im preetty excited about ordering this new motor/esc combo but I know I should wait until I've heard from folks who have done this before, so I wont be waiting on a $2 part. I know I'll need a 5mm pinion, but other than that I'm not sure. Thanks to the folks who responded. Tireslinger, snowninja and Squeegie.

RC Champion
    You might want to upgrade your differentials with the I-bar that comes with the XO-1. I can get you pictures/part numbers in the morning if you're curious but it definitely adds strength to the stock diffs.

RC Competitor
    Yea, if its adding strength I'm definitely interested. Right now I only have one 3s battery, but the main reason Im upgrading to the 2200kv is because Im tired of having to let the motor/esc cool off, never had a thermal shutdown.. ever. I just want to be able to run at high speeds and not have to check the temps every 5 minutes. Living in texas where its usually 105+, nothing gets a chance to cool off outdoors.

Get the MIP X-Duty CVD's and the X0-1 diffs.
    To be safe, you should always have a good set of tools and an IR Temp Gun.

RC Champion
    The differential gear set you'll want is Traxxas 6882x, although you probably only need the I-bar included in it: http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-6882X-...keywords=6882x

Here is a good thread on it. Post #40 has pictures showing the difference:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...erential-I-bar

EDIT: Just curious if you've considered getting the Sidewinder 8th combo? Last I checked it comes with the 2200kv motor and is cheaper than pairing the 2200kv with the MM2.

RC Competitor
    So I'd also need two new differentials from the XO as well? Im pretty new to this, done some tinkering with it, but it is my first rc car. I've got good tools, getting the CVD kit, and Im getting the MM2 because its overkill and just want something thats not going to overheat or even get close to overheating.

RC Champion
    The only thing you would need to upgrade your differentials is the I-bar that comes in that TRX 6882x kit. While you're at it, you might want to inspect the rest of the gears to see if anything else needs replaced but really that I-bar is all you need if everything else is in good shape. Personally, I really hate having to tear into the differentials so whatever I can do to make them bulletproof is worth it to me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the MM2 so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I recently got the SW8 ESC because it was cheaper and an 8th scale ESC and I've had no problems.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    The only thing you would need to upgrade your differentials is the I-bar that comes in that TRX 6882x kit. While you're at it, you might want to inspect the rest of the gears to see if anything else needs replaced but really that I-bar is all you need if everything else is in good shape. Personally, I really hate having to tear into the differentials so whatever I can do to make them bulletproof is worth it to me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the MM2 so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I recently got the SW8 ESC because it was cheaper and an 8th scale ESC and I've had no problems.
    Yep, thats pretty much why Im just going to get the brand new differentials, I really don't want to have to tear into anything. I think I'm just about ready to make my order though. But if theres anything else y'all can think of, let me know. Thanks guys!

Just to make sure, the diffs I need are the 1/7 XO diffs correct?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-XO-1...item4d1905a671
    Last edited by gLippa; 10-01-2015 at 11:57 AM.

RC Champion
    Cool, be sure to post up some pics when the new goodies come in!

Mips, xo-1 diffs, aluminium motor mount with oversize bearing and an aluminium bearing adapter.

If hcg, get the traxxas HD motor plate too, it does drop the temp a lot, I have it and cant say enough how much it has worked, infact I do not use a motor fan at all.

I have tried the 2200 and now running the 2650 and on 6s that too is a beast, will eventually re try the 2200 with 6s
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    If hcg, get the traxxas HD motor plate too, it does drop the temp a lot, I have it and cant say enough how much it has worked, infact I do not use a motor fan at all.

I have tried the 2200 and now running the 2650 and on 6s that too is a beast, will eventually re try the 2200 with 6s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-STRC-Ra...item4af01984b8 Is this what youre talking about, Jezza? Or do you have a part #?

Just a thought if you haven't ordered yet, castle also makes a MM2 2650kv combo that imo is a better match to the slash.
    The notor will run great on 3s, the 2200kv need 4s to really come to life, also the 2650 is a monster on 4s should you choose that route.
    Both gret setups and 1/8 scale systems so I doubt heat would be an issue either way.
    Good luck with either setup you go with.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Alright, I guess I'll go with the 2650. Will I still have to move the receiver box up front? I dont know if that makes a difference, just trying to think of everything I can before I place my order. Already ordered the diffs from the XO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-STRC-Ra...item4af01984b8 Is this what youre talking about, Jezza? Or do you have a part #?
    I am using the 6890X hcg motor plate
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5837828
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Ordered everything today, and I went out and bought some blue loctite. Everything should be here by the 7th, I will post pics and a pic of my friends face(who is helping me piece it together) so everyone can see how jealous he is, Im going to rub it in sooo much when everything arrives. Thanks for the help everyone, havent been this excited in a while.

Heres what I ended up getting:
    1/8 Mamba Monster 2 25V Brushless system 2650kv
    XO-1 front and rear Differentials
    Kingzhead Motor mount
    Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    Traxxas Slash 4X4 Aluminum Motor Plate
    MIP Front and rear CVD kit
    5mm pinions, Stampede 4x4 receiver box, TRX plugs and other items that cost a couple bucks.
    Last edited by gLippa; 10-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.

RC Champion
    Sweet man! I just got upgrading my Slash and it is a lot of fun waiting for the mail run every day. I look forward to seeing the pictures of your build.

Ordered everything today, and I went out and bought some blue loctite. Everything should be here by the 7th, I will post pics and a pic of my friends face(who is helping me piece it together) so everyone can see how jealous he is, Im going to rub it in sooo much when everything arrives. Thanks for the help everyone, havent been this excited in a while.

Heres what I ended up getting:
    1/8 Mamba Monster 2 25V Brushless system 2650kv
    XO-1 front and rear Differentials
    Kingzhead Motor mount
    Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    Traxxas Slash 4X4 Aluminum Motor Plate
    MIP Front and rear CVD kit
    5mm pinions, Stampede 4x4 receiver box, TRX plugs and other items that cost a couple bucks.
    Nice, I would have went with a Hot Racing motor mount.
    $8 cheaper, better machined to be lighter, and of course the thing that really make it a better deal, the 0 ring for vibration damping of the same over sized bearing the kingz head uses.
    Well not the same bearing, the HR unit seems to come with a higher quality bearing, that or the 0 ring does a great job of extending bearing life.
    Something you wont find in the kingz head mount.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here you can see the machining that went into lighting the unit as well.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Best of luck on your build, it sounds like a beast in the making.
    I guaranty you wont regret going with the 2650kv.

Wow almost forgot, when you install you 2650 the motor will hit one of the screw mounts in the chassis, just take a dremel and knock it down a bit.
    If you dont it make it a bit difficult to get a perfect pinion spur mesh.
    Heres a pic so you know right what your after, you can clearly see where I removed both as the 2200kv is longer and a bigger issue.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-01-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added a pic

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    how about the aluminum motor mount from traxxas billy? its also machined I believe
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

In post #5, the OP said he has the HCG chassis...

If HR motor mount...

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=SLF3806;c=480

or

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...SLF38X06;c=480

I would go with the second one (but I have an LCG so I have no actual hands-on knowledge).

Oh I see, the HCG, well I cant say off hand if HR puts the 0 ring in the HCG mount with the over sized bearing.
    I've been meaning to take a look at one every time I go to the lhs but they start talking and the gab session begins.
    More often then not I leave with a bag of stuff and have the things I went for I forgot anyway ,.

RC Competitor

Upgrading to Mamba monster 2200kv and ESC

I think I goofed.. I knew I was going to have to solder but I ordered these plugs

I dont know if these are going to work. guess we'll find out when they get here.

"TRX style replacement plugs" is just another way of saying "unauthorized and unlicensed ripoff replacement plugs" so the link has been removed.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-03-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    HCG Slash 4x4 2650 MM2

I think I goofed.. I knew I was going to have to solder but I ordered these plugs

I dont know if these are going to work. guess we'll find out when they get here.

"TRX style replacement plugs" is just another way of saying "unauthorized and unlicensed ripoff replacement plugs" so the link has been removed.
    ksb51rl
    Make sure it says genuine Traxxas high current connectors.
    A lot of thief's out there wanting to make a buck on someone else's hard work and excellent products.
    All there really doing is putting you in danger with an inferior product.

I read a post on I believe another forum on the counterfeit castle motors and someone made a good point.
    No matter how well the motors do or dont perform your giving your money to a thief.
    All sounds just fine until you think about how you would feel knowing the fella who broke into your shop a week ago just sold a saw you paid $150 for to so guy for $10.

RC Competitor
    Oooh, I thought those were legitimate Traxxas plugs, once again Im new to this, pretty sure thats obvious. Guess I'll pay closer attention next time, sorry about that!

RC Competitor
    All the real important high dollar parts (motor/esc,diffs, and cvd kit) are about an hour and a half away so they should be here by tomorrow afternoon/evening. I cannot wait, its all Im going to be thinking of tomorrow at work. Im probably going to need more tires and batteries...

All the real important high dollar parts (motor/esc,diffs, and cvd kit) are about an hour and a half away so they should be here by tomorrow afternoon/evening. I cannot wait, its all Im going to be thinking of tomorrow at work. Im probably going to need more tires and batteries...
    LOL, I'd be calling into work and going to get the parts myself.

RC Competitor
    Well I got the CVD's, Diffs, and the motor plate. Im sending the diffs back because its just the differentials not the complete piece I was wanting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6407-1-7-Tra...item20f4bc8447 <---Will this just plug and play on the slash 4x4? I dont want to break open my diffs and mess with anything. I know I need the front diff as well.

Well I got the CVD's, Diffs, and the motor plate. Im sending the diffs back because its just the differentials not the complete piece I was wanting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6407-1-7-Tra...item20f4bc8447 <---Will this just plug and play on the slash 4x4? I dont want to break open my diffs and mess with anything. I know I need the front diff as well.
    Opening the two pieces of plastic and replacing the diff is something you should get used to doing, you'll doing it a lot in the future since the plastic bearing holders will wallow out.
    The difference between the pic in your post and the diff install is about a 15 second job, like literally 15 seconds.
    I never put more the 10 packs thru a truck without a complete diff rnr.
    The fact is when you get that piece and go to install is chances are they will fall in two parts any way.
    This is all there is.

I actually keep a front/rear housing on hand.
    Its completely your call but learning how to work on these things is a huge part of the hobby.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-05-2015 at 07:23 PM.

it's a great motor/esc combo. you're going to love it!
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Competitor
    So I received everything in the mail besides the plugs I need to solder on the ESC. So far I have installed the Kingz Head motor mount, Stampede 4x4 receiver box, the aluminum motor plate, aluminum bearing adapter and the 2650kv motor. I'll post a pic in the next update.

So I received everything in the mail besides the plugs I need to solder on the ESC. So far I have installed the Kingz Head motor mount, Stampede 4x4 receiver box, the aluminum motor plate, aluminum bearing adapter and the 2650kv motor. I'll post a pic in the next update.
    Sounds like you'll have quite the Slash in no time.
    Can't wait to see some pics.

RC Competitor
    I have everything installed on my slash now. The esc powers on, I follow the instructions to program it, but it tones 4 times (not 3), everytime, and will not program. Everything is hooked up right. Ive tried restoring factory settings to the radio but the same result happens in the end. It says in the directions a red led after full throttle, then a yellow led after full brake, then all leds at neutral, but all leds flash meaning its not receiving a valid signal from the rx? right? Im a little lost, Had a friend help, he is experienced with RC and he is stumped as well.
    Last edited by gLippa; 10-10-2015 at 12:52 AM.

RC Competitor
    THe servo will turn when I turn left or right on the radio, But I also noticed then RX will turn red from solid green for a split second when turning left to right real fast, not sure if this is normal just trying to list everything that happens.

When programming my MM2, it wouldn't properly power up until I reversed the Tx throttle settings (Futaba).
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    When programming my MM2, it wouldn't properly power up until I reversed the Tx throttle settings (Futaba).
    Good luck!
    I run spectrum but also had to reverse the throttle on mine.
    After that it was not an issue.
    With the TQi be sure your not set at 70%/30% on the throttle, this will cause issues with some of then as well.

RC Competitor
    So I'd have to reverse the throttle, calibrate the esc, then restore the Tx to default settings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast