Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Shroud & Fan Use

Do you have to remove the fan from the ESC and Motor when running a shroud in the winter months?

Quote Originally Posted by VisitorQ View Post
    Do you have to remove the fan from the ESC and Motor when running a shroud in the winter months?
    No. Good to have the fans expecially when using a shroud to have some air flow.

RC Champion
    I would even say the opposite is true as well: Good to have a shroud when running a fan. My fans don't last very long without a shroud because of all the debris that gets stuck in it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    No. Good to have the fans expecially when using a shroud to have some air flow.
    Oh ok, thanks.

So I shroud is something I mainly want to use then in the snow then?

RC Enthusiast
    I use the shroud always.
    If your system runs cool and you drive in a muddy/wet/dirty area, I think is a must.
    The only situation that I don't think is necessary is running on pavement only.

But remember, the temperatures will rise. If you run in the limits, can be a problem.

RC Racer
    Any recommendations on which one to buy?

RC Racer
    The Toyz or Dusty Motors?

The Toyz or Dusty Motors?
    I got the dusty motors. Pretty good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    I got the dusty motors. Pretty good.
    Pretty good sounds like it's ok at best. What don't you like about it?

Pretty good sounds like it's ok at best. What don't you like about it?
    Nothing dude. It is a quality product, but I dont use it very often.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    I have dusty covers and outerwears. I like the dusty covers more because there is a zipper in the midde where you can put in a new lipo. outerwears you have to take the whole shroud off. as for fans, I have no problem running in dirt with a fan with a shroud. even running in occasional puddles, my fans still work. the shroud does not allow dirt and stuff in it. only really really fine particles. like dust
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

The HR ones are zippered as well...

HCG:

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...SLF16C06;c=480

LCG:

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...LCF16C06;c=805

I have the Dusty Motors one, but have not opened it yet...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    I'll probably just pick up a Dusty Motors one, seems to be what most people have. I'm sure they are all about the same with the only major difference being the zipper.

RC Racer
    I like the dual zippers on the HR, unzip both sides and peel the center section back for full access to all components, the covers with a single center zipper don't seem as user friendly... to me anyway, Amazon had the HR's at a better price than most of the other well known brands, $24 shipped.

RC Qualifier
    wow that looks good

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post
    wow that looks good
    Thanks Jelle, I've been having quite a great time tinkering with this truck.

I bash around an abandoned baseball field close to home, within a couple minutes the chassis will accumulate a pound of rocks and dirt, it took about a minute to destroy my first heatsink fan…no more of that with this HR cover, and like I said, twin zippers make this one much more user friendly IMO. I'm a little OCD so this is a great mod for the clean freak that I am.

RC Racer
    Nice. I see the antenna cut out on the HR one, I'll have to look to see if the others have that.

Looks like they left out that detail...

Last edited by VisitorQ; 10-02-2015 at 01:22 PM.

RC Champion
    I think that antenna cut out is a custom mod. My HR shroud doesn't have one so I bend the antenna down when I zip it up.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    I think that antenna cut out is a custom mod. My HR shroud doesn't have one so I bend the antenna down when I zip it up.
    You must have a older version?

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...SLF16C06;c=480

Maybe Trusound can verify this??
    Last edited by VisitorQ; 10-02-2015 at 01:43 PM.

If you need one, just use the tip of a solder iron to "burn-in" an antenna hole where you want.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If you need one, just use the tip of a solder iron to "burn-in" an antenna hole where you want.
    Good idea but it may rip further in the future unless it sorta melts like plastic.

RC Champion
    I have the LCG version shroud, about a year old, and it didn't have a hole for the antenna. I don't think it matters if the antenna is upright or laying flat, works the same either way as far as I can tell.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    I have the LCG version shroud, about a year old, and it didn't have a hole for the antenna. I don't think it matters if the antenna is upright or laying flat, works the same either way as far as I can tell.
    Probably not a big deal but I would rather have it like Trusound's.

When burning-in a hole, the material melts around the hole (seals it up) and should not rip.

The Dusty Motors shroud "poofs up" and clears the antenna within it. No hole necessary.

I changed my Rx/Tx to Futaba and picked up their antenna-less system and love it!

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5866676

Older video for their HCG:

No need to make an antenna hole for this one as well...

RC Racer
    Well the deal with the Hot Racing one is that the LCG version does not have the antenna hole and the regular one does. Why this is the case, I have no clue but I have verified this from a dealer who had them both in stock from HR this week.

I have the Toyz version and my antenna fits inside it kinda like the Dusty Motors pictured above.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    One pack for about 40 minutes in my usual very rocky and dusty spot with the HR today, just a light dusting underneath and zero big stuff...woohoo.

Both the HR and DM will definitely keep your fans running, save you some cleaning time and eliminate that extra weight that the chassis hangs on to...one zipper or two it's a good thing.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TruSound View Post
    One pack for about 40 minutes in my usual very rocky and dusty spot with the HR today, just a light dusting underneath and zero big stuff...woohoo.

Both the HR and DM will definitely keep your fans running, save you some cleaning time and eliminate that extra weight that the chassis hangs on to...one zipper or two it's a good thing.
    You answered nothing... LCG or No?

RC Qualifier
    for me, the antenna is no problemo, I did what DHC did, remove the tubing, get a lighter, burn a bit of the tubing (like around the middle) bend it sideways, and hold it in place.

RC Racer
    You answered nothing... LCG or No?
    Oops, I have the HCG chassis

RC Racer
    Oops, I have the HCG chassis
    So my information is correct. Thanks for the reply.

Boy I remember the first time I heard one of these covers hitting the market.
    This doesn't mean it was the fist one but the first I heard of them, they have come a long way.
    I always used a compressor and will continue to do so.
    That said I have moved for a few years and now my hobby room is inside the house rather then a shop, this is where the new compressor resides.
    This means having to walk thru the house to get to it, what make this an issue, the hobby room is the only room thats MINE, the wife has no say in what happens in that room.
    Problem is the rest of the house is her's and getting through it unnoticed can be a challenge,lol.
    If only all the dirt would stay on the car all the way to the hobby room instead of leaving that little trail that gets me busted every time.

In the long run I can see these covers being quite an asset.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Boy I remember the first time I heard one of these covers hitting the market.
    This doesn't mean it was the fist one but the first I heard of them, they have come a long way.
    I always used a compressor and will continue to do so.Love
    That said I have moved for a few years and now my hobby room is inside the house rather then a shop, this is where the new compressor resides.
    This means having to walk thru the house to get to it, what make this an issue, the hobby room is the only room thats MINE, the wife has no say in what happens in that room.
    Problem is the rest of the house is her's and getting through it unnoticed can be a challenge,lol.
    If only all the dirt would stay on the car all the way to the hobby room instead of leaving that little trail that gets me busted every time.

In the long run I can see these covers being quite an asset.
    A compressor is a must with this hobby, I have a SnapOn turbo blower that'll take chrome off a bumper, no bashing traces left when I'm done...and now that the M/C has vacated the man cave I have plenty of space for RC work, here's my space.

A compressor is a must with this hobby, I have a SnapOn turbo blower that'll take chrome off a bumper, no bashing traces left when I'm done...and now that the M/C has vacated the man cave I have plenty of space for RC work, here's my space.

Goodness I dont think my shop ever looks that good, including right after I clean it.
    Kinda of hard tho, when your hobby area and place of business are the same.
    I have to dig up some pic of my Intermediator two, I bought the light tell green version, looked blue to me being color blind,lol.
    A buddy of mine plated the Snap-on emblem in gold, came out pretty sweet
    I run an old Sully 3 phase that has its own building outside of the shop.
    Not mine but it's twin (below), the thing is about 20 years old, runs up to 175 psi (was 150 but a few minor switch adjustment took care of that, I have had the electric motor redone once and replaced a couple capacitors over the years.
    Back then I paid $1,250 for it and that was unheard of in the late 90's.
    Thing has paid for it self a thousand times.
    Now I'm using a $130 Home Depot 110lb special since I'm in Owosso until I can sell this house and go home.
    No more renting places out for me.

Let me finish with thats about the best arranged and clean shop I've ever seen.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Goodness I dont think my shop ever looks that good, including right after I clean it.
    Kinda of hard tho, when your hobby area and place of business are the same.
    I have to dig up some pic of my Intermediator two, I bought the light tell green version, looked blue to me being color blind,lol.
    A buddy of mine plated the Snap-on emblem in gold, came out pretty sweet
    I run an old Sully 3 phase that has its own building outside of the shop.
    Not mine but it's twin (below), the thing is about 20 years old, runs up to 175 psi (was 150 but a few minor switch adjustment took care of that, I have had the electric motor redone once and replaced a couple capacitors over the years.
    Back then I paid $1,250 for it and that was unheard of in the late 90's.
    Thing has paid for it self a thousand times.
    Now I'm using a $130 Home Depot 110lb special since I'm in Owosso until I can sell this house and go home.
    No more renting places out for me.

Let me finish with thats about the best arranged and clean shop I've ever seen.
    Thank you sir, OCD has it's benefits after all...and that compressor of yours, definitely want that beast outside or down the block maybe.

Thank you sir, OCD has it's benefits after all...and that compressor of yours, definitely want that beast outside or down the block maybe.
    LOL, truth is when it turns on the only way I can tell is all the conduit resonates a bit as the entire shop has several different out lets.
    Its nothing for for three or four of use to be using at once but shes a tough old girl.
    Spent the first several years of its life running body tools, very hard on a compressor, now it runs 90% pneumatic wrenching tools which doesn't even make it work hard at all.
    On a hot summer day we might go open the shed door if we're working it fairly hard.

RC Racer
    My modest little craftsman is in that grey box you can see on the right, there's a fan in there that blows over the top of the motor and exits thru the top left of the box...a couple summers ago my cars exterior temp gauge read 127...OUCH, pneumatic tools and cleaning is all she does so not to hard on it. Having a compressor at home is just one of those things I couldn't live without.

RC Racer
    I see the Dusty Motor cover comes with shock covers as well, do they help?

RC Racer
    I see the Dusty Motor cover comes with shock covers as well, do they help?
    I bought a set of shock socks from BadHorsie, I definitely believe they'll help with shock shaft longevity, I just got a set of GTR shocks and wanna keep them in as good a shape as possible...after a few packs my stock springs were badly beaten up, so yes I think they're a good thing and nice Dusty includes them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast