RC poster

I'm new... Need help!

hi my name is Jake. I just today bought a used stampede 4x4. it's got a HPI vektor 4000 motor and HPI ecs. My concern is that when i have the truck off and i push it forward or backward there is a clicking/grinding noise and vibration coming from the wheels or axles? I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with it before i dive into it. I have no experience what so ever with RC trucks. I have a HPI sprint 2 flux electronic car, but never had a truck, and the car i just recently purchased as well- so i know next to nothing about any of this. i'm just learning as i go along. Someone please help!

RC poster
    ok so i think it has something to do with the driveshaft near the back by the rear shock tower. As i spin the tires there is definately resistance and i can hear the clunking/clinking/clicking coming from the driveshaft. The problem is, i have no experience tearing these things apart. and i don't know if it's stock or not, but there is a clear plastic piece that covers the length of the driveshaft from the top so i can't get in there without taking everything apart. also, the clear drive shaft cover (?) it looks like it possibly melted onto the sides of the chassis, either that or he super glued it on and it melted/distorted the plastic. I really need help guys The thing is, the truck runs great! fast as heck. just when it's slowing down it really clicks or when i push it by hand it clicks. doesn't seem to be interfering with anything. i work 6am to 8pm at my store everyday until monday otherwise i would just goto my LHS. man this is a bummer, got a new toy and too afraid of messing something up worse to drive it... Anybody have any ideas/help/thoughts??? What do i do? money isn't an issue i just want to make this thing work properly. uggghhhhhh!!!!

RC Champion
    What you are probably feeling and hearing is the motor and spur gears. To be honest you NEED to blow this truck apart and check everything as you bought it used. It may have problems that you will only make worse with out checking everything plus it will get you familiar with everything. Tearing the truck apart and checking everything is a big part of this. If you don't have the manual Traxxas has exploded views on here.
    just a basher

RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    I agree with pro mod steve, since it is used the best thing too do is pull it completely apart and check all your bearings, gears, etc. Taking it apart is actually pretty easy, you should check out YouTube thy have videos showing how too completely disassemble the p4de. I'm a noob myself and have only had my p4de for 7 weeks and when I first got it I had no clue what I was looking at, but thanks too youtube and this forum I can now tear it apart and fix anything that breaks on it with no problem. Taking it apart is the best thing, I bought a used mini revo couple weeks ago that would not roll good and made a lot of noise I tore it apart and it ended up having 14 bad bearings in it. So I would take it apart and clean it, inspect bearing and stuff, plus it'll give you a chance too get familiar with disassembling it.

RC poster
    Okay. Tomorrow i will start this adventure. The problem is i dont know the difference if im lookimg at a part that is bad or a part that is fine. When looking at gears obviously I'll check the teeth but with a bearing what am i looking for?? I hope this works out okay for me :/ i was planning on getting a bunch of upgrades on monday from my LHS but now im fearing this is gonna prevent that from happening. Dang it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by LovinRsee View Post
    Okay. Tomorrow i will start this adventure. The problem is i dont know the difference if im lookimg at a part that is bad or a part that is fine. When looking at gears obviously I'll check the teeth but with a bearing what am i looking for?? I hope this works out okay for me :/ i was planning on getting a bunch of upgrades on monday from my LHS but now im fearing this is gonna prevent that from happening. Dang it. Thanks for the advice guys.
    If a bearing is gritty sounding, or doesn't roll very well then it's a good thing too replace it, and there's always the obvious bad bearing that will just fall too pieces because it's so wore out lol. Bearings aren't that expensive too replace, and you will still able too upgrade it just fine, what mods are already done too it, some pics would be nice as well.

RC poster
    Okay thanks general! I'll do my best to tell you what 8s done to it (to my knowledge). I own my own store so thats where I'm going to be in an hour working and also where i left the truck. Ill also download tapatalk to send pics of the truck. It'll take me an hour or two.

RC poster
    And no, it's not a hobby store that i own lol! Although at this point i wish i did own a hobby store.

RC poster

Hey friends. So from what i can tell... looks like motor and esc are aftermarket, wheels & tires, wheelie bar, axles?, and a driveshaft cover. Im going to take a picture of that messed up/melted driveshaft cover i cant get off!

RC poster

This is that pesky cover that's ALL messed up. Dont know what to do about it besides break it out.

RC poster
    Okay guys, i took off the rear cover that covers gears and when i spin the wheels now it doesnt do that clinking sound? Im so confused right now...

RC poster
    Okay so the gears look good and when the motors gear isn't in Contact with the rear gear by the shocktower, there is no resistance , BUT when I have the gears matched and push the truck the resistance is there again. Is the motor bad?? Any ideas? Like I said the truck runs great I just don't understand this grinding sound with resistance, any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated. I don't get frustrated easily but this is really bugging me!

RC poster
    The sound is most defiantly something to do with the motor cut that's where the sound is coming from I know for sure now.

RC Racer
    maybe the gears are not meshing properly?
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

RC poster
    How do I check that to make sure? It defianetly sounds like it's coming from the motor. When the gears aren't touching and I turn the gear on the motor it does have a little resistance. Maybe that's normal I don't know...

How do I check that to make sure? It defianetly sounds like it's coming from the motor. When the gears aren't touching and I turn the gear on the motor it does have a little resistance. Maybe that's normal I don't know...
    There is gonna be some resistance the truck is not gonna roll freely when the pinion and spur gear are set, too set a good gear mesh take a piece of notebook paper and stick between the gears then push the pinion onto the spur the paper between the gears should give you a good gear mesh and then you tighten the motor back down.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    The resistance you are feeling is from the motor's magnets. It's normal.
    If you can turn the motor without any loose fitting parts or a grinding noise, the motor is fine.
    If the rest of the truck rolls smoothly with the motor disengaged, it is probably fine.

I do think the wise thing to do is download all the free exploded views available for the P4de here on this site and disassemble the truck and inspect the parts. If it's wrong, you'll know it. This is a great way to learn your new truck and ensure that everything is lubed and in working order.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Awesome! Thanks to everybody who helped me! Im new and im sure its annoying getting asked questions that are so lame, but you guys did help me out a lot. I look forward to being a member of this forum and the p4de club! (not sure why people use p4de, guessing 4x4 stampede abbreviation? ) i did download the exploded views from traxxas and im in the middle of taking apart the truck and making a list of pieces needing replacement. So far its just a couple rusty screws. I got that pain the the butt driveshaft cover off so im gonna maybe get a new one on my order if need be. So again, thank you guys. I will definately be around the stampede forums and im sure i I'll have more questions as i go on this journey! Much respect! Going to attempt that gear pinion paper trick right now.

Awesome! Thanks to everybody who helped me! Im new and im sure its annoying getting asked questions that are so lame, but you guys did help me out a lot. I look forward to being a member of this forum and the p4de club! (not sure why people use p4de, guessing 4x4 stampede abbreviation? ) i did download the exploded views from traxxas and im in the middle of taking apart the truck and making a list of pieces needing replacement. So far its just a couple rusty screws. I got that pain the the butt driveshaft cover off so im gonna maybe get a new one on my order if need be. So again, thank you guys. I will definately be around the stampede forums and im sure i I'll have more questions as i go on this journey! Much respect! Going to attempt that gear pinion paper trick right now.
    No problem and yes p4de is an abbreviation for stampede 4x4.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    No problem and yes p4de is an abbreviation for stampede 4x4.
    So this gear meshing... do i keep the paper in until i get it screwed in? And how do i know if it's TOO tight?

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    overheating. thats how you know if your mesh is too tight. and are those integy driveshafts???
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC poster
    Yes it says integy on them. Are they garbage? I don't have a temp reader so I hope I get this right!

Yes it says integy on them. Are they garbage? I don't have a temp reader so I hope I get this right!
    Heard a lot of bad stuff about integy but if there working fine if just run em until they break. Yes you leave the paper between the gears until you tighten the motor. Just put the paper between the gears and press the pinion onto the spur, you can feel it go between the gears, once it's pressed down good just lightly hold the motor in place until you tighten you do not have too use a lot of pressure too gold motor in place. I made the mistake of pressing down on the motor too tight when setting the mesh and ended up stripping a spur from being too tight. Once it's tightened you just roll the truck backwards and the paper will come out and should have a crinkled look too it.

When gears are meshed properly they should have only a teeny bit of play. Just a minute amount clicking between the gears' teeth.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    integy is just crap, it makes me want to vomit. so expensive but so crap. generalpede wrote the write way to set the mesh
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

[QUOTE=Jelle318;6078058]integy is just crap, it makes me want to vomit. so expensive but so crap.[QUOTE]

This is so very true. Well stated Jelle318.
    Obstacle Magnet

Wonder why their parts are not great, some of the stuff I've seen of integy is very expensive and yet I see such horrible reviews for it lol only good reviews I have seen is for their heatsinks, which I do have that but that is the only integy part that will be on my p4de. I had their motor fan too but it messed up, only reason it messed up is I ran my 3500kv too 200 degrees and the fan casing warped lol replaced it with a velineon fan.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If like to add a little something to generalpede gear mesh. I find that folding the paper in half (twice as thick) gives you a better gear mesh then a single piece. I also agree with him about your drive shafts. If they are working for you no need to change them. Yes there has been plenty of bad reviews of this brand. But I still see quit a few running their products. I've seen one member run bulkheads and was doing good with them even in the cold. Finally something gave and broke but it was the product it was the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    If like to add a little something to generalpede gear mesh. I find that folding the paper in half (twice as thick) gives you a better gear mesh then a single piece. I also agree with him about your drive shafts. If they are working for you no need to change them. Yes there has been plenty of bad reviews of this brand. But I still see quit a few running their products. I've seen one member run bulkheads and was doing good with them even in the cold. Finally something gave and broke but it was the product it was the chassis.
    I always used a single piece because I wasn sure how thick of paper too use, I will try folding it next time, haven't had any issues yet with the single piece, but I'm still new too this hobby so I'm still in the learning process myself lol

Also you really need too get a temp gun, it's pretty much a required piece in the rc world.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    I always used a single piece because I wasn sure how thick of paper too use, I will try folding it next time, haven't had any issues yet with the single piece, but I'm still new too this hobby so I'm still in the learning process myself lol
    I started out with single. Then I doubled it up and it felt like a better fit. I've done it sooo many times I do it by feel now.

Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I started out with single. Then I doubled it up and it felt like a better fit. I've done it sooo many times I do it by feel now.
    I'm hoping too get too that level soon, but for now I still use the paper method lol and I also use a flashlight after I tighten the motor too make sure the gears are making a good contact.