Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar

Top speed with the 2400kv on my p4de

So I finally was able too borrow a gps from a friend. Have been curious how fast my p4de is going. So before work I got too try it out, at the moment I'm geared 17/54, my pinions came in today and will be swapping too 19/54 after work, but on 17/54 it showed max speed at 46mph, not too bad. I'm shooting for 50mph and I'm hoping the 19 tooth pinion will get me there.

RC Qualifier
    Was that with the 3s in? I was expecting more honestly because my 2400 is on order. I hit 42.5 with stock motor on 2s, that was with 17/54 on XL5 tires. I do realize that you can run like that through a full pack without overheating whereas I have to take breaks, but I just expected more from the 2400kv.

That was with a 3s pack, once I installed my other pinion I should be in the 50mph range, you have too remember that since it's a lower kv it's not as fast as the velineon with the same gearing, but it also has a lot more torque than the stock velineon, and of course you can't run the 3500kv with that high of gearing because of heat issues. Also this motor can run 4s as well and I'm sure on 4s it would be a whole lot faster lol I've seen a few ppl mention that they have run as high as a 22t pinion, but my goal is too have a 50mph top speed range but also be able too run off road with the same gear, and I'm thinking the 19t is what I will end up running, I'm gonna swap too the 19t when I get off and post the top speed results on that gear sometime tmw before I go too work.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it was a blast to run 42.5 so I guess going even faster without the worry of overheating and the ability to do some high speed bashing would make it that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    Yeah it was a blast to run 42.5 so I guess going even faster without the worry of overheating and the ability to do some high speed bashing would make it that much better.
    Plus the torque increase is very nice, and I've been running this gear since I done the swap and the highest temp on the motor so far has been 132, and that was in 100 degree weather driving like a fool for almost a hour, I usually get close too a hour outta my 6400 pack and sometimes I run my 4000 mah pack as well after the 6400, which depending on how I'm driving gives me around a hour and a half of driving time and motor temp has been no issue at all, try running the 3500kv geared 17/54 on 3s for that long and see how long it lasts lol you will not regret doing this swap I can guarantee you that

My 2 cents on the 2400kv swap. I did it in my Slash. On a 2s geared 18/54 it seems about as fast as the 3500kv geared 13/54. Throw a 3s pack at them and the 3500 will get hot(even geared low) and the 2400 will shine. Geared 18/54 in my Slash it'll do almost 50mph and it'll do it all day long. You can bash through the grass or do WOT trips up and down the street...it doesn't care. You can run 2s,3s and even 4s with the right esc with no gearing changes...try that with the 3500. The weak spot with the 2400 seems to be the 3mm shaft...there have been reports of broken shafts.It's still a great fit for the Slash/Stampede. My new personal favorite is the Kershaw 2700kv 3674 with a 5mm shaft.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    My 2 cents on the 2400kv swap. I did it in my Slash. On a 2s geared 18/54 it seems about as fast as the 3500kv geared 13/54. Throw a 3s pack at them and the 3500 will get hot(even geared low) and the 2400 will shine. Geared 18/54 in my Slash it'll do almost 50mph and it'll do it all day long. You can bash through the grass or do WOT trips up and down the street...it doesn't care. You can run 2s,3s and even 4s with the right esc with no gearing changes...try that with the 3500. The weak spot with the 2400 seems to be the 3mm shaft...there have been reports of broken shafts.It's still a great fit for the Slash/Stampede. My new personal favorite is the Kershaw 2700kv 3674 with a 5mm shaft.
    I have heard about the 3mm shaft failing, so far mine hasn't given me any trouble( knock on wood!!). Been meaning too ask you how is the kershaw motor working for you, I was thinking of putting a kershaw 2400kv in my gf slash since their not very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    I have heard about the 3mm shaft failing, so far mine hasn't given me any trouble( knock on wood!!). Been meaning too ask you how is the kershaw motor working for you, I was thinking of putting a kershaw 2400kv in my gf slash since their not very expensive.
    My Traxxas 2400 has been rock solid for me. The Kershaw 2700 has also been rock solid however I have only ran a few 3s packs through it. So far the performance has been very acceptable and I see no reason for it to give me issues in the future. IMO a very good option at $40.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

My Traxxas 2400 has been rock solid for me. The Kershaw 2700 has also been rock solid however I have only ran a few 3s packs through it. So far the performance has been very acceptable and I see no reason for it to give me issues in the future. IMO a very good option at $40.
    Good too know, she's only running 2s, have no problems with temps on the stock 3500kv. Would it be best too just leave the 3500kv in her slash since she's only running 2s or would putting the 2400 kershaw in there be better?

RC Qualifier
    I'm curious about the Kershaw as well. Will it work with the 4 pole VXL-3s?

Good too know, she's only running 2s, have no problems with temps on the stock 3500kv. Would it be best too just leave the 3500kv in her slash since she's only running 2s or would putting the 2400 kershaw in there be better?
    Just my opinion but...I feel that 3500 does just fine(actually quite good) as long as you stay on 2s and gear it correctly. 3s is where the temp issues come in, at least that's what happened to mine.

Cpstack, I'm not sure about using the vxl with the Kershaw 2700kv. I ran my 2400 Traxxas with it just fine but I'm using a WP SC8 to run the Kershaw(which works very good) because I moved the vxl/3500 to my Rustler. The Kershaw comes with 4mm bullets so you'll have to do some soldering to try it. Sorry I'm not more help. Let us know if you try it as I've seen that question asked elsewhere. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    You can bash through the grass or do WOT trips up and down the street...it doesn't care. You can run 2s,3s and even 4s with the right esc with no gearing changes...try that with the 3500.
    WOT = Wide Open Throttle?????
    Too many RC's to list.......I NEED MORE THO!!!!

Just my opinion but...I feel that 3500 does just fine(actually quite good) as long as you stay on 2s and gear it correctly. 3s is where the temp issues come in, at least that's what happened to mine.

Cpstack, I'm not sure about using the vxl with the Kershaw 2700kv. I ran my 2400 Traxxas with it just fine but I'm using a WP SC8 to run the Kershaw(which works very good) because I moved the vxl/3500 to my Rustler. The Kershaw comes with 4mm bullets so you'll have to do some soldering to try it. Sorry I'm not more help. Let us know if you try it as I've seen that question asked elsewhere. Good luck!!
    That's what I was thinking but just wanted too get another opinion thanks.
    I'm curious about the Kershaw as well. Will it work with the 4 pole VXL-3s?
    It should work with no problem, instead of soldering you can buy 4mm too 3.5 connectors off of eBay and it should just plug right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Demstwenties View Post
    WOT = Wide Open Throttle?????
    Yes that is correct.

RC Qualifier
    Soldering can be fun. The Castle 2400kv is on the way so that's gonna be my choice regardless now but I'll definitely keep the Kershaw in mind for later on. I don't see myself falling out of the hobby any time soon.

Soldering can be fun. The Castle 2400kv is on the way so that's gonna be my choice regardless now but I'll definitely keep the Kershaw in mind for later on. I don't see myself falling out of the hobby any time soon.
    Lol well I don't know how too solder, do I would have too buy the bullet adapters if I ever buy one of those motors. Which eventually I'm upgrading too a mmp esc anyway.

I run my Castle 2400kv at 4s with 17/54 gearing at the moment in my backslash 4x4. I never had issues with the shaft. Running this motor for over 2 years now.

So I ran the 19/54 setup walago and here are the results. I will keep running this setup it has the exact top speed I was looking for.

So I ran the 19/54 setup walago and here are the results. I will keep running this setup it has the exact top speed I was looking for.
    is this 3s or 4s?

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    is this 3s or 4s?
    3s pack will be awhile before I bump up too 4s, I still will have too upgrade a couple things before I journey down the 4s road.

RC Qualifier
    Gotta be happy with that, that's moving along pretty good.

Gotta be happy with that, that's moving along pretty good.
    Very pleased with it now, I'm sure on 4s it would prob be close too 60mph or a lil more not sure on that though, guess I'll find out in a few months though. Will run a 2s battery tmw just for the fun of it too see what it's top speed with that is.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'd be curious to see that too. One of the first few threads on the Sl4sh forum is a 4ss speedrun with the 2400kv, you've probably seen it. Anyway, he went from 45mph to 65mph with the 3s to 4s jump on 18/50 gearing. I'm assuming the P4de would run about the same not sure. The P4de is 9 ounces heavier from the factory but whose Pede or Slash going 65mph really weighs the same as it did from the factory, everybody has gained a little weight somewhere.

Yeah I'd be curious to see that too. One of the first few threads on the Sl4sh forum is a 4ss speedrun with the 2400kv, you've probably seen it. Anyway, he went from 45mph to 65mph with the 3s to 4s jump on 18/50 gearing. I'm assuming the P4de would run about the same not sure. The P4de is 9 ounces heavier from the factory but whose Pede or Slash going 65mph really weighs the same as it did from the factory, everybody has gained a little weight somewhere.
    I would probably destroy my p4de if it went 65mph lol on 4s I'll prob put the 17t back in it. Yea mine has gained some weight since I bought it.

I would probably destroy my p4de if it went 65mph lol on 4s I'll prob put the 17t back in it. Yea mine has gained some weight since I bought it.
    With 2400kV on 4s I run Mips all around, 17mm Hexes with 1/8 buggy wheels/tires and XO-1 diffs.

17/54 is good gearing, but since I run a shroud the motor gets up to 170f after a full run on 5000mah 4s pack.

Once you get used to 4s its a blast.

My truck is about 7 lbs together with the 4s 5000 mah lipo.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    With 2400kV on 4s I run Mips all around, 17mm Hexes with 1/8 buggy wheels/tires and XO-1 diffs.

17/54 is good gearing, but since I run a shroud the motor gets up to 170f after a full run on 5000mah 4s pack.

Once you get used to 4s its a blast.

My truck is about 7 lbs together with the 4s 5000 mah lipo.
    Yea I still have too upgrade too xo-1 diff, 17mm hub, and a new esc before I make the switch too 4s. What do you mean by shroud. Are you referring too the chassis should that covers all the electronics and stuff?

Dusty Motors shroud.

I want be running one of those, so my temps shouldn't be that high, but 170 is still not bad for being on 4s and everything being covered up

everybody has gained a little weight somewhere.
    Hey!! I resemble that remark! lol You sound like my doctor! Kidding!! Cpstack you're gonna love that 2400kv....have fun with it and post back your results! GeneralPede..congrats ! You got that thing rockin!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Hey!! I resemble that remark! lol You sound like my doctor! Kidding!! Cpstack you're gonna love that 2400kv....have fun with it and post back your results! GeneralPede..congrats ! You got that thing rockin!!
    Thank you, it's my pride and joy lol stripping it down now getting the chassis ready too be dyed!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm looking forward to pulling mine apart and trying to get it all back together even neater than the factory did.

Wonder if it's safe to say that each tooth on the pinion is worth 2 mph. I know that's it probably not but I'll sure experiment and find out eventually. Anybody know the largest pinion that will fit in a P4de?

Yeah I'm looking forward to pulling mine apart and trying to get it all back together even neater than the factory did.

Wonder if it's safe to say that each tooth on the pinion is worth 2 mph. I know that's it probably not but I'll sure experiment and find out eventually. Anybody know the largest pinion that will fit in a P4de?
    Yea it's fun modding and remounting stuff lol not sure on the pinion mph ?. I believe the largest is a 22t but not 100% sure. Biggest I found on eBay was 22t couldn find nothing bigger than that. I believe you would have too change too a smaller spur too run that big of tooth, because with my 19t on it now, even when the motor is pulled all the way back my pinion is still touching the spur a little bit. Maybe one of the experienced people can shed some light on this.

RC Qualifier
    My lhs website had a 26t listed from Robinson racing. That would be a fun one to try and squeeze in

Quote Originally Posted by K Money View Post
    My lhs website had a 26t listed from Robinson racing. That would be a fun one to try and squeeze in
    Dang, I couldn't imagine trying too fit that in there. You probably couldn't even put the gear cover on it lol

You can also lower the spur tooth count if you are looking for a taller gear ratio (TRX6843 or TRX6842).
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    ^^^yes I run 20/50... great rig again. and nice GPS man!!! is tha a garmin?
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    You can also lower the spur tooth count if you are looking for a taller gear ratio (TRX6843 or TRX6842).
    Thanks for the info, I plan on just staying at 19/54 for now has the top speed I was looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post
    ^^^yes I run 20/50... great rig again. and nice GPS man!!! is tha a garmin?
    Thanks man, yea it's a garmin, it's not mine had too borrow it from a friend, great way too measure speed.

Thanks for the info, I plan on just staying at 19/54 for now has the top speed I was looking for.
    Most welcome. Good to be satisfied with a certain top speed. You can always want more, but driving fun just starts to decrease above a certain point.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Most welcome. Good to be satisfied with a certain top speed. You can always want more, but driving fun just starts to decrease above a certain point.
    Yea I'm sure I will want more eventually lol I already have plans too eventually switch over too running 4s, but that won't be anytime soon. Right now 3s is plenty for me.

RC Qualifier
    Had a chance to see what the top speed is on 2s?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast