Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15

    New to me stampede

    Hey guys, new here.

    I picked up a stampede 4x4 vxl with two lipo two batteries. Paid 325 on eBay shipped to my door.

    I have had rc trucks before but nitro fueled and it turned me away from the hobby. I didn't have the patience for the carb on them. I enjoy the stampede a lot. They are tough!!!


    The old rcs I have I did manage to use some parts on my stampede. I used a body with some minor mods. Just drilling two holes. It's pink but it works. I then found some imex mud dawgs. They're old but are like new. They're on 17mm rims and I got the converter today but lost the jam nut a minute after I took it out. Didn't let the loctit sit long enough but they look awesome. The rc came with integry steel drive shafts.

    I'm on my iPhone. How do I post pictures?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post
    Hey guys, new here.

    I picked up a stampede 4x4 vxl with two lipo two batteries. Paid 325 on eBay shipped to my door.

    I have had rc trucks before but nitro fueled and it turned me away from the hobby. I didn't have the patience for the carb on them. I enjoy the stampede a lot. They are tough!!!


    The old rcs I have I did manage to use some parts on my stampede. I used a body with some minor mods. Just drilling two holes. It's pink but it works. I then found some imex mud dawgs. They're old but are like new. They're on 17mm rims and I got the converter today but lost the jam nut a minute after I took it out. Didn't let the loctit sit long enough but they look awesome. The rc came with integry steel drive shafts.

    I'm on my iPhone. How do I post pictures?

    Thanks.
    If your using tapatalk like me, you just click on the plus sign by the write a reply box and it'll have a option for you too take a pic or use pictures out of your library.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Oh and welcome too the forum!!

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15


    Got it!

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post


    Got it!
    Nice p4de, here's mine.
    I like those tires you have, they look like tsl boggers.

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    Nice snake, they're imex swamp dawgs. I have subcultures. I like those as well.

    Comparison. The swamp dawgs I got I picked up with a bundle of nitro rcs I bought years ago. Had a hpi savage, a xtm something or other and a bunch of parts. It came with a lot of 17mm rims and tires. So I got the converter off eBay. I love the bigger tires till I lost the jam nut.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post
    Nice snake, they're imex swamp dawgs. I have subcultures. I like those as well.

    Comparison. The swamp dawgs I got I picked up with a bundle of nitro rcs I bought years ago. Had a hpi savage, a xtm something or other and a bunch of parts. It came with a lot of 17mm rims and tires. So I got the converter off eBay. I love the bigger tires till I lost the jam nut.
    Yea lots of ppl swap over too 17mm too keep from stripping hexes. If everything goes as planned in a couple weeks I'll have interco super swampers on f-11 wheels converting over too 17mm, gonna put my trenchers on my gf's slash. What mods are done too it?

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    I do like the 17mm. Seems it takes more to strip a rim. Currently it's got a fan on the motor and esc. Upgraded driveshafts and that's it. I'm tempting a new motor set up. Possibly a castle creation. Not doing a arms just yet till I break one!

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post
    I do like the 17mm. Seems it takes more to strip a rim. Currently it's got a fan on the motor and esc. Upgraded driveshafts and that's it. I'm tempting a new motor set up. Possibly a castle creation. Not doing a arms just yet till I break one!
    Heard a lot of bad things about integy, but as long as their working I wouldn't replace em. I run mips front/rear, along with the 2400kv traxxas funny car motor, which is made by castle just painted blue and has traxxas on it along with a 50$ price difference. Does it have the stock velineon, if so is it a 4 pole or the old 2 pole system? Yea I've had mine for 2 months and I still have the stock a arms on it, im at the point now where I'm not upgrading anything else unless it breaks, which the a arms are pretty much the only thing that's left that hadn't been upgraded lol

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    I've bashed pretty hard and haven't had any trouble with them. I've done some reading on that motor. I'll look into it. It's velineon set up. I really don't know the difference between 2pole and 4.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    If your esc has exposed capacitors and the motor wires are braided then it's a newer 4 pole, if it doesn't have exposed capacitors and the motor wires have traxxas written on them then it's a 2 pole.
    This mine stock before I done the motor swap, notice my esc has exposed capacitors, and the motor wires are braided.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    If your esc has exposed capacitors and the motor wires are braided then it's a newer 4 pole, if it doesn't have exposed capacitors and the motor wires have traxxas written on them then it's a 2 pole.
    This mine stock before I done the motor swap, notice my esc has exposed capacitors, and the motor wires are braided.
    Also the part numbers for the newer 4 pole are 3355R for the esc and 3351R for the motor, that's also another way too tell.

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    I have 4 pole!

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post
    I have 4 pole!
    Since its a 4 pole you can run a castle motor without having too change esc's, but you'll be limited too 3s on the Vxl esc. I'm using my stock vxl with the 2400kv and has been working great for me, but eventually I'll jump on the 4s bandwagon and then I'll have too upgrade the esc, but if your planning on not going over 3s it'll work just fine.

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    Awesome. Good information. Thanks!

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    479
    Welcome to the forum. Definitely starting out with a good truck, the 17mm setup is a big bonus not to mention. Having the 4 pole is great too. Never had the old 2 pole but from what I've read the power difference in the two is pretty substantial and you have more motor options.

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    It's been tough! I'm glad I went to 17mm. Seems there is more choices of tires. I'm tempting the funny car motor but not sure yet.

    Truck also has aluminum shock caps.


    Thanks for the welcome guys!

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post
    It's been tough! I'm glad I went to 17mm. Seems there is more choices of tires. I'm tempting the funny car motor but not sure yet.

    Truck also has aluminum shock caps.


    Thanks for the welcome guys!
    No problem, what batteries are you running? If your running 2s then the stock 3500kv will do pretty good for you.

  19. #19
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    Yeah I'm on 2s right now. It's fun! Pretty good set up for bashing. Not crazy fast but I enjoy it. Tempted to go 3s, or buy that motor.

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stampede View Post
    Yeah I'm on 2s right now. It's fun! Pretty good set up for bashing. Not crazy fast but I enjoy it. Tempted to go 3s, or buy that motor.
    If you go 3s I would suggest buying that motor, or any other lower kv motor. The 3500kv doesn't really like 3s that much. You can run 3s on it, but defiently needs too be geared low( not sure what gear you have now) and would have too keep a check on temps. I ran 3s on mine stock for a couple weeks, it does ok if geared low but even then if I started bashing really hard wouldn take long for the temps too go up. Speed wise night and day difference though between 2 and 3s lol

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    479
    I ran 42.5 mph on the stock motor with the 17 tooth pinion but temps start to go up pretty fast, that was with 2s. With the 2400kv the temps won't be an issue. GeneralPede can give you the real numbers in the 2400kv setup, mine is yet to be installed. Been working too many dang hours and I don't want to tear into it feeling like I do without enough sleep. May do it tonight though.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    I ran 42.5 mph on the stock motor with the 17 tooth pinion but temps start to go up pretty fast, that was with 2s. With the 2400kv the temps won't be an issue. GeneralPede can give you the real numbers in the 2400kv setup, mine is yet to be installed. Been working too many dang hours and I don't want to tear into it feeling like I do without enough sleep. May do it tonight though.
    Been meaning too ask if you ever got that thing installed lol Too the op top speed with my 2400kv has been 47mph geared 17/54 and currently 51mph geared 19/54. On 2s geared 19/54 hit 35mph. Right now my temps are still looking very good so I may even gear up a little higher but haven't decided yet.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    479
    I bought an 18 and a 20 tooth. Unfortunately Tower didn't mail my 20, they sent me an Aluminum Spinner for an airplane instead. Guess the packaging guy was high or something. They told me to keep the spinner and that my 20 tooth was on the way so straight to eBay it went.

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    I bought an 18 and a 20 tooth. Unfortunately Tower didn't mail my 20, they sent me an Aluminum Spinner for an airplane instead. Guess the packaging guy was high or something. They told me to keep the spinner and that my 20 tooth was on the way so straight to eBay it went.
    Wow that is just crazy lol the 20T will prob be a tight fit, with my 19T even with my motor pulled back as far as it will go it still touches my spur, not tight but still makes contact with it so the 20T will most likely be a tight fit. I plan on dropping too a 52T sput and maybe going with a 21T or higher but haven't decided on that yet

  25. #25
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    6


    Here's mine. I am pretty new to it as well. Only had it a month but already have a 1/8th system in it. Hit 75.2mph once but that wasn't full throttle. Loving it

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaryabtabish View Post


    Here's mine. I am pretty new to it as well. Only had it a month but already have a 1/8th system in it. Hit 75.2mph once but that wasn't full throttle. Loving it
    Very nice p4de, what motor system is that?

  27. #27
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPede01 View Post
    Very nice p4de, what motor system is that?
    Its a 2300kv 120A system. I had to program everything to low as on default settings my pede just wont stay on the ground and flip over every 2 seconds. Its still too much power though lol. Cost me around 750$ at the moment. Still got loads left to do on it.


    Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-11-2015 at 07:03 AM.

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toomsuba, Ms
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaryabtabish View Post
    Its a 2300kv 120A system. I had to program everything to low as on default settings my pede just wont stay on the ground and flip over every 2 seconds. Its still too much power though lol. Cost me around 750$ at the moment. Still got loads left to do on it.
    I'm running 2400kv, that's more than enough for me. I don't need a system that's extremely hard too control. Yea there will always be something left too do it, even if you think your fine you'll find something too out in it
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-11-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: modified quote

  29. #29
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    Alright guys.

    My 2s lipo is dead now. Charge it and once i hook it up the light on my ecs is red. It was a cheap battery. Anyone got any links to good batteries on eBay. Also do I need the expansion holder for a bigger battery? Thanks!

  30. #30
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,968
    SPC and SMC are the best value in lipo packs right now. Good packs at fair prices with excellent customer support.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  31. #31
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    15
    Alright guys so I'm having problems with my stampede. I ordered new batteries and charged them up. I ordered new ones because I would charge my 2s and hook it up. Light would turn green and I'd run it for 1-2 minutes and then it would slow down to half speed, light would turn red like the battery was dead. So I charged it and same thing. So I that's why I ordered new batteries. Got the new batteries and same thing happens? Anyone run into this before?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •