RC Enthusiast

Power System Choices

Hey all,
    I've been a snooper on the threads for a while, trying to learn what I can a fast as I can. However, I've been fighting myself when it comes to a power system upgrade. I bought a 2wd Monster Jam stampede a couple years back, but got bored with it, so I bought a 4wd stampede VXL roller from eBay (totally a good deal) but I'm still running the 12T/XL-5 combo. I've been searching and reading up, and I have come up with a few options.
    First off, I want an ESC with LiPo cutoff/alarm, waterproof, and 2-3s capable.
    I want a 4 pole motor, and I want it reasonably fast.

I saw this hobbywing combo:

http://www.asiatees.com/display?id=9...eous&model=All

I also have read much about the fabled El Sob combo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Funny-Car-MO...3D262076193635

Which motor I faster? Also, what ESC to go with the Castle motor?

Thanks in advance!

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    skip quicrun stuff and go to the funny car motor. esc, can use the sc8 or the funny car esc. a quick reflash you have a rebranded MMP
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I don't mean to get off-topic, but can someone confirm the funny car motor's diameter? I believe it is 36 mm? Maybe this would be a suitable upgrade for my project too (Backslash STRC chassis).
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

For a few bucks more than that Quickrun you could grab one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-EZ...item4d194df207

and use it to power one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KERSHAW-DESI...item4aeb8c3ba5

That also gives you the option of 4s. I have it in my Slash geared 17/54 and it works great. On 3s it's a tick over 50 mph and never gets hot. Kershaw also has a 2400kv option if you want...both are 3674 cans with 5mm shafts.

Michaelsjo...the funny car 2400kv is a 36mm diameter that's 70mm long with a 3mm shaft.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    As a side note you might want to upgrade a few parts if you are dropping one of these systems into a brushed pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    If it was sold as a VXL roller hopefully it really is. Driveshaft should be blue anodized aluminum instead of plastic and the turnbuckles should be metal with plastic ends instead of solid plastic.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the advice everyone! It s a VXL roller, the one with the blue driveshaft and different differential ratios.

RC Enthusiast
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice everyone! It's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    For a few bucks more than that Quickrun you could grab one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-EZ...item4d194df207

and use it to power one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KERSHAW-DESI...item4aeb8c3ba5

That also gives you the option of 4s. I have it in my Slash geared 17/54 and it works great. On 3s it's a tick over 50 mph and never gets hot. Kershaw also has a 2400kv option if you want...both are 3674 cans with 5mm shafts.
    I think I'm gonna shoot for this type of combo, liking the look of that Kershaw (and the price too) my only question is, would the 2400kv be faster? I'm still a little confused about the kv rating thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Narfoxousman View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice everyone! It's much appreciated.

I think I'm gonna shoot for this type of combo, liking the look of that Kershaw (and the price too) my only question is, would the 2400kv be faster? I'm still a little confused about the kv rating thing.
    I had a funny car 2400kv geared 18/54 before I bought the Kershaw 2700kv I have geared 17/54...probably a coin flip as to which one is actually faster. now that the weather is cooler I'm gonna gear this Kershaw up a tooth or 2 just for kicks. If you're ever thinking of 4s I'd probably go 2400kv...it'll respond a little better. Either one will move your Pede just fine on 3s and not break a sweat doing it.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I had a funny car 2400kv geared 18/54 before I bought the Kershaw 2700kv I have geared 17/54...probably a coin flip as to which one is actually faster. now that the weather is cooler I'm gonna gear this Kershaw up a tooth or 2 just for kicks. If you're ever thinking of 4s I'd probably go 2400kv...it'll respond a little better. Either one will move your Pede just fine on 3s and not break a sweat doing it.
    Cool, thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna try 4s, I mean, why not? Considering the 2700kv is also 4s capable, and a fair bit cheaper, I'm going to swing for it. Thanks a million for the advice!

Yep...gonna hit this 2700kv with 4s sometime myself. I have 2 Traxxas 2s/4200mah packs and a series connector. Just need a bit of time to fab up my batt hold down. I gotta say that so far I'm very happy with the Kershaw, runs good,makes plenty of power and stays cool. Some decent comments over on URC also..a few guys are running it and are happy. Good luck and post back your thoughts.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl