Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61

    Rally to XO-1 GT

    Hey guys, I know this has been done many times before, but I finally got the time to build an XO-1 GT using the lcg chassis and XO-1 parts. I have the porsche gt body on and also modified a 360mm wheelbase Audi R8 body to fit. It doesn't fit perfectly but its good enough for me. I wish I could build a 360mm XO-1 wheelbase using the XO-1 aluminum chassis like a lot of people on here have done, but I don't have the skills or the tools to cut. Anyways, here is my project. Enjoy.









    Last edited by bryguy81; 10-12-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    That looks good. You did a really nice job there like where you put the rx box. Yeah I agree the 360 Audi doesn't fit perfect. Maybe if it was a clear body and had to cut the wheels out. The modified xo1 chassis @360mm I've only seen done once maybe twice if I dug hard enough. There's a few on here that's 325mm with the xo1 chassis myself included. The person who got me thinking of doing one is the same that did the 360mm and he no longer gets on here. It was pretty easy just need two chassis, one to make a mock up of the front curves and where the new holes will go for the side plates, steer servo housing, and front bulkhead. I'm actually putting it all back together since I wrecked my lcg chassis.

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61
    Hey thanks for the comments...The guy who did the 360mm on here did a really awesome job cutting the chassis. Maybe I'll try it one day and get two chassis to measure and cut. I just don't have the right tools so I know it won't look as clean as some of the chassis done here. Are you going to cut out a 360mm or a 325mm chassis? I saw your build of the gt8, awesome job building and cutting the chassis. I would totally pay you to cut the chassis for me.
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    This is an honest question. I'm curious, what's the point over just running an xo-1? Seems like there's just about as much money invested.

    I bought an xo-1 and turned it into a short course truck. I'm sure many people wondered what's the point in that, so I'm not knocking it.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    Hey thanks for the comments...The guy who did the 360mm on here did a really awesome job cutting the chassis. Maybe I'll try it one day and get two chassis to measure and cut. I just don't have the right tools so I know it won't look as clean as some of the chassis done here. Are you going to cut out a 360mm or a 325mm chassis? I saw your build of the gt8, awesome job building and cutting the chassis. I would totally pay you to cut the chassis for me.
    I only done the 325. I was going to try the 360 but there's not very many body choices. If and when your ready just send me the chassis and I could cut it up. Jigsaw and file was a good friend in that build I did lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    This is an honest question. I'm curious, what's the point over just running an xo-1? Seems like there's just about as much money invested.

    I bought an xo-1 and turned it into a short course truck. I'm sure many people wondered what's the point in that, so I'm not knocking it.
    I did it for few reasons well there's more then a few. Not awhole lot of people has done it. It's something that I've done by hand (time and work). Like how you made it into a mt which Not awhole lot of people has done either. The diffusers and side plates fits better. Plus at the time I was able to fit as tall of a gear I wanted without cutting up the lcg chassis. Then of course body selection. Not a lot of body choices for xo1. There's what maybe less then a hand full of bodies to choose from.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    I only done the 325. I was going to try the 360 but there's not very many body choices. If and when your ready just send me the chassis and I could cut it up. Jigsaw and file was a good friend in that build I did lol
    Thanks for the offer, I'm gonna try to cut the chassis once I have some time with my jigsaw and file...let's see how it turns out haha

    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    This is an honest question. I'm curious, what's the point over just running an xo-1? Seems like there's just about as much money invested.

    I bought an xo-1 and turned it into a short course truck. I'm sure many people wondered what's the point in that, so I'm not knocking it.
    I had a XO-1 before and didn't like the way it handled so I sold it. I don't do speed runs and don't have a track near by for it. I just wanted something that handles well for parking lot and neighborhood runs. I really like the way the XO-1 looks, especially with the side panels, front bumper and rear diffuser.

    As for cost, I have most the of the XO-1 parts already, and an extra mamba system. I got the 4x4 lcg chassis for free from my friend. I see your point in amount of money invested in building vs. buying an XO-1 if you don't have the parts already. However, I enjoy building rc cars. Honestly, I like building rc cars more than running them. It's my way for reducing stress after a long day of work
    Last edited by bryguy81; 10-13-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I'm gonna try to cut the chassis once I have some time with my jigsaw and file haha
    No problem. If you need help just ask anytime

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I'm gonna try to cut the chassis once I have some time with my jigsaw and file...let's see how it turns out haha



    I had a XO-1 before and didn't like the way it handled so I sold it. I don't do speed runs and don't have a track near by for it. I just wanted something that handles well for parking lot and neighborhood runs. I really like the way the XO-1 looks, especially with the side panels, front bumper and rear diffuser.

    As for cost, I have most the of the XO-1 parts already, and an extra mamba system. I got the 4x4 lcg chassis for free from my friend. I see your point in amount of money invested in building vs. buying an XO-1 if you don't have the parts already. However, I enjoy building rc cars. Honestly, I like building rc cars more than running them. It's my way for reducing stress after a long day of work
    Well, when I mentioned money spent, that point was really only intended because I assumed that the longer xo1 would handle better. I was sorta thinking why invest similar money for an inferior handling vehicle.

    But, I've spent zero time running onroad vehicles. I guess that assumption was wrong . I guess the shorter chassis does turn better.

    And, you should try finding a truck body to fit the xo-1!

    Aww shoot. I just now actually clicked the thumbnails to figure out yours utilized the slash chassis instead of a cut down xo-1 chassis. Doh!

    That's where my guesstimate came from that it costed similar to an xo. Same chassis, mm, etc.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 10-14-2015 at 04:20 AM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    I had a XO-1 before and didn't like the way it handled so I sold it. I don't do speed runs and don't have a track near by for it. I just wanted something that handles well for parking lot and neighborhood runs. I really like the way the XO-1 looks, especially with the side panels, front bumper and rear diffuser.

    As for cost, I have most the of the XO-1 parts already, and an extra mamba system. I got the 4x4 lcg chassis for free from my friend. I see your point in amount of money invested in building vs. buying an XO-1 if you don't have the parts already. However, I enjoy building rc cars. Honestly, I like building rc cars more than running them. It's my way for reducing stress after a long day of work
    Did you have the high gear aluminum drag link. Tat made a difference in mine. I thought it was cheaper for me to build mine then it was to buy an actual xo1

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    looks great! i might have to make some design changes to my setup after seeing this.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Did you have the high gear aluminum drag link. Tat made a difference in mine. I thought it was cheaper for me to build mine then it was to buy an actual xo1
    No I did not have the high gear aluminum drag link. I was having a difficult time trying to keep the XO-1 from swaying at high throttle. It's not made for my style of driving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    looks great! i might have to make some design changes to my setup after seeing this.
    Thanks...I thought you had a great idea in cutting the rear of of the side panel instead of down the middle, making it simple. Also nice job on using the links for support, I'm gonna steal that idea if you don't mind haha
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    205
    awesome build bryguy81 I salute the first person that ever come up with this mod

    here's the 360mm XO-1 GT pic that I save from huma.....naon as my inspiration to build one day

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61
    Thanks....wow huma was an inspiration to us all. I love the 360mm bodies available. One day I will cut the 360mm chassis so I could use that corvette, Audi R8 or Aston Martin body.
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    Thanks....wow huma was an inspiration to us all. I love the 360mm bodies available. One day I will cut the 360mm chassis so I could use that corvette, Audi R8 or Aston Martin body.
    I like the spec cepto body has. Deltaplastik has a 2mm Mclauren body for 360mm WB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    awesome build bryguy81 I salute the first person that ever come up with this mod

    here's the 360mm XO-1 GT pic that I save from huma.....naon as my inspiration to build one day
    I think huma had inspired quit a few of us with a lot of his builds. You guys keep talking about 360 WB is going to make me think of building one again (I haven't yet). I thought about it awhile back just never did and lost the thought of it lol
    Last edited by Er33; 10-16-2015 at 09:25 AM.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier RadReptiles831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    awesome build bryguy81 I salute the first person that ever come up with this mod

    here's the 360mm XO-1 GT pic that I save from huma.....naon as my inspiration to build one day
    Lol....Pedro. I think you could do it just as nice

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by bryguy81 View Post
    No I did not have the high gear aluminum drag link. I was having a difficult time trying to keep the XO-1 from swaying at high throttle. It's not made for my style of driving.
    What else do you like better about the way it drives or handles compared to the XO-1? I have zero problems with my XO-1 now that I installed TSM in it. I just wish I could race it around a banked track more to get the hang of it.

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    What else do you like better about the way it drives or handles compared to the XO-1? I have zero problems with my XO-1 now that I installed TSM in it. I just wish I could race it around a banked track more to get the hang of it.
    TSM will help you with handling. I started the build when TSM wasn't available. The xo-1 was not made for my style of driving. I don't have a large enough area to get it up to speed. I like to punch full throttle and go from stand still and the short chassis allows the car to stay straight. Also has better cornering than the xo-1. I can race with my friends in a parking lot with the rally gt, couldn't do it with the xo-1 because it sways and spins out of control when accelerating too fast.
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    My rally doesn't go straight when accelerating hard. It was first that the rear was bottoming out now the rear suspension is too stiff trying to keep it from bottoming out. Maybe I need xo1 tires.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61
    I use erevo springs on my rally. It's a bit stiff but seems to be working fine. I can pull wheelies without bottoming out and the car still goes straight. The xo-1 tires are wider so that might help with it going straight. So far so good.
    Summit Dual 700HO/Tekin/MM2
    Emaxx 1717
    XO-1 GT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •