Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421

    From caster block install

    Hi, I have aluminum front caster blocks coming, but I have plastic steering blocks. My question is, do I need loctite on it using plastic steering blocks?
    Last edited by RobertZ311; 10-14-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    Bash the Slash!

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,198
    I have plastic steering knuckles and aluminum C hubs on my daughter's LCG Slash 4x4. It seems like it will work well. I am close to having it running
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have plastic steering knuckles and aluminum C hubs on my daughter's LCG Slash 4x4. It seems like it will work well. I am close to having it running
    Oops. Sorry, my phone auto corrected loctite to picture. Do I need loctite on the screw because it is going into the plastic steering block?
    Bash the Slash!

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    70
    I thought loctite on a screw going into plastic caused degrading issues with the plastic? I could be wrong but that's what I remember reading somewhere.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by tnafe View Post
    I thought loctite on a screw going into plastic caused degrading issues with the plastic? I could be wrong but that's what I remember reading somewhere.
    Yes that's why I'm asking, it goes in metal AND plastic.
    Bash the Slash!

  6. #6
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    I thought I tried this, aluminum blocks and plastic spindles, and thought there was something wrong and they don't mate properly. In any case, my aluminum blocks broke pretty quickly (both sides) and I never bought them again.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    56
    Just locktite threads going into metal not plastic. Plastics will hold the screw from backing out but if it get loose and backs out I put a small amount of white pipe tape on the threads to keep them from spinning.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,198
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I thought I tried this, aluminum blocks and plastic spindles, and thought there was something wrong and they don't mate properly. In any case, my aluminum blocks broke pretty quickly (both sides) and I never bought them again.
    Do you mean the C hubs or steering knuckles? On the 2wd Slash I know exactly what the steering blocks are. On the Slash 4x4 the front end is C hubs and steering knuckles if I'm not mistaken.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    So do I loctite or not?
    Bash the Slash!

  10. #10
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Do you mean the C hubs or steering knuckles? On the 2wd Slash I know exactly what the steering blocks are. On the Slash 4x4 the front end is C hubs and steering knuckles if I'm not mistaken.
    Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but Traxxas calls the outer part (squarish thing that moves up and down) the caster block. That's what I meant by aluminum block. The inside part that moves with the axle in it I refer to as the spindle, I think that's the automotive term:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_%28automobile%29

    I see that Traxxas calls it the steering block. OP got it right!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  11. #11
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ311 View Post
    So do I loctite or not?
    No. As long as it's threaded into the plastic, it is not supposed to move.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    No. As long as it's threaded into the plastic, it is not supposed to move.
    Ok, thanks for the straight answer.
    Bash the Slash!

  13. #13
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Never use loctite metal to plastic! Only metal to metal.

    if you have issues screws backing out from plastic you can use litte ca-glue.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but Traxxas calls the outer part (squarish thing that moves up and down) the caster block. That's what I meant by aluminum block. The inside part that moves with the axle in it I refer to as the spindle, I think that's the automotive term:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_%28automobile%29

    I see that Traxxas calls it the steering block. OP got it right!
    I call that a steer knuckle. The piece that goes through the knuckle that holds the wheel hub on I call that a spindle. Mostly found on trailers and 2wd vehicles. I might be wrong on terminology but that's what I call both pieces
    Last edited by Er33; 10-15-2015 at 05:48 PM.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421


    Got everything on and drove it. Feels nice. Thanks guys!
    Bash the Slash!

  16. #16
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    The red looks good!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier RobertZ311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    The red looks good!
    Thanks!
    Bash the Slash!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •