Thread: Help Again

RC Racer

Help Again

Hello, I have a quick question. I was taking apart my slash and I got to my ring gear, which seemed cool at first, but not right now. I was turning the arms on the slash and I was curious to see what happened when I held it. I held one arm and moved my spur gear back and forth, and it was not moving when I was holding it. My slash is supposed to be a 4 wheel drive car and when I hold one arm for the wheel, it doesn't move. That means going offloading is pointless. What part should I replace? Because it isn't working very well at all, and I have some money to spare, so I want to upgrade now...

Update: the part number is the rear driveshaft arm, and it won't spin if I hold it in place, which a 4 wheel drive should be able to bypass, and not get stuck...
    Last edited by Doogamaster2817; 10-18-2015 at 06:28 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogamaster2817 View Post
    Hello, I have a quick question. I was taking apart my slash and I got to my ring gear, which seemed cool at first, but not right now. I was turning the arms on the slash and I was curious to see what happened when I held it. I held one arm and moved my spur gear back and forth, and it was not moving when I was holding it. My slash is supposed to be a 4 wheel drive car and when I hold one arm for the wheel, it doesn't move. That means going offloading is pointless. What part should I replace? Because it isn't working very well at all, and I have some money to spare, so I want to upgrade now...

Update: the part number is the rear driveshaft arm, and it won't spin if I hold it in place, which a 4 wheel drive should be able to bypass, and not get stuck...
    A little confused here. What arm are you referring to. A arm, driveshaft, or outdrive (comes off the diff).
    If your talking about holding the driveshaft or even a wheel in place while trying to move the truck. That shaft or wheel will not move if held in place. The internals of the differential allows this to happen. This is where diff fluid comes into play. The thinner the fluid the easier it is to spin one wheel then the other. The thicker the fluid gets a little harder but is still able to spin one wheel faster then other. The only way you can get that shaft or wheel to spin when holding it is if you use a locker or jb weld the internal gears
    Last edited by Er33; 10-18-2015 at 06:44 PM.

RC Racer
    The overdrive is my problem, the one connected to the housing. It doesn't have an wheels on it and when I grab onto it, it doesn't move that well. I don't know what it is, for it be a stripped gear, the differential cup, or who knows what. That's what I'm trying to get at here

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah the part that your drive shaft connects to. It's not going to move if you hold it in place the internals won't allow it. Does it move when you have it free
    Do you have a pic? If we're not on same page as to which part your talking about.

Take a picture, because you're calling the parts something different than what other people call them. As a result, I can't figure out what you're talking about.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    I will take a picture but how do I post it? I'm still new to it...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Photo bucket is one way. Or the one I like and is super easy is tapatalk app on phone

Check here:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...sting-Tutorial

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your pictures!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Ok, here is the online image. This is the part that I was holding when in was spinning my ring gear. When I grab on to one side or both for this part, I spin it and it doesn't move, it just stays put when I hold it and spin the gear. Sorry for the bad picture, but I can't get some good pictures of it, so the part I circled is the part I held.

If you hold the metal gear and spin the outdrive cup(pictured) the other side outdrive cup should spin in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by thesmogman; 10-19-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Ok, so are you saying that when you hold the cv axle still and spin the ring gear that the cv doesn't try to move?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Ok, so are you saying that when you hold the cv axle still and spin the ring gear that the cv doesn't try to move?
    YES! That's what I've been trying to get out! What can I do to fix it, and what parts do I need because I want to get my slash fixed again, because I love RC racing. And please tell me soon, because I need to order a boatload of parts, so please tell me soon. Thanks!
    Last edited by Doogamaster2817; 10-19-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Well, before you open the wallet up open up the diff. Take the four small screw's off and open the diff.

You probably need the diff cup and the spider gears that are inside.

This would be a good time to upgrade your diff with an XO-1 diff too. If you need the part numbers let us know.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post
    Well, before you open the wallet up open up the diff. Take the four small screw's off and open the diff.

You probably need the diff cup and the spider gears that are inside.

This would be a good time to upgrade your diff with an XO-1 diff too. If you need the part numbers let us know.
    Could I have all the part numbers please thank you. Can you also last all of them because I need to make a list. Thank you so much!

Ok,

6882x is the spider gears with the I-bar
    3978 is the diff cup with side plates and seals.

You will use your metal ring gear and the I-bar only goes in one way. Fit the I-bar into the diff cup first so you know which way is goes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Help Again

Before you go out and buy stuff that you might not need. So we now know what your holding while trying to spin the ring gear or slipper clutch. If you leave that shaft alone and spin the opposite side does the one side you was holding move in opposite direction while holding on to the ring gear. Or if its all put together you should be able to lift those wheels up and spin one side and the other side spins in opposite direction one full axle must be touching ground while doing this. Is it just this one side or have you tried all the other wheels.
    These 4x4 are different then a 1:1. These have more of an open diff where as 1:1 has a LSD (limited slip diffs) or locking diffs.
    You can tune your diffs to act differently.
    Here's a video of me holding one wheel at a time and it doesn't move while I'm giving throttle and spinning one wheel while the other spins in opposite direction. This is done after I rebuilt the diffs last night 60/100. While doing this I felt more resistance in the rear then I did the front due to the thicker fluid

Me doing it this way is the same as if I was holding the axle part. Let me know if this is what's going on with yours
    Last edited by Er33; 10-19-2015 at 11:31 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Before you go out and buy stuff that you might not need. So we now know what your holding while trying to spin the ring gear or slipper clutch. If you leave that shaft alone and spin the opposite side does the one side you was holding move in opposite direction while holding on to the ring gear. Or if its all put together you should be able to lift those wheels up and spin one side and the other side spins in opposite direction one full axle must be touching ground while doing this. Is it just this one side or have you tried all the other wheels.
    These 4x4 are different then a 1:1. These have more of an open diff where as 1:1 has a LSD (limited slip diffs) or locking diffs.
    You can tune your diffs to act differently.
    Here's a video of me holding one wheel at a time and it doesn't move while I'm giving throttle and spinning one wheel while the other spins in opposite direction. This is done after I rebuilt the diffs last night 60/100. While doing this I felt more resistance in the rear then I did the front due to the thicker fluid

Me doing it this way is the same as if I was holding the axle part. Let me know if this is what's going on with yours
    Ok, for this, look at my previous post on the first page. It shows what I am holding. I think it's something called the CV and when I hold it, one side moves while this side stays still. It's the part of the "cv" that is attached to the housing of the ring gear or "differential housing". When I take this housing off, they are the two "arms" that are hanging off, once I slid the outer part of the "arms" off of it, so I could make it easier to use. I opened the ring gear box and held one arm, curious to see what would happen. Once I held ONE arm, I was surprised that it did not move, when I knew it was supposed to withstand any force holding it, and I was shocked that it did the opposite. It stayed still when I held it and just clarifying, I detached the differential housing from the actual car. So I'm wondering what part (if you can get part number that would be great ) and also if I do not need to buy any parts, on the rare occasion, what part would I have to change or modify inside of the car? Thank you!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok, for this, look at my previous post on the first page. It shows what I am holding. I think it's something called the CV and when I hold it, one side moves while this side stays still. It's the part of the "cv" that is attached to the housing of the ring gear or "differential housing". When I take this housing off, they are the two "arms" that are hanging off, once I slid the outer part of the "arms" off of it, so I could make it easier to use. I opened the ring gear box and held one arm, curious to see what would happen. Once I held ONE arm, I was surprised that it did not move, when I knew it was supposed to withstand any force holding it, and I was shocked that it did the opposite. It stayed still when I held it and just clarifying, I detached the differential housing from the actual car. So I'm wondering what part (if you can get part number that would be great ) and also if I do not need to buy any parts, on the rare occasion, what part would I have to change or modify inside of the car? Thank you!
    Have you tried holding the other side. Does this part move if you let go of it?
    Ok here's a list of how it goes.
    Inside diff cup you have spider gears and out drive gears (what you was holding onto) then attached to those are the cvds, then hexs, then wheel. Holding onto anything attached to out drive will have same results.
    Here's something to try and do. If it's the rear area you have torn apart then hold a front wheel or cvd and move your slipper clutch and see what happens

If you would please post a picture of exactly the problem is we could do a better job of helping you resolve the problem. You have had my attention on this and I want to see you happy with your truck.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you would please post a picture of exactly the problem is we could do a better job of helping you resolve the problem. You have had my attention on this and I want to see you happy with your truck.
    A video would be better I think.