RC Racer

Hobbywing SCT Pro C2 or the CC SCT Race Pro

So my 4 pole Velinion system is going into the wife's Sl4sh roller I picked up last week, so I need a new ESC and motor. I think I have narrowed my search down to these two, the Hobbywing SCT Pro C2 or the CC SCT Race Pro. I race and bash so 2s limit at the track. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

I would definitely get the Hobbywing. Better programming (9 levels of punch vs. 5 levels, 8 levels of timing vs. 3!!!, 8 levels of drag brakes vs. 5, etc. etc.). Also, the HW BEC is 3A, I have no idea what the CC is, they don't even list the specs.

The Castle stuff is really geared towards bashing, and the HW stuff for racing.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    this is the one the i would recommend HIGHLY as i am running this currently. It is very easy to tune with the lcd programer and the real up side is it does not need a computer to tune it, it is a full function tuner right there pitside.
    http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/produ...-pro-esc-black plus the HW sct pro can use a wider range of motors than my CC SCT setup and the hobbywing is less money has a 180 day warranty no questions!! It is a real powerhouse

RC Racer
    Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. The CC combo uses the Mamba Max Pro ESC so it has the switchable BEC running from 5-7.2 volts. Should probably be okay there, have a glitch buster if not. The programability and slight price avdvantage are certainly pluses for the HW. The CC is an American company, the MMP can run sensored or sensor less, can handle 2s to 6s, and you get a free Castlelink with a voucher that comes in the box. The 200 kV difference in the 2 motors is negligible. Still undecided between sensored or sensorless. I understand that sensored will run hotter and will cog less at slower speeds, but I haven't really had any issue with this in the velinion system. I considered Tekin as an option. It is well represented at the tracks, but I really don't want to spend twice as much as I only race for fun at the club level.

Realsickclown - is you cc setup the sidewinder or the MMP and which motor are you running with it?
    Last edited by JETSETMafia; 10-26-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

Nobody who actually races at a pro level runs sensorless... I kind of think that that is MMP bs personally. The HW will run sensorless as well.

MMP has 5-7.2 BEC, that's fine, but it's the amps that they don't publish and is what you need to look for. I know the Sidewinder has a weak amp BEC and requires a glitch-buster, so that's why I'm a little unsure if the MMP is better. Not sure if Castle fixed that.

The only advantage I see to the MMP is that it's waterproof(?) and a US company.

The MMX is waterproof, can run sensored or sensorless, 2S to 6S capable, and BEC is 5.5 to 8.0V (4.5A continuous with 8A peak... still not that strong...).
    Last edited by Squeegie; 10-26-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    The problem I have with the MMX is that if I am going to spend that much for an ESC, I might as well go to the Tekin RX8 Gen2 or the Team Orion Vortex R10.1. I was concerned with warranty claims for HW, has anyone had experience with this?
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

I don't buy super-expensive electronics because you'll probably crash it, or cross up the wires and burn it out, or you'll accidentally break off a capacitor or a receiver wire will get yanked out of the side or something will get jammed in the fan and it overheats or you drip extra solder into the board or a million other things that can go wrong in a car that's getting crashed all the time into walls, jumps, etc.

I mean, you can buy expensive stuff, and if you have the money that's great. It just doesn't work out for me and my finances and what I'm looking for.

If I were going to race, I would either get a Novak or a Tekin. I have heard that Hobbywing has next to no customer service.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I've never owned one, but if I raced, I'd get a Tekin.

If I ever race, it will be tekin and orion
    Live life to the fullest

And mgm systems...
    Live life to the fullest

Guys, a bunch of the Orion's are rebranded Hobbywing's...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...orion-r10.html

I think the Novak is probably as well. The Novak program card looks almost identical to the HW one.

Novak card:

HW card:

I think the program cards were co-produced but the vortex sytems are Orions;

I am even tempted to use an MMP in the sc category if it is roar approuved,I am sure may do well, and has sensored capabalities just like the MMX
    Last edited by Jezza; 10-27-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Team Orion is on par with Tekin as far as price point, which is more than I'd care to spend. As has been discussed at great length on many forums, there are far more brands of RC components than there are manufacturers. I spent a good deal of time researching and reaching out to others while in a horrifically boring meeting today. I am hearing more and more good things about the Hobbywing. No one said anything bad about CC, don't get me wrong. But those with an opinion on the HW had a lot more to say than I have one and like it. Those that did have issues in the last year didn't have anything bad to say about support. since FalconSekido is the North American distributor, they just requested an RA, sent it in, and were taken care of quickly. In most cases they paid a "reasonable" repair fee and got an extended warranty on the repair. One said they shipped him a new one the day after they received his burnt ESC.. The more I'm researching, the more I am leaning that direction. still researching. Will likely make a decision by the end of the week. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming, especially if you have suggestions on other options.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

RC Racer
    Just took a look at MGM. They sure do make some cool stuff. I will revisit them after I win the lotto. And I thought Tekin and Orion were pricey.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

I really like my SC8 WP but my initial experinece did not excite me as much as my CC rigs and the dtx 3174 Onyx combo I had, which is also a very nice set up.

I now like the hw esc I got but have not really thought of racing with it. I compared it with my MMP then, with the same motor and geared the same then, the hw SC8 WP went into thermal mode fatsere then I had anticipated where a the MMP I had under the same environment and settings hadno probs.

With my El Sob special motor, she does very well though.
    Last edited by Jezza; 10-27-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Look at the HW xr8. A lot of racers are putting these in 1/8 in truggys and buggys. They are new so time will tell if their reliable. I have 2 HWsctpro and two tekin rx8g2 and prefer the tekin. Smoother powerband, data logging and 7.4 bec.
    slash 4x4

i use to have MMPs in 3 rigs, now i have all tekin and HW and have never looked back.

Castle MMp's as far as I know are still notorious for weak becs, at least the five I run stink, they all have 10 amp external bec's. They will take 100 amp's all day, this was read from some geeks that tested them, I have also seen them rated at 100amps here and there.
    That said castle claims 70amps.
    There C,S is excellent.
    I've only had one experience with HW that ended poorly, this can happen with any company, I have heard they are doing much better then before, both with quality and C,S, always good to hear.
    I would definitely get the Hobbywing. Better programming (9 levels of punch vs. 5 levels, 8 levels of timing vs. 3!!!, 8 levels of drag brakes vs. 5, etc. etc.). Also, the HW BEC is 3A, I have no idea what the CC is, they don't even list the specs
    I have to assume this is with a programming card and not the castle link which has far more adjust ability then either the cc card or hw card.
    I personally am pretty much a castle tekin fella but would have no problem giving the newer HW stuff a try, in fact I would like to.
    Look at the HW xr8. A lot of racers are putting these in 1/8 in truggys and buggys. They are new so time will tell if their reliable. I have 2 HWsctpro and two tekin rx8g2 and prefer the tekin. Smoother powerband, data logging and 7.4 bec.
    The Gen 2 RX-8 is one sweet esc, I have the start power set so low my nonsensored cc 2200kv takes of so smooth it never fail to impress me.
    Then again for $200 it should stand tall on the list.
    In truth one should say over $200 with the hot wire.
    I have a slight inside track now , I can get them at a much more reasonable price but still not cheap by any means.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Now another friend has thrown me a curve ball. Any one use the Shuur Speed motors? He suggested the XR8plus and the Shuur Speed SCT. Definitely more expensive than my original 2 options, but that combination apparently is a track slayer. So many options, so little time.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

RC Competitor
    Hobbywing is hit and miss. I have the sc8 and love it on 4s. Had it for 5 months now and is great!! Cheap and has lots of tuning. Would bye again!!!!

RC Racer
    After much research I have decided to go with the HW Xerun SCT Pro with the 4000 kV motor. Should be here Friday or Monday. Will update when it arrives. Decided to start doing a few build up videos of my slashes. Thanks everyone for the valuable input.
    Last edited by JETSETMafia; 11-03-2015 at 12:18 PM.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSETMafia View Post
    After much research I have decided to go with the HW Xerun SCT Pro with the 4000 kV motor. Should be here Friday or Monday. Will update when it arrives. Decided to start doing a few build up videos of my slashes. Thanks everyone for the valuable input.

I just got a Tekno and put that exact setup in the truck and love it. Smooth nice great and the little LCD screen to see everything its so easy to program. And if you link to the ESC you can plug in where the fan does and don't have to dig into the receiver box if its sealed... I also have the 4700kv motor for bigger tracks and I run both motors on 2s since I race and they are both a beast and heat is not an issue.
    Last edited by Taz169; 11-03-2015 at 02:26 PM.

RC Racer
    So I did get the system installed. Unfortunately I have not really been able to test or tune at all. Back surgery scheduled for this Thursday, so this install was done over the course of several days. Will update the thread once I am able to actually run it.

Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

Good luck on your surgery!
    Hope all works out as planned and that you have a speedy recovery!

RC Racer
    Thanks Squeegie. It's been a long time coming. Avoided for 10 years. Old body just not recovering anymore. Too bad the drywall tape and shoogoo trick won't work here.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

Haha! I wish drywall tape and shoe goo worked on our old bodies.
    If it did, I would fix my left knee once and for all! Been avoiding that for about 25 years!
    I finally have an automatic transmission car and could drive while recovering.
    Maybe I'll get it done next year...

RC Racer
    My right shoulder and left knee led me to an automatic several years ago too. Old is getting annoying.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh