Thread: Impressive carb

RC Racer

Impressive carb

Just put on the Losi 3.4 carb, and I'm extremely pleased with it. Ran the Revo for about an hour and a half. Never bogged down or shut off on me once, and it idles all day long smooth. Im 3n1/2 turns out on HSN, and around 4n1/2 on LSN. I really like that I can make adjustments without it shutting off. I am having a problem with keeping the clutchbell on tho. Looked at it yesterday when I was finishing up and I lost the front cbell bearing, washer and E-clip. Any of y'all had this problem?? It's happened twice now in a month. Crank is true from what I can tell. And the e clip is new.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Was it a straight bolt on? No other modifications needed?

My current 3.3 is blown at the moment however looking at replacement options at the moment.

On your clutch bell E-clip if they aren't seated properly they will pop back off. I have yet to have one come off, granted I never reuse one, if I pull it off I replace it with a new one.

RC Racer
    The carn needed some slight sanding on the base where it slides into the block. I used 1500 grit and it still took a slight amount of pressure to get it to seat. The slide arm on the LSN needed to have some material removed too. I shaved it down a little with a Dremel tool sand disk. I just can't get over how much better the 3.3 runs with a better carb. It's like night and day. I put a new washer on the clutchbell with E-clip and its holding up so far. Ran for an hour today.

RC poster
    Hey, I am thinking of buying a revo 3.3 over the winter. I want to know if you can run a revo/nitro rc in the snow, because where I live, we get a ton of it. Also, can I break in a nitro engine when it is 30 degrees outside? I need to know because I may reconsider getting a revo 3.3 If I can't run it when I get it. Also, how does the 3.3 revo drive. I've only driven 1 once, and I didn't get to experience it at speed. Also, is it worth 600+ dollars? I've heard the slayer pro 4x4 is based off the revo and it is 150 dollars cheaper. Thanks!

RC Racer
    U should be able to run in snow. Just make sure u do a good thorough cleaning. I use a compressor to blow off the majority of dirt ect. Then disassemble, wipe down with wd40 real good on all the frame, a-arms and lube the u joints. U could break in an engine in that weather but it will b difficult because the cold. U want to keep the engine temp above 200 during this process. Use aluminum foil to block some of the cooling head fins if needed, but monitor the temp. Ive been very pleased with my Revo, and would buy another one in a heartbeat. It handles pretty good out of the box for me. I would look around eBay, Amazon or Craigslist for a good buy. Hope this all helps. Let us know if u need more info. The forum has very knowledgeable members about this stuff and are here to assist.

RC poster
    Thanks. I'm new to nitro so I want to start with the revo b'cause it looks like a solid truck . I first entered rc with a slash vxl and now I mostly race my sc10 with lipos. What is the life expencenty of a 3.3 engine, I have heard other engines last around 6-8 gallons depending on how you tune it. Is this true with the trx 3.3? Also, how does the revo perform on the street. Is it better off road on a track?

RC Racer
    Your first nitro engine is the one that suffers the learning curve. Once u get down tuning, u will understand it much better. I've heard of guys that have gotten 6-8 gallons on 3.3s. I tune for good performance but still have very good smoke thought the rpm range. If u were going to serious race than u would b running a little lean. But its all up to u once u get it to how u want to run. It's good all around with handling IMO. It's all in how u tune the truck to handle for what your looking to do with it.

RC Qualifier
    I'm doing this install right now. I have the carb in the block, with it fully seated. I haven't ground down anything on the carb yet, it fell right in. I have the motor in the truck and when I pull the throttle it opens, however it doesn't close, it gets stuck. Would sanding down the arm on the carb help? A stiffer return spring? It looks like it is going full throttle. Just want it to close before I fire it up and see how it runs.

RC Racer
    U definitely want that arm to close to idle. Sounds like a binding issue is going on with the carb slide mixer arm. U will have to adjust here and there to get the position points for a smooth cycling throttle. On mine I used a Dremel and sanded the arm that came with the carb. Then I made the gap on the mixer arm a slight bit bigger and its smooth all the way now. Small amount at a time, don't take off too much.

Let us know how this works for you

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PUDDNMONKEY View Post
    U definitely want that arm to close to idle. Sounds like a binding issue is going on with the carb slide mixer arm. U will have to adjust here and there to get the position points for a smooth cycling throttle. On mine I used a Dremel and sanded the arm that came with the carb. Then I made the gap on the mixer arm a slight bit bigger and its smooth all the way now. Small amount at a time, don't take off too much.

Let us know how this works for you
    I finally got some time to mess with the truck again. I found thst the bushings on the throttle arm pivot were causing my sticking throttle, I replaced them with bearings of the same size and now it's smooth as butter. I haven't had a chance to fire it up to see how it runs yet tho. Hopefully I can tonight

I just ordered one of the losi 3.4 carbs to run my 3.3 this winter. Didn't want to waste my OS21TM in cold weather. It's barely broken in. I was fed up with the 3.3 though. Hopefully the carb helps me out.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Champion
    Try the losi carb on the os. It works much better than the 11k.

Quote Originally Posted by blown68ssrs View Post
    Try the losi carb on the os. It works much better than the 11k.
    Good to know. I was using the carb from my OS18TM on my 3.3 and it really helped stabilize the tune. But, I'm thinking the smaller venturi was limiting the power output. Since the losi carb is larger than the 3.3/2.5 carb, your probably right on using it on the 21TM as well. Will see how it does on the 3.3. It's pretty easy to move the carb to the 21 next spring to give it a try. If it works well on both, I'll buy another.
    Expert rigging at it's best!