RC Racer

Wink Good and Strong...just NOT very smooth !

I've been running MIP X-Duty CVD's for a few weeks now and come to the conclusion I don't like all the slop created by the loosely fitted splined shafts, all this slop creates a few issues I believe...one being a severe vibration when the are turned to full lock in either direction, this vibration and grinding noise happens when I spin up the motor just off idle while on my pit stand and this likely isn't an issue when under load...either way, I just don't like how sloppy the fit is.

Another concern is the weight of these axels and how this additional weight could effect output shaft, wheel bearing longevity and power, think I'm gonna try a set of the Traxxas CVD's...the ones with the little rubber booties, they look pretty beefy and less maintenance is great.

Anybody wanna buy a set of you know what...

RC Competitor
    If weight is your concern I've seen the Tekno shafts recommended. I just ordered the Mip X-duty but they haven't arrived yet. So I cant say anything about them. I found the stock shafts to have a fair amount of play in the universals and vibration which i wasn't fond of.

FYI: Tekno M6 shafts broke for former member MattS... Under 4s power, at that. Lol.. Maybe 5s.. I forget
    \4$4

RC Qualifier
    I've had MIP xtra city's for 5 years. They tear through diffs like nothing else I've seen. If I were to do it over I would get the mip race duty or the teknos. Personally after owning 2 other brand trucks and seeing how the diffs are but, I wish traxxas would have gone that style.
    slash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruSound View Post
    I've been running MIP X-Duty CVD's for a few weeks now and come to the conclusion I don't like all the slop created by the loosely fitted splined shafts, all this slop creates a few issues I believe...one being a severe vibration when the are turned to full lock in either direction, this vibration and grinding noise happens when I spin up the motor just off idle while on my pit stand and this likely isn't an issue when under load...either way, I just don't like how sloppy the fit is.

Another concern is the weight of these axels and how this additional weight could effect output shaft, wheel bearing longevity and power, think I'm gonna try a set of the Traxxas CVD's...the ones with the little rubber booties, they look pretty beefy and less maintenance is great.

Anybody wanna buy a set of you know what...
    Quote Originally Posted by snowninja View Post
    I've had MIP xtra city's for 5 years. They tear through diffs like nothing else I've seen. If I were to do it over I would get the mip race duty or the teknos. Personally after owning 2 other brand trucks and seeing how the diffs are but, I wish traxxas would have gone that style.
    Same problems I had. Too heavy which tore up diff seals. I no longer use them in my truck. I still have them in my sons truck since he only drives it twice per weekend. They may come out this winter and teknos or traxxas steal splines maybe going in.

RC Racer
    I have really not run into a problem yet with my X-duty shafts as of yet. Maybe because I have only ran these since I swapped up from the stock ones after a month or so of owning my slash, but I have nothing really negative to say on them.
    They are built to take a beating, and that is why I went with them.
    The weight, I do not find too much of an issue, I compt'ed for it with the springs, but over all, building the truck to beat on a track.
    Does it run as smooth as my oldest's T4.2 ? Not even close. But, there is so much more it can do, and go where the T4.2 can not go. In the end, I suppose it is more what you are building your truck for, and the intent on it.

Just my two cents
    Sl4sh 2400kv wp-sc8

I have had my MIP X duties for a while and have never had problems with me set up, running MM 2650 on 6s geared 18/54.

Remembre it will make more noise then stock as it is metal, but the grease helps on that clucking noise. have a look at jangs reveiew onthe MIP X duties as well...

I have also used lots of grease though that is dirt magnet, but tyhe shafts should not have any slop at all, mine fits perfectly both on the erebe and slash 4x4.
    Last edited by Jezza; 10-28-2015 at 07:39 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Just got mine installed and running, and was surprised at the noise. Will be researching different lubes/greases to quiet this down. On a positive note, I didn't break a driveshaft.

I have the traxxas cvds on my rally. They are better than the x duties by far! I broke x duties at the pins regularly with 2s and a 3800kv motor. The came loose all the time and now they have a ton of slop. The traxxas cvds have held up to 6s in a 2650kv motor at 80mph almost flawlessly. I have lost one pin in close to 6 months now. I also broke one of the pieces that went onto the diff output but that was because the tire exploded. The splines fit together nicely. I have never bent any. No steering restrictions. I haven't noticed any play yet. They are light.

They are great driveshafts! I keep mine greased since they are sealed.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

I have been running the same set of Mip X-Duty axles for four years. I have not experienced any of the problems that any of you have experienced. Mine don't tear up differentials or have a lot of slop. You may want to look at how you have them assembled. The stock differentials need to be tightened down when they are new. I have had several leak on a completely stock truck.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    I have been running the traxxas CVDs for a bit now and have no complaints at all. They are quiet and have held up to hard running on an 1/8 low grip outdoor track. I don't run huge power in mine, but a friend who runs these in his backslash has had them for a year or so running 4s and he runs it hard without issue. They can be had for half retail if you shop well.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    I have had mip on my emaxx for 2yrs now running big power and have been running really nice with the occasionally pin snapping that holds them together. I have had the mip on my slash 4x4 also running big power (mm2 2200kv on 4s and sometimes 5s). They hold really on either platform.

I see this argument about weight a lot, and I think its a none issue with big power systems. As far as noise, I run metal gears so mine are already noisy rigs but I'm just used to it. If ppl are running big power its almost a must to run these mip shafts. I have twisted all 4 traxxas cvds on an emaxx which gave me an excuse to try mip. So for those not running big power systems, then perhaps the race duties or even the tekno shafts wpuld be the better buy.

RC Racer
    I'm running a stock motor on 2s so the X-Dutys might be a little overkill for me, they'll never break but likely robbing some power.

I like the XO-1 CVD's with the slightly larger 6mm stub-axels and would definitely increase durability, they'll require a bearing and hex purchase. I would like to have seen Traxxas make the Slash CVD's with the 6mm stubs and either include or sell a kit with the bearings and hex's.

If they're grinding at full lock, you can reduce your left/right EPA to reduce the throw of the servo.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    I don't think the grinding is an issue with wheels on the ground and under load, my only concern is the weight and long them effects on the diffs and bearings.

I'm going to try and fashion a spline sleeve from shrink tubing in an attempt to keep the dirt away from the spline area so I can run some grease.
    Last edited by TruSound; 10-28-2015 at 01:37 PM.

I have had my X-Duties for about 3-4 months running everything from 2s/3s, 13/54 18/54, rain, mud, dust, sad attempts at VXL style wheelies, and I just recently had an issue in which I lost a cross pin in the center of the front right shaft (ultra brain fart) and I have to order from eBay or LHS, cheap fix. I have also lost plenty of the set screws that attach to the diff outdrive, oh well, it's a wonder what actually useful locktight will do, as they normally back out after 1-2 runs with the MIP thread gel, and they stay put now. I have had great luck with MIPs,I love them!
    \4$4

RC Racer
    There's no doubt the X-duty's are an excellent upgrade and pretty much bulletproof, unfortunately what's attached to them isn't...so a reduction in weight and generally smoother operation will ease the stress on drivetrain components, I'll probably end up with the Traxxax units.

RC Racer
    Traxxas CVD's ordered, picked up a complete set off eBay, pretty good deal for the complete set...82 shipped. The feature I'm looking forward to most is being able to run them with a captured lubricant that rarely needs attention, should really smooth things out...I'll post my results once rolling. Thanks for the feedback everyone.