Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    I think the jumping has more to do with the driver than the truck. I say this because I suck at jumping and that's how my jumps look with any RC if I'm behind the wheel.

But yeah, this video is exactly why I didn't sell my brushless E-Revo to buy the X-Maxx. Completely different trucks with completely different characteristics both great fun when used for what they're good at.
    This might be true. Just, when it lands, it seems to lose all composure!

I'm the type of guy who jumps my slash off a skateboard ramp full tilt on 4s and watches it sail over my head. Haha

I still have my hopes up . After it comes out and some good experience is had, and some opinions are formulated, I hope to find I like it and get in the market for a roller to set up as I wish! 👍
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by marcogti2000 View Post
    This video has been posted like 3 times in different threads already.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    This might be true. Just, when it lands, it seems to lose all composure!
    Newbie alert.

Does it have anything to do with if throttle is off until a little after it lands?

I've got a Castle XLX and 2028 800kV on pre-order. The Dremel is warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Newbie alert.

Does it have anything to do with if throttle is off until a little after it lands?
    It can have some to do with it. For the smoothest landing you'll wanna ease back into the throttle as it touches down. But it's still very evident that that is a very soft suspension. Which of course isn't all bad. Just makes it a turd on that track. I also didn't see much in air correction. Although that can be driver error.

RC Competitor
    Newbie alert.

Seems to me that almost every video currently out is driving in sub-par wet conditions. I expect to see slight loss of control when water is involved, especially on what looks like a clay track. Clay is an interesting surface, and is very slippery when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by affinityofmist View Post
    Seems to me that almost every video currently out is driving in sub-par wet conditions. I expect to see slight loss of control when water is involved, especially on what looks like a clay track. Clay is an interesting surface, and is very slippery when wet.
    Can you guys comment in general about the best throttle management techniques - having throttle already on when landing vs pull throttle immediately after the landing?

I do enjoy the rainy videos - we get our share of snow/rain. With my X-MAXX I'll be able to run in all kinds of weather (followed by maintenance)! Can't wait!

Just experiment some. But don't be on throttle when you land. Land first, then throttle, or light throttle at most. If I've been correcting a nose dive, I still release throttle momentarily as I land.

My best advice to learn to jump is practice. Get a plastic kicker style skateboard ramp. It sounds crazy, but the higher the better. I began to develop better jumping skills once I got braver and began to jump higher and farther. It gives you more air time to work with.

RC Champion
    I'm never on the throttle when I land, broken too many shafts/axles that way.

Can you guys comment in general about the best throttle management techniques - having throttle already on when landing vs pull throttle immediately after the landing?
    You want enough throttle to match the speed the vehicle is travelling so when the tires touch down they are already going close to the same speed. makes for a smooth landing and reduces the shock to the drivetrain.

as a very rough example, say the truck is flying through the air at 30mph, and your wheels are spinning at 5mph, when they touch down they have to instantly come up to 30mph.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    You want enough throttle to match the speed the vehicle is travelling so when the tires touch down they are already going close to the same speed. makes for a smooth landing and reduces the shock to the drivetrain.

as a very rough example, say the truck is flying through the air at 30mph, and your wheels are spinning at 5mph, when they touch down they have to instantly come up to 30mph.
    We should emphasize the "flying through the air" part and not the speed at which you hit the ramp. Its important to note that a ramp is essentially redirecting energy, taking a part of your forward motion and redirecting it upwards, effectively slowing you down. Combine that with the fact that once you're in the air and the tires are unloaded, they are spinning a whole lot faster at that same throttle position then they were when racing towards the ramp. It takes a good bit of practice to determine where your throttle should be to get the smoothest landings.

Wow - great tips guys - thanks for sharing!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    I've got a Castle XLX and 2028 800kV on pre-order. The Dremel is warming up.
    I have been thinking about this post. I don't see an easy way to make it fit but the way the rear pulls apart from the center chassis, if you have access to some type of metal or carbon fiber cutting and machining tools, I can see how it would not be a far stretch to fabricate a piece to link the rear and the center chassis together to allow for the larger motor. The other option would be to fabricate the entire rear end and mate it with the center section I guess. Care to share any of your plans?

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I have been thinking about this post. I don't see an easy way to make it fit but the way the rear pulls apart from the center chassis, if you have access to some type of metal or carbon fiber cutting and machining tools, I can see how it would not be a far stretch to fabricate a piece to link the rear and the center chassis together to allow for the larger motor. The other option would be to fabricate the entire rear end and mate it with the center section I guess. Care to share any of your plans?
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be very much fun. I have some theoretical plans (in my head), but until I get my hands on the truck, I won't know for sure what will work. I'll start a new thread on the build. Gotta think of a good name now.

RC Champion
    There's going to be entirely way too many X-Maxx owners who will want something bigger (motor wise). I think traxxas will at some point come out with an extended rear end of the chassis, at least I hope they do. I'd prefer this to an extension between the center and rear chassis. Having an extra piece in there just feels like too much compromise in structural rigidity, especially for a truck as heavy as this and the torque larger motors will be putting through it.

RC Qualifier
    It makes you wonder since the truck is already is made of a lot of plastic, which parts could be made lighter aftermarket to improve the speed of the truck, and still maintain its strength. I agree that a full rear end will be ideal, but that will definitely cost more.

RC Champion
    It would certainly cost more, but if I were Traxxas, I'd figure people who already bought the truck have already invested $1k between the truck and higher capacity lipos, and are planning to invest another $400 or so for a larger motor and 8S capable ESC which means yet another investment in some 4S batteries if you don't already have them, so the cost of that rear end is probably the least expensive piece.

The rear end alone shouldn't really cost that much, it's just the chassis portion and you'd be transferring all the parts to it, the only additional piece you would need is a longer drive shaft.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    It would certainly cost more, but if I were Traxxas, I'd figure people who already bought the truck have already invested $1k between the truck and higher capacity lipos, and are planning to invest another $400 or so for a larger motor and 8S capable ESC which means yet another investment in some 4S batteries if you don't already have them, so the cost of that rear end is probably the least expensive piece.

The rear end alone shouldn't really cost that much, it's just the chassis portion and you'd be transferring all the parts to it, the only additional piece you would need is a longer drive shaft.
    Spoken like a true RC addict just like me.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier

Right. I just doubt that Traxxas will do that because the last thing they will want is to have to replace the parts under warranty in the drivetrain that break under the new power load. I think it is going to take an aftermarket vendor to make something like that, or customers. But I could be wrong, the monster truck customer base seems a lot larger than the on road customer base as far as Traxxas is concerned so maybe they will surprise us.

RC Champion
    Well hopefully someone else does if they done

RC Racer
    Some of the other vids the X Maxx looks much more aggressive than the one on the BMX track. I run my Summit on some pretty rough terrain and love its low speed crawling abilitiy. However, when running in high gear I want more speed over some ruff stuff. I think the X Maxx will have the speed, mass and stability to bash cross country over some ruff terrain. Man, I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    I think the X Maxx will have the speed, mass and stability to bash cross country over some ruff terrain. Man, I can't wait.
    My thoughts also.

I'm still a bit dissapointed that Traxxas did not install a 8S capable system in this truck. On the videos I have seen it doesn't seems to go that fast and it doesn't seem to be that crazy as an E-revo on 6S.
    Traxxas Slash 4x4 LCG, 2650kv

Quote Originally Posted by waqrrr View Post
    I'm still a bit dissapointed that Traxxas did not install a 8S capable system in this truck. On the videos I have seen it doesn't seems to go that fast and it doesn't seem to be that crazy as an E-revo on 6S.
    Having a truck this big with that kind of power is dangerous. That, and since Traxxas doesn't have 4s batteries, and running 4 2s batteries is pain, I can see why. I'm glad they didn't do 8s out of the box. Take about really expensive batteries!
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by waqrrr View Post
    It is not an E-Revo, built and run with different purpose in mind.

I'm not looking for speed, so I'll be running 4s for a while.

It is not an E-Revo, built and run with different purpose in mind.

I'm not looking for speed, so I'll be running 4s for a while.
    You'll be going back to the ol' brushed E-maxx days!

Ahh. 'Twas a simpler time...

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    You'll be going back to the ol' brushed E-maxx days!

Ahh. 'Twas a simpler time...
    I love driving my original 3906 E-Maxx, which is still brushed. It's part of why I love my X-Maxx so much.

Haha...

Going slow, it's not all that bad, right?

Haha...

Going slow, it's not all that bad, right?
    I don't care how fast it is really. I have more fun jumping, off roading, and exploring in the forest or brush personally. That's why I love my 3906 E-Maxx, and my Summit so much. My X-Maxx fits perfectly in the middle. I have on road cars to go fast. And besides, 35mph is plenty for me IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I love driving my original 3906 E-Maxx, which is still brushed. It's part of why I love my X-Maxx so much.
    I loved my old black chassis E-maxx with the orange evx. I never messed with gearing, I never tested a temperature. I just...drove.

However, these days I do like to drive 40-50 mph .

RC poster
    Hey guys I have a quick question so I just got my X-Maxx today and when driving it I noticed that when I'm easing into the throttle to go forward its fine however when I come to a stop sometimes it doesn't want to ease into reverse or won't reverse at all and than when I press it more it will reverse a lot faster than I want it to. Anyone else have this issue or know what's going on? My E-revo Brushless doesn't do this. I'm wondering if the controls on the esc are a little different?

Sounds like the Traxxas brake sensing acting up a little bit. Seems I've had some traxxas escs do that from time to time. I release the trigger, then try to reverse when it would do that.

I guess you could try reprogramming the esc and calibrating it with the transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by zkadiwal2013 View Post
    Hey guys I have a quick question so I just got my X-Maxx today and when driving it I noticed that when I'm easing into the throttle to go forward its fine however when I come to a stop sometimes it doesn't want to ease into reverse or won't reverse at all and than when I press it more it will reverse a lot faster than I want it to. Anyone else have this issue or know what's going on? My E-revo Brushless doesn't do this. I'm wondering if the controls on the esc are a little different?
    Try to recal the esc first.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910