My X-Maxx is Down.

Well guys, my X-Maxx defeated me today. Long story short it doesn't drive correctly anymore due to some freak glitch programming error of some sort.

Long story, I took my X-Maxx out to drive in the snow. Everything was working normal, but driving forward was only 50% power, and reverse was 100% power. Reverse was way overpowered, it would hit 100% power at a quarter throttle input. No big deal I thought, maybe two of the motor wire had gotten switched some how. Nope. Black was with black, blue with blue, and white with white, so that wasn't it. Ok then, I'll just re calibrate the ESC throttle. No dice. It wouldn't let me. It would flash red like it should, but when I gave it full throttle to calibrate it, it would shut off. And when it didn't shut off, the steering servo would twitch out towards full left lock. I tried calibrating it for reverse, and same thing. After messing with switching the channels on the TQI a few times and trying everything, I gave up. I even re bound the entire radio system, yet still it wouldn't correct itself.

I pulled the non TSM receiver out of my Summit so I could rule out either the receiver or radio. After I installed my Summit's TQI receiver, it worked and drove normally like it should, but only for about 10 seconds then the entire truck shut off. When I turned it back on, I had no forward at all, only 100% full power reverse. When I tried to re calibrate the ESC again it went as it should, but I would just get a quick flashing green LED code on the ESC, which means the throttle calibration is off. After resetting everything I could, the radio, ESC for what it would let me, nothing would work. Even switching back to the stock receiver and transmitter is came with didn't change anything, so that rules out the issue to a ESC fault.

My X-Maxx still drives, but everything is completely backwards. Switching two motor wires doesn't do anything either, I tried literally every single combo of tricks I could think of over the last hour and still nothing.

I'm going to pull the ESC out and try my Summit's Castle Mamba Monster 2 esc and go from there.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-05-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

Bummer reeks bad of moisture in electronics but I'm no Electrical Engineer Just Mechanical.
    Be interesting to see how the MM 2 works of for you. I've thought that as well.
    XMAXX EREVO SAVAGE Digging Ditches

Quote Originally Posted by dwilli9013 View Post
    Bummer reeks bad of moisture in electronics but I'm no Electrical Engineer Just Mechanical.
    Be interesting to see how the MM 2 works of for you. I've thought that as well.
    That's what I've been thinking. I'm going to leave the ESC and receiver in a bag of dry rice over night and see what happens. Worst that could happen is nothing so it's worth a shot.

It's important to note that an issue with the temp sensor on the motor will probably cause what you're seeing with limited forward power. The setup is designed to limit power if the motor gets too hot, or if it's not receiving a temp signal.

One of several things could have happened:
    - Bad temp sensor
    - Loose plug in the V/T slot.
    - Disconnecting the voltage tap. (Red plug must get power either from RX or main battery in order for temp sensor to work. Plug into channel 4 or 5 on RX.)

Might want to try inspecting all of that or replacing the temp sensor.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    It's important to note that an issue with the temp sensor on the motor will probably cause what you're seeing with limited forward power. The setup is designed to limit power if the motor gets too hot, or if it's not receiving a temp signal.

- Bad temp sensor
    - Disconnecting the voltage tap. (Red plug must get power either from RX or main battery in order for temp sensor to work. Plug into channel 4 or 5 on RX.)

Really? I think I just found my issue. I removed the voltage and temp sensor entirely. I pulled the temp sensor off the motor since I wasn't using the telemetry and coiled it up inside the receiver box. Yesterday when I was removing the Castle fans for snow running today I removed the voltage and temp sensor completely. since I wasn't using either of them. So are you saying the temp sensor affects the ESC performance for the motor? If I understood that correctly, that's really cool.

Things might have just got interesting...
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-05-2016 at 05:28 PM.

RC Racer
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Basically the motor's temp sensor will cause a to limit throttle input if the motor gets too hot. If the RX isn't seeing a signal from the sensor it's going to default to that "protection" mode to try and prevent damage.

If you plug the temp sensor (grey plug) into V/T and the red plug back into channel 3, 4 or 5 it should work again. If the sensor isn't on the motor it's not going to help prevent a motor overheat since it'll just read ambient temp, not motor temp.

I believe the receiver will blink red when it's in the motor thermal shutdown.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Basically the motor's temp sensor will cause a to limit throttle input if the motor gets too hot. If the RX isn't seeing a signal from the sensor it's going to default to that "protection" mode to try and prevent damage.

If you plug the temp sensor (grey plug) into V/T and the red plug back into channel 3, 4 or 5 it should work again. If the sensor isn't on the motor it's not going to help prevent a motor overheat since it'll just read ambient temp, not motor temp.

I believe the receiver will blink red when it's in the motor thermal shutdown.
    Hmmm ok that's probably my issue. I didn't know that. I thought the sensor was just installed for telemetry reasons, I didn't realize there was a safety cut off built it. That's awesome to know, I'm going to install the sensor back right away.

The receiver LED as green the entire time...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Really? I think I just found my issue. I removed the voltage and temp sensor entirely. I pulled the temp sensor off the motor since I wasn't using the telemetry and coiled it up inside the receiver box. Yesterday when I was removing the Castle fans for snow running today I removed the voltage and temp sensor completely. since I wasn't using either of them. So are you saying the temp sensor affects the ESC performance for the motor? If I understood that correctly, that's really cool.

Things might have just got interesting...
    I have a question, while I agree with everything above or at least it sounds like a possible cause but.......if it's the temp sensor why would u still have full power in reverse? Just a thought to ponder.
    Sorry I meant to quote tireslinger.
    Last edited by Maxxnutt69; 01-05-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Wrong quote

- Bad temp sensor

Nice info! Is it in the manual? Where did you find this out?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Hmmm ok that's probably my issue. I didn't know that. I thought the sensor was just installed for telemetry reasons, I didn't realize there was a safety cut off built it. That's awesome to know, I'm going to install the sensor back right away.

The receiver LED as green the entire time...
    Let us know if issue is resolved.
    A.K.A MAXX05
    1 BL Revo,Erevo,Emaxx
    4 XMAXX

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Nice info! Is it in the manual? Where did you find this out?
    He's a Traxxas employee.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    He's a Traxxas employee.
    Lol thanks

The info, tricks and tips, quick replies, support from members and a Traxxas employee is what makes this forum valuable and more positive than negative! Awesome!

Wolf, let us know your next steps!

Traxxas Employee
    Please note that you need to put the original X-Maxx RX in the truck. Its model is set to X-Maxx. Unless you programmed the Summit's RX model to X-Maxx (using a BT module and the Traxxas Link App) it won't limit the throttle when the motor gets too hot.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks tireslinger you rock. I think most of these esc troubles we read about are brought on by man ,not system.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by steveomaxx517 View Post
    Thanks tireslinger you rock. I think most of these esc troubles we read about are brought on by man ,not system.

There are some with ESC failures that are in completely stock trucks with no modifications to the truck or programming. I know there's one here on the forum that I believe was caused by user error but not all of them. I'm sure Traxxas will figure out what's causing it though and either fix it or replace them with a different ESC.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

There are some with ESC failures that are in completely stock trucks with no modifications to the truck or programming. I know there's one here on the forum that I believe was caused by user error but not all of them. I'm sure Traxxas will figure out what's causing it though and either fix it or replace them with a different ESC.
    Agreed.....

RC Competitor
    Mine did the same thing and I did zero modifications. Stock gearing, haven't even opened the receiver box. I have had great success with the Xmaxx. I have run a good amount packs threw it and love my Xmaxx. I first did all the usual stuff with no success and then I called traxxas. We went threw every thing to no avail. Traxxas rep told me to send it in for repair or replace.

A small percentage of minor issues should be expected with a new release. In no way with it sour my high opinion of this awesome design.

I can confirm that disconnecting the Temp Sensor will result in this issue...

I removed it in the midst of my Castle XL2/2028 upgrade and noticed a limited forward throttle being sent from the receiver, however reverse was un-affected. I was baffled and thought is was the ESC until a checked the logged data from the Castle ESC and saw that the input signal was being clipped.

So, I suggest checking your Temp Sensor as TireSlinger stated.
    Last edited by NBViper; 01-05-2016 at 10:31 PM.

RC Racer
    No offense to traxxas but I think a better motor/esc should have been included stock. Buy an 800 dollar truck and if the esc goes you gotta replace it with a 500 dollar castle setup. That's only 300 less than the whole original thing.

wow thanks for the info. i was having the same problems after unplugging the temp wire and forgetting where it was originally plugged in.
    X-Maxx Max6 | EB48.3 | ET48.3 | Axial Grave Digger

How much better is these Castle motors and escs compared to traxxas stock?
    I seems to cost a lot of cash , you can basicly buy a second truck to use as backup and spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxnutt69 View Post
    if it's the temp sensor why would u still have full power in reverse? Just a thought to ponder.
    Sorry I meant to quote tireslinger.
    I'm not sure of the exact reason for this, however one thing to consider is that limiting throttle in reverse will also severely limit your brakes. If this were to happen in the middle of a high speed run that could cause some ... excitement The radio system sends forward / reverse signals and the ESC decides if it's going to use the reverse input as a brakes or reverse.

Prolonged full throttle driving in reverse is also fairly difficult. The vehicle effectively has "rear steer" at that point and is easier to flip over / lose control.

It's running again! Turns out TireSlinger was right of course... I re installed the temp/voltage sensor and it's back to it's normal beastly self.

Thanks TireSlinger for all the help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I haven't been on the forums too long but over my few years I've noticed Tireslinger is VERY helpful and informative. Props to a Traxxas Employee scanning the forums and lending a helping hand.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Racer
    Post has nothing to do the original topic.
    Last edited by nixhex32; 01-06-2016 at 09:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I did the same mistake and the my Lhs shipped the reciver for evaluation

Can we find this in the manual somewhere?

RC poster
    I just experienced this same issue after unplugging temp/voltage sensor! I switched the transmitter to 70/30 and it ran fine! Tried to re-callibrate with transmitter on 50/50 and it would not calibrate! I'll retry with the sensors plugged in on 50/50.

RC Racer
    Great thread. Problem, discussion, input from users and Traxxas employee and a solution. Awesome.

RC poster
    Is there a way how to bypass it? I removed my temp sensor and now i cant get 100% throttle and i no longer have that sensor