Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8s X Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Thumbs up 8s X Maxx

When I put an order in for mine and seeing the motor in this truck looks like a Traxxas version of the Castle 1717 but with 1600kv, I will replace the stock esc for a Castle and run 8s on mine and see what happens !!
    that will bring my top speed with stock gearing upto 45-46mph but with so much more power

Who is with me on this ??
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    I'm with ya. Wonder what 4s will fit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfueled1 View Post
    I'm with ya. Wonder what 4s will fit
    In this video he shows the XMaxx can fit 8400mAh 3s packs so maybe 5000mAh 4s packs could fit in the stock locations easy?
    I hope so
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I'd imagine the battery holders could be ditched for some Velcro straps and you could run more than 5000. I have a hunch if we want run times that we have become spoiled enough to expect, we'll need more than 5000 mah with this beast!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    True, so used to 5000 packs I guess this truck enters a whole new set of rules lol

RC Competitor
    Due to the lack of traction offroad, the motor will easily over rev past its rpm limit on 8s and most likely cause damage, it was fine with the XO-1 were you'd rarely max the motor out for more than a couple seconds at 100+ mph.

Best bet is to set the throttle % down to 50% test it, then check the max rpm you are getting during normal use in the data log and slowly work your way up by increasing the throttle % till you are hitting close to max rpm just to be on the safe side.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    The mamaba monster x would be particularly useful here with the data logging. Or I guess the xlx. You could check every run and fine tune your limiting.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    The mamaba monster x would be particularly useful here with the data logging. Or I guess the xlx. You could check every run and fine tune your limiting.
    I'm thinking the XL2 so I can check the amps going through this system on 8s
    heck even on 6s it will be fun to see how the motor is running and how many amps I'm pulling
    First MiniSlash

If I were to get the X Max, I will stick one of my spare XL2 or invest in a mgm system and get a motor able to take more then 8s, it will be insane but then seeing that huge machine on steroids would be fun too....
    Live life to the fullest

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Due to the lack of traction offroad, the motor will easily over rev past its rpm limit on 8s and most likely cause damage, it was fine with the XO-1 were you'd rarely max the motor out for more than a couple seconds at 100+ mph.

Best bet is to set the throttle % down to 50% test it, then check the max rpm you are getting during normal use in the data log and slowly work your way up by increasing the throttle % till you are hitting close to max rpm just to be on the safe side.
    This is a new motor from Traxxas and just might be able to handle 8s for sure as the max rpms are not listed on this motor yet
    I will find out
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    But some of us like breaking things......

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    But some of us like breaking things......
    You have just made my day. Good job sir
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC Qualifier
    This exactly what I was thinking after I found out it was 6S
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

Looking at how the XMaxx is modularly setup, there isn't a lot of real estate for mods. I think we're going to find it very difficult to use other setups unless the new setup parts are very, very, close to the factory parts' dimensions.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Looking at how the XMaxx is modularly setup, there isn't a lot of real estate for mods. I think we're going to find it very difficult to use other setups unless the new setup parts are very, very, close to the factory parts' dimensions.
    Everything is possible, I moded a pede 4x4 and installed a castle 2200kv with a mamba monster, did the same setup on a slash 4x4, 1/10 electronics on the mini erevo, castle 2200 on a rustler, 1717 motor on erevo and emaxx.
    The modular design is great both the pede and the slash 4x4 are modular too that's nothing new to traxxas and people has done crazy mods to overkill their trucks, I don't think this will be the exception.
    I would like to see a 2028 motor with a xl2 on 8s on this beast.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    Everything is possible, I moded a pede 4x4 and installed a castle 2200kv with a mamba monster, did the same setup on a slash 4x4, 1/10 electronics on the mini erevo, castle 2200 on a rustler, 1717 motor on erevo and emaxx.
    The modular design is great both the pede and the slash 4x4 are modular too that's nothing new to traxxas and people has done crazy mods to overkill their trucks, I don't think this will be the exception.
    there would have to be a huge gearing change to run that setup. stock electronics on 6s is approx. 35,000 rpm, the 2028 on 8s approx 23,700rpm. I imagine getting the motor to fit with the right spur and pinion might not be worth the cost and effort. But I'd like to see it too.

Who else besides Castle makes an 8S capable ESC?

Everything is possible.
    I didn't say impossible. I just said very difficult due to the lack of real estate.

I would like to see that to. The MM2 is rated for either a 13/15 pounds truck...I can't remember for sure. This Xmaxx is 20ish pounds. I gotta think things are being pushed a little bit close to the line...thus, I'll probably wait a little while before I really think seriously about buying one.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    Who else besides Castle makes an 8S capable ESC?
    Hobbywing makes the EZRUN Max 5 that is 8s compatable.

Thanks. I now have a mission to make an 8S system fit and push the boundaries of the XMaxx. Should be fun!
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC Qualifier
    Just remember we need videos

RC Champion
    I have a feeling that on 8s, those stock tires are going to explode like the e-revo's do on 6s.

RC Qualifier
    I just blew apart 2 tires on my savage today ouch the bad part is they were 2 different sets....

Never had a problem with 6S on my Revo, then again not much of it was stock (including LST2 diffs). Half the fun for me is finding the next weak link.

I've got an XL2 waiting... Need to find the right motor and then how to fit it! Probably will have to fabricate some custom parts.

I've got an XL2 waiting... Need to find the right motor and then how to fit it! Probably will have to fabricate some custom parts.
    Sounds like you're on the right track. What I'd do is look at an Xmaxx in person first, see if I could get some workable ideas together, then put my money down if I thought the mods I wanted to do were do-able. That way I wouldn't have any costly bad surprises.

I'll run it at least once or twice stock before I rip it apart. I've been pouring over the exploded views and drawings and have some ideas. I've got a 3D printer available to test out any part designs.

Bigger question is will the stock motor withstand 55k RPM. Probably not.

RC Qualifier
    I would like to know what 4s battery packs will fit the battery tray

Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    I would like to know what 4s battery packs will fit the battery tray
    Most likely only a few lower capacity ones will fit. Higher capacity will require modification.

Just having a bit of fun while I wait (somewhat) patiently...

It appears that if you include the cooling fins on the current Traxxas motor (which their spec sheet does not), you get approximately the same width (2.2") as the Castle 2028 motor. Length is obviously the bigger issue.

Disclaimer: This is all an approximation based on images Traxxas publicly provided. Have to wait to see it in person to verify sizing and fit.

RC Competitor
    Are there any pinion gears for the 2028's 8mm shaft that can be used in the xmaxx?

8s X Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Are there any pinion gears for the 2028's 8mm shaft that can be used in the xmaxx?
    Yes, multiple vendors make M1 8mm pinions.

I didn't see any cooling fins on any of the Xmaxx's motor pictures. I always see that Traxxas motors are smooth, and have no cooling fins. Any-who I still think things are really going to be tight with the new Xmaxx.

P.S. Looks like from the picture above that Traxxas added a heat sink to their motor. That would be good news for putting in a Castle 1717, XO-1 motor. I still don't think there will me enough real estate for a Castle XL2 ESC...who knows for sure right now, though...we'll see.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-17-2015 at 04:37 PM.

I think it certainly needs the heatsink, since it's buried down low in the chassis. Doesn't appear that much airflow would get to it.

P.S. I will make it all fit or have FUN trying!!!

So, I'm having second thoughts on the Castle 2028 800kv motor. I've been doing some pinion/spur calculations and have a concern that with the already tight fitting, I'm not going to have enough side to side space to have many gearing options.

Going from 1600kv to 800kv, cuts the output speed by 50% and going from 6S to 8S gives 33% increase in speed. Overall this cut speed to 0.66%

Assuming the motors are the same width...
    Stock gearing (15/54) goes from ~35MPH to ~24MPH (and I'm sure this equals instant backward flips)
    Tallest gearing (26/46) goes from ~71MPH to ~47MPH (and probably still have ridiculous torque)

26/46 gearing appears to push the motor the furthest away according to the motor mount. So, if I were going for pure speed (which I am not), I doubt I could fit a larger Pinion gear and the Spur gear doesn't appear to have much more room to shrink.

So looking at other options for motors that can take 8S voltages (the 2028 can take up to 12S!), I see Leopard and SkyRC. They both have options in the 900 to 1000kv range. Anyone with experience with these brands?

OK, I've made the decision to stick with Castle on the motor as well. The "bargain" XL2 I received was damaged (blown caps) so I've decided to go for the new XL X.
    I received confirmation from Castle they are shipping them on the 1st week of December, just in time.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I didn't see any cooling fins on any of the Xmaxx's motor pictures. I always see that Traxxas motors are smooth, and have no cooling fins. Any-who I still think things are really going to be tight with the new Xmaxx.

P.S. Looks like from the picture above that Traxxas added a heat sink to their motor. That would be good news for putting in a Castle 1717, XO-1 motor. I still don't think there will me enough real estate for a Castle XL2 ESC...who knows for sure right now, though...we'll see.
    Isn't the motor already the same size and KV as the 1717? Seems like all you would do is lose out on the water proofing by swapping it with a 1717.

RC Competitor
    Omg why dont they list the 26 pinion in the part's list I only noticed that now (maybe that means there will be a more powerful version ).

What would the top speed be with 26/46 at 8s stock motor?

On the XO-1 the spur gear goes straight to the drive shaft but on the x-maxx the gearing will go from lets say 26/46 to 20/51(Fixed ratio) to the drive shaft will that have any affect on top speed.
    Last edited by John McClane; 11-19-2015 at 02:11 PM.

If you could push 8S through the stock motor without blowing it to bits... theoretically (no load, perfect batteries, no resistance, ideal conditions,etc, etc, etc....) you are talking ~94MPH... But that will never happen with the stock motor.

RC Champion
    If you could push 8S through the stock motor without blowing it to bits... theoretically (no load, perfect batteries, no resistance, ideal conditions,etc, etc, etc....) you are talking ~94MPH... But that will never happen with the stock motor.
    In addition to not happening with the stock motor...

That won't happen with the stock suspension
    That won't happen with the stock tires
    That won't happen with the stock aero characteristics

In other words, it's going to take a lot to get a truck like this going that fast, simply throwing more power at it isn't going to get you there.

I have the xl2 but have a look at mgm too...some crazy capable esc there....
    Live life to the fullest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast