Thread: Fail safe

RC Competitor

Fail safe

I'm trying to use the Dynamite fail safe as I had a runaway a few weeks back that caused about $200 damage to my truck. I hook it up and try to test it but when I cut the power from my transmitter to simulate a lost signal it will not lock the brakes. Any insight?

What radio are you using? If the 27mhz then it will work and you'll need to consult the manufacturer of the fail safe to set it up. If the Traxxas 2.4 then it will not work as the radios have a built-in fail safe to return to neutral.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Thank you for the response! It is the 2.4. Is there anything that will lock the brakes in case i lose signal?

The Traxxas one is not adjustable. Either downgrade to the 27mhz and put on the aftermarket one or look at purchasing a different radio system that has an adjustable built-in failsafe.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The Traxxas one is not adjustable. Either downgrade to the 27mhz and put on the aftermarket one or look at purchasing a different radio system that has an adjustable built-in failsafe.
    there has to be a way to "hack" the failsafe and reset it, going to neutral really isnt helpful because itll coast into an incomming object insted of hitting the brakes. im sure some one has to be able to figure it out.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    there has to be a way to "hack" the failsafe and reset it, going to neutral really isnt helpful because itll coast into an incomming object insted of hitting the brakes. im sure some one has to be able to figure it out.
    The only hacks I have found have been to add channels. You would have to get into the actual coding of the processor to change the failsafe probably. Even with that Traxxas probably keeps their main coding locked up tight to prevent plagerism. It'd be quicker and probably cheaper just to get an aftermarket radio system with a Failsafe...

EDIT: FIXED TYPO
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    The only hacks I have found have been to add channels. You would have to get into the actual coding of the processor to change the failsafe probably. Even with that Traxxas probably keeps their main coding locked up tight to prevent plagerism. It'd be quicker and probably cheaper just to get an aftermarket radio system with a Failsafe...

EDIT: FIXED TYPO
    sign* i wish i was better with that stuff, i can only use baby scripts

RC Racer
    Good news is that you can get a tx/rx with a progammable failsafe for under 50 bucks.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC Competitor
    The problem is the radio system lost signal and the truck hit a curb at 40mph. Placing the servo back to neutral doesn't do any good. I can't believe this is the best it can do. I shouldn't have to "hack" the receiver. It not only costs a ton of money to fix the truck it is also dangerous. I try to run the truck away from people and play things safe but with a runaway you always risk hitting property or worse, someone's kid at 40mph

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trev616 View Post
    The problem is the radio system lost signal and the truck hit a curb at 40mph. Placing the servo back to neutral doesn't do any good. I can't believe this is the best it can do. I shouldn't have to "hack" the receiver. It not only costs a ton of money to fix the truck it is also dangerous. I try to run the truck away from people and play things safe but with a runaway you always risk hitting property or worse, someone's kid at 40mph
    Are you open to getting an aftermarket tx/rx combo? You can get one that has a setting that you can set to brake when it loses radio signal. They run about 30 bucks on the low end and go as expensive as you like. With my truck I didn't like that it only went back to neutral and so I got an aftermarket rx/tx for 45 bucks or so.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC Competitor
    I may think about investing in something different. I like Flysky telemetry setup.

RC Racer
    I have a flysky and I love it. It can hold a bunch of different models, and it is rechargeable. It was one of my best investments because of the failsafe alone but the rest of the features are nice too.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC Champion
    i run a futaba 3PL for my nitro trucks just for the fail safe feature. It's built in and fully programmable and can be set to hit the brakes if signal is lost. It definitely works as long as there is rx battery power available to keep the receiver supplied with juice. Of course, there is always the return spring trick to ensure the throttle servo is pulled back as well if all power is lost.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    i run a futaba 3PL for my nitro trucks just for the fail safe feature. It's built in and fully programmable and can be set to hit the brakes if signal is lost. It definitely works as long as there is rx battery power available to keep the receiver supplied with juice. Of course, there is always the return spring trick to ensure the throttle servo is pulled back as well if all power is lost.
    issue with that is it if has interference then the servo will still be POWERED and will have a mind of its own. no return spring is going to overpower the servo strength.

RC Champion
    I have never had interference issues with this radio. Fail safe was triggered once when the truck went out of range due to low tx battery power. The truck simply slammed on the brakes and wouldn't respond until I got close enough for the rx to receive a signal from the tx. What you describe is an issue with older AM radios. They are twitchy.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Racer
    I have a Flysky 2.4 that has a programmable failsafe as well. I have never run into interference issues either...
    Hi Ho Silver Away