RC poster

My new Rustler VXL tops out at 27mph...?

Hi, first I'm going to apologize in case there is a thread for this issue somewhere already, I tried searching but am horrible at navigating forums lol.
    So heres whats up... I got a new Rustler VXL a few days ago and charged the battery, put in the included high speed gear and tested it out, everything worked fine. A bit later, I recharged the battery and took it out to the road but noticed immediately that it didn't have the same power it had before, and I've ran it several times since but it never has had the power it did the first time I used it. I know for a fact it was in sport mode, but when I put it in training mode it runs exactly the same as in sport mode (no slower whatsoever). Using my phones gps, the car is lucky to hit 27mph on a full charge (with high speed gear on street). Could it be I just got a bad battery, or is something else going on? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Does it make any whining noises or grinding?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    Check the gear mesh, and if you have a multi meter check the battery after charging. If you have the cigg lighter charger you have to wait for it to blink red before plugging the battery to it. Check the fuse in the cigg lighter charger, they tend to blow when you plug it in all at once. Are you running the stock 7 cell nimh?

Maybe you went into training mode eithout noticing it?

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies everyone. No strange noises, it sounds completely normal just slow lol. It is the 7 cell battery that came with the truck and I did use the car charger the first couple times but have the ex-charger now and it seems to charge fine but I have a 3 cell LiPo 5000mah on the way so if it's the battery that will hopefully solve the issue. And it's in sport mode for sure, because I switched it several times into every mode just to see if it would make a difference and it runs the same in all modes (excpept of course no reverse in race mode)
    Last edited by bshatney; 11-03-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Are you running the stock tires?
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC poster
    Yes, for now I am. I plan on getting foams eventually but until I figure out why it's so slow there's no need to upgrade yet.

RC Racer
    How hot did the motor get on the speed gear?
    Pede 4x4
    / 4x4
    / 2wd
    Spartan

RC poster
    Just to update, the problem was my receiver needed calibrating. I have since done away with the Vxl system, it's now got a Mamba Monster 2 ESC and Castle 2200kv motor. It's... Not too slow anymore lol