Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 73
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,642

    New Traxxas Aton Quad?!?

    Hey guys, someone over at URC forums posted this...




    Full GPS, film mode, aerobatic mode! Wow!!! It will be announced next week. And released shortly after. Thank you Traxxas!!!! Unreal!!
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228333

    What do you guys think? I've always wanted a large size (350ish) quad, and this might just be my first.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    Cool. My alias might not get fixed depending on what other features this has.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,555
    Interesting! Looking forward to seeng more info on it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  4. #4
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,498
    Given the tight-lipped nature of Traxxas, it's intriguing who let the cat out of the bag if it is true.
    The Super Derecho

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    HOLY CRAP! Traxxas is on fire right now!
    We are all one race. The human race.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,555
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    HOLY CRAP! Traxxas is on fire right now!
    Are you being literal, or metaphorical?

    If literal, you might want to call someone... Just sayin'...

    ************************************************** **

    Seriously, looks like their engineers have been busy!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,590
    Umm on fire all right, X max, this and I Wonder what else is in the works...

    X Revo...? that I will make my day, I need to have the X max and X revo if it ever comes up...note the operative wors NEED
    Live life to the fullest

  8. #8
    RC Racer slidin6ofem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gillette, WY
    Posts
    216
    I tell ya, it's feast or famine. Spreading the releases apart a little would at least allow folks to gather up the cash for all these toys.

    Almost looks like a Go-Pro box on there. Hmm
    Good times don't just happen.

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    disregard....well I checked on 3 computers and cant see the pics anymore. maybe its my account.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 11-05-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    They're still there.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    242
    The only problem I have with it is on URC there was an image with what might be the radio for the quad. It is really disappointing if that is the radio it looks really childish and almost like an afterthought. I'd post the link but I'm pretty sure it is against the rules.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9
    Man this thing looks sweet. With it being brush-less and it looking like an Alias on steroids I cannot wait to see it fly. Should be incredible...Wonder how many people will buy this over DJI for Christmas!!!

  13. #13
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,525
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    The only problem I have with it is on URC there was an image with what might be the radio for the quad. It is really disappointing if that is the radio it looks really childish and almost like an afterthought. I'd post the link but I'm pretty sure it is against the rules.
    Have you used the Alias transmitter?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Have you used the Alias transmitter?
    No I have not. I honestly think that one looks childish too. I'm sure it is a decent transmitter and I understand that Traxxas wants to get more people (kids included) to buy their products but when I shell out the kind of money on hobby grade things I'd prefer a more classic looking transmitter that doesn't look like it came from Wal-Mart in the kids aisle. That is just me though and to each their own but it just isn't for me.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

  15. #15
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Given the tight-lipped nature of Traxxas, it's intriguing who let the cat out of the bag if it is true.
    I saw a post complete with a pic on Facebook by RC Car Action that it was spotted at SEMA.

    Edit: I just checked and Traxxas is listed as an exhibitor at the SEMA show
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 11-05-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangokid89 View Post
    Man this thing looks sweet. With it being brush-less and it looking like an Alias on steroids I cannot wait to see it fly. Should be incredible...Wonder how many people will buy this over DJI for Christmas!!!
    Doubtful. This looks like a hobby-grade quad, with a camera. Should be fun, but certainly not in the same category as a DJI, which is an entry level serious camera platform.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    The only problem I have with it is on URC there was an image with what might be the radio for the quad. It is really disappointing if that is the radio it looks really childish and almost like an afterthought. I'd post the link but I'm pretty sure it is against the rules.
    The Alias is the same as a Hubsan, the programming is a little different, but in all other respects the same craft. For a quad of this size, the transmitter is fairly large and very comfortable, very solid and does not feel toyish. Given, it does not look like a "serious" transmitter, like a 6+ channel stick radio, but it does its job very well and has all of the adjustability you want for this craft.

    It will be interesting to see if the camera is fixed, or if it has a gimbal and the built-in ability to control it with another radio (this might be asking too much). From Dcuda's link, it looks like it is fixed and vibration isolated from the frame.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    I actually loved the transmitter from the Alias. Simple and easy...especially for the new guys who venture into flying rc's.

    Will definitely get this copter.

    and there goes traxxas again with the weird names for their vehicles lol Teton, Telluride, Alias, Aton etc...
    We are all one race. The human race.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    Is it brushless or is it just a guess?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Is it brushless or is it just a guess?
    I'm putting my money on brushless considering it's going to be carrying a camera. Don't think brushed motors would last long.
    We are all one race. The human race.

  20. #20
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    ...The Alias is the same as a Hubsan, the programming is a little different, but in all other respects the same craft...
    I don't think you are correct regarding the Alias. Which model do you think is similar?

    Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    No I have not. I honestly think that one looks childish too. I'm sure it is a decent transmitter and I understand that Traxxas wants to get more people (kids included) to buy their products but when I shell out the kind of money on hobby grade things I'd prefer a more classic looking transmitter that doesn't look like it came from Wal-Mart in the kids aisle. That is just me though and to each their own but it just isn't for me.
    You are welcome to your opinion and tastes, but the Alias transmitter does a pretty good job, maybe despite its looks.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-05-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  21. #21
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    I actually loved the transmitter from the Alias. Simple and easy...especially for the new guys who venture into flying rc's.

    Will definitely get this copter.

    and there goes traxxas again with the weird names for their vehicles lol Teton, Telluride, Alias, Aton etc...
    We have some very creative people here.
    Last edited by Wooderson; 11-05-2015 at 08:03 PM.

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,555
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I don't think you are correct regarding the Alias. Which model do you think is similar?
    You are correct sir!
    I did indeed confuse the Alias with the QR1. The QR1 and the Hubsan are the same craft, Traxxas licensed the production of it from Hubsan. However, the remotes between the Alias, QR1, and Hubsan are very close, so my key point to my post still remains valid, in that, the remote looks like a video game controller, not toy-ish by feel, and is fairly robust and does its job very well.

    Many thanks KSB51RL for the fact check and keeping me on the straight and narrow!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  23. #23
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,525
    Your point about the Alias controller certainly is valid, as well as eloquently expressed. I have just one traditional style 6-channel air radio. It is much better than say a radio that comes with a H-M 1SQ, but I'm not sure it would have improved my enjoyment of the Alias because the Alias remote is better than other quads of its size.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  24. #24
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,498
    The Super Derecho

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    697
    I saw this on FB as well. very interesting design... a little bit like an Alias frame, and a little bit like the DJI but definitely all Traxxas in name and body design, unique. as far as the transmitter goes, I also loved the Alias Tx design whether it was "gamish" or not. it was very comfortable to hold, light, and did an excellent job. if Traxxas packs in the same type of programming features in to this new one, as are available in traditional style programmable transmitters... I should find much appeal to many of the flyers who are in to camera and FPV flying, depending on its price point.

    I personally was hoping to see a 250 size brushless, more like a racer/stunt quad, but with cameras and FPV being the hot ticket right now... this makes sense, especially right before Christmas .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

  26. #26
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9
    From the rumors it sounds like this quad can do 50 MPH!!! IDK about you but that sounds like a racer to me.

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangokid89 View Post
    From the rumors it sounds like this quad can do 50 MPH!!! IDK about you but that sounds like a racer to me.
    would depend on its price point, at least for me . most guys who spend big dollars for quads like this don't generally race them around at high speed doing stunts and such... repair costs from crashes and all that can get very expensive and complex due to the nature of its components . while I have seen a small number of people taking things like a 350qx and hard balling it (which btw is quite impressive), they are a very small group. most use this type of platform for FPV and aerial video.

    it will be interesting to see just what they release this one with as far as capabilities? until those details are released... it is all really just rumors. I am sure its speed will be very impressive, right up until the first time you crash it, but it will definitely get the attention of the FPV'ers and the video crowd .

    now, if the price of it is affordable... all bets are off . I would lower it to the ground and fly it as hard as I fly my little 200, most likely harder .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

  28. #28
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    would depend on its price point, at least for me . most guys who spend big dollars for quads like this don't generally race them around at high speed doing stunts and such... repair costs from crashes and all that can get very expensive and complex due to the nature of its components . while I have seen a small number of people taking things like a 350qx and hard balling it (which btw is quite impressive), they are a very small group. most use this type of platform for FPV and aerial video.

    it will be interesting to see just what they release this one with as far as capabilities? until those details are released... it is all really just rumors. I am sure its speed will be very impressive, right up until the first time you crash it, but it will definitely get the attention of the FPV'ers and the video crowd .

    now, if the price of it is affordable... all bets are off . I would lower it to the ground and fly it as hard as I fly my little 200, most likely harder .
    At the same time remember who you are talking about. Traxxas is known as the bashing company. No way do they put out a product that doesn't take a beating and keep on ticking. I would expect you to be able to run this thing pretty hard and keep going.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangokid89 View Post
    At the same time remember who you are talking about. Traxxas is known as the bashing company. No way do they put out a product that doesn't take a beating and keep on ticking. I would expect you to be able to run this thing pretty hard and keep going.
    the design of the main frame is very similar to the Alias, and the canopy looks to be pretty beefy, so yeah... it just may? I will be watching for its release, price, parts availability and cost, and reviews from those who give it a whirl .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwick, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the camera is fixed, or if it has a gimbal and the built-in ability to control it with another radio (this might be asking too much). From Dcuda's link, it looks like it is fixed and vibration isolated from the frame.
    I receive an email from an online hobby store and the Aton came up and it said this about it:

    "Spy shots have been nabbed of an upcoming new quad from Traxxas, available in two models! The two models vary with a fixed mount or brushless gimbal mount for GoPro cameras."

    Can't be 100% but hopefully there is a gimbal version. Just been getting into quads myself with a different brand, small quad and wouldn't mind snatching up something like this machine. See what its price tag is first!
    Summit; Spartan; Others yet to come

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. danielhr77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    4,759
    I know it says Traxxas on the body, but, is it going to be released as Latrax or Traxxas?
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

  32. #32
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,525
    Why would it matter?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. danielhr77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    4,759
    Just curious... Doesn't make a difference...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

  34. #34
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    67
    Traxxas could really kick it up a notch by making this automatically follow your vehicle and record

  35. #35
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangokid89 View Post
    From the rumors it sounds like this quad can do 50 MPH!!! IDK about you but that sounds like a racer to me.
    What other rumors have you heard out of curiosity?

  36. #36
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,525
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I know it says Traxxas on the body, but, is it going to be released as Latrax or Traxxas?
    Overheard at the SEMA show is that it will be labeled with the TRAXXAS name.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  37. #37
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    3,013
    Here's a flight vid of the Aton. It looks pretty quick! It Flips also

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRIp9rnEi0
    We are all one race. The human race.

  38. #38
    RC Racer k1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    166
    Looks pretty spunky!

  39. #39
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    81
    Looks like I'll have to get one of these

  40. #40
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Here's a flight vid of the Aton. It looks pretty quick! It Flips also

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRIp9rnEi0
    flips are very nice! the original pictures do not do its size justice... it looks huge in the video, lol. it also looked like the pilot had the landing gear removed from it? was hard to tell in such a short "teaser" video, lol. definitely brushless, definitely very agile, definitely a nice looking quad, definitely on my watch list!
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •