Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Traxxas Aton Quad?!?

Hey guys, someone over at URC forums posted this...

Full GPS, film mode, aerobatic mode! Wow!!! It will be announced next week. And released shortly after. Thank you Traxxas!!!! Unreal!!
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228333

What do you guys think? I've always wanted a large size (350ish) quad, and this might just be my first.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Cool. My alias might not get fixed depending on what other features this has.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Interesting! Looking forward to seeng more info on it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Given the tight-lipped nature of Traxxas, it's intriguing who let the cat out of the bag if it is true.
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    HOLY CRAP! Traxxas is on fire right now!
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    HOLY CRAP! Traxxas is on fire right now!
    Are you being literal, or metaphorical?

If literal, you might want to call someone... Just sayin'...

Seriously, looks like their engineers have been busy!

Umm on fire all right, X max, this and I Wonder what else is in the works...

X Revo...? that I will make my day, I need to have the X max and X revo if it ever comes up...note the operative wors NEED
    Live life to the fullest

I tell ya, it's feast or famine. Spreading the releases apart a little would at least allow folks to gather up the cash for all these toys.

Almost looks like a Go-Pro box on there. Hmm
    Good times don't just happen.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    disregard....well I checked on 3 computers and cant see the pics anymore. maybe its my account.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 11-05-2015 at 10:49 AM.

They're still there.

RC Racer
    The only problem I have with it is on URC there was an image with what might be the radio for the quad. It is really disappointing if that is the radio it looks really childish and almost like an afterthought. I'd post the link but I'm pretty sure it is against the rules.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC poster
    Man this thing looks sweet. With it being brush-less and it looking like an Alias on steroids I cannot wait to see it fly. Should be incredible...Wonder how many people will buy this over DJI for Christmas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    The only problem I have with it is on URC there was an image with what might be the radio for the quad. It is really disappointing if that is the radio it looks really childish and almost like an afterthought. I'd post the link but I'm pretty sure it is against the rules.
    Have you used the Alias transmitter?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Have you used the Alias transmitter?
    No I have not. I honestly think that one looks childish too. I'm sure it is a decent transmitter and I understand that Traxxas wants to get more people (kids included) to buy their products but when I shell out the kind of money on hobby grade things I'd prefer a more classic looking transmitter that doesn't look like it came from Wal-Mart in the kids aisle. That is just me though and to each their own but it just isn't for me.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Given the tight-lipped nature of Traxxas, it's intriguing who let the cat out of the bag if it is true.
    I saw a post complete with a pic on Facebook by RC Car Action that it was spotted at SEMA.

Edit: I just checked and Traxxas is listed as an exhibitor at the SEMA show
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 11-05-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Rangokid89 View Post
    Man this thing looks sweet. With it being brush-less and it looking like an Alias on steroids I cannot wait to see it fly. Should be incredible...Wonder how many people will buy this over DJI for Christmas!!!
    Doubtful. This looks like a hobby-grade quad, with a camera. Should be fun, but certainly not in the same category as a DJI, which is an entry level serious camera platform.

The Alias is the same as a Hubsan, the programming is a little different, but in all other respects the same craft. For a quad of this size, the transmitter is fairly large and very comfortable, very solid and does not feel toyish. Given, it does not look like a "serious" transmitter, like a 6+ channel stick radio, but it does its job very well and has all of the adjustability you want for this craft.

It will be interesting to see if the camera is fixed, or if it has a gimbal and the built-in ability to control it with another radio (this might be asking too much). From Dcuda's link, it looks like it is fixed and vibration isolated from the frame.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I actually loved the transmitter from the Alias. Simple and easy...especially for the new guys who venture into flying rc's.

Will definitely get this copter.

and there goes traxxas again with the weird names for their vehicles lol Teton, Telluride, Alias, Aton etc...

Is it brushless or is it just a guess?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Is it brushless or is it just a guess?
    I'm putting my money on brushless considering it's going to be carrying a camera. Don't think brushed motors would last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    ...The Alias is the same as a Hubsan, the programming is a little different, but in all other respects the same craft...
    I don't think you are correct regarding the Alias. Which model do you think is similar?

No I have not. I honestly think that one looks childish too. I'm sure it is a decent transmitter and I understand that Traxxas wants to get more people (kids included) to buy their products but when I shell out the kind of money on hobby grade things I'd prefer a more classic looking transmitter that doesn't look like it came from Wal-Mart in the kids aisle. That is just me though and to each their own but it just isn't for me.
    You are welcome to your opinion and tastes, but the Alias transmitter does a pretty good job, maybe despite its looks.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-05-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Traxxas Employee
    I actually loved the transmitter from the Alias. Simple and easy...especially for the new guys who venture into flying rc's.

Will definitely get this copter.

and there goes traxxas again with the weird names for their vehicles lol Teton, Telluride, Alias, Aton etc...
    We have some very creative people here.
    Last edited by Wooderson; 11-05-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I don't think you are correct regarding the Alias. Which model do you think is similar?
    You are correct sir!
    I did indeed confuse the Alias with the QR1. The QR1 and the Hubsan are the same craft, Traxxas licensed the production of it from Hubsan. However, the remotes between the Alias, QR1, and Hubsan are very close, so my key point to my post still remains valid, in that, the remote looks like a video game controller, not toy-ish by feel, and is fairly robust and does its job very well.

Many thanks KSB51RL for the fact check and keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Your point about the Alias controller certainly is valid, as well as eloquently expressed. I have just one traditional style 6-channel air radio. It is much better than say a radio that comes with a H-M 1SQ, but I'm not sure it would have improved my enjoyment of the Alias because the Alias remote is better than other quads of its size.

The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I saw this on FB as well. very interesting design... a little bit like an Alias frame, and a little bit like the DJI but definitely all Traxxas in name and body design, unique. as far as the transmitter goes, I also loved the Alias Tx design whether it was "gamish" or not. it was very comfortable to hold, light, and did an excellent job. if Traxxas packs in the same type of programming features in to this new one, as are available in traditional style programmable transmitters... I should find much appeal to many of the flyers who are in to camera and FPV flying, depending on its price point.

I personally was hoping to see a 250 size brushless, more like a racer/stunt quad, but with cameras and FPV being the hot ticket right now... this makes sense, especially right before Christmas .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    From the rumors it sounds like this quad can do 50 MPH!!! IDK about you but that sounds like a racer to me.

RC Qualifier
    From the rumors it sounds like this quad can do 50 MPH!!! IDK about you but that sounds like a racer to me.
    would depend on its price point, at least for me . most guys who spend big dollars for quads like this don't generally race them around at high speed doing stunts and such... repair costs from crashes and all that can get very expensive and complex due to the nature of its components . while I have seen a small number of people taking things like a 350qx and hard balling it (which btw is quite impressive), they are a very small group. most use this type of platform for FPV and aerial video.

it will be interesting to see just what they release this one with as far as capabilities? until those details are released... it is all really just rumors. I am sure its speed will be very impressive, right up until the first time you crash it, but it will definitely get the attention of the FPV'ers and the video crowd .

now, if the price of it is affordable... all bets are off . I would lower it to the ground and fly it as hard as I fly my little 200, most likely harder .

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    would depend on its price point, at least for me . most guys who spend big dollars for quads like this don't generally race them around at high speed doing stunts and such... repair costs from crashes and all that can get very expensive and complex due to the nature of its components . while I have seen a small number of people taking things like a 350qx and hard balling it (which btw is quite impressive), they are a very small group. most use this type of platform for FPV and aerial video.

it will be interesting to see just what they release this one with as far as capabilities? until those details are released... it is all really just rumors. I am sure its speed will be very impressive, right up until the first time you crash it, but it will definitely get the attention of the FPV'ers and the video crowd .

now, if the price of it is affordable... all bets are off . I would lower it to the ground and fly it as hard as I fly my little 200, most likely harder .
    At the same time remember who you are talking about. Traxxas is known as the bashing company. No way do they put out a product that doesn't take a beating and keep on ticking. I would expect you to be able to run this thing pretty hard and keep going.

RC Qualifier
    At the same time remember who you are talking about. Traxxas is known as the bashing company. No way do they put out a product that doesn't take a beating and keep on ticking. I would expect you to be able to run this thing pretty hard and keep going.
    the design of the main frame is very similar to the Alias, and the canopy looks to be pretty beefy, so yeah... it just may? I will be watching for its release, price, parts availability and cost, and reviews from those who give it a whirl .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the camera is fixed, or if it has a gimbal and the built-in ability to control it with another radio (this might be asking too much). From Dcuda's link, it looks like it is fixed and vibration isolated from the frame.
    I receive an email from an online hobby store and the Aton came up and it said this about it:

"Spy shots have been nabbed of an upcoming new quad from Traxxas, available in two models! The two models vary with a fixed mount or brushless gimbal mount for GoPro cameras."

Can't be 100% but hopefully there is a gimbal version. Just been getting into quads myself with a different brand, small quad and wouldn't mind snatching up something like this machine. See what its price tag is first!
    Summit; Spartan; Others yet to come

I know it says Traxxas on the body, but, is it going to be released as Latrax or Traxxas?
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Why would it matter?

Just curious... Doesn't make a difference...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Competitor
    Traxxas could really kick it up a notch by making this automatically follow your vehicle and record

Traxxas Employee
    What other rumors have you heard out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I know it says Traxxas on the body, but, is it going to be released as Latrax or Traxxas?
    Overheard at the SEMA show is that it will be labeled with the TRAXXAS name.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here's a flight vid of the Aton. It looks pretty quick! It Flips also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRIp9rnEi0

Looks pretty spunky!

RC Competitor
    Looks like I'll have to get one of these

RC Qualifier
    Here's a flight vid of the Aton. It looks pretty quick! It Flips also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRIp9rnEi0
    flips are very nice! the original pictures do not do its size justice... it looks huge in the video, lol. it also looked like the pilot had the landing gear removed from it? was hard to tell in such a short "teaser" video, lol. definitely brushless, definitely very agile, definitely a nice looking quad, definitely on my watch list!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast