Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    139

    steel driveshaft snapped

    so yesterday I was driving my truck, I hit a jump (nothing bigger than usual) and when the truck landed the right rear tire flew off. when I looked at it closer I noticed the threads on the driveshaft right at the nut had snapped. It snapped right where the threads start. I've only had these driveshafts for a couple weeks, would traxxas warranty this ?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    so yesterday I was driving my truck, I hit a jump (nothing bigger than usual) and when the truck landed the right rear tire flew off. when I looked at it closer I noticed the threads on the driveshaft right at the nut had snapped. It snapped right where the threads start. I've only had these driveshafts for a couple weeks, would traxxas warranty this ?
    Ouch! That stinks! What drives were they? The xo's?
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    9,374
    I have actually seen a few different brands do that.... it is usually from people over-tightening the wheel nuts, it ends up stretching the metal where it necks down for the threads, and then the fatigue gets to it

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    They probably aren't the xo1 shafts. The xo1 shafts use a 6mm stub instead of 5mm. It makes quite a difference. You should be able to use the xo1 stubs if you get new bearings and wheel nuts.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    I have actually seen a few different brands do that.... it is usually from people over-tightening the wheel nuts, it ends up stretching the metal where it necks down for the threads, and then the fatigue gets to it
    Thanks, I tend to tighten wheel nuts pretty hard, never thought about that. Since upgrading drives I will keep that in mind so I don't ruin them!
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    139
    they are the traxxas 6851 and 6852r shafts.. the wheels possibly could've been tight but I'm not sure I just use the small wrench

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    I have actually seen a few different brands do that.... it is usually from people over-tightening the wheel nuts, it ends up stretching the metal where it necks down for the threads, and then the fatigue gets to it
    I did it to 2 of mine before i figured out what it was.

    Also its the axel stub not drive shaft right, plz correct me


    About the 6mm. Definitely do it if you can. Are you using 17mm adapters?

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I did it to 2 of mine before i figured out what it was.
    I had a bit of an issues when i originally put the shafts on getting the tires on the hex properly it was weird. so I may have tightened them too much..

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    that's unbelievable you did that. ive never seen or heard of that happening to such a part you spend a good penny on. I have those to for my p4de. should I be worried? are the stub axles or what not replaceable or do you need to buy a whole new set which is 80 bucks??? that's a little ridiculous if so considering they are suppose to with stand a decent bashing. anyways are the stub axles able to be replaced and if so can you or someone please inform me on how to disassemble and reassemble the stub and drive shaft???

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    They come apart. If you take the rubber boot off there is a pin. Just push it out and the drive shaft separates from the stub axle. There are spare parts available too.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    is the rubber boot glued on like the dust boots on the revos? what do you mean they are spare parts available? like when I take it apart or I can purchase them? (please don't take that as a duh, dumb question I'm being serious and curious.) ??

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    The rubber boot isn't glued on. You can purchase spare parts for the driveshafts.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    I have a stock plastic driveshaft that broke the metal axel stub like OP and wheel came off.
    Ive purchased the Traxxas steel drive shafts and gonna try to install them today, guess ill be careful to not overtighten it.

    Have you tried to contact Traxxas for warranty, since you would expect these parts to hold?

    Another question how cold was it when snapped?

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    I see that there is a washer on axle shaft. Is there one on backside as well?
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,359
    There should be.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    I installed my traxxas steel drive shafts now but I noticed that especially my front tires aren't firmly tightened even when I screwed them hard, if i pull the tires back and forth you can feel it and hear it click, it isn't firmly sitting on the hex. It's gonna snap if I drive it now.

    I'm gonna buy some metal washers to put on so it will sit firmly on the hex before I run it.

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    I installed my traxxas steel drive shafts now but I noticed that especially my front tires aren't firmly tightened even when I screwed them hard, if i pull the tires back and forth you can feel it and hear it click, it isn't firmly sitting on the hex. It's gonna snap if I drive it now.

    I'm gonna buy some metal washers to put on so it will sit firmly on the hex before I run it.
    ya mine did the same thing you just have to be patient and try to get it to sit on the hex tightly.

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    The rubber boot isn't glued on. You can purchase spare parts for the driveshafts.

    do you have a part number for the stub axles for the driveshafts ? I can't seem to find anything

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    6754 Stub axle, front, steel-splined constant-velocity (1) .................. $7.50
    6753 Stub axle, rear, steel-splined constant-velocity (1) .................... $7.50
    I got these part numbers from the stampede 4x4 vxl part list book. these will fit if you have the steel ones.

    6854X Stub axles, front, heavy duty (2)/ yokes (2)/ pins (4) ....................... $8.00
    6853X Stub axles, rear, heavy duty (2)/pins (2) ......................................... $6.00
    These ones are for the plastic axles. Good luck man.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    ya mine did the same thing you just have to be patient and try to get it to sit on the hex tightly.
    What do you mean?
    I tried multiple times to remove and put tires back on the hex but they never sit 100% firmly after i screwed the nut on, so i decided to buy som metal washers to put between the tires and nut.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    9,374
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    What do you mean?
    I tried multiple times to remove and put tires back on the hex but they never sit 100% firmly after i screwed the nut on, so i decided to buy som metal washers to put between the tires and nut.

    what? that is probably one of the worst things you can do.....

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    6754 Stub axle, front, steel-splined constant-velocity (1) .................. $7.50
    6753 Stub axle, rear, steel-splined constant-velocity (1) .................... $7.50
    I got these part numbers from the stampede 4x4 vxl part list book. these will fit if you have the steel ones.

    6854X Stub axles, front, heavy duty (2)/ yokes (2)/ pins (4) ....................... $8.00
    6853X Stub axles, rear, heavy duty (2)/pins (2) ......................................... $6.00
    These ones are for the plastic axles. Good luck man.
    Thanks dude !!

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    Your welcome. Let us know how it all goes and works.

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    What do you mean?
    I tried multiple times to remove and put tires back on the hex but they never sit 100% firmly after i screwed the nut on, so i decided to buy som metal washers to put between the tires and nut.
    My wheels have always set good on hex but my question to everyone is, do you have a slight bit of play(wheel wobble)? I have since day one. Maybe I'll post vid in my tracking thread. Mine seemed to be about the same, maybe a slight more than daughters new P4de.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    mine is the same way to. I ask the guy at my lhs and he said that's normal. a few other traxxas cars/trucks wobble to. its more noticeable in reverse. you can help stop the wobble by adding spacers or washers inbetween the hex and stub axle. it will also wobble more as ware and tare set in and the axle stub wares down.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    what? that is probably one of the worst things you can do.....
    Please explain why?

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    mine is the same way to. I ask the guy at my lhs and he said that's normal. a few other traxxas cars/trucks wobble to. its more noticeable in reverse. you can help stop the wobble by adding spacers or washers inbetween the hex and stub axle. it will also wobble more as ware and tare set in and the axle stub wares down.
    Cant think of a scenario where you want you're wheel to wooble or be abit loose.
    It's gonna wear out the hex or tire plastic where the hex is attached if it wooble or is loose while driving hard and turning on rough grass since it isn't firmly attached.

    ?

  28. #28
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    do you have a part number for the stub axles for the driveshafts ? I can't seem to find anything
    Traxxas will warranty that part. They'll send you a new axle for the driveshaft if you call them and explain what happened.

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    mine is the same way to. I ask the guy at my lhs and he said that's normal. a few other traxxas cars/trucks wobble to. its more noticeable in reverse. you can help stop the wobble by adding spacers or washers inbetween the hex and stub axle. it will also wobble more as ware and tare set in and the axle stub wares down.
    I have shimmed it and it doesn't help. So I'm assuming its more in casters and linkage.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier cazrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    613
    Checked my truck again today and noticed its the steel driveshafts that moves back and forth in the spindle a little bit, its not my wheels that are wobbling/loose on my hex.

    Im a noob when it comes to RC.... small steps forward.
    guess ill start driving it with standard nimh battery to check if new steel driveshaft installation went well before i go 3s lipo.

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Checked my truck again today and noticed its the steel driveshafts that moves back and forth in the spindle a little bit, its not my wheels that are wobbling/loose on my hex.

    Im a noob when it comes to RC.... small steps forward.
    guess ill start driving it with standard nimh battery to check if new steel driveshaft installation went well before i go 3s lipo.
    You can shim those like posted, in my case it didn't help much.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    I haven't attempted to shim my p4de yet. after hearing from you'll I don't even think itll be worth the time and effort now. Does anyone know if there is any other option out there to help or stop this issue of wobbling?

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier NOFTCHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Posts
    819
    I haven't attempted to shim my p4de yet. after hearing from you'll I don't even think itll be worth the time and effort now. Does anyone know if there is any other option out there to help or stop this issue of wobbling?

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,013
    I put a shin between the pin that keeps the hex in place and the outer bearing of carrier. I don't have the movement or play you guys are having. Once I remove that shim actually forget to put it back on I notice the play. That's when I'm looking for it.

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    I haven't attempted to shim my p4de yet. after hearing from you'll I don't even think itll be worth the time and effort now. Does anyone know if there is any other option out there to help or stop this issue of wobbling?
    Just because it didn't fix my issues doesn't mean it won't work for you. You can always try it. Its just a little washer. It does help in keeping axle from constantly moving horizontally in bearing so that is beneficial! I do have mine shimmed to keep it stable in bearing, however I got other issues causing my wobble and bad tracking. I just haven't found it yet. I believe its mechanical not electrical so I'm narrowing it down.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •