Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. GeneralPede01's Avatar

2650kv speed and performance

So finally after 4 days the ground was dry enough that I could take my new system out for spin too bash with. First I did another speed run, the first speed run I done was yesterday geared 17/54 with a 3s lipo with a 2 day old charge on it, hit 54mph max. Today I tried the 18/54 setup with a freshly charged lipo and it hit 59mph. Now I know there's no way that going up one pinion tooth is gonna give me a 5mph increase on top speed, so either my gps is not accurate or having a freshly charged lipo makes a difference. Even if my gps isn't accurate it isn't too far off, because when I flew by on the road it was moving along pretty quick. Did that speed run and then bashed for almost 30min till my battery died, couldn't check temps because I still haven't replaced temp gun battery( yes I know I need too do that asap), but after 30 min of good bashing I could put my finger on the motor and it was warm but not hot so I know my temp was well within the safe zone. Overall all I can say about this motor is WOW this thing has some awesome power I love it very much.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think it's your GPS acting up, that thing is just really that dang fast. I bet you with a 21/52 you will be 67 or maybe a little faster. Don't kill your neighbors dog with it, that would be tragic.

1 tooth combined with fresh batteries can do it. Put a 5s in and gear it 23/36. I hit 82mph. I haven't tried 6s yet.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by cpstack View Post
    I don't think it's your GPS acting up, that thing is just really that dang fast. I bet you with a 21/52 you will be 67 or maybe a little faster. Don't kill your neighbors dog with it, that would be tragic.
    If my gps is accurate then that means having a old charged lipo vs a fresh charged one can effect speeds. Na if I killed the neighbors dog with it, I would be considered a hero lil
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    1 tooth combined with fresh batteries can do it. Put a 5s in and gear it 23/36. I hit 82mph. I haven't tried 6s yet.
    How do you fit a 36 spur in there? Thought 50 was the smallest for a p4de.

Not if you go with mod 1 gears.

Not if you go with mod 1 gears.
    I'm still a noob lol what are mod 1 gears?

They have larger teeth on them. You can see in this pic. 32pitch on top, mod 1 pitch on the bottom.

Wow I did not know that, those look beefy. Do you run that type of gear for speed runs only or bashing as well? They look more durable than the 32 pitch.

I mostly run them for speed runs. I have a center diff for bashing and spurs are only available in 32p.

So I should just stick with regular 32p being I'm just a basher?

32p will work. If you set the gear mesh correctly you should never strip a 32p gear in this truck.

32p will work. If you set the gear mesh correctly you should never strip a 32p gear in this truck.
    I only stripped two Spurs since I've had this p4de in 3 months. First time I stripped it was completey my fault had the mesh way too tight, second time it stripped the pinion grub screw had backed out the spur got messed up again. I'm pretty good with gear mesh now and haven't had any problems nomore. I pulled cover off today after my run and spur and pinion still looked great. Plan on getting a 19T pinion fri along with a 52 spur, I should be able too break 60mph with that setup and if temps are good I'll leave it alone. 60mph for a 4x4 is pretty good, no need too try for 70 or 80mph being that 99% of the time I'm off road. I only get on pavement just too see how fast it goes.

RC poster
    My 2300kv 120A setup hits 100+ on 4s geared 28/50 in my stampede 4x4

Have you checked it with GPS or a speed gun?

I check mine with gps.

So finally got my temp gun back working, ran a 5000mah pack though her and temps were 103esc and 131 motor. So I'm thinking 19/52 will be a good gear and should keep temps within range.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I know this has been asked before but I'm lazy, GeneralPede01, what mods did you have to do to get the Castle 2650kv motor to fit in the P4de? Thanks.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I know this has been asked before but I'm lazy, GeneralPede01, what mods did you have to do to get the Castle 2650kv motor to fit in the P4de? Thanks.
    Motor and esc or just the motor?

Just the motor. Thanks.
    Obstacle Magnet

Just the motor. Thanks.
    I forgot too take a pic of my chassis modding, but pretty much just grinded down the ridges sticking up that support the stock motor down flat, and had too cut into the driveshaft cover as well. Go on YouTube and type in 2650kv install on stampede. Guy has a video of him installing one and he shows how much too grind off. That video is what I used too know how much too grind down.

Found it. Thanks.
    Obstacle Magnet

Found it. Thanks.
    No problem

So have it geared 19/54 now, ran a 3s pack through it. Temps were 98 esc and 121 motor not bad, ambient temps have dropped in my area so I'm sure that helps out as well. Plan on putting 52 spur on it tonight and then leaving it alone. Will gps it tmw.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks GeneralPede01. Always helpful. I learn a lot from you and this forum. Great numbers btw.
    ....what is this?

No problem, did you end up ordering a 2650kv?

So did not get too test out the 19/52 gearing today due too having problems with my 1:1 car all day, but I did get too go by the hobby shop couple hours ago hanging out with him for a min, and he let me try out a 4s he has. All I can say is wow this thing just really moves along, makes my 3s just look so slow. Didn't take temps or gps numbers as I only used it for about 5 mins, but defiently will be getting a 4s battery asap. Will test the 19/52 tmw on 3s and see what numbers I get with that, also went ahead and bought a RR 20T pinion too try out later on as well.

Tried out 20/52 gearing today got 61mph on 3s, not bad at all. Temps after the battery died were 110 esc and 113 motor

RC Qualifier
    Pretty impressive, I bet you're even more anxious to get a 4s for it now. My guess on 4s is 71 if you're able to stay in it long enough.

Yea I can't wait for a 4s, my lhs let me use his 4s last night and man that thing was flying

So picked up my 4s today along with a sway bar kit. Weather was nasty down here yesterday so couldn't bash with it today, but did do a couple little speed runs on the road, I couldn't hold it wot due too having bunch of sand on the road from last nights storms, but managed too get 62mph. Will try a wot run when the roads dries, which hopefully will be tmw. Esc was 113, and motor was 149 so I may have too gear down a couple teeth to run 4s all the time.

RC Qualifier
    Do you plan on running 4s most of the time?

Yea, I plan on picking up another 4s battery next week. So I gotta find the perfect gearing too keep temps in check.

RC Qualifier
    Dang 62 and not even WOT yet, sounds fun. I'm curious what kind of temp decrease you would see with a motor fan that has a heatsink.

It was pretty neat, will be installing my sway bar kit when I get off, hoping that will help with stability when I'm on the road. Not sure about the fan helping with temps. The castle fan I have on it now I really don't care for it. I seen a fan and heatsink on eBay called a dragonslayer, I may give it a try, it also comes in a bunch of different colors as well.

Also ordered a set of losi ten shocks too put on my p4de as well. They should be here Friday.

Just ordered the dragonslayer heatsink combo in black, now I know that a properly geared rc doesn't need a fan/heatsink, but I like too run fans on my motor.

RC Qualifier
    Difference in the Castle fan and the one I went with was huge. I looked for one like mine that would fit your can but all I could find was the dragonslayer too. As long as it fits tight I bet it will help your temps alot, if it's loose you can use some thermal paste. The Castle fan is definitely just for looks.

Difference in the Castle fan and the one I went with was huge. I looked for one like mine that would fit your can but all I could find was the dragonslayer too. As long as it fits tight I bet it will help your temps alot, if it's loose you can use some thermal paste. The Castle fan is definitely just for looks.
    Yea the castle fan is not the greatest from what I can see, I've heard good things about the dragonslayer, and since I ordered it in black it should cover the green motor that I don't like lol only thing I don't like about the dragonslayer is you have too remove your motor too install, may see if I can mod it too where it will snap on and off.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe remove the fan and split it straight down the center longways, then reinstall the fan and it will hold it together in one piece. Hey, it could work.

Maybe remove the fan and split it straight down the center longways, then reinstall the fan and it will hold it together in one piece. Hey, it could work.
    Indeed it could lol or I could cut a couple fins off each side of it. I will make this work.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast