RC poster

Question Rustler vs. Rustler VXL vs. Slash?

I'm new to the world of RC's and making my first ever purchase. I'm willing to invest $200-$330ish into an RC buggy/trucky. I would use it off-roads and on-roads. After researching and comparing, I'm stuck with a few options. Is Rustler VXL worth the extra money for a beginner? How about Slash, is it better? Also, what other better options are there?

Second question is deals... What is a GOOD price for each (especially for VXL since my eyes are mostly on that)? Also Black Friday is coming up, so any deals from anywhere? AND buy online or local? pros and cons?

My only requirement is it has to be Electric. And I'm looking for good battery, not only 10 mins per round.

RC Qualifier
    My first Rc was a Rustler VXL. I still love that car. Definitely go brushless right away. I will save you money in the long run. That car is fast and simple. My opinion start with that and see if you like the hobby, $$$$.

Going brushless right away is a great idea for a beginner because it reduces maintenance. The rustler is a great choice too. Fun to bash around snd very versatile.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Like the others have head, going brushless right out of the gate is the best way. Just keep in mind, the VXL is a mild brushless system, if you upgrade to something aftermarket, you will want to lipo at the same time.

The Rustler is a fun truck, but my preference is the Slash, it is make scale looking and the longer WB makes it more stable at speed. Of course, with the new TSM feature driving the truck for you, I don't know if that matters any more.

Either one would be a good one to jump into. Just make sure you really want a 2WD RC and not a 4WD, you can't convert it later.

As far as where to buy, you just have to shop around. I haven't really seen Black Friday deals on RC stuff, but I am not really looking either. I like to go to my LHS for most things RC, you pay a little more, but it is worth it (too me) for the convenience of having a LHS. But, typically LHSs do not make much on RTRs, their big profit margin is in repair parts and hop ups. So, you'll likely not find a good deal on a RTR at you LHS. It is also good to price match, distributors play a big role in RC pricing. One kit I was looking at getting (non-Traxxas) was $225 on line, the LHS had this same kit priced at $315.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 11-06-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    You can recover from a 2wd to a 4wd. Its expensive though. Just have to buy another truck lol. I have a rustler vxl now and plan on a 4wd in the future. Gotta have one for each type of driving you want to do. Im going to use the rustler more for speed runs and light off road and a 4wd to bash strictly off road. To me a 2wd is more fun to drive but 4wd is more capable of off road.

RC Racer
    I'll just echo my own opinion on going brushless right out of the gate.

I got into the hobby by buying a RTR brushed truck (so not the VXL) and then picked up a brushless system and did the upgrade. If I had to do it again, I would do the exact same thing... it makes you appreciate the brushless system even more. Going brushless at the get go doesn't necessarily saves you money...you can pickup a brushless system lightly used at a great price, there's always someone looking to upgrade that are selling their stuff cheap (local or online)

Or you get to do some more research and drive the truck first and find out what kind of brushless system you'd really like in your truck. Maybe the stock vxl setup won't be enough for what you need it to do and would be better off buying an aftermarket system. Going brushed first and getting to know your truck and driving style will let you do that... and you won't have spent money on a brushless system you don't need/want.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    My first Rc was a Rustler VXL. I still love that car. Definitely go brushless right away. I will save you money in the long run. That car is fast and simple. My opinion start with that and see if you like the hobby, $$$$.
    Agree with this. At the price point you are looking at, the Rustler is a much more stable car with the lower center of gravity and wider track. The Slash is a great vehicle, but the lower end HCG chassis makes it roll quite a bit. If you spend a little more and get the LCG version, then I'd lean toward the Slash.
    "Splash" ProLine Slash
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I would say either Slash or VXL. The slash is a good basher and there are a lot more races (at least at my track) with SCT. The Rustler is a darn tough truck though. I have been crashing it for years and have only broken the rear A-arm once. Your LHS is probably one of your best resources because they can help trouble shoot and they always have a bunch of parts to fix/upgrade your truck. However, you can get a pretty good deal on Ebay and the like for a 4x4 slash with LCG. Or even a good used VXL.
    It all really depends on what you want to do with it and the kind of terrain you are running in. Plus it has a lot to do with how you like the look of the car as well.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

Just remember there are more upgrades on a VXL model than just the brushless motor. Bearings instead of bushings, steel turnbuckles not plastic, better servo, hex hardware not phillips,etc. My vote goes to the VXL version of whatever truck you decide on. Hit it with a good 2s lipo(SPC or SMC) and it will be plenty fast for you to learn with. Good luck, have fun and welcome to your new addiction!!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Seems like there is a lot of VXL fan here! That's what I'm leaning towards for now. So since most of you have one, what's a good price for new? I have found $330 nothing less, but some said much better prices can be found.

RC Racer
    The VXL is a fantastic truck. I upgraded my XL-5 to a "VXL" and if I could go back in time I'd still get the XL-5 and do it all over again. However, as Dcuda said the VXL has more upgrades in it and even buying the cheaper XL-5 you will spend more money upgrading it to a VXL than just buying the VXL. This leaves more money in the bank for you to buy other upgrades for it. As for pricing 330 is a good deal you can find cheaper (used) ones on ebay and forums but for a new truck 330 is about as good as your going to get.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC poster
    Thank you all! Now, what are some essential parts to add to reduce the chance of breaking?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by calim93 View Post
    Thank you all! Now, what are some essential parts to add to reduce the chance of breaking?
    Drive slow until you get the hang of it !
    3905 E-MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by calim93 View Post
    There some good upgrades right out of the box that can be done, but for the most part, you should not really need anything. Recommend running the truck, as BT EMT said, take it easy at first, which is harder than you think. Buy a second battery and a good charger (if the Traxxas ID does not come with your model), and just have fun. Read the forums, do a little research, and get an idea of how you want your RC to drive better. When something does break, replace it with a better part.

When upgrading parts, unless you are doing a complete rebuild, it is best to only replace one or two parts at a time. Doing more than that makes tuning the truck difficult, you can't really see what effect the parts are having and what to change to make it run better.

Recommend getting a good set of hex drivers. Those little black L-wrenches are junk. Also recommend getting a temp gun, nothing fancy, a $20 one will due. Whenever you make changes to your drive train, it is a good idea to take temps every five minutes or so on your first pack after the change to make sure you are over heating your motor (drive train = Motor, gearing, transmission, axles, carriers, bearings and tires).

RC Champion
    I like to read the "optional" parts tab on the Tower Hobbies page.... it shows a long list of commonly bought items.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAD54**&E=N
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    There some good upgrades right out of the box that can be done, but for the most part, you should not really need anything. Recommend running the truck, as BT EMT said, take it easy at first, which is harder than you think. Buy a second battery and a good charger (if the Traxxas ID does not come with your model), and just have fun. Read the forums, do a little research, and get an idea of how you want your RC to drive better. When something does break, replace it with a better part.

When upgrading parts, unless you are doing a complete rebuild, it is best to only replace one or two parts at a time. Doing more than that makes tuning the truck difficult, you can't really see what effect the parts are having and what to change to make it run better.

Recommend getting a good set of hex drivers. Those little black L-wrenches are junk. Also recommend getting a temp gun, nothing fancy, a $20 one will due. Whenever you make changes to your drive train, it is a good idea to take temps every five minutes or so on your first pack after the change to make sure you are over heating your motor (drive train = Motor, gearing, transmission, axles, carriers, bearings and tires).
    I have seen this mentioned in almost every thread, yet nobody gives any idea of what temperatures are safe. I have a stock VXL on a LiPo 3s, and I'm wondering what is too hot? What is normal?
    Rustler VXL
    '69 Mustang (6.12@112)

RC Qualifier
    I try to keep mine below 150 degrees if possible. I think 170 is max but not sure.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Enthusiast
    Is that for the ESC, the motor, or both?
    Rustler VXL
    '69 Mustang (6.12@112)

RC poster
    the vxl-3s shuts down at 200f, I don’t know about the motor, but keep temps about 150 to be safe, 160-170 is about the most I would go

RC Enthusiast
    I don't really know if this is related or not, but my first Traxxas came with a Car charger/ cigarette lighter charger whatever. my first and only traxxas is 1/16 slash, so dont even know if it's related. still, as I didnt see anyone say so, I thought I should include that in.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyvxl3 View Post
    the vxl-3s shuts down at 200f, I don’t know about the motor, but keep temps about 150 to be safe, 160-170 is about the most I would go
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody2462 View Post
    I don't really know if this is related or not, but my first Traxxas came with a Car charger/ cigarette lighter charger whatever. my first and only traxxas is 1/16 slash, so dont even know if it's related. still, as I didnt see anyone say so, I thought I should include that in.
    You guys know that this thread is about four years old, right?

As far as temps go, normally the ESC will follow the motor. You want to keep your motor temps < 160*/f, and hotter than that and you risk delamination.