Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 116
  1. #41
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    RIGHT! Hobby class rcs are a luxury item. We are all very lucky to lead lives where we can fret over such things.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  2. #42
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,590
    I am glad that I spend my hard earned dollar in this hobby and it happens to he traxxas that I love the most.

    For over two decades I have seen, been back and forth in the hobby and feel the prices these days are definetely better forvthe wallet then yester years..tor a while I have longed for a 1/5 and almost got a losi 5 out of a whim. Now traxxas got one I will dfintely get one and very stoked with the price...

    Nice one traxxas
    Last edited by Jezza; 11-11-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

  3. #43
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. JerrysMaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NAWLINS
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    Many people forget that it's a hobby. Hobby class vehicles will never have the massive sales numbers that toy RC cars have in Walmart, for example. With the relatively tiny slice of population that is involved in the RC hobby, RC companies do what they can do to keep prices within a reasonable range. Considering all the engineering and research that went into the X-Maxx, not to mention all the premium parts that are included, I was also expecting a $1000 plus price point. $800 is an excellent value!

    The fact is that the hobby is expensive. The vehicles are expensive and then the required repairs continue to cost money after the initial purchase. I can love the hobby all I want but if I am unwilling or unable to spend the money required to successfully participate in the hobby it will only frustrate me if I do get in. Dirt bikes, jet skis, motor yachts, Lamborghinis etc... are also hobbies that would be a lot of fun except for the price of participation. No matter how much I like them I cannot justify the cost. Those hobbies are not for me and complaining about prices is not going to change that. The people who do participate in those hobbies typically understand and accept the price of participating.
    +1 ^^^^^^^^
    Although the X-Maxx is not out my reach, the Lambo surely is! I'll meet in the middle with Traxxas just make me a Lambo body and I will be content .
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

  4. #44
    Traxxas Employee nixhex32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ft Worth, tx
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I would think that a Traxxas Employee would be sitting back taking notes from a feedback perspective instead of trying to justify why Traxxas designed an RC that no one expected or asked for!
    .
    People also didn't expect or ask for the T-Maxx in 1999, the E-Maxx in 2000, or the Slash in 2008. Those 3 alone have a proven track record. With that said the feedback has been in favor of the X-Maxx.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

  5. #45
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I've seen quite a few posts in "About Traxxas " forum expressing a desire for a large offroad vehicle in recent years.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  6. #46
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. hoovdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,644
    Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    People also didn't expect or ask for the T-Maxx in 1999, the E-Maxx in 2000, or the Slash in 2008. Those 3 alone have a proven track record. With that said the feedback has been in favor of the X-Maxx.
    You got 1 of 3 correct. I wanted the Maxx concept back when we were converting 1/8th buggies with big tires and extremely poor gearing. All I can say about the X-Maxx is about time. I've waited 16 years for this one! Reminiscing about the first time I got my 99 T to wheelie with a Pro .15...ah the glory days.

  7. #47
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4,083
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovdog View Post
    You got 1 of 3 correct. I wanted the Maxx concept back when we were converting 1/8th buggies with big tires and extremely poor gearing. All I can say about the X-Maxx is about time. I've waited 16 years for this one! Reminiscing about the first time I got my 99 T to wheelie with a Pro .15...ah the glory days.
    Wow, look who is back!!!!

  8. #48
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    I'll be buying this the same way I got my XO-1, used for half the price with some extras thrown in.

  9. #49
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    5,644
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FastS197 View Post
    I'll be buying this the same way I got my XO-1, used for half the price with some extras thrown in.
    Have fun waiting waiting a few months, I don't see anyone realistically selling one used and taking a lose on it that fast.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

  10. #50
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I'll be waiting too, for rollers to hit the market! Patience is a virtue 👍
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  11. #51
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,527
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What's on the X that's considered an "upgrade" these days?

    With 1/5 scale size/weight, you pretty much have to have brushless, heavy duty diffs, heavy duty center axle/slipper and outer axles. Those things are a "must have" vs "want to have" to make this thing last more than 1 battery pack of running.

    Just noticing a lot of "it's worth $xxxx" due to all the "upgrades" posts and I don't really get that. It costs what it people are willing to pay for it, plain and simple.
    Looking back through the whole thread and not taking the comments out of context, it seems clear to me that the comparison is being made to other vehicles made by Traxxas and having about the same price point. While I agree with your points regarding what a vehicle of this size needs to be successful, as well as it being worth only what people are willing to spend (I think that's what you were asserting), I don't think you had to crush so many sour grapes in making your point.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  12. #52
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. hoovdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Wow, look who is back!!!!
    Who could stay away when something like this is released. This truck is exactly what Traxxas needed in my opinion and I'm super excited to get my hands on one.

  13. #53
    RC Champion rizz0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovdog View Post
    Who could stay away when something like this is released. This truck is exactly what Traxxas needed in my opinion and I'm super excited to get my hands on one.
    Hopefully this truck brings back the old timers that used to do so many awesome things with the original maxx's! What a fun time that was.

  14. #54
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I think it will. While it seems more like a giant P4de physically, when you watch it in video it moves and leans and squats like a maxx. I left the maxx side of things because once brushless hit the market, I just couldn't keep it running.

    And I am NOT one of the guys who enjoys wrenching on my RCs.

    Seems like this one will behave like a maxx, but hold up like the Slash or the Pede. I'm excited for people to start getting their hands on them.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  15. #55
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    67
    I think everyone keeps forgetting that you need to power this thing. $800 is definitely a nice price, but your looking at well over $1000 (probably closer to $1100) by the time you buy the batteries that will give you any kind of sustained enjoyment with this thing.

  16. #56
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    81
    I have a pair of SPC 3s 7200's that will power this beast until I can get my hands on the new ones SPC will have in stock. I'm sure most of the people that have pre-ordered will have something to power it, and won't even think twice about buying batteries if they need them.

  17. #57
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,527
    Haven't forgotten, just okay with it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  18. #58
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    I think everyone keeps forgetting that you need to power this thing. $800 is definitely a nice price, but your looking at well over $1000 (probably closer to $1100) by the time you buy the batteries that will give you any kind of sustained enjoyment with this thing.
    Many of us already have quite a few 5000 mah packs lying around. With several pairs, that's enough to get started!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  19. #59
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Venice, FL
    Posts
    2,859
    I'm sure JAKEY will power his with some nice 1200 NiCd 6 cell packs....
    3905 E-MAXX

  20. #60
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Many of us already have quite a few 5000 mah packs lying around. With several pairs, that's enough to get started!
    How would it perform on 4s? Slower then 6s of course..... 4s could be good for crawling over rocks and rough stuff?

  21. #61
    RC Champion NFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    How would it perform on 4s? Slower then 6s of course..... 4s could be good for crawling over rocks and rough stuff?
    Don't think so, this is not a crawler, and it will not perform like one, actually I don't think there is a crawler like this big on the market, for smooth crawling you will need a sensored system, non sensored systems cogs at low speed. The Summit is a nice crawler btw.

  22. #62
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Venice, FL
    Posts
    2,859
    4s - less breakage and crashing
    6s - more carnage!
    I bet 4s will be great for heavy off roading, climbing hills, grass etc.
    3905 E-MAXX

  23. #63
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT View Post
    4s - less breakage and crashing
    6s - more carnage!
    I bet 4s will be great for heavy off roading, climbing hills, grass etc.
    My thoughts exactly!

  24. #64
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I think 4s will be pretty underwhelming. On the videos I see, 6s just seems acceptable.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  25. #65
    RC Champion soundmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I think 4s will be pretty underwhelming. On the videos I see, 6s just seems acceptable.
    I run my Stampede 4x4 on 4s.

  26. #66
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    You seem to be very interested in crawling it. I think you mean more like what might be crawled when trailing, not necessarily rock crawling. With 4wd and this kind of size, I'd guess you can conquer most whatever you want with a goose of the throttle.

    If you want to finesse it and crawl your obstacles, it's gonna take more than just fewer cells.

    You'd really need a large brushed motor, or a large low kv sensored brushless motor. If you can gear this one way way down, it would help with cogging and give you more low speed control. Like a few have with a gear reduction unit and the velineon 3500. I doubt there is a GRU that could be fit to this beast though.

    You'll need to set the suspension up very carefully, with as much travel as possible and some droop. Nice and soft.

    Most importantly will be some very soft compound tires with a soft foam. And locking or puttying your diffs. I've seen a few decent emaxx "crawlers".

    And the telluride and the summit have proven an independent suspension vehicle can do decently.


    @Soundmaster-I run my Slash on 4s too. Haha
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  27. #67
    RC Champion jeteffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    You seem to be very interested in crawling it. I think you mean more like what might be crawled when trailing, not necessarily rock crawling. With 4wd and this kind of size, I'd guess you can conquer most whatever you want with a goose of the throttle.

    If you want to finesse it and crawl your obstacles, it's gonna take more than just fewer cells.

    You'd really need a large brushed motor, or a large low kv sensored brushless motor. If you can gear this one way way down, it would help with cogging and give you more low speed control. Like a few have with a gear reduction unit and the velineon 3500. I doubt there is a GRU that could be fit to this beast though.

    You'll need to set the suspension up very carefully, with as much travel as possible and some droop. Nice and soft.

    Most importantly will be some very soft compound tires with a soft foam. And locking or puttying your diffs. I've seen a few decent emaxx "crawlers".

    And the telluride and the summit have proven an independent suspension vehicle can do decently.


    @Soundmaster-I run my Slash on 4s too. Haha
    Appreciate the tips! Yes, I am talking about going/crawling and moving over the rough stuff but at slow speeds more so then precision rock crawling.

  28. #68
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Appreciate the tips! Yes, I am talking about going/crawling and moving over the rough stuff but at slow speeds more so then precision rock crawling.
    If you get one, my advice is, softest tires available with as much sidewall as you can get. Silly putty in the diffs. Giant brushed motor if they make one large enough. Gear down as much as possible with whichever motor. Soften your suspension. Or get a Summit. Haha
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  29. #69
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    245
    I hope the canadian dollar improves before I buy this. Luckily I already have 2 SPC 6500 3s batts for my p4de. Will need to buy a better charger though.
    Stampede 4X4 2700kv
    Xmaxx (stock)

  30. #70
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    118
    800 bucks is a great deal. I think this will be next near bulletproof like the slash 4x4! I can't wait to see more running videos. Already downsizing the shed to make room!! I was really hoping to get it before my trip back to jersey, great giant lot near my buddy house to test it!!
    Slash 4x4-Castle 2650-Tekno-Protrac

  31. #71
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,527
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhebert View Post
    I hope the canadian dollar improves before I buy this...
    Of all the wishes related to this product, this one is probably the most far-fetched.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  32. #72
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Of all the wishes related to this product, this one is probably the most far-fetched.
    Yea thx ksb for possibly ruining my dreams lol
    Stampede 4X4 2700kv
    Xmaxx (stock)

  33. #73
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,527
    Well, depending on how our next election goes, things could get much better for you (i.e. much worse for us).
    Realistically, it IS easier to add run time or power to an RC than to improve international economics.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  34. #74
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    3,663
    haha isnt that the truth.
    Im in the same boat wishing to see this drop a long way from $1000+ before i try to get my hands on one.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

  35. #75
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Venice, FL
    Posts
    2,859
    Well at $800 a unit, the economy of Traxxas will certainly improve !
    3905 E-MAXX

  36. #76
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    I think everyone keeps forgetting that you need to power this thing. $800 is definitely a nice price, but your looking at well over $1000 (probably closer to $1100) by the time you buy the batteries that will give you any kind of sustained enjoyment with this thing.
    This is my thought to. The price of the truck is great. If you have been in the hobby and already have batteries and chargers then it's not so bad. If your new like me then have to buy batteries and chargers it's going to get expensive. A brushless emaxx will be cheaper right out of the box. I do want a xmaxx though and can't wait till I have the extra funds for it. If I have to wait 6 months for a used one then so be it. Doubt I will be able to afford it anytime sooner. Dang for not already having lipos and chargers. My rusty needs a friend.

  37. #77
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    This is my thought to. The price of the truck is great. If you have been in the hobby and already have batteries and chargers then it's not so bad. If your new like me then have to buy batteries and chargers it's going to get expensive. A brushless emaxx will be cheaper right out of the box. I do want a xmaxx though and can't wait till I have the extra funds for it. If I have to wait 6 months for a used one then so be it. Doubt I will be able to afford it anytime sooner. Dang for not already having lipos and chargers. My rusty needs a friend.
    If you go electric, then you'll have to make the dive into batteries and chargers anyway. I don't consider that in the cost of my vehicle. They can be used over and over and in other vehicles.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  38. #78
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    605
    I agree fully. I just meant the initial upfront cost. That's why I got back into the hobby with a rusty. Came rtr with everything but a charger for a lower price. Once I get my upgraded chargers and lipos then it's a no brainier a xmaxx will be mine.

  39. #79
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Plopauce View Post
    I am not sure what you guys think, but $600 for an sl4sh ultimate all of a sudden seems like a rip off! I never use telemetry, always bottom out, always roll over on bumps even with Trenchers, etc. This thing is coming out just in time for christmas and don't you get it wrong that i really want me an x maxx. Not only the features, but also the body look plain awesome! metal big bores stock, 40+ mph, heavy cvds, self righting, tsm, awesome looks, heay duty everything, and more, all for $800! This seems too good to be true and I hope that traxxas is not playing tricks on us!
    Hello!
    In France the price of the new X-MAXX in pre - commanded is 1050 !!!
    Pascal.

  40. #80
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    I agree fully. I just meant the initial upfront cost. That's why I got back into the hobby with a rusty. Came rtr with everything but a charger for a lower price. Once I get my upgraded chargers and lipos then it's a no brainier a xmaxx will be mine.
    I picked up a secondhand ez peak plus pretty cheap on Ebay. I'd highly recommend doing that and looking to SPC for packs. Great quality here for less.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •