RC Enthusiast

T maxx build (sled pull)

I'm in search of some help on my build. I have an older maxx 3.3 stock trans mission and diffs. I know I need to lower my gearing to get torque but I know nothing about the gears in this truck and don't know where to start other then a bigger cb and spur. I've seen some threads from cummins snook and pipeyepuller if you guys see this and would be willing to help plz let me know and any other help from people will be nice....
    Bash it hard and put it up wet!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Lol anyone?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Doothadoo View Post
    Lol anyone?
    heres the thing..... nitro + pulling = alot of work, knowledge, and $$$

i can help with the gearing and the knowledge but i cant do it for you and if you have a budget i would steer clear from this aspect of the hobby, that and alot of stuff needed is going to be kind of advanced. if your new to the hobby i would not recomend this, but if your persistant i CAN help.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds good to me, I'm not looking to build a truck that can pull a car I just want a good mild build to start I'm not new to working on these nirto but I am going to be new to making torque. I've really never been a gear ratio person and that's my down fall. But learning is a must in my book. And I'm still not sure what maxx this truck is I just know that it's a factory 3.3 and I know it's not the newest truck. It has the black trans and 2 screw diffs and the old school off road tires not the a.t. Tire that are on the new trucks. It also doesn't have a spot in the frame for the exhaust or reverse servo. I'd post pictures but all i have is a tablet but you can find pictures of the truck here

https://www.facebook.com/Central-Texas Rc

It's the blue 3.3...... I'm not to worried about money lol just can't tell the wife!!!!!! Hope you can help

Central Texas Rc!!!!! On face book sorry the link isn't gonna let you see it
    Last edited by Double G; 11-10-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Im fairly certain Traxxas never made a 3.3 with the black tranny....you're describing a 4910 (2.5) with a 3.3 dropped in it and maybe upgraded to the extended chassis.
    Last edited by RichardTheGreat85; 11-10-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    everything being dif doesnt mean anythings changed

RC Enthusiast
    Everything on this truck was grey when I got it but the trans. Maybe a 3.3 with 2.5 trans? This 3.3 looks completely different then my old 2.5. It has 3.3 everything bulk heads drive shafts upper and lower controll arms body mounts grey skid plates and trans skid plate. Maybe that explains the 70 tooth spur and the confusion at the hobby store II went to the other day. When I got this truck I got a box with two torn down 2.5 trucks everything was there for them but one was missing a trans...
    Last edited by Doothadoo; 11-10-2015 at 04:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Facebook? What?

RC Enthusiast
    To see what I have and will be building if it would be easier instead of guessing. Pictures of my truck are on a page I created called Central Texas Rc

Blue and silver t maxx

RC Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure its a legit 3.3 with a 2.5 trans I'm just looking for gearing help....

RC Racer
    Yeah i looked ya up @central texas rc. It's looks to be mostly 3.3 parts aside from the 2 screw diffs, receiver box, battery box and tranny. Maybe someone just prefered the black boxes and tranny. Looks kinda like a franken-maxx! Looks Good to me

Anyway, back on topic, basic rule of thumb is for more low end you want: a larger spur and/or smaller Clutch bell

More top end: smaller spur and/or larger clutch bell
    Last edited by RichardTheGreat85; 11-11-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    everything being dif doesnt mean anythings changed

RC Enthusiast
    I changed everything to black but the trans was already switch when I got the truck....

But yes torque is my goal and I've changed the cb and spur but that's not gonna be enough to pull some weight I'm gonna need to get it the trans and do a little work and I have no clue where to start... Was thinking about locking gears but witch is better to lose first or second. I would think that first gear would be my torque gear but before I screw up, am I right? I've seen alot of people locking into second but there all about top end... Any ideas?
    Last edited by Double G; 11-11-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Robertson Racing hardened steel tranny gears, I'm putting a set in my BB chassis that's sporting an LRP ZR .32�� Stock gears only lasted about two tanks after breakin. I'd start pulling and u'll find out soon enough what needs upgrading.i also hav full steel drive line plastic wouldn't stand a chance against this beast, but u might be ok with SB Engine. If this is what ur into I say go for it!
    Last edited by Race10; 11-11-2015 at 02:36 PM.

RC Champion
    I changed everything to black but the trans was already switch when I got the truck....

But yes torque is my goal and I've changed the cb and spur but that's not gonna be enough to pull some weight I'm gonna need to get it the trans and do a little work and I have no clue where to start... Was thinking about locking gears but witch is better to lose first or second. I would think that first gear would be my torque gear but before I screw up, am I right? I've seen alot of people locking into second but there all about top end... Any ideas?
    theres no need to do anything dramatic yet, are you wanting the truck to be DESIGNED to pull?

or just every now and agian?

and for the record,

Sounds good to me, I'm not looking to build a truck that can pull a car
    a stock tmaxx 3.3 can pull a car with the correct set of tires. it doesnt take as much power as you think.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 11-12-2015 at 09:46 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    It's going to do nothing but pull.... I have been getting a lot of help from some people on facebook anyone that pulls or is wanting to start should check out the group the people there are nice and full of info. Rc Pullers Only is the group name come find me names Andrew

Just got done mounting the motor up front just have to put everything back together after all the modifying
    Last edited by Double G; 11-12-2015 at 08:12 PM.

RC Champion
    It's going to do nothing but pull.... I have been getting a lot of help from some people on facebook anyone that pulls or is wanting to start should check out the group the people there are nice and full of info. Rc Pullers Only is the group name come find me names Andrew
    well, I will tell you what needs and should be done for the best possible and most relaible truck. first i will name off some parts you will need.

FLM f\r shock towers gives alot of abjustablity to your truck set up

a electric rc fan of some kind to keep the engine temps down becasue there is going to be 0 wind flow in the body. this is a MUST

500k diff fluid front and rear, or some type of locked diff setup.

i will highly recomend the RPM true-track so the rear suspension points fwd under load to give better traction.

a better set of tires for sure. those stock chevrons are junk.

a bigger engine, or at the least upgrade the carb.

more weight is needed upfront

need REAL strong CVD's

upgrade the clutchbell CLUTCH shoes to a three shoe set up, if its alloy shoes you go with rough the alloy with sandpaper every now and agian to give extra friction

steel trans gears for sure!!!!

CRANK THE SLIPPER CLUTCH 100% you want 0 slippage

high air flow filter. i like motor saver air fitlers personally

now... im sure there are some other little things here and there but thats what came to my head first, so for pulling, your going to want a lower center of gravity BUT, you want it more in the front rather the rear. the nose WILL come up while pulling so you need to watch and play with the weight ratio front\rear by using alloy parts or extra weights.

gearing, i would use a 16t bell and try to mate it with a 74-76 spur that i think would give the best torque ratio with the rpm. make sure you lock the first gear by tightening the second gear actuator screw down to snug.

i wouldnt use any other fuel then 20-25% nitro, id make sure its with a high oil content.

lower the truck and use a thicker viscosity fluid in the rear and a little lighter in the front, maybe 45F\70R. you want the front to sink more then the rear to give more forward traction.

alignment, use the true track set up in the rear. with slight negitive camber, -.5 to -1.0 the suspension will sink changing the camber to a more negitive angle. i would use -1.5 in the front with positive 2 degree in TOTAL toe-in. i wouldnt do any more then that. toe in will help the truck dig for traction going forward, that and as the trucks suspsension sinks it will become slightly less positive and may go to negitive but that is just how it is. i think the rear is set with a total of 3degree toe in with the true-track suspension.

tune like normal for max power then id say half hour more lean, to give a little bit more power with the fan blowing should do pretty well imo.

kind of alot to read but iv been doing this for awhile soooo alot of info to pass on.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 11-12-2015 at 03:16 PM.

I know a decent forum where this specialty is discussed in detail at http://fullpullrc.com/index/ and you probably will get more varied responses.

I could give you advice but unlike some I prefer to go by what I have dealt with first hand or directly exposed to. R/C truck pulling is an entire different breed and many use multiple engines, custom chassis, solid axles and set up for different classes as well.

Another resource I just remembered http://nrctpa.org/
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 11-12-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added info
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    I dont know much about pulling but first thing that pops to my mind that mx austin brought up is your clutch. You might wanna look into buku clutch systems.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I know it's been a few days but it getting there. I mounted the motor up front and did all the diff flipping and so on the truck is running and driving I've already tested it. I put the bigger spur on and small cb I'm waiting on some new shock towers to get here I think they will work well I've also used a 2.5 chassis and mounted from front to back and low enough from the main chassis to mount my electronics in between the two plates. I've locked out second gear and I've changed out the tires to a set I had laying around till my puller tires come in. I'm also running my weight around 75\25 front to back I added about 4lbs up front not including the wieght of the motor up there now and about 1 1\2lbs in the back. I stole a little play dough for my son and used it to lock out my diffs (its working for now). So far I've got my truck to full pull right at 45lbs that sled included and when I hadded another 5 I stripped out my spur gear. I'm still tweaking on a few things but she's pulling now. I think it will do better when I get my tires and work out so suspension issusse (I just blocked the pack end).
    Think it's time to dive into the trans and gear it down a little if there is anything else y'all think I should do please feel free to let me know I thank the people that have gave me the advice they have....

RC Qualifier
    Here are some really great detailed pictures that can help you convert your maxx to a puller.
    http://www.rcmt.net/forums/showthrea...axx+conversion
    Scott