RC poster

Question Jato temperature

I have recently bought a Jato 3.3 and i have been useing 25% nitro with my truck and i also got myself a temperature gun. According to the gun my temperature is about 230-240 f but when i use the spit test is evaporates (boils) in about 2 seconds to 3. Does this indicate that my engin is runnig to hot or maybe my temp gun could be faulty or is normal ?? I need the experts advice.

Thank you

RC Racer
    Sounds like a bit of temp difference is happening. If the spit cooks off the head in 2-3 seconds it sounds a little on the warm side. If it immediately cooks off u are definitely too hot. Check your heat gun accuracy by putting it next to your a/c thermostat in the house. See what the numbers say and go from there. What temp gun are u using?? I use a Duratrax Flashpoint and I'm very please with it.

I will say that the spit test is not especially accurate. While your temp gun may be poorly calibrated, theres many things that may be different about ur spit/water you put on the head.

Make sure youre pointing the temp gun correctly, and take several shots with it, i usually do 5, and i may get a range of 200-230 when i do that. As long as the highest temp isnt too high, youre fine.

BTW, 240 is on the warm side. I generally try to run a little richer and keep it more towards 220-230. Just where i like to be, some people like to run hotter, but after youve finished your first gallon or 2 on the engine, I dont think the temp is helping anyone. Just my thoughts.
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Champion
    How about using an ice cube and boiling water to verify the accuracy of your temp gun?

RC poster

Exclamation

I have a jato 3.3 an I'm having problems with my ez start I have bought new wire harness an wen I Plug that easy start wand in the slot It turns over but the glow plug does not get hot both of the lights come on need help please

RC poster
    McKinley74, You should start a new thread if you are having different issues than the original thread starter.

RC poster
    I'm only hitting around 180 on mine, so is it possibly pig Rich? The funny thing is I had to lean it out quite a bit to keep it running after taking it out of the box. It does smoke pretty good at full throttle but I thought that was normal (to a point). Throttle response seems good.

RC poster
    I used the TraxxasLink today and compared the temperatures from my temp gun and the app. The gun registered around 180-185 while the app was telling me it was in the 220-230 range. ???