Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Sensored motor?

  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    426

    Sensored motor?

    Ok so I am thinking about putting a sensored motor in my Summit. I don't fell that I need one. I currently have an MMX and a 1515 in it and I love it!
    But I have never owned a sensored motor, and was thinking about giving one a try.

    The main reason I have never owned one is they are not water proof. And I normally will not buy any thing that is not water proof. So I will need to water proof the sensor board for sure.


    So what do you guys think would be a good motor for my Summit?
    I'm looking at something in the 1900-2200kv range. And I want something that will last.

    I like to buy good parts, but I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to.

    I'm more about bang for the buck then top of the line.

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,673
    I have been running a xerun sensored 2000kv off and on for a couple years.no issues with it
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    121
    I am about to purchase a Tekin T8 2250Kv truggy motor to go with my MMX. 2250Kv is a little high for the Summit, but I've seen videos of Summit's crawling in low gear with the 2250Kv and it does fine. I personally like a little bit of speed for when I'm bashing with friends, but if I were looking for a motor to just trail and crawl with, I'd purchase the 2000Kv motor. The castle motor worked out fine for me, but now I am starting to get into crawling and more low speed use. Motors are very easy to waterproof, just apply some liquid electrical tape around the sensor port and soldering tabs. I wouldn't be worried about buying too high or low of a Kv motor, because you can always change your gearing, and you have a two speed transmission.

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    Ok so I am thinking about putting a sensored motor in my Summit. I don't fell that I need one. I currently have an MMX and a 1515 in it and I love it!
    But I have never owned a sensored motor, and was thinking about giving one a try.

    The main reason I have never owned one is they are not water proof. And I normally will not buy any thing that is not water proof. So I will need to water proof the sensor board for sure.


    So what do you guys think would be a good motor for my Summit?
    I'm looking at something in the 1900-2200kv range. And I want something that will last.

    I like to buy good parts, but I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to.

    I'm more about bang for the buck then top of the line.

    Thanks guys!
    Hi!

    You know what we talked about this some time ago here, and my conclusion was to buy the Xerun 2200kv sensored motor (called 4274SD) because of the fact that it is 2200kv, sensored AND can take upp to 6S. It feels good to be able to run a sensored 2200kv motor and still be able to run 6s like you can with your CC 2200kv motor . That is not the case with Tekin for example. They say that you have to buy their 1350kv motor if you want to be able to run 6S in a monstertruck... (if you obey their rules) I donīt like to have such a "slow" spinning motor. Yes you could gear it higher, but that would mess up your crawlingspeed, and if you feel that 4S is enough (like it probably is) then a 1350kv motor will feel even slower...

    I will write a new thread about my build (MMX + Xerun 2200kv 4274sd) and make comparison videos to show the difference in crawlingspeed and topspeed with stock gearing, higher gearing and NiMh Vs 4S-lipo Vs 6S-lipo compared to what the speeds was with the stock Titan 775 system.

    BUT i have still not received the new transmitter Iīm waiting for..... So I can not testdrive it yet (the old one went dead after just a month...)
    Last edited by Nisse977; 11-20-2015 at 02:28 AM.
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alvin tx
    Posts
    136
    I run an xerun 2200kv motor on their 150 amp sensored esc. I love it. The motor says splash proof but I accidently did a little more than splash it, with no problems. I'm running an 18 tooth pinion with stock spur and it cruises while also being able to crawl really well. Also I'm using 2 2s 8200 mah spc batteries. The motor is great I have ran it bashing for 45 min straight with no heat problems. And for the price it's hard to beat.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    117
    Good stuff! So you get about 45min bashing on your 8200mAh batteries, or did you just stop after 45 min?
    I got 7600mAh batteries, but have not yet testdriven my truck with my new setup, so I do not know the runtime bashing or crawling. When using the truck as stock with the Titan 775 and 3000mAh NiMh batteries, I get about 10-15min bashing and 30-45min crawling.

    The Xerun motor has some kind of sliconegasket around the sensorport, I guess thatīs whats makes it "splashproof"
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alvin tx
    Posts
    136
    I ran mine for 45 min just bashing and jumping, I stopped driving for the day or else it would have kept going. I have yet to run these batteries all the way down. And the motor stays pretty cool the whole time. At the end of my run it was pretty warm but I could still touch it with out it burning me.

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken84 View Post
    I ran mine for 45 min just bashing and jumping, I stopped driving for the day or else it would have kept going. I have yet to run these batteries all the way down. And the motor stays pretty cool the whole time. At the end of my run it was pretty warm but I could still touch it with out it burning me.
    I purchased the 7200mAh SPC batteries, and it's the same thing. At first I assumed I would be struggling with run time, but that was not the case. I usually drive the Summit for 45 minutes without the batteries dying, and then I bring it inside. I still haven't even run these batteries from full charge to dead. Usually I only have time to run them from full to half, or from half to dead.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    426
    Well I got a good deal in a Tekin T8 2050kv motor. So I bought it.
    The Summit is coming along nice at this point, and I think I will have it up and running again in about a week. Just need a few more parts, and some more time to finish it up.
    Its going to look a little different this time around as well.

    I plan to start with the new motor geared 16/68. And I will go from there. Not looking to get much more out of it for top speed then what I already had. So I think that gearing will work good as it should give me about the same top speed I had with the 2200vk Castle 1515 and 13/62 gearing.

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken84 View Post
    I ran mine for 45 min just bashing and jumping, I stopped driving for the day or else it would have kept going. I have yet to run these batteries all the way down. And the motor stays pretty cool the whole time. At the end of my run it was pretty warm but I could still touch it with out it burning me.
    That is good to hear.

    Quote Originally Posted by joethejammer View Post
    I purchased the 7200mAh SPC batteries, and it's the same thing. At first I assumed I would be struggling with run time, but that was not the case. I usually drive the Summit for 45 minutes without the batteries dying, and then I bring it inside. I still haven't even run these batteries from full charge to dead. Usually I only have time to run them from full to half, or from half to dead.
    Same thing with your Summit, sounds like one hour drivetime is totally possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    Well I got a good deal in a Tekin T8 2050kv motor. So I bought it.
    The Summit is coming along nice at this point, and I think I will have it up and running again in about a week. Just need a few more parts, and some more time to finish it up.
    Its going to look a little different this time around as well.

    I plan to start with the new motor geared 16/68. And I will go from there. Not looking to get much more out of it for top speed then what I already had. So I think that gearing will work good as it should give me about the same top speed I had with the 2200vk Castle 1515 and 13/62 gearing.
    Aha ok, I understand. But then you should not run that one with 6S, but of course you can
    I am still waiting for my new transmitter to arrive... It will be fun to compare your MMX Tekin 2050kv setup Vs my MMX Xerun 2200kv setup. Both have the same ESC model and use sensored motors, but diffrent brands and kvīs.
    I have stock 14/68 gearing in mine for a start. I think that would give enough speed on 6s but maybe a bit to slow on 4s, depending of what you want to do with the truck. I think I use it most of the time for crawling and offroading. Then I only need good torque at low speed. But it is fun to do some bashing to
    Last edited by Nisse977; 11-25-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    426
    I only ever gear my truck to do about 30mph in 2nd gear. So 16/68 should give me what I am after.

    I never run 6s in the truck. Its my trail truck. I do a little bashing with it, but not much. And I can get 30mph out of it in 2nd with 4s and still crawl really nice in 1st gear. I don't see a need to run 6s on this truck. So I did not care that the motor was not rated for 6s.

    I have other vehicles for going stupid fast. LOL This truck is perfect at about 30-35mph IMOP.

    I will post vids after I get the truck going again and get a new camera. As some of you might know my GoPro died when it went swimming while not in the water proof case.

    Right now I just need to figure out this steering servo problem.

    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...teering-servos

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Maysville,Ky. USA
    Posts
    795
    Was the bec waterproof when it went for a swim ?
    OVERKILL,10Sum,16Sum,Xo1,MMSlas,44Stamp,Rus,16Ral

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    I only ever gear my truck to do about 30mph in 2nd gear. So 16/68 should give me what I am after.

    I never run 6s in the truck. Its my trail truck. I do a little bashing with it, but not much. And I can get 30mph out of it in 2nd with 4s and still crawl really nice in 1st gear. I don't see a need to run 6s on this truck. So I did not care that the motor was not rated for 6s.

    I have other vehicles for going stupid fast. LOL This truck is perfect at about 30-35mph IMOP.

    I will post vids after I get the truck going again and get a new camera. As some of you might know my GoPro died when it went swimming while not in the water proof case.

    Right now I just need to figure out this steering servo problem.

    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...teering-servos
    Oh yes I understand! For me it is just that I got a pair of 5000mAh 3S batteries that fits my Summit (beside my 7600mAh 2S packs) that I might use when doing longtime trailing-runs or just for fun. I mean that its possible to go slow on 6S too But it would also be fun to see how it goes on 6S full throttle

    Not fun with the gopro and no money in the pocket to replace it
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •