RC poster

Thumbs up The best Pinion Gearing and Spur

Hello everyone,

I am Amrish and I have since one month an new e-Revo brushless edition with iPhone Dock TQI.
    Currently I am running the e-Revo on 3S 4000mah 35C YellowRC lipo's, so in total 3+3=6S 8000mah.
    I just bought yesterday the Pro-Line Big Joe's 2(Big Joe ll 3.8 by Pro-Line).
    A few weeks ago I did a speed run with my E-Revo on the road with gps speed meter WITH E-REVO STOCK TIRES > THE TALON TIRES. And on 4S run (2x2S 4000mah) my fastest was 70km/h (43.5 MPH), and with everything stock. I was next running 3S 4000mah 35C lipo's so in total 6S 8000mah. The top speed I was getting with 6S was just 80km/h (49MPH). The gearing I was using was STOCK in my E-Revo 1/10 Brushless Edition and that is according to my guide from e-Revo 18/65. The engine heat was in running with 4S max 60 Celsius and in running with 6S the engine heat was around the 75-80 Celsius.

My question is:
    What is the best gearing and spur for the E-Revo 1/10 Brushless ON BIG JOE'S 2 and with no problems with overheating of the engine. I am using everything on the E-Revo stock EXCEPT the tires are now Big Joe's version 2! So the motor(engine) of my E-Revo is the black 2200KV engine. And I have the blue waterproof ESC. I WANT THE GEARING AND SPUR so that I can do speedruns and get some nice speed out of my E-Revo around the 100km/h is fine for me. I dont want the risk of breaking something and also I want to have NO PROBLEMS with the heating from the 2200KV brushless motor.

I am riding for the most part on-road. 90% On-road with the Big Joe's ll!

I thank you for helping me choosing the right gearing and spur,
    The last question that I ask you is: How do I install/uninstall the Pinion Gearing or Spur.
    Because I am new to rc car hobby I don't know that part of changing gearing and spur, so explain that to me too please! Or give me a clear website where I can find the EXACT plans for changing spear or gearing ON THE E-REVO!

Thank you very much for reading my story and I appreciate it if you help me, THANKS!
    Thank you very much!
    SMILE MORE :)

RC Qualifier
    Try the 54 spur gear

RC Racer
    Your stock axles and/or diffs aren't going to last long with those wheels on 6s.

18/54 is a good starting point. But two 4000 mah in series does not double mAh. it is still 4000 mAh. it does increase cell count but not mAh.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Why not? With my Traxxas stock talons tires I had driven allot on 6S, and the big joe's are a little bit heavyer than the stock tires? Thanks!
    Thank you very much!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    18/54 is a good starting point. But two 4000 mah in series does not double mAh. it is still 4000 mAh. it does increase cell count but not mAh.
    Why not. Read above please thanks! #5
    Thank you very much!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Amrish View Post
    Why not. Read above please thanks! #5
    The simple answer to why not, is fact. Running two batteries in series increases the voltage, not the capacity. Running them in parallel increases capacity, but not voltage.

Each individual cell in a 3S pack at full charge will be 4.2V holding 4000mah of capacity. So, connecting them in series…negative out to the next packs positive is just like it being a big 6 cell battery with 6 individual 4.2V 4000mah cells making 25.2V with 4000mah of capacity. That's just how it works.

As mentioned, at 6S is going to kill your diffs with those tires. The tires you want to run are about 3/4" taller than stock ones, as well as being heavier. To make up for that you need to gear down. Speed is obtained by gearing up. Gearing up is going to stress the motor and driveline with tires that big. Again, this is just the way it is.

I don't mean to put you down, but if you plan on running 90% street I'd suggest getting good road tires. Speed and appropriate gearing/running temperatures are much more easily obtained that way. You're in for some fixin' with 6S stock diffs and big tires. It's fact, plenty of people here have probably been through it.

I will add, with the increase in tire size on the stock gearing you WILL go faster. Same wheel RPM with a larger rolling circumference will get you more speed but you just have to watch the temps. Gearing it to 18/54 will get you even more speed but with those tires I would expect temps to be pretty darn high. You said 80C before, that's 176F. High enough, I'd expect 200F + with the new tires and 18/54 gearing.
    Last edited by zrau17; 11-26-2015 at 02:25 AM.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zrau17 View Post
    The simple answer to why not, is fact. Running two batteries in series increases the voltage, not the capacity. Running them in parallel increases capacity, but not voltage.

Each individual cell in a 3S pack at full charge will be 4.2V holding 4000mah of capacity. So, connecting them in series…negative out to the next packs positive is just like it being a big 6 cell battery with 6 individual 4.2V 4000mah cells making 25.2V with 4000mah of capacity. That's just how it works.

As mentioned, at 6S is going to kill your diffs with those tires. The tires you want to run are about 3/4" taller than stock ones, as well as being heavier. To make up for that you need to gear down. Speed is obtained by gearing up. Gearing up is going to stress the motor and driveline with tires that big. Again, this is just the way it is.

I don't mean to put you down, but if you plan on running 90% street I'd suggest getting good road tires. Speed and appropriate gearing/running temperatures are much more easily obtained that way. You're in for some fixin' with 6S stock diffs and big tires. It's fact, plenty of people here have probably been through it.

I will add, with the increase in tire size on the stock gearing you WILL go faster. Same wheel RPM with a larger rolling circumference will get you more speed but you just have to watch the temps. Gearing it to 18/54 will get you even more speed but with those tires I would expect temps to be pretty darn high. You said 80C before, that's 176F. High enough, I'd expect 200F + with the new tires and 18/54 gearing.
    Nice Bro thanks for you good advice, I really Appreciate that! But I have one clear question: if I keep everything stock, so the gearing 18/65 etc and I go running on 6S 4000mah 35C yellowrc lipo's WITH THE BIG JOES 2, YOU SAY I am getting a good speed and I must watch the temperature of the motor? With the stock gearing I get no PROBLEMS with the diffs or tires big joe's or temperature?

Thank you very much you help me good thanks!
    Thank you very much!

RC Racer
    18/65 is under geared for 6s despite what traxxas recommends. I burned out a motor on my revo pretty quickly doing this. When I geared up, motor temps came down.

6s is not going to be nice to a stock truck even with stock tires. You will rip the tires, twist axles and strip your diffs eventually. Those big wheels will speed up the process.

There are a few things you can do to help without making your truck less fun.

1. Shim the stock diffs
    2. Turn on punch control in your esc
    3. Get a temp gun and monitor motor and esc temps until you're comfortable that everything is copacetic

Search is your friend. There are a lot of very well written threads in this forum.