Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Lightbulb ViperX-Maxx (8S) build

As some of you are aware, I am preparing to drop an 8S system into my (soon to own) X-Maxx. I'm code-naming it ViperX-Maxx (very creative, I know). My goal is to drop a larger ESC/Motor system with as little modification and customization as possible. We'll see what happens!

Removal:
    Traxxas VXL-6S and stock 1600kV motor.

Addition:
    Castle Creations Mamba XL-X and 2028 Extreme 800kV motor.

Sizing:
    It appears that if you include the cooling fins on the current Traxxas 1600kV motor (which their spec sheet does not), you get approximately the same DIAMETER (2.2") as the Castle 2028 motor. LENGTH is obviously the bigger issue.

Plan:
    Since the motor DIAMETER shouldn't be an issue, the plan is to attempt to use the stock motor mounting (modified), move the ESC out of the way and mount the Castle XL-X to a new mounting plate that sits on the support rails near the front. The ESC will need to move to allow the motor to extend forward into the chassis.

Purchase List (so far):
    • X-Maxx (pre-ordered)
    • Castle XL-X with 2028 800kV motor (pre-ordered)
    • 2x 4S Batteries (found some 5000mAh that will fit the stock compartments)
    • M1 Pinion gears - 8mm Shaft (15T to 35T)
    • 46T Spur gear
    • Traxxas Connectors for batteries and ESC
    • Silicon Wire 8AWG to create series connection for batteries

Give me a bit of time and I will upload some modified exploded views that will show what I have in mind.

Disclaimer: Again, this is all an approximation based on images Traxxas publicly provided. Have to wait to see it in person to verify sizing and fit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tuned in!

So you're not going to test out the stock ESC/Motor?
    We are all one race. The human race.

I will... once or twice!
    Last edited by NBViper; 11-27-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

Here are the exploded views:

First is an overall of where each item will go:

Here is the modifications that will need to occur to get the motor to fit lengthwise.

Motor Mount:

Chassis:

Thoughts, opinions, concerns?

RC Racer
    How is this a "build"
    You don't own any of the items

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykujo View Post
    How is this a "build"
    Can't tell if you are trying to be funny... or just extremely literal.

It's the preparation stage of a "build". I want to keep one continuos thread going.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykujo View Post
    How is this a "build"
    yea that was one of Jang's pet peeves...people using the world "build" when it's really not a build. This is more of a project.

I'm not complaining though viper, do your thing. I'm sure it'll come out nice. It seems you've done your homework.
    We are all one race. The human race.

If a Mod wants to change the title to Project, go for it!

I'm hear to share my knowledge of building.... errr... I mean integrating an 8S system into a great lucking truck.

Looks like a cool "piece of work" . What ever you call it, it looks creative and fun. Go for it. I'll be sticking with my stock setup, but I'm sure keeping tunned into this thread will be cool. Go for it! Looks like you've done and are certaily doing your homework! Cool.
    Cheers!

Build or project or whatever: If you've got something to show, then show it. If you want to just criticize, then stow it.

As for others' pet peeves, let's not transport them here.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Well said. Thank you.

RC Enthusiast
    Super excited to see your build i will be following closely!!!!

RC poster
    Looking forward to this build Viper. Gonna be cool. BTW Jang is a whiney little dictator who is no longer relevant in our hobby.

I want to see how tough a stock xmaxx swapped out with an 800kv motor with 8s is. That would be a great test of toughness! Can't wait. Keep on keeping on with your build.

RC Champion
    Looking forward to seeing this BUILD come to fruition, and may even do a similar BUILD myself.

It looks like you're on the right track, Vip. It would be nice, though, if you didn't have to toss out two perfectly good parts. I saw how much Traxxas wants for their Xmaxx's motor and ESC. That's a lot of money to have to toss aside, but hopefully you can sell them at a worth while price to minimize your cost. Plus, 4s is price-ee-er than 3s. Hopefully (again), you will get your moneys worth in performance that you are looking for. Something else that I'm curious about is; I wonder how the drive train will hold up after your build...er ah...project. I mean to say...mod. Or, is it build? I'm so confused. (lol)

Anyway, something else you may want to prep for is, how you might need to mod the battery trays. I don't have any information to tell you for sure, but you may have to work that area a little bit in order to use the 4s batteries your going to need...just a passing thought. Good luck!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-28-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier

ViperX-Maxx (8S) build

I think putting that motor and ESC on 8s in your X-Maxx is going to inspire a build. More power means more stress, I hope the aftermarket can keep up with you in terms of stronger, better parts. I'm sure you will find the weak spots soon. I will be watching for sure. Hope you get yours soon!!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. Let's focus on truck instead of the title!

The Stock ESC & Motor will go onto the Marketplace so someone else can throw it into another great Traxxas truck and test that trucks limits!

Update:
    - Pinion gears and Traxxas connectors are out for delivery today. I've already got possession of the spur gear, batteries and wiring.
    - Castle Creation confirmed that the Castle XL-X should be shipping first week of December.

Battery:
    I have to admit that I'm purchased a perceived low-quality set of 4S batteries that surprising didn't cost very much. They are only rated to 30C @ 5000mAh (150A) so they will most likely be the limiting factor. I have found a few other higher end batteries that should fit but worst case, I'll drill some slots in the chassis and use a set of velcro straps to hold them in.

Good thing about the Castle XL series is that you can Log Voltage / Amperage data and more to see how things are performing and check for potential issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post

Update:
    - Pinion gears and Traxxas connectors are out for delivery today. I've already got possession of the spur gear, batteries and wiring.
    - Castle Creation confirmed that the Castle XL-X should be shipping first week of December.
    Well on your way, before you even have the truck, awesome! Now that being prepared!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Do you think you'll be able to gear the truck high enough for 800kv?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Do you think you'll be able to gear the truck high enough for 800kv?
    If he can't, time to step it up to 12S

ViperX-Maxx (8S) build

Speaking of gearing... take a look at these Pinion gears!!!

Pinions:
    - M1 8mm 15T to 35T (Top)
    - - Not sure why the 30T has such a thick collar, may need to machine it down.
    - 46T Plastic Spur (Bottom-Right)
    - for comparison: 5mm 14T and other smaller pinions(Bottom-Left)

Batteries
    - 4S 5000mAh 30C batteries that are within the physical specs of the X-Maxx battery compartment. These are for testing purposes only.

Apologies for the pictures/info of said brand.
    --------------------
    Please take note that several brand names that were previously allowed have now been blocked by our language filter. These are brands that come from the banned website based out of Hong Kong. Discussing these products will no longer be allowed on the Traxxas forum and will be treated just like mention of the website they come from has been for some time now. We appreciate your cooperation on this in future posts. This prohibition includes not only links and references, but graphic representations as well.

The retailer you inquired about or referenced is banned because Traxxas claims they have pirated Traxxas product designs. Traxxas therefore will not allow any mention, photo, link, or any other reference of that site or its products on the forum that Traxxas pays for.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-19-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Speed Calculations:
    - Going from 1600kv to 800kv, cuts the output speed by 50%
    - Going from 6S to 8S gives 33% increase in speed.
    - => Overall this cut speed to 0.66%

Assuming the motors are the same diameter...
    Stock gearing (15/54) goes from ~35MPH to ~24MPH (and I'm sure this equals instant backward flips)
    Tallest gearing (26/46) goes from ~71MPH to ~47MPH (and probably still have ridiculous torque)

26/46 gearing appears to push the motor the furthest away according to the motor mount (see picture below). So if I were going for pure speed (which I am not), I doubt I could fit a larger Pinion gear and the Spur gear doesn't appear to have much more room to shrink.

So the tallest I believe I'll be able to go without additional modifications is 30/46 (~55MPH theoretically).

So it looks like 45-50 is very possible here and still have torque and controlled temps. Sounds good.

RC poster
    Have you thought of amass connectors from the esc to the battery harness. I have them on my 8s rustler and get zero spark.

RC Qualifier
    Speed Calculations:
    So the tallest I believe I'll be able to go without additional modifications is 30/46 (~55MPH theoretically).
    With your 8S setup? Is your goal just to run the same speed the stock motor is capable of but keep your temps down?

Regardless, I am subscribed because it will be cool to watch the progression.

Well, 55 will be a big jump from the stock 35. And I'll bet this 8s setup will run cooler with more torque than the stock setup geared for 50.

If I were doing it that would be my reason!

The first goal is to see if it is possible, have fun and inspire others.

Second, is pretty much what you guys are saying. Lot's of torque, decent top speeds (not insane), while keeping the motor naturally cool without fans or heatsinks.

I really like to run 50. That's what I shoot for on every vehicle I set up. On this I'd settle for 45. Haha

Just received an update from Castle Creations on the XL X
    I am told by my production department that we will start shipping to our distributors next week. Keep an eye out for the announcement.

RC Racer
    Lol, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to try this. Already split a Pre-order with a friend who will take the electronics while I take the roller. Was gonna use the XL2 and 2028 till he got wind of the XL X. I was concerned with the proprietary motor mount but now some light has been shed on that. Great job!

PS The XL X is 6s with a better bec than the 8s XL2. I only plan to do 6s so it's a tradeoff of what's more important to your build.
    Last edited by B1gDawg; 12-01-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

Great to hear I'm not alone!!!

Actually, the XL-X is 8S (34V) as well. Don't go by their product page, which is not done yet. Just take a look at the paragraph text, it's garbage filler. I'm not sure why they'd even have this page available to the public.

RC Racer
    Great to hear I'm not alone!!!

Actually, the XL-X is 8S (34V) as well. Don't go by their product page, which is not done yet. Just take a look at the paragraph text, it's garbage filler. I'm not sure why they'd even have this page available to the public.
    Yeah, I thought it was their wry sense of humor. If its 8s that definitely a plus. I really wanted a stronger BEC than the XL2 so Im already happy with that. Really looking forward to it. Hoping Robinson Racing has some stuff ready for it soon. Rest of the truck looks pretty beefy. Like you, I cant wait to get it in hand to see exactly what needs to be done.My buddy also has the rare Neu-Castle 1520 1Y 1600kv laying around that may go as a backup in case the 2028 is a nogo. Fun times ahead!

Seeing Razor's XL2 thread, reminded me to post an update.

Castle has once again delayed release of the XL-X! Not expecting shipment until January now. This may change my plans... slightly.

RC Qualifier
    Seeing Razor's XL2 thread, reminded me to post an update.

Castle has once again delayed release of the XL-X! Not expecting shipment until January now. This may change my plans... slightly.
    But that XLX is just another 8s esc, right?
    Anyway, can tell what brand are those 8mm bore pinions. I am stuck to Kershaw Designs, and i want more options. They are hard to find...or maybe i just found the right spot...

RC Racer
    Don't you have some support for the rear of the motor planned? I think it will flex way too much or even break off the mount when just using the plastic mount in the front of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    Don't you have some support for the rear of the motor planned? I think it will flex way too much or even break off the mount when just using the plastic mount in the front of the motor.
    Very good point, the plastic mounting is temporary. I will have ones machined once everything fits correctly.

Decided to go with a Castle XL2 in the meantime, keeping the 2028 motor. Should get them next week.

RC Racer
    Decided to go with a Castle XL2 in the meantime, keeping the 2028 motor. Should get them next week.
    Waiting to get my X in hand. From my research, the 2028 will be a challenge. It seems that Traxxas put a pretty good motor in this thing. I'm also considering the 1717 motor but not sure if it will be an appreciable upgrade over stock. It's pretty much 2028 or bust. Stay tuned.

RC Racer
    The 1717 is smaller (without fins 46mm dia.) and lighter, probably not an upgrade at all.

You could try to fit a Leopard 5882 or 5892 though. Or a similar sized TPPower. That would make it easier to come up with a solution for the rear support. Don't think a long and heavy 2028 will work when mounted only in the front of the motor, even when the mount is aluminum.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast