Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    Castle XL2 Settings:
    One thing to note if using the Castle XL2, you will need to reverse the direction of the motor using the Castle Link adapter. If you simply reverse the channel via the Traxxas App, you will only have 50% power going forward (which is the default Reverse power limit) and 100% power in Reverse. Which I learned is good for reverse wheelies.
    You can also just swap 2 of the 3 wires going to the motor, right? I always pick the outside pair, but I think any pair swapped will reverse the motor.

RC Qualifier
    NBViper - The turnaround time to make this a reality is impressive! I have seen 8S XO-1s in person and know how much power those things have so this must be a sight to see in person. Are you going to build a custom wheelie bar for it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    NBViper - The turnaround time to make this a reality is impressive! I have seen 8S XO-1s in person and know how much power those things have so this must be a sight to see in person. Are you going to build a custom wheelie bar for it?
    Have you seen anyone try running 8s through the stock xo1 motor or ESC?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Have you seen anyone try running 8s through the stock xo1 motor or ESC?
    I don't know if the ESC will take 8S or not, it may not allow it. I know RazorHobbies is pairing the stock motor with a Castle XL2 so we'll see how that goes.

I've posted my VXL-6S and motor for sale in the market place in case anyone blows up there setup!!!
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC poster
    NBViper I'm ordering the xl2 system today, you have inspired me lol. A couple questions, the xo-1 spur gear will fit the xmaxx? Where were you able to find a 8mm mod 1 pinion?

Kershaw design has the pinion gears and the Spur gear is a standard X-Maxx spur. Part #6447.

Just got word from Dan at Kershaw Design as well that they are working on a machined mount for this setup. Looking at January timeframe.

RC poster
    Ok thank you very much. That's cool that they are working on one, I'll definitely pick one up. My plan was to just do what you did with the mount and take that down to the machine shop and see what they could do

RC poster
    I also looked up the part number you gave me and it popped up as xo-1 spur gear so that's good, we will have a bunch of different options since they are the same

RC Racer
    Kershaw design has the pinion gears and the Spur gear is a standard X-Maxx spur. Part #6447.

Just got word from Dan at Kershaw Design as well that they are working on a machined mount for this setup. Looking at January timeframe.

any info on pricing? what size pinion did you go with?

traxxas prob would have put the 2028 in the xmaxx if the didn't outsource the motors and esc's, now being made by a low quality Chinese manufacture, wouldn't be surprised if more cant on fire.
    Last edited by TwzteD; 12-22-2015 at 01:27 PM.

If they didn't outsource the motors and esc's, now being made by a low quality Chinese manufacture.
    Just about everything is made in China. Being made in China doesn't automatically mean cheap. I have friends that have the Traxxas brand ESC's and motors, and none of them have ever had any serious incidents with them. Think about it for a second. Why would Traxxas put something out there, that they're going to constantly have to keep supplying free parts and services for. If Traxxas (or, anyone else for that matter) did that, they wouldn't be in business very long.

Anyway, I have to say, that I would of rather had Castle stuff come stock with my brand spanking new Xmaxx, but even at that...guess where Castle's stuff's made...you got it, China.

P.S. I wrote the above for the sake of discussion, and not to lean on anyone. Take care and Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    I know castle is made in china, however the quality is much better,they probably have better quality control and pay the extra $$ for it to be made that way. go to RC-monster.com and look at the dissection of castle vs say a tacon or leopard hobby motor, the winding on the armature are much tighter and neat compared to the leopard motor, i would buy a leopard motor but im just saying the castle stuff is higher quality. being that you can get a castle 2028 for under 200$ and a leopard hobby 58-110 for 200 i would opt to go castle, however the only thing i see better is that leopard hobby has a 1400kv 58110 which is the same size as the 2028, so you can run it on like 6s or something. BTW traxxas lists the new 1600 VXL system for 500$ you can prob sell the stock system for 350-400$ and a new 2028 w/ an xl2 is around 350-400, that's what i will be doing if i get an xmaxx . this is a few years ago, they may have stepped up quality.

Good discussion. I'm a Senior Manufacturing Engineer in charge of manufacturing sites in multiple countries as well as deal with suppliers from various countries including China. Quality depends on the amount of control you have over the supply chain, assembly process and personnel. Many large companies manufacture excellent product in China because of the level of involvement they put into making a successful product, others just want it made cheaply.

Also, TowerHobbies and a few other sites are listing the VXL system at roughly $300.

Quote Originally Posted by TwzteD View Post
    any info on pricing? what size pinion did you go with?

traxxas prob would have put the 2028 in the xmaxx if the didn't outsource the motors and esc's, now being made by a low quality Chinese manufacture, wouldn't be surprised if more cant on fire.

No idea on pricing yet. I'm running a 35T pinion.

RC poster
    Awesome! Haven't checked the forum in a while, and you got it going! Super Sick!

Editied for posting banned website

*Admins please delete post if necessary

RC poster
    Is that a 1750kv motor?

RC Competitor
    Right around 800kv

RC poster
    I was asking fuglio, he had a picture and link of a motor he wanted to get for his and then they deleted it

The issue with the higher kv motors, it greatly limits the voltage you can put through them (without hitting its max RPM) and requires higher amps to get you the power thats needed. This leads them to running hotter. Low KV, allows for higher voltage, lower amps and lower temps. Since there is plenty of room to run a large pinion gear, the 800kv works well.

(This is my understanding, but I am not a brushless expert).

Quote Originally Posted by Jebusr1 View Post
    I was asking fuglio, he had a picture and link of a motor he wanted to get for his and then they deleted it
    I deleted it cause the links came up banned.

Since people were horrified by my zip-tie mounting... I decided to hack some metal I had hanging around to make a stronger mount. This is still a temporary solution, my faith is on Kershaw to come up with something nice.

I forgot to take a picture before installing it but it's basically a thick L bracket that I put some holes in.

RC poster
    Your combo is 35/46 right? How's that working? I got 32/46 on the way

RC Racer
    looking good, sofar the stock motor and esc are capable of 50mph, temps are unknown need more info on that.

Your combo is 35/46 right? How's that working? I got 32/46 on the way
    Yes, 35/46 and it appears to work really well.

looking good, sofar the stock motor and esc are capable of 50mph, temps are unknown need more info on that.
    The tallest gear combo available for the stock motor is 26/46, which is theoretically capable of 70mph on 6S. I think heat and power are going to be the limiting factors unfortunately.

RC poster
    I might to have to pick up a 35 also then, just sucks they are $28 a piece shipped for a pinion

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Tuned in!

So you're not going to test out the stock ESC/Motor?
    I wouldn't if I was him and already ordered after market. You could sell that not used for alot.

I tested it for about an hour to get a good baseline on the truck. This way I know if I was making it better or worse
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

We are still waiting for a Video

RC Racer
    he posted 3 up man go back a page

he posted 3 up man go back a page
    Thanks dude. I missed that one

So far everything is holding very well on this truck under 8S power. I'm very impressed!!!

Added the #6521 temperature sensor that wraps around the motor.

Also, just saw this on Kershaw Designs: http://kershawdesigns.com/Products-X-Maxx.htm They have there Motor & ESC mount combo pack listed as well as tires and batteries.

They are also selling Pre-Modified X-Maxx trucks here: http://kershawdesigns.com/8S-X-Maxx.htm

Pretty cool stuff!!!!

RC poster
    I doubt temps will be very high unlike the stock system

I doubt temps will be very high unlike the stock system
    Agree , however what I found out the hard way was that if you don't have a temperature probe connected, the receiver thinks the motor is overheating. Not sure if there is a setting to turn this off or not.

RC poster
    Ooooooo ok lol so I will need one also then

RC Qualifier
    Also, just saw this on Kershaw Designs: http://kershawdesigns.com/Products-X-Maxx.htm They have there Motor & ESC mount combo pack listed as well as tires and batteries.

They are also selling Pre-Modified X-Maxx trucks here: http://kershawdesigns.com/8S-X-Maxx.htm

Pretty cool stuff!!!!
    Those items are "going to be" for sale. They are not available yet.

There will be alot of aftermarket power systems for this truck. Castle will be next, they will probably make a whole new motor and esc for this truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I just want to see a motor mount that accepts similar to stock size motors of a different brand.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I just want to see a motor mount that accepts similar to stock size motors of a different brand.
    I am sure it is coming, just a matter of time. These traxxas always get lots of love.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    There will be alot of aftermarket power systems for this truck. Castle will be next, they will probably make a whole new motor and esc for this truck.
    Haha if it's one thing castle does, it's not making application specific hardware. The market has been screaming at them for a 10s capable system since large scale became popular. I doubt they will even honor a warranty for this type of use.

But this does look really cool and Kershaw is doing good by trying to stay with the game. I'm curious to see how the diffs hold out

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast